Be the Light

Be the Light
Please log in to read the full chapter

3 years. 3 years was all it took for him to fall out of love with me and run into the arms of another. She was prettier, funnier, and all over more attractive than me. He told me himself. “You just weren’t enough. Sorry, but I need you to move out by tonight.” So now here I am, no boyfriend and no home. I moved to Korea with him a year ago, thinking that he was going to be with me for the rest of my life. My parents lived too far away to move back with them, neither of us could afford the plane ticket.

I found my way to an ajumma’s food tent. I was now about 2 bottles of soju down and finally pulled out my phone to call someone to see if they could help.

“Hello?”

“Kwonnieee~” I cooed.


“Where are you? Ryan told me you broke up with him and then you disappeared. Are you drunk?” He asked and I could hear the jingle of keys.

“Whaaaaat? He broke up with meeeee!” I exclaimed, causing the other patrons to glare at me.

“He said that you got into a big fight and you stormed out.”

“What a liar…”

“Listen to me. Where are you?”

“I wanna go home…” I hiccupped.

“Where are you?!” He exclaimed.

“Shhh! Don’t yell at me!”

“Okay, I’m sorry. But please tell me where you are so I can pick you up.”

“I’m by the park we would always hang out at.” I mumbled, feeling suddenly very aware off all the staring. “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU STARING AT?!” I yelled at them, causing them to scoff and look away. I sighed and stood up. Grabbing my purse and coat, I walked out of the tent and stared out at the dimly lit park as it started to rain. Memories of strolling through the park, hand in hand, flooded my memory. Ryan had family here so we visited several times. Each time, I couldn’t get over how gorgeous it was. I slowly made my way to a bench. Once I sat down, I noticed the spot where we made our mark on a tree. A small heart carved out of its bark. I closed my eyes and thought back through the last year.

When we first moved out here, we were happy as ever. We both found jobs quickly. We spent time with each other often. Then Ryan started staying late at work. I got fired from my job. We could barely afford rent. Then I got another job. I was a stylist for a company. We could afford rent again, but I was seeing Ryan less and less. It got to the point where he wouldn’t come home most nights. I knew something was up, but I didn’t want to assume the worst. He wasn’t the type to cheat. Until today, that is.

“Hey!” Yukwon’s voice rang out as I opened my eyes.

“Oh! Kwonnie!” I exclaimed, standing up and stumbling as my heel on my shoe broke. “Oh come on!” I yelled, tears pricking my eyes.

Please log in to read the full chapter