Chapter 3

Specimen

He smiled as he pushed away from his desk, standing so his dogs would fall out of his lap. Everything was going according to plan. Revenge truly was sweet.

He walked across the room to admire the portrait of his father. Kim Sr. here would be proud of what he has made. He reached up to touch the faded canvas lightly, glancing over all of the features preserved inside of it before settling on his father’s eyes. They were cold like how they were during his childhood, unforgiving and wanting his son to be absolutely perfect. 

He looked away and straightened the name tag on his desk in front of his computer. Kim Kibum (CEO) it read. He laughed a little and sat back down in his chair. This has been his job since his father died six years ago and he hasn’t ever regretted it. He was doing good work with what his father had built. 

Kim Industries had originally been a hospital that was known around the world as one of the best because of Kibum’s father. He had essentially built this place from the ground up and built a name for himself and his family. Kibum had been the oldest of the family and in turn, inherited the hospital and all that it was worth when his father died at the ripe old age of 77. It had been six years since then and with it, many changes. 

Kibum had always been interested in the human mind itself, not just the body like his father. For fun, he would make his school friends go insane with subliminal messaging and torture and he had managed to get them crawling back for more. Humans were funny little beings to him. He loved to toy with them. That’s why when he inherited the company he immediately got it off of the grid. He didn’t need anyone in his way. He had completely severed his father’s connections by staying silent in the business world for an entire year, making sure that they forgot about his father’s great hospital. 

And no one would question it. In the year before his father died, he had made it his mission to brainwash anyone from the original hospital so that they wouldn’t try to get it back to the way it was. The few new employees that came from small internet campaigns weren’t subject to the brainwashing, but they did have to live with all of the rules and conditions of his new empire. If they did anything against his wishes, they were dead. It wasn’t in the fine print, it was clearly stated in the paperwork, but Kibum knew that no one ever read that from what he had observed in the past. 

He built a magnificent place, he knew this to be true. The building itself was 30,000 square feet with five floors, three of which on the top were dedicated to the rooms which held the specimens. The floor beneath that was for employee dorms and his own private rooms and the ground floor was storage mostly. Of course, it had a lobby like any type of place, but it was rarely used because no one really knew about the place anymore. 

Kibum broke himself out of his trance and looked back at the computer monitor in front of him. The scene was currently showing what was happening in room 528. He smiled to himself. This one was his favorite. 

The anesthesiologist was currently running his hands through the specimen’s hair, looking sickeningly sweet down at the sleeping male. Kibum kept the smile on his face as the anesthesiologist shifted to kiss his forehead. How sweet. It almost seemed as if he cared about him. Kibum wouldn’t have known how to recognize it, his father never really showed him affection and his mother had passed at a young age. 

The anesthesiologist had finished packing up his things and Kibum had expected him to leave at least a little sooner like all of the others usually did, but instead, he stayed by his side, scanning up and down his body. It looked like he was tearing up in deep thought. Kibum studied his features for a moment and concluded that it was an emotion he doesn’t think he’d ever experienced before. To feel something of that caliber for someone that he would cry for them.

Wait, no. There was one person. His father. Even if they had always kept a business relationship between them, when he died, Kibum felt a sorrow in him that couldn’t be shaken for a while. Nevertheless, he had basically forgotten the feeling. It was even more confusing to see someone feel the love for the person it was aimed at. Kibum absolutely despised Lee Taemin.

Taemin was on the board of his father’s hospital committee even though he was so many years younger than what his intellect showed. He had apparently graduated college at about 14 and was honestly Kibum’s father’s right-hand man. Kibum swore that Taemin saw more affection from Kim Sr. in one day than he had in his entire life. He didn’t really envy the emotional aspect of that, but if his father was not as into family values as he was, Taemin would have been the head of the company rather than he. The other had always received so many praises and gifts and that made Kibum angry.

And so, when Kibum inherited the company, he made it his mission to make his life terrible without him noticing. He was given a private room, that was the exact same as the old dorms, but the others were given an upgrade that had cost at least $3,000 per room. Kibum had thought that that would make him feel a little bit inferior, but instead, Taemin had stayed the jolliest person on Earth. He told everyone who asked that he was glad to have privacy more than luxury. He was refusing to let the worse treatment get to him, and he still made Kibum feel as if he wasn’t doing as much as he could to make the company better. He was the one thing in the way of what Kibum wanted.

Kibum then tried something else that would have probably been illegal, but did he honestly care? He started out with little doses of something special he had asked his special labs to make in Taemin's food that was brought to him every day as a “gift from his beloved CEO.” What he had had made was essentially a drug that drove the brain to be paranoid and not able to function as well as it had been. It did not affect the way he worked in the beginning, making him only a little jumpier and hungrier whenever he ate. 

As the time went on, and the doses became bigger, it looked as if it was finally working like it was supposed to. Taemin couldn’t go anywhere without looking over his shoulder, was questioning about anything and everything, more paranoid each day. He still tried to keep up a happy facade, but every time he came into Kibum’s office, the other would smile as he knew what the bags under his eyes were about. He knew that he wasn’t getting any sleep because of the fact that his brain was telling him that there were always things in the background of the room or underneath his single bed. He had lain awake countless weeks, thinking about the fact that he was alone in the room and wouldn’t be able to call for any help.

It was almost pitiful. The key word here is almost. Kibum soon just got plain annoyed with how the boy just kept on keeping on and doing his work as perfectly as when Kibum’s father was alive. Finally, it was all too much and most of the staff had been brainwashed to do exactly as he said, and so Taemin was taken to become a specimen. After that, Taemin was treated worse than any of the others having his tests conducted every 3 days. Not to mention, he had at least 5 different tests than the other ones. It was a day of great achievement for Kibum in a way. He got rid of the one thing that was standing in his mind’s way of becoming the greatest.

Kibum continued to stare at the scene on the monitor until the anesthesiologist started moving again. He went over and grabbed his things before going out the door with a sad glance behind him at Taemin. Kibum huffed a little and flicked through the different rooms. He was satisfied to see the specimens being comforted in one way or another. He then shut the computer down and pressed a button on the phone of his desk. 

“Luna?”

“Yes sir,” came the answer through the speaker.

“Bring Choi Minho to my office please.”

“Yes, sir.”
 


A/N:

First of all, I would like to say that I am so sorry for the slow update with a short informative and not really action based thingy, but anyone who has followed anything I do knows that I procrastinate and never do things on a set schedule to be honest.

Okaaaayyyy so we got Mr. Kim Kibum, CEO into the mix!

Please don't kill me for always making him the villain character but I've been thinking about this since forever ago and he always fits what I want in a bad manipulative character. (not that he is at all manipulative, his intstagram posts literally make he seem like a marshmallow, but he can be super badass and y so many other times like seriously that born to shine stage gives me a lot of inspiration)

I hope this chapter explained a little bit more, if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask in the comments and I will be happy to clarify either in the next chapter or just in the replies.

Next chapter will definitely have more character interactions and hopefully some drama, I dunno how much I will include Jonghyun and Onew just yet, for right now they are kinda just slaves to Key... Might change, might not, dunno.

Anyway, I hope everybody liked this chapter, hopefully the next one will be up faster than this one because I came up with some more good ideas while I was bored testing *thumbs up*

As always, please comment to tell me what you thought about all that's happening here and maybe some other thoughts on what you think will happen next!

Thank you so much for reading!! *squeezes* Byyyyeee!