You're here

(Air)plane

A soft breeze blows across the field, gently kissing Donghyuk’s cheeks as his eyes slowly open. He blinks and looks around, slowly sitting up on a field of nutmeg-scented geranium. The flowers stretched as far as his eyes can see, causing him to tilt his head in confusion as he slowly stands up.

 ‘Where am I?’

“Hey.”

Startled, he turns around to find a person standing behind him, looking at him with a warm and fond smile.

“You’re here. You’re finally here. I’ve waited for so long.”

Donghyuk did not know how to response to that. He opens his mouth, but then closes it and tilts his head. Sensing his confusion, the stranger simply laughs and then points at his pocket. Donghyuk blinks then looks at his pocket and reaches into it, inhaling sharply as he pulls out the paper plane. He groans and runs his fingers through his hair, shaking his head. “What’s wrong?” The stranger asks. Donghyuk sighs again, shoulders slumping, “This is the last one. I wasn’t able to attach it to the bundle before I left.” He mumbles.

“Bundle? I’m guessing you folded?”

“I did, but I guess it was all for nothing because I wasn’t able to meet my soulmate.”

“Why would you say that? That’s the last one right?”

“Well…yes but—”

Donghyuk watches in disbelief as the stranger, whose smile was slowly growing as he explains himself, burst out into soft laughter, his eyes crinkling and forming a crescent shape, his nose scrunching up in an endearing manner, and his bunny teeth showing.

 “Um…”

“You don’t necessarily have to form a bundle. You folded a thousand, right? Well, you obviously did which is why we’re here.”

‘What?’

Donghyuk looks at the stranger, who was still chuckling softly, with his mouth agape. How many times did this stranger leave him speechless when they barely known each other less than an hour now? When they both haven’t introduced themselves yet?

Finally calming down, the stranger gazes fondly at Donghyuk who still wears the same bewildered look that he saw when he first arrived. Wanting to test the waters, he slowly takes a step forward. When Donghyuk didn’t move, he takes another. The stranger finally receives some form of response from the other when he immediately closes his mouth and blinks. The stranger slowly advances as he spreads his arms open and gently envelops the confused boy in his arms and whispers. “My name’s Jiwon. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

A surge of emotions rises as Donghyuk releases a small laugh of relief, his eyes beginning to water. A pleasant warmth spreads throughout his body as he relaxes, nodding slightly while gently returning the hug.

“I’m Donghyuk. I’m so glad I finally get to meet you.”