Inktober: Days 21-31

Little Shop of Wonders
  1. DRAIN

 

 

“If I wanted to get rid of a spell I made but without casting it, can I do that?” Tae asks.

Jonghyun doesn’t look over at them from where he’s flipping through his spellbook. He holds a finger up when they start repeating the question, staying silent until he finds the spell he’s looking for.

“What, like drain it out of the bauble?”

“Yeah.”

He purses his lips as he reads the page in front of him.

“I mean, you probably could. With how volatile your magic is, if anyone could do it it’d be you.”

Tae goes quiet; they’re afraid to ask what he means by that. They haven’t been aware of their magic powers very long – only a few years at most – and they had never met another witch until they had come to the shop.

“What are you thinking about?” Jonghyun asks.

His expression is soft as he closes the book and walks over to sit on the edge of their bed next to Tae.

“It’s just…weird that you and Jinki’s magic has so many rules on it and mine is just so…”

“Chaotic?”

“Yeah! Like, even when I try to follow the spell sheets and everything my stuff still comes out wonky, but I’m not even trying to do anything weird!”

They don’t realize they’re crying until they feel Jonghyun wiping the tears away.

“Hey now, there’s no reason to be upset, dear. Not everyone’s magic is the same. And you have to think, both Jinki and I were born into magic families. We were raised in it, taught the rules from the beginning. When we were little we were just as chaotic as you. Because yours appeared late and with no guiding force, it’s just a little more of a force to be reckoned with than ours. Look at Ki. They’re first magic in their family too. Their potions were just as chaotic when they started. So many bad batches. And that’s even after they were in a coven with 20 brewers in it!”

“Why did mine show up so late? Surely it’s always been with me?”

Jonghyun smiles fondly.

“You’ve always had it. Even if you didn’t realize, you did. Sometimes it just doesn’t appear without an example to follow or some sort of event to bring it out. You said you’ve always been clumsy, yeah? That’s probably your magic. When I was little, nothing ever broke: even if something was broken, when I touched it it would mend itself. Sometimes things are just too small for us to notice. You’ll be fine, dear. I promise.”

“I just need to practice, right?”

“Yup. Practice and learning.”

“So…if I wanted to try getting rid of a spell would you help me?”

“Which part are you wanting help with? The casting or the removing?”

“Uhh…both?”

Jonghyun stands and walks over to the supply cabinet. He pulls out one of the smallest baubles, examining it in the light coming from the kitchen.

“I’ll cast you something really inconsequential and we’ll have Jinki supervise the removal, how does that sound?”

 

  1. EXPENSIVE

 

The first time Jonghyun wanders down to the basement to look for ingredients, only Ki is down there. He wanders around the shelves and boxes, peeking at what exactly they have around: most of it he can’t use. His spells usually only need a vessel – usually a bauble or box – and candle, but on occasion he can need sage or some other dried herb to help him along. As he looks, he picks up some of the less harmful looking bottles, trying to figure out what’s inside.

“Be careful not to drop anything, please.” Ki says flatly.

“What’s the most expensive ingredient we have?”

“In what sense?”

“I don’t know. What sense are there?”

Ki scoffs.

“Hey, I’m trying to be polite and learn about your art. My supplies only come in the ‘monetarily expensive’ variety. I know you aren’t sure about Jinki and I being here yet but…give us a chance?”

There’s a moment of guilt on Kibum’s face before they go back to sweeping up the ashes and embers out of their workspace hearth.

“Well, the most monetarily expensive ingredient we have is wisp stalks.”

“How much was it?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“What else is there?”

“Well, the most expensive in terms of collection is probably the jar of bioluminescent sacs from deep ocean fish. Minho’s had it forever, won’t tell me what it’s used for, but when I asked the man at the animal store he said that it took 10 years to collect that jar’s worth.”

“10 years??? For a jar of fish parts??”

Kibum stands up and pulls some crates and bookshelves back, reaching into a nook in the wall. The jar they pull out isn’t much bigger than their hand, but a bright blue glow spills out between their fingers. Jonghyun reaches for it, but Ki moves and puts it back.

“Sorry. I’m not even supposed to move it around so much.”

“It’s alright, I understand. I’ve never seen Minho angry and I’d just as soon keep it that way.”

“Yeah, it’s definitely preferable.”

“So…anything else?”

“Uhh, most expensive to use is probably mummy dust.”

“Mummy dust? How is that expensive to use?”

“It comes in a big powder bin like flour is usually kept; only, flour won’t age your tissues 200 years on contact nor will it cause necrosis or death if ingested.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. Oh is right. So if we use it, we basically have to put on huge protective covers and only one of us can work in case the other needs to make a cure.”

“Makes sense. But if it’s that dangerous, does it really need to be used?”

“Unfortunately yes.”

“For what?”

“Sometimes we use it to prepare other ingredients, some potions need just the tiniest sprinkle of it, that sort of thing.”

“So if the most expensive thing is wisp stalks, and the most expensive to collect is the fish things, and the most expensive to use is mummy dust, what is the most expensive overall?”

“Minho.”

 

  1. MUDDY

 

Jinki pushes the blinds of the front shop window open and heaves a sigh.

“Well, it’s raining.” he announces.

“You said it would be. Are you surprised by your own correctness?” Jonghyun asks from where he’s tidying up potion displays.

“No, but sometimes it’d be refreshing in a way to be wrong.”

Jonghyun chuckles softly as he finishes restocking and restacking good luck charms. Tae comes down the stairs with a big basket of hex boxes and other smoke filled baubles.

“Do we really have to go if it’s raining?”

“Yes, Tae, we have to go even if it’s raining.”

“But Jinki…”

“And what do you expect Jinki to be able to do about it?” Jonghyun asks with a laugh. “You’re Jinki’s protege but this is Minho’s coven.”

“Besides, it almost always rains on coven day. It’d be weird for it not to.”

“It didn’t rain last year for my swearing though!”

“Tae, in the five years Jinki and I have been in this coven, last year was the only year it didn’t rain.”

Tae huffs and starts arranging a different display table. Jinki walks to the back of the shop just as Gwi comes up the ladder.

“Are you guys almost ready?” they ask.

“I’m ready. Sweets and the baby aren’t quite. Is he ready?”

Gwi waits until Tae is done with their normal protest at being referred to as the baby before responding.

“He’s talking to his mom right now but he’ll be done soon.”

“It’s raining, per usual.”

Gwi smiles. “For Minho, it always does.”

“Are the cloaks still in the stair closet?”

“The regular ones are but the rain proof ones are down here. We’ll bring them up, don’t worry.”

Minho’s voice floats up from below but Jinki can’t understand what he’s saying. Gwi passes the message on about the cloaks and finishes climbing out of the hatch. First the bucket of five aquamarine cloaks then a teary eyed Minho come up behind them. Jinki looks towards the other two, who are on their last spells.

“You two almost ready?”

Jonghyun huffs as he puts ostensibly his last bauble out. “You know, the sun technically hasn’t even begun to set yet.”

Jinki walks over and kisses his cheek. “Yes, but the moon has already risen.”

Minho helps Gwi and Tae get their cloaks on and hands two to Jinki before putting on his own. They head out into the rain, Minho locking the door behind them. The walk to the cemetery isn’t terribly long; though their cloaks are enough to keep them dry, their shoes are caked and muddy before they even start walking over the soft earth. Though Jinki had led the way to the cemetery, he waits for Minho to lead them to the Choi family mausoleum and then behind it to their swearing stone: a huge chunk of oddly flat meteorite, surrounded by ripples of earth, with Minho’s seal carved into the top face and surrounded by the other’s four handprints.

“Are you four ready?” Minho asks, walking into the center of it all.

The four nod and the reaffirmation begins.

 

  1. CHOP

 

Though Tae isn’t quite pleased to have been woken up before dawn, they accept Gwi and Minho’s offer to tag along to Taeyeon’s shop. It’s been a while since they got to visit so they’re excited to see her. As before, the door is answered by the vine.

“Taeng, we’re here!” Minho calls out.

“In the greenhouse!” comes the response.

“Taeng?” Tae asks Gwi.

“Minho and Taeyeon have known each other since infancy. You know how much he loves to give people nicknames. She calls him Ming, just as a heads up. Why, I don’t know, but that’s between them.”

The sun is just starting to peek over the neighboring buildings when they come out to the greenhouses.

“Ming! Just the man I wanted to see this morning!” Taeyeon calls out, arms full of an oddly thick stems.

“Is that the only reason you’re glad to see me? Because I’m a man?” he teases.

They exchange cheek kisses and he takes the stems from her and out to the yard. Taeyeon comes over to give Gwi and Tae hellos as well, though Tae is distracted trying to see what Minho will do. Taeyeon disappears into the house in search of lemonade and Minho pulls out an axe from the side shed. Tae finds themself transfixed watching him chop the thick stems into short sections. They’re startled when they feel something cold on their arm, just to realize that it’s Taeyeon trying to hand them a glass. There’s a knowing smile on her face and Tae can’t help but to blush. As Taeyeon moves to give Gwi their lemonade, Minho takes his shirt off. Tae hears Taeyeon laugh but is too drawn in by the muscles of Minho’s back to turn to look at her.

“He’s certainly a refreshing sight, huh?” she teases.

“Like a tall glass of water.” Gwi replies, clinking her glass against Taeyeon’s.

“If you think he’s so refreshing, why didn’t you marry him?” Tae asks before they can stop themself.

They cover their mouth as Gwi smacks their arm and chides them for being rude. Taeyeon just laughs again.

“We grew up together. I wouldn’t say we ever had sibling-y type feelings, and when I was very little I did have a bit of a crush on him, but I don’t think we ever really had romantic feelings towards each other. Or if we did they weren’t strong enough to act on. If we had gotten married, the five of you wouldn’t have the…arrangement you have now, so it’s worked out for the best.”

“Oh.”

“Were you expecting some dramatic tale about it?” Gwi asks amusedly.

“Well…I was just…”

“Are you three just going to stand their and admire my all day or is someone going to help me stack these?” Minho calls.

Gwi and Taeyeon wink at each other and Gwi walks over to aid Minho. Taeyeon scoots closer to Tae, putting an arm around their waist.

“If Minho should properly marry anyone, it’ll be Gwi.”

 

  1. PRICKLY

 

Jinki is surprised to see the girl from the plant shop so early in the day. They haven’t even opened yet, though the door is unlocked. Actually, he was surprised to see her at the shop at all. Normally they would go to her shop when they wanted to see her – on account of all the biomass that needs a consistent careful eye. He watches her open the door with great difficulty and gets the feeling that something isn’t quite right.

“Well hello, odd to see you out and about.”

She laughs. “It’s been a while since I ventured out of my building yes. I was working with some specimens this morning and one had a bit of a temper tantrum. Is Minho in?”

“Wow, Taeng. Early morning?” comes Minho’s voice from the staircase.

“So remember that bonsai style dragon tree that I told you that I was getting in for a customer?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, the tree may be miniature but the thorns aren’t.”

“So you’re in a bit of a prickly situation is what I’m hearing?”

She laughs, though a little pained. “Yeah, I guess you could say that.”

“Come on down the ladder and we’ll get you fixed up.”

Jinki watches her make her way to the hatch, following Minho down. Curiosity peaked, he follows as well.

“Mind if I watch?” he asks halfway down.

“No, come on.”

  1. STRETCH

It was a simple enough task when Ki explained it to them. But now that Tae stands at the base of the ladder, waking up Minho seems more Herculean in nature than a daily chore. They tiptoe over, watching his magic eye swirl around in its jar on the shelf. Ki’s tips replay in their head as they watch his chest rise and fall: be gently firm, whatever he does is just him being grumpy, don’t make any sudden movements, if reinforcements are needed the rest of the coven is just a scream away. None of it seemed particularly helpful and definitely not reassuring in any way but Tae’s determined to finish tasks that they’re given to prove that they’re ready for more responsibility. Everything starts out small, as Jinki always says. With a deep breath, Tae sits on the very edge of the bed. They try to figure out the best way to go about waking him up: for all their advice, Ki never made a procedural recommendation.

“Uhh…Minho…Ki said it’s time to wake you up…” they say barely above a whisper.

Nothing.

“Minho,” they say a little firmer, “it’s time to get up.”

Again, nothing.

“If you don’t wake up, I’ll have to move on to option b.”

When Minho doesn’t so much as sigh, Tae does. They reach over and poke his shoulder once, twice, three times. They wait for a reaction that doesn’t come. Starting to get frustrated they shake him – harder than intend. Suddenly the room goes a little cold; the eye in the jar stops moving; a strange groaning starts; the walls appear to stretch and grow. Tae worries that something’s wrong with Minho and shakes him again.

“Minho, please, are you okay? Is everything okay?”

When Minho groans and opens his eye, everything snaps back to normal.

“What was that?” Tae asks, still nervous.

“Did Ki send you to wake me?”

“Yeah.”

“Remind me to talk to them about warnings. I’m up, dear, you can go upstairs if you want.”

Tae rushes to the ladder, afraid of what might happen next. Maybe they aren’t quite ready for responsibility yet.

 

  1. THUNDER

As he looks over at the other four members of the coven, Jinki can’t help but be overwhelmed with fondness. They’ve all squished into Minho and Ki’s bed tonight; two days of constant thunderstorming had finally worn down on Tae’s mental strength. They’d spent all day in tears and it took all four of them to get them to calm down enough to even try to go to sleep. Thankfully, the basement was much quieter, only the occasional boom slipping through the brick and cement walls. He shifts around a little, trying not to wake Jonghyun, who’s laying up against him. Once he’s comfortable again he reaches an arm over Jonghyun to rub Tae’s back. Minho’s got a hold on Tae as if they were a teddy bear. Even in sleep he continues petting Tae’s long hair ever so slowly. Ki lays on the other side of them, effectively staying as the barrier to keep everyone from rolling out of bed.

“Are you awake, honey?” comes Ki’s voice as softly as they can speak.

“Yup. I’m trying to enjoy the serenity of this.”

“Me too. You know, for someone who refuses to sleep on his back on a normal day, Minho sure has no issue doing it for Tae to sleep on top of them.”

“He does it for you when you get sick, you just don’t remember it.”

“Really?”

“Yup. You just get so loopy that nothing during that time sticks to your brain.”

“I guess that’s fair since you always get so-”

Jonghyun rolls over and opens one eye.

“While I love this chat and hearing your sleepy voices, I would love to actually sleep so shush.”

 

  1. GIFT

Thump.

Gwi looks up startled to find a package sitting in front of them and Jinki standing nervously behind it.

“Who’s the package for?”

“It’s, uhh, for you.”

“For me?”

“Yeah.”

“Did it come in the mail?”

“No.”

“Did someone drop it off?”

“No.”

“Where did it come from then?”

“It’s a gift. From me.”

“O-oh. Thanks.”

Jinki shuffles towards the counter, seemingly torn between watching Gwi open it and giving them space. Gwi tentatively pulls the package towards them. What could it be for? It’s the middle of March, so it’s not a birthday or holiday present. They hadn’t done any particular favor for Jinki – or Jonghyun for that matter. This is seemingly the only present so it wasn’t a ‘gifts for everyone’ present. Carefully they unwrap the dark green paper covering the gift, pulling it away to remove the lid. Inside are three smaller tins: two teas and one additional spice blend, all Gwi’s favorite brand.

“Oh Jinki, that’s so sweet of you!”

Jinki smiles and seems relieved at Gwi’s excitement.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what is it for?”

Jinki’s smile turns a bit sheepish. “Well, I felt kind of bad about the other day, with Minho…he had said that you and him had talked about it and that it was all okay between you two if we did I just…I just thought that perhaps it was impolite of me to go forward without asking you myself if it was okay. Not that I don’t trust him or think there’s anything like that between you two I just know-”

Gwi cuts Jinki off by walking over and kissing his cheek.

“I appreciate your concern. And I appreciate your gift. It’s alright, I promise. If it wasn’t okay I would’ve made it clear.”

Jinki nods. “I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.”

“How did you know what to get me? We’ve never talked about tea before.”

“I’m a fortune teller, remember?”

They both laugh and Jinki leans in close again.

“Just kidding, I asked Minho what he thought a good peace offering would be.”

 

  1. DOUBLE

Jonghyun falls face forward on his bed. Three straight days of spellcasting – on account of their most generous government official – had more than taken its toll on his body. His throat ached most but there wasn’t an inch of him that wasn’t sore. Before he had headed upstairs someone had said that they would come check on him but he felt too tired to wait.

The first thing he feels when he wakes up is a hand on his back. Maybe it was two hands. Either way the hand – or hands – is large and the way it caresses the small of his back his guess is that it’s Minho’s. Whenever whoever it is starts kneading into his back he can’t help but groan. There’s a soft laugh – definitely Minho’s – followed by more kneading.

“Feel that good?”

“You have no idea.”

“With how knotty your back is I can believe it.”

“How long was I asleep?”

“Four hours. Thought I’d try to loosen you up before Jinki finishes dinner and tries his best to force feed you.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it.”

Minho keeps massaging his back and Jonghyun almost falls asleep. Almost. He starts waking back up when he starts feeling more hands on his back than before. Did Minho grow more arms? Did he grow extra hands? Is he hallucinating?

“Hey, Minho?”

“Yeah, sweets?”

“Did you like double your arm count in the last little bit?”

“I mean Ki came and joined because your back is visibly terrible from working.”

“Oh. That makes more sense. Thanks.”

Jonghyun makes sure to fall asleep before Jinki can come and add his hands to the confusion.

 

  1. JOLT

Even though he’s not awake by any degree when it starts, Minho notices that Ki’s dream is slipping through into his. Happy memories of his own childhood become mixed in a kaleidoscope with Ki’s unhappy ones of the old coven. Sunshine turns into inky shadows; laughter turns into hushed whispers; happiness turns to fear. Ki must be sleeping too close, he must’ve forgotten to take out his magic eye. Minho finally starts walking up as the dream becomes more Ki’s than his own. When the dreams first started to appear, Minho would wake them up from it; however with time he found that it made it worse to. If the dream didn’t finish itself the first time, it would start over. So he simply lays close and keeps an eye on the progress of the dream. He’s ready when Ki jolts awake but makes sure to give them enough space to process what’s going on.

“Hey, my love, it’s just me here. It’s just you and me here, my love. It’s alright.”

 

  1. SLICE

Jinki’s pretty proud of his and Gwi’s decorations. Little pumpkins that glow, little bats that flap, tiny ghosts that float. If any trick-or-treaters come by – and they always do since the rest of the shops on main street also hand out candy – they’ll be the best decorated place out of them all. To make sure they’re prepared for the night ahead, it’s become a tradition for them all to eat a huge late lunch. Jonghyun’s just cutting the pumpkin pie when finally Tae wakes up and comes down stairs. Jinki watches them fumble their way down, somehow reminiscent of Minho waking up – though perhaps a bit more pleasant. When they finally reach the shop level they glance around at all the food and decorations.

“What…what are we celebrating?” they ask.

“It’s Halloween!” Jonghyun squeals.

“Isn’t that a little…stereotypical?”

“What?”

“Witches celebrating Halloween…”

“Absolutely not.” Minho says, kissing the top of Tae’s head.

“Are you sure? Because I was partially raised in a Christian orphanage and-”

“That’s enough, Tae.” Jonghyun says, handing them a slice. “Just eat your pie.”