Say Cheese

I Have A Crush On You

I don’t know what sparked our friendship. I can’t remember if it was my shameless way of trying to get a photo of him, or if it was his crazy way of pulling me into his philosophical world of art and desserts. 

 

All I can remember is when my heart raced when he smiled so widely...

 

“What do you think the stars mean?” I turned over to him a small smile appearing, “What do you mean?” He chuckled, “I mean, why do you think they exist...all those bright colors and whimsical flashes, they gotta mean something right!?” I shrugged popping a lollipop out of my faded jeans. “Maybe they’re just stars...y’know the balls of gas that the universe just makes to eventually collide and form into something else.” Mark sighed as I popped the small er into my mouth. “You’re so boring Jinyoungie...don’t you ever question why?” He propped his body up from the soft sand. “Well, unlike a certain someone, I like to stay in the practical...it seems like a waste of time to question what we already know as truth.” The older male snatched the candy from my mouth placing it into his own, my heart skipped. “W-What...h-hey!” He got up running with a huge smile on his face. “Mark! Seriously!” He started laughing. I grabbed my camera as I followed him to the ocean. 

 

Maybe that’s why I envy him...he doesn’t settle for anything, not even the truth. He’s always questioning the what if’s and makes them into reality. I snapped pictures of him playing in the darken sea. I wish I could be him...but alas, I can only believe in the now...and right here and now he’s only my friend...

 

Maybe I do remember how our friendship started, because I’ve followed him since our high school days...like a shadow that lurked in the darkness, I could only watch him afar until that day...

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

“Jinyoung!” I felt a rough arm wrap around my shoulder. It was an annoying underclassmen I had met in the beginning of the school year, though I couldn’t tell you his name. Didn’t have a need to remember morons. I sighed ignoring him as I tried to fix my camera. “Still messing around with that old thing?” I rolled my eyes as I shook his arm off. “I gotta get to class.” He just nodded with a pile of people running up to him talking about parties in such that I have no care for. 

 

I entered the classroom, a heavy body jumping on my back. “Jinyoung-ah!” It was my old time friend Jackson, he was as equally annoying but at least he was the same age of him and more bearable. He jumped off my back, snatching the old camera from my hand. I groaned. “Could you not! It’s already broking as it is.” Jackson chuckled as he sat on his desk. “What’s in here anyways? You never showed my any of the pictures you’ve taken.” I snatched the antique camera from his hands. “Well how the hell would I show you if it’s broking ?” Jackson raised his hands in defeat, “Okay, Okay...don’t get all y on me.” I chuckled as I sat in my desk at the end of the row nearest to the window. 

 

Then, he walked in, with his perfect smile and alluring eyes. The foreign student, Mark was his name if I remembered correctly...despite the fact that we’ve been in the same class for all of high school we never talked to each other, actually we didn’t even acknowledge each other existence, well that’s an understatement from me. He always sat two seats ahead of me, staring out the window with a dazed look. I couldn’t help getting distracted like most girls do when they see their crush. It wasn’t unusual for the boy to be followed by a crowd of girls and a whole crew of fake friends that just wanted to leech off of him because of his popularity. I rolled my eyes as the class began to fill up. Damnit I wish I could fix this camera, then maybe I could catch a picture of the smiling guy. A small smile snuck it’s way onto my lips. 

 

In all honesty, I have always acknowledge that the American boy was real, he was and will always be my first real crush. The teacher walked in with his flaming eyebrows and bald head of his. I sighed placing the camera to the far left of my desk, pulling out the dreaded math textbook. “Class, we’ll be continuing the lesson from the other day, so turn to page 57 and begin working on questions 5-9.”

 

Like always those four problems would take half the class, actually I’ve been able to calculate the amount of time it takes for the foreign student to finish, he’s always first, and he finishes everything in the same time span. Like right now. “Woah, seems like Mr. Tuan our foreign student is already finished.” I’m always second, not that I mind, I’m not one of those kids that kill for grades, I just want to make sure I can get the information and be able to use it effectively.

 

“Now when taking the derivative of said expression you must...” The bell rung. “That will be it for today, do pages 58-60. I expect full completion of the homework tomorrow, go get ready for P.E.” 

 

Right, physical education, the dumbest class on the planet. I sighed as I closed my book, making my way down to the boys locker room. Jackson was right behind me with his other friend Jaebum, well JB, which the guy prefers to be called. Jackson tapped me on my shoulder as I undressed. “What?” He raised a magazine. “Finally got the prizes possession!” I literally puked in my mouth. “The is that a o magazine?” He laughed snapping his fingers. “That’s exactly what it is!” The gym teacher made his way down knocking on the walls. “Hurry up!” Jackson quickly threw the magazine in his locker. He leaned into me, “We’re totally reading it after school.” I rolled my eyes. 

 

Mark, the foreign student never comes out for P.E., I mean he’s pretty much the only one with an excuse. Aside from asthma, apparently he has a chronic lung problem, meaning too much over excursions on the lungs could possibly kill him. Though, he always assist that he’s fine. He tends to play a lot when they’re isn’t people worrying about him every second of the day. Speaking of which. I patted myself down as we got ready for dodgeball. 

 

“Uh! Sir...” Jackson snickered, apparently I’ve been doing this a lot lately, just leaving my camera anywhere. It’s my most prized possession you say, something my grandparents gave. I rushed upstairs after giving a half assed excuse that I needed to take my medicine. Look, lying is good, only if you have good intentions though! 

 

I huffed as I slid the door open, and there...something I never thought would happen. T-The f-foreign student...with my camera. He looked up snapping a picture of me with it. He had a glorious childlike chuckle. I didn’t know if I should scream, blush, yell, or run for my life. T-This would be the first time we’ve ever interacted with each other, like ever!

 

“Is this your camera?” I nodded as I slowly walked up to him. I tried to act like I wasn’t internally fanboying. “A 1967 model.” I was surprised. “H-How did y-you...” He smiled. “I actually have a strong fascination with cameras...I’m sorry for touching your things I just saw it and got really interested in it’s design, and I noticed earlier that you were tinkering with it...so...” He gripped my hand placing the object into my grasp. “I...um...t-thank you.” Jesus with the stuttering I sound like a four year old, more Importantly he’s been watching me? I mean I’m not complaining, but he doesn’t seem like the type...

 

“Say, why don’t you take a picture of me as a thank you gift.” I was shocked out of my mind. “A p-picture o-of y-you...ah, o-okay...” He just laughed, maybe he found this situation just as amusing as I found it terrifyingly amazing? He backed up sitting on the window frame, “Say cheese...” 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

“Mark do you remember the day we became friends?” I walked beside him as the sun began to raise. “Hmm, oh! You mean when I fixed your camera and I asked you to take a picture?” I nodded as I fiddled with my fingers. “W-why did you ask me to take a picture of you?” He giggled and shrugged. “I figured you wanted a photo...but why does it matter, I’m pretty sure you’ve deleted it by now.” A blush creeped onto my cheeks as I smiled shyly. Why would I delete such a photo, it was the first time you smiled at me, and the first time I could capture it. 

 

I felt a large smack on my arm. “First one to the car is not driving!” I gasped as he ran, “Hey! Mark that isn’t fair! You shouldn’t even be running right now!” He laughed with his tongue sticking out. “You should run faster slow poke!” I chased him, jumping on his back when I had a chance. “Woah woah you’re heavy!” I gripped his hair, “Are you trying to tell me I’m fat!?” He smirked, “That’s exactly what I’m saying!” I fell off, pulling him to the ground while we were both laughing.

 

I guess you guys can already tell, even if I’ve stated this...but this guy named Mark, I have a huge crush on him. I snapped another photo as he tried to block the camera. 

 

“Seriously!” I laughed, “Say cheese!”