Dreams Come True

A Strange Kind of Malice

CONCLUSION

 

“What the hell?” Haseul’s voice was high and indignant, as if she was more annoyed than horrified by the corpse on their wall. Yeojin knew that wasn’t the case. She knew Haseul as well as anybody could. Haseul was doing that thing again, the one where she put on her strong face and pretended that everything was fine.

 

Jungeun had keeled over onto the floor, a sobbing mess. Yeojin wanted to go over to her, to rub her back and tell her that everything would be just fine. But she didn’t like lying, and she was half-afraid that whoever had done this was still inside the room. Yeojin backed up and hit the light-switch to the room, powering on all the lights.

 

The rest of the Loona girls entered half a second later. There were gasps, screams, and Yeojin was pretty sure she heard someone retching. But she didn’t take her eyes off of the owl’s corpse. She didn’t dare. That bird had been her friend. It had been her friend’s friend. And now it was dead. Because...what, because someone didn’t like the way they took care of each other? Was that it? Yeojin couldn’t understand it...no, she didn’t want to understand the kind of thinking that led someone to murder a poor defenseless animal.

 

Jungeun was still crying. Yeojin saw Jinsoul come over to her and take her into her arms. Well, that was good. Something decent was happening here.

 

Sooyoung stood next to Haseul and looked around, bewildered. “What happened in here?” Jungeun shook her head and wiped her nose, her voice thick with grief. “Somebody killed my friend, that’s what happened.” She sobbed and leaned into Jinsoul’s shoulder. “Artemis..Arty...oh god….”

 

Yeojin swallowed and looked away. It was hard to see her in pain. Choerry still had her hands over . Her eyes were as wide as dinnerplates. “Who could have done this? And why?” Hyunjin laughed bitterly. “Isn’t it obvious? It’s one of them. The people who hate us just for existing. They killed Jungeun’s bird and broke in here afterwards. They wanted to show off their hard work.” These last words she spoke with a sort of mocking reverence.

 

“How did they find this place? I’m pretty sure no one knows about this place but us…”Heejin’s words, and they were true enough. Jiwoo tried to reason with the concept. “Maybe somebody’s been tailing us. This is a public hallway...even if it is on an abandoned floor nobody cares to visit...there are a lot of those in this castle, come to think of it…”

 

Sooyoung shook her head. “No. The only people that know about this room are us. I put up enchantments specifically so we couldn’t be followed here. The only way someone outside of us can know the location of our hideout is if we tell them. I haven’t told anybody. Have you?”


Jiwoo shook her head furiously. “No, ma’am.” The downcast, sad puppy expression on her face might have been funny if the situation hadn’t been so serious. The other Loona girls responded similarly. Sooyoung her chin thoughtfully. She went right up to Artemis’ corpse and examined it carefully. It seemed like she had seen something. She crouched down in front of the puddle of blood that had pooled beneath the owl’s body. “There’s a blood trail down here…” She followed all the way over to the patch of floorboards that Yeojin knew held the secret hiding place of The Book of Loona.

 

She tapped her wand to the floorboards and the secret hiding place made itself obvious. After hefting the square chunk of wood out of the floor, she pulled the book out and gasped. When she turned around, Yeojin could see exactly why.

 

The Book of Loona’s normally pristine white sheets were stained red. Whoever had done this had clearly taken the time to flip through the book.

 

Sooyoung walked around the table and put the book on the table at the center of the room so everybody could see its contents. There were words on the page, written in the same bloody handwriting as on the wall.

 

“You think that you’re brave, that you’ve set a good example, that you’re safe with each other. But it isn’t the truth. You’re not brave, you’re foolish. You’ve set a dangerous precedent by standing up for the mongrel. So, I’m going to stop you. This bird is only the first. Next time, it will be someone you love. And the next time. I’ll keep going until you’re all dead or you decide to renounce your words at the press conference.

 

Until next time,

-K”

 

Chaewon read the words aloud in a trembling voice.

 

Hyunjin buried her face in her hands. “Holy .”

 

Choerry shook her head. “What do we do now?”

 

Sooyoung looked up. Her face was blank of any obvious emotion, but she couldn’t be feeling great. She looked each of them in the eyes in turn, as if she was searching for something. Finally, she sighed and pinched her nose between the tips of her thumb and forefinger.

 

“You know what this means, right? We’ve got a traitor here.”

 

The moment she finished speaking, the room erupted into chaos.

 

ARGUMENT

 

Haseul spoke first. “Hold on a second. Let’s give ourselves some time to think before we…”

 

“You!” Jungeun pointed a finger at Choerry, pure fury written on her face. Choerry took a few steps back, hands in the air. “What did I do?” She looked bewildered. “I already told you I didn’t put that noise box there! I don’t know who did. Maybe we should be looking at Jiwoo or Sooyoung. I didn’t see them anywhere!” Yeojin could tell Choerry regretted the words as soon as they were out of .

 

Jiwoo immediately went on the defensive. “Hey, me and Sooyoungie were talking about serious, private things. I didn’t even know Jungeun’s bird was missing! And how could Sooyoung be the one who did it if she just pointed out that we have a traitor.”

Jinsoul shrugged. Jungeun had retreated back into her shoulder, her body racked with a fresh wave of sobbing. “Maybe she wanted to make sure we didn’t suspect her.”

 

Haseul once again tried to interject. “I said, hold on and think this through….”

 

Hyunjin ignored her. “That makes sense, yeah. Sooyoung, what were you doing?”

 

Sooyoung closed the open book and shook her head. “That’s private. The two of us can’t have a conversation away from everybody else every once in a while? That hardly seems fair.”

 

Hyunjin shook her head. “That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying we should examine every possibility.”

 

Chaewon stepped between the two of them. “This seems senseless. I didn’t keep track of you, Hyunjin. You could have slipped out and put the bird in here.”

 

Hyunjin held her palms up into the air. “When would I have had time to do that? Now, that, that is senseless. You can be so dumb sometimes, Chaewon.”

 

Jungeun climbed to her feet amidst the squabbling that had broken out among the Loona girls. Only Haseul and Yeojin were apart, truly able to observe the conflict without resorting to shouting. Haseul was trying to get everyone to calm down, but their voices were so loud they couldn’t hear her.

 

“I’m dumb? Well, I’m not the one who thinks Sooyoung is responsible for this crap…”

 

Hyunjin held up her hands. “I didn’t say she was responsible! Why are you coming after me like this?”

 

On the other side of the room, Jungeun had risen to her feet. She stomped towards Choerry, hands clenched into fists. Something very bad was going to happen there if someone didn’t do something.

 

Yeojin elected herself.

 

“JUNGEUN!” She screamed, and the whole room quieted. Jungeun froze in place, shoulders hunched over a tear-streaked face. Choerry, who was in the middle of an argument with Heejin, stopped to look at her. She paled when she realized what had almost happened. “Jungeun…”

 

Jungeun’s eyes were red. Her hands were shaking and she looked unsteady on her feet. She clearly wasn’t ready to be standing. Not yet. Yeojin made her way to her friend’s side and helped her to sit down on the little couch that faced towards the door, away from Artemis’ corpse. The rest of the girls in the room dropped their arguments and sat on the floor around the couch. “I’m sorry, Jungeun. I know she was your friend.”

 

Jungeun sniffled. “She was more than a friend. She was a partner. I loved her more than almost anything. We’ve...we had been together since before I started school. And now she’s gone...she’s REALLY GONE!” Her voice escalated in pitch until she broke into sudden, fresh tears. Yeojin gently massaged her back. She wasn’t sure if she was helping, but it was the only thing she could think to do.

 

The girls sat like that for a long time, until Jungeun finally stopped, too emotionally drained to continue. And then Heejin spoke.

 

“So, what happens next?”

 

RESOLUTION

 

“I don’t know,” came Haseul’s honest reply.

 

Hyunjin frowned. “Should we still go to Yeojin’s house for winter break? Should we even leave the castle? It seems like this person’s after us and possibly our families….the last thing we want is to put Yeojin’s parents in the line of fire.”

 

Choerry raised a hand. “Who says there is a line of fire? Maybe this was just a one time thing. Who knows if whoever did this can even follow us out there?”

 

“They definitely can if what Sooyoung said is true. If this murderer is one of us...then we’re not safe in each other’s presence. I can’t….I can’t trust anyone right now. I can’t even look at you.” Jinsoul tried to come in for a hug. Jungeun glared at her. The older girl looked sincerely hurt.

 

Haseul sighed and held her head in her hands. “So, we can’t trust anyone. That’s what you meant, right, Sooyoung?”

 

Sooyoung nodded. She didn’t look too happy about being right.

 

“If we can’t trust anyone, we can’t go out for the holidays. We should stay right here where it will be safest. There are adults here. We can trust them to protect us.”

 

Jungeun looked at Haseul doubtfully.

 

“At the very least, it’s safer here than at Yeojin’s house. They don’t have any sort of protection against magical attack.”


Choerry tried to interject. “But--”

Haseul waved her off. “Yes, yes, I know. How do we know they can follow us? If it is one of us...I hate the possibility, but we can’t dismiss it off-hand. They can get us at home just as surely as they can here. I want us to stay together, and I hate sowing distrust, but what else can we do? We need to investigate this killing before making any rash moves…”

 

Choerry shook her head insistently. “No, that’s what whoever did this wants. They want us to suspect one another, to cancel our plans, to live in fear. We shouldn’t let them have this much control over us! We can come up with something else….”

 

Jinsoul looked at Choerry in amazement. “You are such a Gryffindor sometimes, Choerry.”

 

Choerry flashed a toothy grin at Jinsoul. “And you’re hardly ever a Ravenclaw, Jindori.”

 

Jinsoul let a small smile play on her lips. “Touche.”

 

Choerry turned back to Haseul. She leaned in close, eye to eye with the older girl. She really meant what she was saying.

 

“We should get a mediator. Find someone who isn’t part of the group and invite them along with us to Yeojin’s house. They can keep an eye on everything and make sure nothing goes awry. They’d have an objective eye or...whatever!”

 

Hyunjin gave Choerry a skeptical look. “And who would you suggest for this all important task, oh wise one?”

 

Choerry her chin thoughtfully. “I was thinking...maybe Olivia?”

 

That raised a lot of eyebrows, including Yeojin’s. Heejin got the indignant response in first. “Olivia? But we barely know her...hell, we don’t even know anything about her!”

 

Choerry nodded eagerly. “Yes, and that’s exactly the point! We don’t know her and she doesn’t know us. She’ll be able to assess our behavior without bias. She’ll be able to point out any suspicious stuff that goes down.”

 

Sooyoung bit her lip. “That sounds….alright. Not a genius plan, but it doesn’t have to be. She’s as good a candidate as anyone. So, who do we get to talk to her?”

 

Everyone looked at Yeojin. Yeojin startled from behind Jungeun’s back and looked around nervously. “M-me? But I don’t…”

 

Choerry crossed her arms and smiled mischievously. “It is your house, after all. You should extend the invitations.”

 

Haseul shrugged. “If it keeps us together.”

 

OPENING DOORS

 

The girls all broke off and went to their separate dorms. They were all a little more suspicious of one another now. And they were all upset.  There was nothing to be done about it at the moment. They’d all just have to cope with it until the situation was resolved.

 

Yeojin got the best night of sleep she’d had in a long while. That struck an ominous chord with her. Maybe she shouldn’t do this, talk to Olivia. Maybe they should all call off their little trip. Jungeun’s face as she mourned her bird...Yeojin didn’t think she’d ever forget it. All of the last night had been a nightmare.

 

Against her better judgement, Yeojin met Olivia outside her last class, which was…Muggle Studies? There was a class for that? It seemed like a pretty useless subject to Yeojin, but she’d been born and raised in that world. She guessed there were some ‘pure’ wizards who had never seen a muggle before.

 

A crowd burst out of the doors at the strike of the hour. It looked like the kids were actually running away from the class. God, the muggleborns must have been bored out of their minds. Yeojin couldn’t even imagine. Olivia emerged near the end, her attention on the two girls she was in the middle of a conversation with.

 

Yeojin waved at the third-year, and the girl instantly dropped back, leaving her two friends to continue on without her. Olivia smiled at Yeojin and made her way over to the girl, hands clasped at her waist. She looked like a proper lady. It reminded her of her first impression of Chaewon.

 

When Olivia spoke, it was in hushed tones, as if she knew of the importance of the conversation. “What’s up? You in trouble? Need my help to bury a body?” Yeojin raised her eyebrows and took a second glance at the older girl’s face. She looked completely serious. Despite herself, Yeojin giggled. “What? What are you talking about?”

 

Olivia shrugged. “Sometimes I don’t even know. You’re Yeojin, right? The youngest Loona girl.” Yeojin nodded. “Yeah, that’s me. But I’m not just the youngest! I contribute in other ways.”

 

Oliva smiled. “Did your friends tell you that? They might just be trying to be nice. Old people always lie to make us feel better.” Yeojin nodded. “Yeah, they do. It . I’m old enough to handle the truth. It won’t break me.”

 

Olivia’s smile broke into a shiny grin. “Exactly! Hey, I think the two of us are going to get along just fine!” She hit Yeojin’s shoulder with the back of her hand. “So, what are you here for? I know it’s not for casual banter and good company.”

Yeojin rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. “Well, actually...we’ve run into a bit of trouble. Loona, that is. Something happened and we don’t trust each other anymore… we can’t trust each other. We need someone to...moderate, I guess? Someone to make sure none of us step out of line. We nominated you and they nominated me to go talk to you. So, yeah.” The words came out as an awkward babble at lightspeed, but Olivia seemed to be on top of it.

 

“Yeah, I’ll be a mediator. Hah, that’s funny. Mediator. And dad said I’d never amount to anything!” She laughed, a strained, uncomfortable laugh. Yeojin was so delighted to hear her answer in the positive that she barely noticed the pain hidden in the laughter.

 

Yeojin tilted her chin down. “So, you’ll meet us here.” Yeojin handed Olivia a scrap of paper with her home address on it. Olivia grinned. “Of course! I’d be happy to!”

 

And that was the end of their conversation. It went pretty well by Yeojin’s estimation. Well, it wasn’t the total disaster that she had been fearing. She should be glad. She was glad.

 

Right up until she bumped into Professor Quinlan.

 

“Oh, hey there! I actually wanted to see you before you left for the holidays!” The professor put  a familiar hand on Yeojin’s shoulder. Was he going to tell her to stay away from her friends again? Because that wasn’t happening. “Hi Professor Quinlan! I was just…” Quinlan held up a hand, silencing her immediately. “You were hanging out with your friends, yes. I don’t have a problem with them, despite what you may think. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve extended the deadline for the project till after winter break. I wanted to give you guys a chance to enjoy your vacation without worrying about time.” Yeojin smiled awkwardly. Quinlan and her stared at each other for a few moments until Quinlan turned away, twisting his hand in the air above his head. “Well, I should be going now. I’ve got to get ready for my own set of holiday activities. Family can be so boring sometimes.”

 

With that, the man walked off into the depths of the castle, leaving Yeojin to wonder why this conversation had happened at all.

 

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS (AGAIN)

 

To say it was a little awkward with Olivia aboard the train would be a massive understatement.

 

Typically, the girls would split themselves between two cabins in order to accommodate the massive size of their group. One cabin would hold six, the other five. But then Vivi had graduated and left them with ten members. But Olivia had taken Vivi’s seat. They were eleven once more. And some people weren’t very happy about it.

 

“I still don’t understand why she’s here.” Hyunjin glared daggers at Olivia from the seat next to her, as if the girl wasn’t sitting just to her right. Yeojin raised her eyebrows helplessly. She wished she’d gotten into the other cabin. It would be so much less awkward. Olivia forced a smile onto her face and looked over at Haseul. “So, you’re the leader, right?” Haseul shook her head. “We don’t have a leader. But I am the responsible one, yes.” She smiled warmly. A small percentage of that warmth found its way onto Olivia’s face.

 

“Momseul!” Olivia yelped. Yeojin smiled. She was so different in front of a crowd. So much more awkward and less… cool girl. It was interesting. Haseul raised her eyebrows. “Um…” Choerry poked Haseul in the arm. “Ooh, that’s such a good nickname! You’re always acting like you’re our mom! Momseul, momseul, momseul!” She pointed at Yeojin and encouraged her to chant along. Yeojin grinned and complied eagerly. “Momseul, momseul, momseul!” Haseul blushed and turned her head towards the window, which was currently showing off the snow-white hills of the countryside. It was beautiful in its own way, but Yeojin much preferred the grass that normally occupied its place.

 

Hyunjin tried to scoot away from Olivia, trapped on the other side of the aisle with her as she was. It didn’t work, naturally. Olivia bit her lip. “I’m sorry for making things awkward. It’s not my intention. I just...like you guys so much. You were outcasts and rebels and you became the most popular girls in the school. It’s really impressive…” Olivia blushed. Hyunjin grimaced.

 

Olivia tapped her index fingers against each other, contemplatively. “You’re more like a family than friends. It’s really admirable. Sometimes I wish I could have something like that.” Yeojin gave her a small smile. “Hey, you can always hang out with us! Right, Haseul?” Haseul nodded agreeably. Choerry, too. The only one who seemed unenthused by the idea was Hyunjin. “When does this train ride end?”


Yeojin shook her head. “I’m sorry about her. We’re all a little freaked out right now. It’s tense. We don’t look a whole lot like a family right now.” Olivia bit her lip. “No, I think you do look like a family right now. I mean, a whole lot of family is tension. Being upset with each other… and ultimately being able to forgive each other.” Olivia looked at Hyunjin’s sour face and then at Haseul’s welcoming one. She seemed to come to a decision. “So, if it’s not too much to ask, what exactly happened to cause you all so much grief?”

 

Yeojin glanced at the cabin across the way, where the other girls were comforting a sobbing Jungeun. Heejin caught her glance and shot her a worried look. Yeojin shook her head and looked back at Olivia. “Jungeun’s owl died. Well, the truth is, she was murdered. Somebody pinned her body up where we could all see it. Jungeun and Sooyoung think it was one of us. But it couldn’t be, right?” She looked at Haseul, who refused to meet her gaze. “It couldn’t be! Like Olivia just said, we’re a family! We wouldn’t...we couldn’t hurt each other like that.” Olivia stared at her seriously. “Family’s the place where some people can do the most harm. You should be cautious about who you trust here.”

 

Yeojin furrowed her eyebrows. “Aren’t you the one who’s supposed to be helping us out? Why are you saying things like that?”

Olivia shrugged. “I am trying to help. None of us can get anywhere unless we acknowledge the truth.” Hyunjin glared daggers at the younger girl. Olivia withered and retreated to the opposite corner of the cabin.

 

Yeojin felt bitter tears stinging at the corners of her eyes. She wanted to say something, anything to make this whole messed-up situation better, but she couldn’t find the air or the words. Instead, the five of them sat in silence the rest of the way home.

 

WHERE THE HEART IS

 

It didn’t get any better on the bus ride to Yeojin’s quaint little home in Blackpool. None of them could find the words to speak to each other, as much as they might want to. The bus dropped them off a few streets away from Yeojin’s home. She led the way, speaking only to issue instructions to the confused group of girls.


Soon, they were on Yeojin’s front doorstep. Haseul tried to clear the air, to start a conversation. “Wow, Yeojin. Your house is really nice. It reminds me of Hyunjin’s house. But smaller. Uhh...so, I guess it actually doesn’t remind me of her house at all. Sorry. Heh heh…” Hyunjin glared at Haseul, who held her hands up in surrender. Yeojin ignored both of them and knocked on the door. She was eager to see her parents in something other than her awful recurring nightmare.

 

Yeojin’s dad answered the door a few moments later, a big smile on his face. “Sweetie! You’re back! It’s so good to see you, dear!” He pulled her up into a big hug. Yeojin blushed, embarrassed by her friends being present to witness such a scene. “Daddy!” Her dad smiled mischievously and set her back onto her feet. “And who are your friends here? I’ve heard so much about you girls, but I haven’t had the pleasure!” He held his hand out. Haseul shook it, but no one else was eager to. “You’re Haseul, right? My daughter mentioned how similar the two of you looked, but wow! You’d be twins if you weren’t so much older.” Choerry cackled, hands over her stomach. Haseul threw a glare her way and the laughter ceased instantly.

 

“Where are my manners? Come on in, girls!” He held the door open and waved them all inside. They clambered inside in short order. The living room, which was not spacious at the best of times, was absolutely cramped with so many people inside. Twelve people, not counting the ones sitting down. It would be a mistake not to, however.

 

Yeojin’s mom was sitting on the couch in front of their TV. What surprised Yeojin, however, was the girl sitting next to her.

 

“Vivi?! You’re here already?”

 

Vivi nodded and stood up, her arms held out for a hug. Yeojin pushed past the rest of the girls and gave the older girl a big hug. “How have you been, Vivi?”

 

“Not great! But I’m better now.” She smiled a genuine and strangely morose smile. Yeojin hugged her tighter. She’d missed Vivi, a lot. More than she would admit in front of a packed theater.

 

“Hey guys, Vivi’s here!” The noise level in the room quickly rose as they all rushed to acknowledge Vivi. They might not be talking to each other right now, but they were always up to hang out with Vivi.

 

Yeojin’s mom raised her eyebrows. “No greeting for me? Huh. Children these days!” Yeojin shook her head and sat on her mom’s lap. “Missed you, mommy.” She didn’t care if the other girls saw. Her mom was her mom and she wasn’t going to let peer pressure stop her from showing her affection!

 

Her mom ran a hand through Yeojin’s hair. “You’ve been taking care of it, just like I taught you. Good girl! I made you girls breakfast but its nearly lunchtime...ah, well.” Yeojin shook her head fervently. “No, it’s okay. We’ll eat it. Right, guys?” Yeojin gave her friends her best pair of puppy dog eyes. Hyunjin rolled her eyes, but Jinsoul melted. “Awww….”

 

There wasn’t enough room at the table for all of them, so they all scattered around the living room, the kitchen and the dining room to eat. Yeojin found herself next to Vivi, catching up with what the two of them had gone through in the past five or so months. “So, I’ve been working on a song. It’s about us..well, it’s about friendship, as cheesy as that sounds. I’m nearly done with the lyrics, so next I’ve just got to work on a tune...and learning how to play an instrument. Say, do you happen to play the guitar?” Vivi giggled. “I’d really like to hear that song sometime, Yeojin. Keep working on it. You could be the next star!” Yeojin blushed. She knew Vivi was just pulling her leg, but it still felt good to have someone look forward to what you were spending so much time on.

 

She bit her lip. Maybe she could just give Vivi an early sample of the song, see what she really thought. The idea made her a little nervous, though. She bit her lip and examined the girl’s pastel pink hair carefully. No one ever got anywhere by being timid. “Say, Vivi, do you want a prev--”

 

Yeojin was cut off mid-sentence by screaming from the hallway to the guest rooms. “Jinsoul, I don’t want your comfort! I want to be alone, but none of you will even give me a second to process… why are you always so ing clingy?” Yeojin’s jaw dropped. She’d never heard Jungeun speak to Jinsoul that way. Her heart ached, a little. Jinsoul’s response was swift. “I’m trying to make you feel better, Jungeun. I’m trying to be there for you, the way you were for me when….please,” her voice sounded almost desperate here, “let me be here for you. I lov--

 

Jungeun shook her head. “Not everything needs you meddling in it. Back off. Let me have my space. I can’t even trust you because of this stupid thing. I can’t trust anyone. So….just be quiet.” Jungeun had an expression on her face that brooked no argument. Jinsoul looked….shattered. Yeojin felt anger snarl up in her chest. Not just at Jungeun, but at whoever had thrown them into this horrid situation.

 

Yeojin’s dad stepped in quickly. “Alright girls, I know we’re a little tense right now, but there’s no need to shout. Jungeun, maybe you need to…” The blonde girl her heel and stepped back into the guest bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her. Yeojin’s dad glanced at Yeojin. She shrugged.

 

Besides that interruption, the girls all had a pretty good time. Vivi’s presence had served as a mitigating agent to the tension and fear that had overtaken them recently. Vivi introduced herself to Olivia with a smile. The two seemed to get along well. Yeojin was glad. Good relationships were important.

 

Night fell quickly, and the girls all retreated to their rooms. There were two guest bedrooms and Yeojin’s room available. The one guest bedroom had been locked by Jungeun ever since the argument, and no amount of knocking would convince her to step out. So, it was eleven girls divided between two bedrooms. Yeojin, Vivi, Olivia, Haseul and Heejin went in one room. Jiwoo, Chaewon, Sooyoung, Jinsoul, Choerry and Hyunjin went in the other. They didn’t speak much as they got ready for bed. The uncomfortable silence had returned, settling in and around them like a thick cloak.

 

Vivi, Olivia and Heejin fell asleep quickly. They’d all taken ground floor sleeping bag arrangements. Yeojin had elected to sleep in her bed with Haseul. She always felt safer with her around. Now the two of them were the only ones up, besides the crickets.

 

“Haseul.” The older girl turned around and looked at Yeojin. “Yes?”

 

“I love you. You know that, right? You’re like my older sister.” Haseul looked up and then smiled. “I know, Yeojin. What’s this about?” Yeojin fidgeted in the blankets. “It’s...something about tonight. I’m so scared….I don’t know why.”


Haseul cupped the side of Yeojin’s face. “Is this about the nightmares?” Yeojin nodded glumly. “It’s okay to be afraid, Yeojin. Especially when it’s something as volatile and unpredictable as all of this. But we’re here. We’re together. And I promise you that as long as you’re with me, you’re safe. Don’t let the fear conquer you. You’re stronger than it. Always.” Haseul gave Yeojin a firm nod. Yeojin closed her eyes and snuggled into the older girls arms, where she fell into dreamland.

 

Yeojin was an infamously light sleeper. She’d been in the middle of a not so pleasant dream about being chased by a frog in a suit when she was startled awake by the sound of rustling in the next room. Her parent’s bedroom. She disentangled herself from Haseul’s arms and hopped off the bed, as quiet as a mouse. Or a frog, if that frog wanted to be stealthy.

 

Several delicate, quiet steps took her to the bedroom door and out into the hallway. She knocked on her parents door, but there was no answer.

 

“Mommy? Daddy?” Still no answer.

 

She pushed the door and it creaked open. That was funny. Usually her parents kept their bedroom door locked, especially when there were guests in. Yeojin squinted at the lock. It appeared to be broken.

 

Suddenly, her heart started racing. Cold sweat broke out on her skin.

 

What would she find in that bedroom?

 

Her legs felt like stiff lead as she shuffled into the bedroom. The air inside was still, undisturbed. She could just make out the shapes of her parents underneath the cover. They were unnaturally still. No. Please no.

 

Yeojin’s eyes felt like hot coals in her head. It burned to keep them open, but she had to see. She tugged on the handle of the lamp on her parents’ dresser. The light clicked on and Yeojin had to put a hand over to suppress a scream.

 

Her parents were as still as statues, their open eyes staring at the ceiling of their shared bedroom like glass orbs. Their lips were tinged with purple. They looked pallid and unhealthy. And they were dead. This Yeojin knew for certain. Her parents were dead.

 

Written on the wall above their bed were those same three words.

 

WHO’S NEXT GIRL?