The Win

Wenrene Actually

“Wen, what if you lose?”

Wendy shrugged. “It’s okay, Seul. I can try again. I can always try again. Besides, I won the last four battles against her. I should share every once in a while, don’t you think?” Wendy winked.

“Careful there. You might not be able to get through the door with a head that big.”

“Hey, you know how awful she is! Not only to me, but also to you and basically everybody. And you saw how she treated the new kid. It’s disgusting.”

“Forget it. You’re right. She can choke right now and I won’t bat an eye.” Seulgi sipped her mocktail. “But your pride is at stake, Wen. The whole office knows that you two are arch-nemeses.”

“I don’t care about that. We’re not in high school, Seul. If her work is better than mine, then so be it. If anything, it should motivate me to do better. I mean, I’m just trying to be professional here.”

Seulgi slow clapped. “Wow, this is the most mature I’ve ever seen you since forever.”

“You’re such a supportive friend.”

“I know.” Wendy could only watch as her last piece of sushi disappeared into Seulgi’s mouth. “We all know that she’s still salty over that rejection anyway.”

“For God’s sake, it happened in college and it’s been almost five years! Get over it already. I swear she's got a problem.”

Seulgi snorted. “You bet.” She wiped her lips. “Hey, I can find out about the result if you want.”

“How are you planning to do that?”

“I can ask Joy. We often meet in the pantry and gossip, so...”

“Oh, you mean ‘flirt’.”

“How dare you. What do you take me for?”

“An opportunist for starters.”

“Dammit, Wendy, I just want to help.”

“By trying to charm the pants off of our boss’ secretary. I’m so proud to call you my best friend.”

“Hey now, it’s not my fault if that turns out to be one of the, you know...” Seulgi grinned. "...results."

“Kang Seulgi, you minx.”

+ + +

“Irene? I’m home.”

“Hey,” Irene stopped stirring the pot and lowered the heat. “How did the meeting go? You said your boss would choose the project today, right?”

Wendy plopped down on the sofa with coat still attached to her tired body. “I didn’t get it. You-know-who's work won.”

Irene took off her apron and walked over to her girlfriend. “Oh, babe. I’m so sorry.”

She took a seat beside her and inched closer to kiss Wendy’s weariness away. Wendy, on the other hand, tried to lean back as far as her body could stretch. “Babe, I’m sticky and sweaty.”

Irene planted a kiss on Wendy's pouty lips anyway. “I don’t care.” She hugged her and said, “I’m really sorry to hear that, Wen.”

She heard her girlfriend sigh. “Yeah, but whatever.”

“No, seriously. I know how hard you worked for it.”

Wendy leaned her head on Irene's. “It’s okay. There will always be next time. Besides, I still won anyway.” Irene looked up and her frown asked Wendy a question that need not be said. “What? You know I will always win over her.”

“How so?” The genuine curiosity was as clear as day.

Wendy flashed one of those smiles that could easily dim all the stars above. “Because at the end of the day, I get to come home to you.”