III : Initiation

GAMMA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter III:

Initiation

~

A black car was parked down the street from Haera’s house, which drove Boa and Haera to the Institute. There wasn’t much she needed to pack, her personal belongings really just fit in her backpack and an extra suitcase. However the moment they were in the backseat a heavy feeling fell over the both of them. It was a noticeably awkward silence, they didn’t know each other personally, but there were so many things that were intimately similar between them. This women knew Haera’s parents better then she did. She knew what Haera was, something that was kept from Haera since she was a kid.

The city scape passed by, tinted by the car windows. The thought of speaking up wouldn’t leave the girl’s mind; if Boa knew more than her, Haera had to talk to her. She had to say something. “Uhm...so, like...magic is real?” Haera shuffled in her seat a little as she asked.

“Well yes and no.” Boa laughed lightly. She could tell Haera was trying, and though Boa saw her as someone special, Haera had been oblivious till that night. The fact she wanted to try and get to know Boa, meant a lot. Even in its simplest form. “Essentially the Guardians were the most pure form of ‘supernaturals’ to ever exist. They had the capacity to change physical form upon will, and control matter with their minds. When their time ended they began to devolve, their bloodlines still remain to this day, but there hasn’t been a true Guardian in a millenia. What’s left are their closest relatives, the werewolves, and their half human descendants: us. Sorcerers.”

“So we can control matter?”

“To a degree. Alchemy was how the humans tried to achieve what we could do with ease. However more than potions, which are especially advanced sciences no human is capable of, we can cast spells and curses. Which is what this is for,” Boa expanded, pulling out a long wooden stick from within her jacket. Haera soon realized it was a wand, and her eyes widened.

“We use wands? Like in the movies?” To this Boa tried to restrain herself from laughing too hard. It was sort of refreshing, the way Haera was so unbeknownst to it all.

“No, no. In my case yes. This is my talisman, which is what grounds our power and allows us to cast spells. Without them we can do very little. It’s like a key that unlocks your power. They range from object to object, so theoretically you could have almost anything from a necklace to an old shoe.” Haera laughed this time, and while they shared a comfortable gaze, the car came to a stop. “Oh! Looks like we are here already.”

Thumping accelerated in Haera’s chest, as she pulled on the handle of the door to open it. It was nighttime, probably close to midnight, but the warm light from within the large building illuminated enough for Haera to make out the gorgeous piece of architecture. It was European looking, but there was also traditional looking Korean sheds and a couple smaller buildings that surrounded it. Boa didn’t even need to tell her...this was the Institute. Normal people walked by, but none seemed to even be aware of the artwork Haera was witnessing.

“It’s beautiful Boa…” Haera whispered, falling agar. The older man who had driven them came up beside her to place down her bags, which took Haera out of her trance.

“Wait till you see inside.” The smirk Boa had was too intriguing for Haera to ignore, so when the older women started walking ahead of her to the front doors, the teen frantically put her backpack on and grabbed her suitcase.

“Wait for me!”

 

When the mahogany gold framed doors opened, the sight before her shocked Haera. It was almost like a five star hotel lobby, but bigger, much bigger. Almost too big it seemed, to fit within the building. There was a bustle of kids in uniform and adults in robs, everyone trafficking through the lobby and down the plethora of hallways. A few groups stopped to whisper, even adults, when Boa waked by with Haera. Boa was probably a very important person there.

The carpet was a warm red colour, the walls marble. She notices as the lobby dissipated into halls, the flooring would change to hardwood and in some cases stone, while it did so. Boa guided Haera toward the front desk, which behind it had a fountain and staircase leading to the next floor. “Hello Kangta! It’s good to see you at work again. I told you the chrysanthemum tonic would clear up your cold.” Boa greeted the man standing there brightly, leaning her elbow on the desk.

“Right you were...oh! Is this our new resident?” He pushed his glasses up, spotting Haera standing closely behind Boa.

“Yes she is! Come here sweetheart, let him take a look at you.” She moved to put her arm over Haera’s shoulders, situating her closer to the front desk. The man leaned over, bending across the counter so his face was right before her own.

“Fascinating, truly.” He swiftly pulled back, and ducked down behind his desk. Fumbling of papers and boxes was audible, though Boa seemed to find his actions quiet normal.

“CURFEW IN TEN MINUTES! RETURN TO YOUR HOME SECTORS!” Declaimed a firm but friendly female voice over some sort of speaker system. The moment the announcement ended, there was a sudden advance in the crowds pace, as the lobby began to clear. Haera looked up to Boa, clearly confused.

“Everyone is assigned a home sector, which is like a neighbourhood you could say, within the building. You either live in dorms or with you families. It’s how everyone is kept accounted for.” Haera slowly bobbed her head, the idea settling in her mind. She had never lived anywhere like this before, so it was taking a bit of time to get used to.

“There they are!” Kangta cheered, standing up, a box in hand. “This has your official documents, and your first basic necessities when joining the Institute. Your talismen will be chosen later on, probably around when your familiar is produced.” He extended the box toward Haera, followed by a pen. Clearly she was meant to sign some stuff.

Placing the bags down onto the ground, Haera took the box and retrieved the package of paper that lay on top. There was a place for a polaroid photo to be added, and a section to fill in basic information. She used the ink pen, to record her name and birthdate. Underneath was a section for hobbies and allergies, but when she looked bellow there were questions she realized she had no idea the answers to. Finances, account information, and what was she supposed to put for family? Her Aunt and Uncle didn’t seem to fit into this new picture of her life, but they were still her family. When Haera had finished writing down celiac on the black line, Boa reached over to take the package from her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of these parts. Just go through the rest of your stuff.” She took the pen, and gestured to the box again. Inside was still a black leather notebook, what appeared to be a handbook, and a small satchel. Haera pulled them out, and by then Boa had finished filling out her information. The package was placed back in the box, and handed back to Kangta, who in turn placed them somewhere behind the desk.

He grabbed a top hat and cane that rested on the side of the desk, and pulled himself onto the counter, and swiftly over the edge. He landed right before Haera, so she stumbled back a bit to make room for him. “Thank you ladies, and please do step back.” Boa obeyed naturally, though it took Haera a second before she caught on. Putting the satchel around her body, and pulling the suitcase with her as she moved to stand beside Boa. Once she did, Kangta twirled his cane, bringing it down onto the desk. When it hit the surface, a vibration trickled out through the air. The desk began to shake, before suddenly descending into the floor. Carpet started to form where the desk once stood, until it appeared as if nothing had stood there to begin with.

“Wow.” Haera mumbled, eyebrows raised. Giving the two ladies a deep bow, Kangta continued to turn and strut down a hardwood floored hallway. “What was…”

“It’s how we keep the front desk and all the Institute’s public files accessible, but also make sure they are kept safe and can’t be gone through.” Boa explained, lightly grasping Haera’s elbow, guiding her toward a stone floored hall. “If we go down this way, take a left then go up a flight of stairs we’ll be in your home sector.”

Large paintings of both ancient Korean artists, and more Victorian style pieces, hung across the hallway walls. They depicted great battles, fantisful figures, and regal looking wolves. No work to this caliber, were in any museum she had ever been to. “What are all these paints about?”

“Our history. How we came to be, how we changed. As well as the most memorable battles we have faced...” Boa continued on, taking Haera’s suitcase, though she stopped listening to her when they passed a specific portrait by the end of the hall. It was large, and showed modern builds. A dark mist circled them, as beautiful waves of blue, orange, and green surrounded the darkness. What she was most certain were a pair of soulless eyes, protruding from the darkness, seemed to look back at her like it knew her; like it could sense how it caused chills to run down her spine. “And so after that I remembered to never eat another dish created by a drunk pixie, it’s just not worth the indigestion.” Haera wasn’t too sure how they got to that topic, but she decided to just grin and nod. They were standing at the end of the hall by now, while it tapered off into two different directions.

“Where does that go?” Haera pointed down the right side, where the lights were much dimmer.

“That’s where the Instigator’s office and personal quarters are. But to get to where you’ll be living, we need to go left.” Boa diverted her attention to the other direction, that lead to a staircase. When they had gotten to the top, a large round common area was present. It had sofas, a fire places, even bookshelves, a tv, and a pool table. Her Aunt and Uncle were well off, but if a house were to look like this, it would very much be out of their price range.

Peaking out from behind a loveseat, was a brightly smiling girl in purple shorts and a white t-shirt. A series of books were clutched in her arms, and the register in her eyes told Haera she knew who she was. “Oh my goodness! You really brought her Boa? I can’t believe I actually get to meet you, let alone be your roommate!” The girl explained, rushing over. She put the books down on a coffee table and proceeded to hug Haera. It was much more tight of a hug then you would expect from a stranger, and almost more affectionate then Daehwi.

“Uhm, I’m sorry...do I know you?” Haera questioned awkwardly when the girl pulled back.

“Not at all! I’m Yerim, but everyone here calls me Choerry. You definitely wouldn’t no me, I’m a nobody, but of course everyone knows you!” She giggled after, quite enthusiastically. No one was ever this hyper around Haera, but what she was more interested in, was why everyone would apparently know her.

“What do you mean everyone knows me?”

“Well because your parents killed the Dark One of course.” Choerry answered gleefully. However before Haera could ask anything else, Boa was already interjecting.

“That’s a discussion for another day. Choerry, how about you just help bring Haera’s things up to your dorm room and settle in for the night. You may not have lessons tomorrow but it will still be a busy day, showing Haera around the Institute and all.” Boa handed over Haera’s suitcase to the bright girl, and she happily took it.

“Come on, we are upstairs to the right. The Instigator said we could bunk together, so I hope you don’t mind bottom…” Choerry took Haera’s wrist with her free hand, and pulled her along as she spoke. There was a smaller staircase leading to an apparent upper floor, and Haera had but a moment to look back at Boa before her vision was covered by the stone wall.

On the upper level Haera noticed a balcony overlooking the common area, and a hallway leading toward multiple doors, it seemed almost endless, and to the right was a singular door that read Dormitories. Choerry turned the doorknob, and placed a finger over her lips to let Haera know to be silent. It was a small hall, that broke out into a fork. One side indicated boys, the other girls. It was clear which way they would go from there, but after carrying all her stuff Haera just wanted to know when all these doors and hallways would end.

In the girls dorm were multiple bunk beds and a few vanity tables to go along with them. Choerry directed Haera to a specific bunk that was illuminated by a candle lit on the side table. A larger trunk sat on either end of the bunk bed, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter