The Thing About Dying

Forgive and Let Go

The thing about dying is that it’s not as painful as you might think, or it wasn’t painful in Luhan’s case. His death was instantaneous, no suffering. He was alive, and now he’s dead. 

 

It was an unfortunate incident, rather inconvenient as well. It was his birthday, the big two-nine, and like most young men he let loose. Partied till he died actually, on his way from one club to the next he got into an accident. A nasty crash involving his shiny new Lexus and an ugly red Prius. On impact he hit his head against the steering wheel, fell into a coma and died. 

 

So now here he is, in this all white waiting room, pamphlets discussing his various choices in the afterlife. He couldn’t tell how long he’d been in there for, there was no sense of time in this place, he was just waiting. At first it was a terrifying ordeal, thinking he was still alive he panicked and threw chairs and tables everywhere, only for the furniture to disappear and reappear where they where initially. Once he realized that he was in fact dead, it became frustrating. He was a rich, powerful business man, who should not have to wait for heaven to let him in. 

 

After a long while a set of elevators appear on the wall, lined with gold, there’s no number telling him where to go it just says ‘up’.

 

“Finally!” He groans, stepping into the lift and jamming the button repeatedly with his index finger, impatiently tapping his feet along the way. The elevator music is some corny song from the seventies and Luhan mentally lists all the ways he would improve the afterlife waiting room and the elevator to the great beyond. Gold plated everything, now that’s a room worthy of heaven. 

 

The elevator opens with a pleasant ‘ding’ and reveals a gorgeous landscape that Luhan’s too busy being irritated to notice. It’s huge white fluffy clouds everywhere, a glistening golden path guides him towards huge gates in the distance, white birds flutter around the clouds, singing and chirping cheerfully in a perfect melody that changes constantly, a tune no one could ever get tired of. 

 

Luhan strides towards the gates, huffing and puffing the whole way there. He stops at a security booth just to the side of the gates, in the distance Luhan can see dogs running around happily, people laughing and singing and leaping in joy. 

 

The person inside the security desk steps out, a horribly thick white book tucked under his arm. He has enormous cream colored wings dragging behind him as he walks, a thin gold halo hovering over the top of his head. It’s an angel, a rather gorgeous one at that, Luhan gapes at the mans beauty, dressed in a crisp white suit that fits perfectly. 

 

The angel clears his throat as he stands in front of Luhan “Name please” 

 

Luhan reads the gold name tag on the angels chest, “Minseok” he sighs

 

The angel, Minseok, rolls his eyes “Not my name you fool! Your name” 

 

“Uh right, oh yeah uh Lu Han” he stutters

 

Minseok opens his book, flipping pages swiftly as his eyes scan the pages. “You’re not on the list” he states after a moment “Take the elevator to the lowest floor.” 

 

This makes Luhan come out of his daze “W-what? Like hell?” 

 

“The underworld, the basement level, realm of darkness it’s all the same really. Now go along, I’m sure they’re expecting you down there.” Minseok shoo’s him away 

 

“That cant be right, I can’t go to hell!” Luhan shouts “I demand to speak to your manager. I’m a very important man! I cou-“

 

Minseok laughs in his face “What? You could have me fired? Luhan you are no longer a powerful business tycoon. Now go on to hell where you belong” 

 

“I don’t belong there!” 

 

“Hell isnt as bad as you think, it’s pretty easy work with weekends off.” Minseok gives Luhan a smile “They have great enchiladas in the food court” 

 

“I hate Mexican food” 

 

Minseok shrugs “You were an awful person in life, it’s your own fault. Now are you gonna go to the elevator or do I have to take you down there myself?” 

 

“I’m not going” Luhan stomps his foot, glaring at the angel. 

 

Minseok sighs, plucking his walkie talkie off his belt “Hey Junmyeon can you cover for me out here, I gotta take an unruly new arrival down stairs” he says, stopping for the person on the other end of the line to reply. “Okay, thanks so much I’ll be back s-“

 

“What? Jongdae is on duty?” Minseok interrupts himself, groaning “Alright I’ll be back as soon as I can.” 

 

The angel redirects his attention to Luhan “Alright, let’s get going” he sighs, gliding towards him, taking a firm hold on Luhan’s shoulder. Minseok gives a great flap of his wings, enveloping the both of them in a flurry of soft white feathers, a slight breeze flows around them and suddenly Minseok and him are standing in a steely reception area, a bored man playing a game on his phone. He looks up and beams 

 

“Minseokikie” he grins, leaping over the desk and striding towards the angel. 

 

“Please don’t call me that” Minseok winces as the receptionist hugs him tightly. 

 

Luhan gapes at the other man, shiny red horns jutting out of his head and a long curly tail pointed at the end, on his back there are a pair of wings as huge as Minseok’s except instead of plush white feathers, the other mans wings are black and leathery, like a bat. 

 

“I’ve missed you!” The man lifts Minseok off the ground “You never visit me!” 

 

“Y-you’re like a like a.. a demon” Luhan stutters

 

The man turns to him, flashing him a smile, revealing canines sharp enough to tear flesh, his name tag reads ‘Welcome to hell! I’m Jongdae!’ “Yes sir, you must be a new arrival!” He shakes Luhan’s limp hand, his crisp suit is so black it makes Luhan’s head spin 

 

“Yes, the sorting angels made a mistake and sent up to me. His name is Lu Han, dies in a car accident” Minseok informs Jongdae “So that’s all, I’ll be leaving now” 

 

“Wait no!” Jongdae and Luhan shout at the same time, both clutching onto his wings

 

“What?” Minseok groans

 

“Stay and chat with me a bit, you know how slow processing is down here!” Jongdae pouts

 

“I’m not supposed to be here! This place is for murders and like evil people” Luhan whimpers

 

Jongdae smirks “We take all sorts of unsavory characters. You know, greedy, manipulative people, we’re very inclusive!” 

 

Minseok ignores Jongdae, giving Luhan a quizzical look “Luhan, do you know the circumstances of your death?” 

 

“Well, yeah. I went to a club, got drunk and drive my car into some other ugly car. I fell into a coma and died from head trauma” 

 

The angel and demon exchange knowing looks “Luhan, when you crashed into that other car you not only killed yourself but the other person.” Minseok says softly “Luhan you’re a murderer” 

 

Luhan blanches, his eyes going wide, if he wasn’t dead he would’ve fainted “W-what?” 

 

Jongdae goes back to his desk and pulls out a thick black book, flipping to a page in the middle. He hands it to Luhan whose met with a huge page of moving pictures like a video. Its the accident, Luhan swerving around the round at an astounding pace, running red lights until he slams into that red car. It shows Luhan pounding his head against the wheel and then it’s the people in the other car. On the drivers side there’s a young man with brown hair and on the passengers side, the side of the car Luhan crashed into is a tan young man with black hair. Luhan watches in horror as the door crumpled onto the tan one, the metal breaking and piercing into his body. The other man is met with minimal injury as we screams as his friend dies slowly from enormous wounds. The brown haired one calls the police, they come and drag luhan out of the car and try to pry the man with black hair out of the squashed passengers side as he groans in pain. 

 

Luhan looks away, panting heavily. “His name was Kim Jongin, he was twenty four years old. The other young man is Oh Sehun, his boyfriend. Jongin died in the ambulance.” Minseok pats Luhan on the shoulder 

 

“I-it was an accident. I didn’t mean to” he starts to cry, feeling pitiful 

 

“Well you did, now it’s important you understand that this isn’t the only reason you’re not getting into heaven. You were a cruel employer, a mean person and frequently refused to offer helping hands when you were more than capable to.” Minseok lists, each point making Luhan feel smaller and smaller

 

“Is there anything I can do?” Luhan asks 

 

Minseok thinks about it for a moment “Well we could set you up on a mission of redemption, but first you would have to ask for forgiveness from Kim Jongin. Otherwise there’s nothing we can do for you”

 

“I’ll do it. I’d like to meet him” Luhan stands up straight

 

“Alright let’s get this over with” Minseok rolls his shoulders, clutching Jongins shoulder once more, Jongdae grips the other one

 

“Wait why is he coming?” Luhan glances at Jongdae who smirks

 

“You need a rep from both sides LuLu.” He grins wickedly, giving his wings a flutter as Minseok does the same. 

 

Half of Luhans body feels dreadfully cold, his vision swimming in darkness while the other half is enveloped in a blissful feeling, the odd combination makes him feel dizzy. It’s over in an instant, Luhan wobbling awkwardly, trying to regain his footing. The three of them are now standing outside a door of what looks like an apartment. Minseok knocks thrice, patiently waiting while Jongdae stares at him, practically drooling. 

 

The door swings open, the same man Luhan saw in the book, stands there. He’s dressed comfortably, in gray sweatpants and a loose fitting sweater, he grins at Minseok “Hi, haven’t seen you in a while” he grins “I didn’t know angels could pay mortals visits” 

 

Minseok smiles “Well technically you’re not mortal anymore but we angels tend to do as we please” 

 

Jongin nods, his eyes trailing over to Jongdae, then to Luhan. He squints at Luhan, disbelief written all over his face. “May we come in?” Minseok asks

 

Jongin keeps staring at Luhan but he nods nonetheless. The inside is in fact an apartment, a cosy looking one with colorful decor. It’s in the smaller side, but there’s enough room for two people to live in it. The TV is on, it’s showing some blonde guy solemnly working at a coffee shop, Luhan realizes it’s some sort of live feed of the other man involved in the accident, Jongin’s boyfriend.

 

“What brings you here?” Jongin asks, sitting down on a blue chair. 

 

Minseok clears his throat “Jongin, this is Luhan. I’m sure you’re aware of who he is exactly” 

 

Luhan stands up and bows deeply towards Jongin “I-I’m so sorry” he stutters, tears already flowing down his face 

 

Jongin regards him with disgust “Why did you bring him to me?” He looks at Minseok

 

“Luhan has been condemned to hell, he’s seeking redemption and can only start it once he has your blessing” 

 

Jongin swallows, looking at Luhans still bent stature “Stand up and look at me” He commands 

 

Luhan complies, looking into Jongin’s eyes, it makes him feel even worse. It’s a beautiful and youthful face, Luhan can feel the kindness and generosity in his eyes. This was indeed a person who died much too soon, the kind of person people mourn over for the rest of their lives. It makes luhan feel sick. “I’m sorry” he whimpers

 

Jongin’s soulful brown eyes glare at him, he glances back at the TV, his expression softening for just a moment before he turns back to Luhan “Why did you do it? Why would you drive if you where so clearly ed up? You killed me and ruined his life!” His voice cracks as he raises his voice 

 

Luhan has nothing to say, anything that he could think of just seems insincere. “Answer me!” Jongin yells, suddenly grabbing Luhan by the shirt collar. 

 

Minseok looks ready to stop a fight from breaking out while Jongdae leans back on the couch watching with intrigue. 

 

“I-I don’t know” Luhan stutters

 

“You don’t know?” Jongin asks in disbelief “You know while I’ve been up here I did some research about you. You died peacefully, painlessly and yet you where an awful person. You ruined many more lives before you took mine. But you died in your sleep.” He seethes “I suffered for hours. I remember what it feels like to have steel pierce my body straight through. What it feels like to have my organs torn. I wish you could feel what I felt” he heaved

 

“That could be arranged” Jongdae pipes up

 

Jongin ignores him “You made me suffer and now you want my forgiveness?” He shives Luhan away, making the other man fall in his “Forget it.” 

 

“P-please! I-I’ll do anything please I can’t go down there I know I can redeem myself” Luhan sits in his knees, begging. 

 

“What would his task of redemption be if I gave my blessing” He asks Minseok

 

“Well usually it’s filing paperwork, but you have the option of choosing for him” 

 

Jongin doesn’t say anything, he just turns back towards the TV, watching his boyfriend quietly take the bus home. “Could.. could he help Sehun?” 

 

Minseok looks at the TV “Depends in what he need help with” 

 

“I need Sehun to get over me, be happy even if I’m not by his side” Luhan watches the tears that swell in Jongins eyes but never fall 

 

“We could put him up to the task, but he would only have a month to complete it” Minseok replies

 

Jongin turns towards Luhan “Then you have my blessing.” He says coldly, before taking a deep breath “I forgive you Luhan”