Supplemental Author's Note

Waiting For A Train

Hey! Thanks so much for reading my first fanfic posted here! If you can’t tell already, the fic was Paradise-inspired. I decided to write something with my interpretation of the MV + lyrics because I loved how they seemed to convey such a sad and deep message. Firstly, take the whole of Infinite to represent one collective being. Basically, the OC (female lead in the MV) and Infinite were lovers. However, due to some unfortunate incident (side note: possibly told via Be Mine?) Infinite has since died. However, his ghost lingers and continues to haunt her and she, too, can’t let go of her feelings for him even though he is long dead.

In the fanfic, I represented her as living a blank and lonesome life—an indication of how she really has no reason to live anymore. She wakes up not in the morning but in the afternoon, well into the day, because she has nothing to do (and because she repeatedly stays up into early morning, for reasons soon to be explained). She eats dry cereal because that is all she has and doesn’t bother to clean up after herself. The email is a daily routine which she does in order to appease both Inifinite’s dead soul and her own suffering one. The computer and email address which she sends a short log of her daily life is used for the pure purpose of sending those messages and the recipient email ([email protected]) probably has an inbox all of her sent emails, all unread (unless some spam had leaked in there, which would be unfortunate). nauisarang = 나의 사랑 = “my love.” Lastly, the bank account issue was part of Infinite’s plans before he died—he ensured that she received a monthly source of income when he wasn’t there to take care of her anymore.

When she goes out to the yard, the ghost of Infinite gets worried because she has left the “paradise” of the house—he needs to keep her close. But she assures him that she wouldn’t be running away and returns indoors quickly. She then proceeds to shower and make herself look pretty, including her shoes. It’s all for the meeting with him that night. A meeting that occurs every night, in fact, and the reason why she sleeps in so late in the morning.

She then moves to the room where he appears each night and waits for him. Finally he shows up, not in a purely transparent, untouchable ghost form but not purely alive, either. Like every night, they have a conversation. It ends with him tell her that he needs her to stay there. And because of her feelings, she can’t bring herself to leave. The cycle starts over again the next morning.

In the end, it is an extremely angsty story about both lovers refusing to let go. For him who is dead, he is supposed to go to the paradise where dead people go. However, because of his undying love for the OC, to him, paradise is wherever she is. Hence, his soul cannot move from the house and he continues to haunt her. This is not enough to keep her there, however. The larger reason for which she stays in the house comes from within herself. Like him, she cannot let go of their love and these are these feelings which keep her “locked up” in the house they used to live in together. Both of them are waiting for the train that will take them to their true paradise.