Two

Love, Undiluted.

Lorenzo Mancini, or simply Enzo, had been a manager and close friend of the Kang family for more than five years, even before Seulgi thought of posting covers on youtube. If there was anyone this lanky and tall, sophisticated looking man could trust was Kang Seulgi and by extension Kang Hyunwoo, her father. He trusted his decision to send the young woman to the countryside, but at the same time he questioned why he had lied. As a man from humble families, so closely intertwined, lying was never an option no matter how harsh the truth. But at the same time, he could sympathize with his decision.

 

You see, he knew Seulgi when she was her sweet old self, so eager to live and so eager to experience this new path in life. But now, the girl had lost this glimmer, and he too was crushed by it. Crushing it further was not something he wished to do and he would avoid so given the moment.

 

So, now, he had to arrange things to get Seulgi safely to the middle of a field in nowhere, really, safe to her family--her aunt Kang Eunji with her husband Park Joonhyung and their myriad of children who Seulgi would have to memorize by name, face and probably birthdates, too. Well, perhaps it was an exaggeration, but hey that’s what sounds more appealing.

 

Either way, in that aspect, Enzo did not envy Seulgi but he normally envied her for a lot of reasons. She had a life ahead of her, but she was ready to tarnish her image and her hard work due to some lousy mood swings and what not; he was afraid she’d do something worse than kicking someone next time and he knew that a very emotional lady like her would do just that. Enzo’s own time and youth was very much gone and if not for the Kangs he’d be somewhere else, but at least he can use his wisdom earned from his bad path in his life.

 

Sometimes, you’ve got to pull back and relax.

 

But now, he nervously wiggled his leg as he rang to this foreign number in his notebook. Not too foreign, he knew what it was for, but he had not spoken to the other Kangs in quite some time. Or if ever! Perhaps one or two occasions where he had bandied words with the now deceased Kang Rokhyun and Eunji by proxy, but nothing like this.

 

Cheerful greetings came over the phone from more than one person, an usual Kang trademark. Now, things were getting arranged for Seulgi, and Enzo himself made sure of such. Not a single detail was missing in his mind, everything was to be prepared and arranged. Even taking into account Seulgi’s peculiar fear for horses.

 

A room for Seulgi, sharing with the youngest girl of the house Sooyoung, she’d be shown around town, around the farm and thus given manual work in the mixed farm.

 

Yes, they were mixed, so they had to take care of cows and other animals to keep producing dairy products and to boot had to take care of the crops! So, the more hands they could get the better. Granted they had workers, but some of them had taken vacations to visit family members and tend other social necessities, and so the children were put to work, this being summer and all--but now Kang Seulgi will be thrown into the mixture.

 

The arrival was arranged, a warm welcome from all the family was guaranteed and the phone call ended.

 

But then, Enzo had forgotten one crucial part of the arrangement.

 

They were not to tell Seulgi about Grandmother Kang’s conditions. Curses and curses, Enzo mumbled. But it was part of his orders. He had picked the phone up again and began dialing half way when he realized it … was of no real use. So, he hung up without a second thought and hung up for certain, without a doubt.

 

it, he thought, knowing she’d find out one time or another wasn’t going to make a difference. It was better if they told her before it actually happened, god forbid it despite it being inevitable. Reality had been harsh on Kang Seulgi ever since she became a star, perhaps the reason she had lost the shining in her eyes, but this was a fact that no one could hide from her. That was the cruelest of all things to do. It was final, and Enzo was willing to take the punishment and consequences for not telling.

 

Right outside the door of Enzo’s office was Kang Hyunwoo himself, who could not hide a slightly saddened smile, his body hidden well in the darkness. Out of all the people, he knew Enzo would dismiss his request for total silence, but at the same time he knew he’d be smart enough to catch that once Seulgi was at the farm, she’d have to put face on. She’d find out soon or later but whatever she did when finding out better not be in front of said Grandma.

 

Hyunwoo was pleased that Enzo had not forgotten to do what was right, even if it meant disobeying his bosses. After all, that was the quality Seulgi admires the most from Enzo. Truthfully, Hyunwoo was regretting not telling Seulgi, but seeing her so weak and enraged was perhaps what got him so soft. No one wants to see their children that way.

 

Either way… he trusts she comports herself and to make the best out of it, no matter what happens.

 

 

It was around twelve hours later after the scandal--definitely more, no less. News were all over the media that the sweetheart Kang Seulgi had kicked a paparazzi right in the stomach. It was all over the world, in every corner of the internet next to all the posting and the memes.

 

Seulgi’s phone was blowing up with text messages from her friends, some wrong numbers, some booty calls and from people offering interviews to clear her image though the damage was done. Not long after, a few other people--eye witnesses of the matter--came across to certify that Seulgi had indeed done that. Naturally, rumors began to spread.

 

Apparently, it was nothing but Seulgi getting her revenge on an evil man for taking compromising pictures of her in ual deviant ways. Whispers around said that the man owed Seulgi some money, some others said it was the illuminati who told her to do it. Some said that the man was ready to ually harass her, and of course some edgy kids saying that she probably deserved it and that she’s lucky that the reporter wasn’t an alpha-male otherwise he would’ve pimp-slapped her… Deplorable behavior really, taking it to both extremes. But alas, that’s the world we reside in, and hiding behind anonymity makes everyone brave enough.

 

What? Did you think that I wouldn’t portray the media as ty as it is in real life? I know this is fan fiction, but geez.

 

Anyways. Seulgi was not reading a single thing about it, probably for her sake, as she was already on her way to the middle of nowhere, her arms crossed and her posture tough as nails… from the neck down. From the neck up, you’d be able to see the girl with wide open and snoring a little bit as she sleeps. Having left her phone at home at the care of her father, she was completely disconnected and sleeping peacefully.

 

In her bag there was everything she needed but not everything she wished. No magazines, no newspapers, no electronics, no phones, no tablets, no computers, no nothing. Clothes, more clothes, her favorite brush, her A-game, just two cans of pringles (Two, what a blasphemy), and some spirit, because she was going to need the latter.

 

No socks though, the silly goose, she would have to buy some.

 

It had been a long plane ride from Hollywood. First for all, the incognito ride to the airport was managed almost successfully, save from a few fans noticing the petite and slim woman with a cap and a face mask covering her body…

 

Oh and the four bodyguards dressed in all black, with sunglasses and , walking all around her. However, while the first two fans were discreet and kept quiet, the three dude-bros that spotted her made it no secret, trying to approach her to… prove something, I don’t know. Just annoying, but Seulgi almost preferred it to the blood curling screeches from some people.

 

Whatever, the twenty one year old woman got onto the plane and finally made it where she was suppose to make it. This time, no ruckus in the airport, not a single soul bothering her, everyone minded their business. God bless.

 

“Hey, Miss,” the driver suddenly spoke. “We’re almost there to the farm.”

 

Seulgi, groggily, responded with a groan and stirred herself awake, trying to open her heavy lids. She did do it eventually, and she found herself greeted with a beautiful environment, not at all like New York, Hollywood, Florida or any big city.

 

It was a seemingly quiet town although not quite. People were outside, sure, but people were smiling, it wasn’t crowded by any means but citizens were there, people passed by one another and greeted each other every now and then. As the car stopped at the red light, she saw no cars trying to step on the gas and possibly cause an accident. It was a friendly looking town, and it was making Seulgi feel… strange?

 

She was missing her home, but at the same time she wasn’t missing the morning commute to wherever and the hassle. It was afternoon, the beginning of summer, so many kids with light attire were going around having fun, running errands and what not, catching up with friends who they hadn’t seen too frequently due to school, ready to do some hijinks perhaps. A childhood that Seulgi herself shared, except the pranks, she was the one getting pranked.

 

“Jesus,” Seulgi said softly, almost as if she believed herself to be dreaming still.

 

“What?”

 

Seulgi brushed away the question and continued marvelling herself in this foreign world of hers. It was the epitome of what a quiet town would look, and she herself wondered if there were to ever be any kind of trouble or dramatics. There were a lot of questions while a bizarre fondness grew within her, even if she didn’t like the idea.

 

Well, what she didn’t like was that she couldn’t take pictures of this scenery with her phone.

 

Soon, they trailed off from town and a little further away, now being engulfed by vast creamy green fields, tender clouds sporadically resting in the blue sky. It was a definite breath of fresh air, something Seulgi was admiring by the window of the car.


The detour was soon over, as the car inched closer and closer to a slightly familiar farm. The young korean girl couldn’t remember the farm well at all, having visited only once when she was a little girl and never to be seen around these places again, thus this all came to a surprise.

 

The medium sized gates surrounding the field, the farm and the big family house that Seulgi could see already, were still holding strong though the color had seen better days. Pulling up in the big closed gate, the driver sighed in accomplishment and spoke. “I leave you here.”

 

“What?” Seulgi suddenly woke up from her trance. “Wait, no, the house and farm are pretty far up, drive me there--.”

 

“I was told not to do that,” the driver shrugged.

 

“By whom, exactly?”

 

“Enzo.”

 

Dishonor on Enzo’s cows. Seulgi groaned and opened the door with a obvious sign of anger and defeat. Slamming the car’s door closed, she signalled for the trunk of the car to get open and the driver didn’t even step outside of his car to help her. If there was something peculiar about Seulgi is that she looked like an angel…

 

… That could kill you. But that was recently more than ever.

 

Putting her backpack on and grabbing her two bags, manhandling them really. Now, walking up to the gate, she pushed it open herself and dragged both bags in, literally hearing the car starting to immediately pull back and going down the road at the speed of light.

 

Hell, she couldn’t even ask for some help. Enzo was going to get a kick in the shin by the time Seulgi returned home.

 

It was a little late in the afternoon and not a single soul could be heard from the distance, perhaps the distant animal but no one at all. Or at least not for now.


So, with an annoyed sigh, Seulgi dragged the two bags by their handles, thankful for the working wheels. But it almost seemed that the dirt road stretched further and further, as she walked the long path, starting to become increasingly exhausted.

 

You see, she did not sleep on the plane, or at least not on the entire ride and not well. Sleeping in the car was the equivalent of sleeping in the plane just randomly running into bumps and an aggressive honking.

 

But now, she was getting nearer. The house was on her left, the road separating in two ways. One was the way to the house and the other one was up to the farm buildings and the vast fields where the sun was hiding down the horizon. It looked gorgeous, sure, but she all she wanted was to sleep now.

 

Turning to where the house was, she saw the front porch already had two people in the rocking chairs, not as old as Seulgi envisioned them, but slightly more wrinkly and with an undying energy taht she could feel already.

 

Those were Park Joonhyung and Kang Eunji. Eunji being Seulgi’s aunt, her father’s sister. When Grandma Kang asked for someone to take care of the family farm, Eunji wasted no time to jump into the offer--remodeling it, taking care of it for however long she could.

 

Soon comes in Joonhyung, an eager and handsome man from town who wished to help the lovely Grandmother Kang and help the heir of the farm. Inevitably, the two fell in love and had lovely children together.

 

That’s all Seulgi knew of course, or as much as she could remember.

 

“Seulgi!” Joonhyung was the first one up in the chair, his blonde (dyed) hair still vibrant and youthful, his skin as richly tanned as it always was. He was as tall and fit, too! All the farm work had kept him young. “Let me help you with that--Kids, Seulgi’s home!”

 

Thank god, said Seulgi. Finally someone ready to help.

 

When she got near enough, she was engulfed in a big bear hug from Eunji, whose brunette princess hair was still reaching down her buttocks and as silky smooth as always. “Oh my god, you’re even prettier in person!”

 

Seulgi couldn’t help but to drop her bags instantly and hug Eunji back. Sure, the girl was not content with this random decision, but she did not have the heart to rebel against her aunt, greeting her so warmly, so she shrugged the anger away. “Ah, you’re still pretty, aunty.”

 

“I know, right?” Joonhyung suddenly chimed in, approaching the scene with a big grin and waiting his turn for a bear hug. “I’ve lucked out with my wife.”

 

The moment she detached herself from her aunt, she could see she was still fit as well. Maybe the married couple went to the gym. Or had their strict regime of chasing cows and chickens as they escaped from their shed.

 

“We’re so glad to have you around.”

 

Seulgi smiled, inevitably. It almost looked like she was never angry at this in the first place. Now exchanging a big hug with Joonhyung, soon someone came out of the house, two people in fact.

 

“The others are all showering, I’m going to have to do it, pop.”

 

Now detached from the hug, she could see the young man, but not entirely recognize him at first until Joonhyung called him by name--or well, a nickname--as he grabbed the other bag and Seulgi’s backpack to help it up the stairs.

 

“Upstairs to the girls’ bedroom, Jay.”

 

Jay? Park Jaebum? He had grown a lot! He used to be lanky, perhaps a little shorter, but now the young man had grown to be a formidable looking. Bulkier and taller, the hint of a goatee present in his chin, his jet black hair a little crazy much like his attitude when he was young. Seulgi wondered if it were to be the same now.

 

Seulgi’s memories with him consisted of him always picking on the others and playing pranks (have a guess on who was one of the occasional victims when visiting the farm), which was something Seulgi herself didn’t find amusement or liking to, but she was told that with the years he had mellowed out and had found himself a very lovely young girl from downtown that sold the vegetables they transported there.

 

Perhaps this was the young girl that stood by the porch, next to the door as she watched. Her smile was giddy and warm, her hair bundled up in a ponytail and she looked at Jay rather lovingly. Definitely was her; Sarah Clover. But for good measure and just to be sure, Seulgi pointed at her with unintentional rudeness in her gesture, making Sarah feel a little uncomfortable in return. “Auntie, who is she?”

 

“Oh,” Eunji laughed softly, lowering Seulgi’s hand, in a nice manner. “That’s Sarah, Jay’s girlfriend, she’s staying for dinner.”

 

“Let me point, will you?” Seulgi said half-jokingly, a pout and a certain hint to her tone.

 

“Hush, don’t do that unless you know someone,” Eunji firmly stated in a whisper, now watching Sarah coming into the house.

 

“It isn’t THAT bad--.”

 

“Seulgi! Over here, let’s get you to your room!” Joonhyung shouted from inside the house, getting both of their attention.

 

Okay, Seulgi would fight about that later, for now she had and wanted to settle down in her new home… for the summer… while her movie premieres and she’s not there to see her own rise to stardom.

 

, now she was slowly getting a little upset.

 

She walked her way into the house and was greeted with the quintessential hollywood-esque house of a big happy farm family. It was cozy, homey, spacey and, most importantly, very of the Parks. Family events and other shenanigans were all photographed and portrayed in the walls--well, surely not all the events they have attended, but certainly a lot of them. A marathon, the Town’s easter egg carnival, poetry contest, dog racing contest…

 

Seulgi thought that she, for a moment, was inside a harvest moon game.

 

“Right upstairs, Seulgi,” Eunji suddenly nudged Seulgi in her lower back, pushing the all-too-slow woman forth.

 

The lanky young super star walked forth and up the stairs, seeing more pictures but this time nice painted portraits of landscape and the countryside life, ala Bob Ross. Nothing avant-garde or exotic, nothing bizarre or abstract that her world always had around. Up the stairs and down the hallway, at the very last door to the right was open, voices coming out of it, overshadowing the sound of showers that was present to Seulgi’s ears as well.

 

Without any qualms and with a lot of confidence, she walked right into the room, finding that it was absurdly pastel pink, very teenager-like. It was perhaps just like a hollywood teenager in the eighties--the only thing missing was perhaps the peculiar boy model poster on the walls, instead replaced by more modern artists and models she could never pin point the name of but has surely met before and had unpleasant drunk fights with. Well, the last one she was not too sure of. They all looked european, with chiseled features and strong eyes, but perhaps a stiff posture, or maybe that was just Seulgi’s critique to it. Maybe in Europe this kind of posing was attractive?

 

It was rather interesting, but what was not interesting was the two beds in the room.

 

Two.

 

“Uh,” Seulgi chimed in, grabbing Joonhyung and Jay’s attention as they adjusted the beds a little more against the walls. “I’m… I’m not sharing rooms, am I?”

 

“Yes, you are,”  Joonhyung replied, sounding a little less cool and loose than before, watching Jay walk out of the room with the mission now accomplished, but also knowing that the war was about to start in this bedroom. “You’ll be sharing rooms with Joy, the guest room is taken and it’s too small--.”

 

“What?! No, but I wasn’t told of this,” Seulgi gulped, suddenly very wary of what was in her bags, especially her underwear and... what not.

 

“Obviously not, your father told me not to tell you!” Joonhyung smiled suddenly, crossing his arms and standing his ground. “He thinks you need to be brought down from your high cloud.”

 

Outside and down stairs in the living room, Sarah, Jay and Eunji were looking at the stairs and grimacing. Jay knew instantly that this was going to turn into an argument, one that would leave Seulgi groggy all day and night, probably pissing off grandmother Kang. He voiced out his concern as well, his girlfriend agreeing to it but Eunji just shrugged and dismissed Jay’s comment with a wave of her hand, sitting back down on the couch and sipping quietly into her cup of coffee. She was prepared, especially because it was going to be a bit of a culture shock and secondly because the conditions of the elder in the house were stress inducing…

 

She had expected Seulgi to snap quicker, even.

 

“What high cloud?!” Seulgi raised her hands, her tone raising.

 

“You’re raising your voice,” Joonhyung firmly stated, no longer smiling.

 

“All I ask is a little bit of privacy, I’m here because grandma asked and I’m only staying because of that,” Seulgi crossed her arms as well, stubbornly stating her ground, too.

 

At the mention of the old lady, who right now wasn’t home but at bingo with her old friends, Joonhyung sighed a little, shaking his head. “I just followed his orders, and I don’t think your grandmother would be fine with you yelling, riling her up like that.”

 

Seulgi her teeth and looked away, not with defiance but with defeat. She was tired of fighting with people, especially those who were hell bent on the idea that she was the devil or something.

 

“So, you behave in front of her and you behave with your roommate, otherwise we’ll have a problem.”

 

With a sigh of defeat, Seulgi nods, biting the inside of her cheek. “Alright.”

 

“Good, now, settle in and rest,” Joonhyung then begins to walk away, before remembering something, turning around. “We’ll have dinner around two hours or so, Sarah will be here as a guest. So, behave.”

 

And with that, the door was closed and deafening silence came right over.

 

This was going to be a tough stay, yearning to go back home to where she felt more comfortable, perhaps stressed--her natural habitat now--but at least she felt less attacked. Hell, at least she knew where the goddamn bathroom was, with this many cousins and this many rooms she was afraid she’ll enter at the wrong time and the wrong place.

 

No time to think about that though, as it was time to unpack and find a place to hide the more imprudent of things she had foolishly bought along, keep them away from the eyes of her room mate, who--if she remembered correctly--was underage AND quite nosey. As well as a loudmouth.

 

Dear lord, save Kang Seulgi.