The Story of Us

Broken Souls

 

“Do you have a dream, James?” I asked him. We were stuck in one of the classrooms in our school. We didn’t know that the door knob is broken so I think we’ll have to wait until tomorrow for someone to open the door for us. Which means that we are stuck with each other for tonight.

 

He chuckled softly, “I have a dream. But you’ll never be able to understand it.” My forehead creased, what does he mean?

 

“What makes you think that? Try me.” He stared at me and it made me feel uncomfortable. Why does he look so good?! Seconds had passed and he continued to stare at me, he’s not even talking. What is he thinking? “Fine. If you don’t want to tell me, then don’t.” He smiled slightly and looked away.

 

“My dream?” He sighed heavily, “I… I want to sleep and never wake up again.” He stared at me seriously and I stared back, “My dream is death. I want to die, Lois.”

 

Things suddenly changed and I saw myself running. I kept on running… and running… and running… but I can’t see him anymore. Where is he? Where did he go? What the hell is happening?

 

Then he suddenly appeared in front of me. He was standing in a rooftop then he smiled at me brightly. As if he’s so happy about what’s happening, “Goodbye, Lois.”

 

And he disappeared…

 

 

I can’t open my eyes…

 

I kept on saying his name…

 

I can’t remember his face…

 

Tears are falling…

 

 

“LOIS! LOIS! OH MY GOD, WAKE UP LOIS!” I woke up, gasping for air. I can’t breathe. I felt my mom hugging me, she was crying too. “Are you alright, dear?”

 

My tears continued to fall, it won’t stop. My heart hurts so bad, “Who is he, mom? Who is James? Why can’t I remember his face? Why does he keep on appearing on my dreams? Can’t you please tell me? I don’t know what to do anymore!” Mom wiped my tears and hugged me tightly.

 

“Do you really want to remember him?” Mom whispered softly, I nodded, “Okay… wait here for a second.” After a few minutes, Mom finally came back. She was holding something, it’s like a book. “Open this, Lois and I’m sure that you’ll finally remember him. I’ll be outside okay? Call me if you need me.” She caressed my cheeks and kissed me on the forehead. After that, she left my room and closed the door. I looked at the book that was in front of me.

 

I held it and touched the words that was engraved in the front, Reminiscence, it was beautiful. I slowly opened the book, it was like a scrapbook. There were so many pictures, there were notes and captions. I started reading it and tears quickly fell. Memories flashed on my mind, I could finally remember the face that I forget… I finally remembered James… How… how could I forget him?

 

 

“I’m sorry that I have to do this, Lois. I promise that I’ll return. I’ll come back and get you. We’ll go back to London together. Please trust me.” Mom looked at me as if she’s pleading me to believe her. But why would I? She’s leaving me here in the Philippines with Grandma.

 

“And you expect me to believe you? You just want to leave me!” I turned my back at her and I started walking outside the airport. There I saw my Grandma waiting for me. She hugged me and I just smiled a little. My uncle hugged me too. We walked towards a van and we rode it. They kept on asking me questions that’s why I just put on my earphones and pretend that I’m sleeping. I don’t want to talk to anyone right now. I seriously hate my Mom. How could she do this to me?

 

Days had passed since I started staying with my Grandma. And I’m getting bored as hell. All I could see was trees, mountains and rivers. There were no malls around here, there’s one but it takes around 1 hour to go there. The internet was so slow to the point that you’ll have to wait for at least half a day before facebook loads. And I’m not even fond of watching tv! This place really . I want to leave already!

 

“Lois, apo?” My Grandma opened the door of my pathetic room. She gave me a paper bag that has clothes inside.

 

My forehead creased, “What is this for?”

 

“Oh, it’s the uniform of your new school. Your mother called to say that she wants you to study here for the meantime because she doesn’t want you to get left behind in school. You’ll start going to school tomorrow.” She left after that. I can’t believe my Mom, she really wants me to stay here for a longtime. Does she hate me that much?!

 

Tomorrow came, first day of school. I’m standing in front of my new classmates, the teacher is asking me to introduce myself. I rolled my eyes with the thought that I’ll have to stay with these probinsyanos.

 

“Noelyn Lois Valmeo. You don’t need to be nice to me. I’ll leave for London in a few months.” I said then I took a seat. They shouted like an idiot, irritating.

 

“Well since you are new here, Miss Valmeo, I’ll ask the class president to tour you around the school.” The teacher said then he looked for someone, “James? You know what to do.” The guy called James walked towards me. I’m at loss for words. He’s so handsome… He looks like he came out from an anime.

 

“Excuse me but can you stop staring at my James?!” I came back from my reverie when someone shouted at me.

 

“Camille, it’s alright. She’s just probably thinking of something.” The anime guy said. I rolled my eyes at the girl.

 

“For your information, I am not staring at him.” She glared at me, “And you don’t need to tour me, I can manage myself.” I told the anime guy. He just shrugged at me and left. What a jerk!

 

The day quickly passed and I found myself finally at home. I am staring at the sky. If there’s one thing that I love in this place, it’s probably the skies. I love how clear it is and how beautiful the stars are. I was distracted in admiring the skies when I saw a hint of smoke enveloping it. I quickly ran towards the place where the smoke must be starting. After a few minutes of running, I finally found it. A small house was burning! I ran towards it but I was shocked to see the anime guy standing in front of the house.

 

“What are you doing?! Stop the fire!” I shouted at him. He looked at me, he was expressionless. What is he thinking?!

 

“Why would I? I started the fire.”

 

“What do you mean? Why would you burn a house? Are you crazy?!”

 

“Revenge.” Revenge for what?

 

“What?! You have to stop the fire!” He stared at me coldly. I can’t read what’s going on in his mind. He’s so mysterious.

 

“You don’t have to care. I’ll put out the fire after the house is completely burned.”

 

“But why would you burn the house?” I continued asking him. My curiosity is killing me!

 

“Can you stop meddling and just leave?” He said sounding so pissed. Wow, this is the first time that I saw an emotion on his face.

 

“I won’t. And I’ll call the police if you won’t tell me.” I crossed my arms and raised my brow at him. Hah! I won’t stop until I find out why.

 

“Would you shut up if I tell you?” I smiled triumphantly and quickly nodded. He sat at a rock far from the fire. I sat beside him. “My father built this house for my mom, a secret place for the both of them. But my mom left because she’s tired of our life and my dad can’t move on so he drinks everyday. That’s why I burned this, maybe he’ll wake up from the he is in and realize that he has a son who he should take care of. That maybe, he’ll realize that he should forget his wife who left him.” He laughed bitterly and said, “I hate my mom.”

 

I looked at him and smiled sadly, “I know how you’re feeling.”

 

“What do you mean?” He looked at me too. Curiosity is evident on his face.

 

“My mom left me here with my grandmother. She went back in London.”

 

“I thought you’ll go to London soon?”

 

I laughed bitterly, “I don’t even know if she’ll really take me back. After all, she have a family in London, I’m just a nuisance in their family.” I looked up at the sky and bit my lip. I can’t cry, “You see, his new husband hates me. That’s why she forced me to go back here. She chose the family that she just met and left me. What kind of a mother right?” I looked at him and caught him staring at me for a long time. We kept quiet for I don’t know how long. We are just staring at each other, as if we have a certain connection that only the two of us have.

 

Since then, James and I are always together. We became friends. Girls who like him started bullying me like Camille. But I don’t care, what important to me is that I have James. He protects me and he doesn’t let anyone hurt me. My dull life in the province suddenly became bright and colorful. He brought color in my life. He makes me happy, we’re happy when we’re together. He’s my best friend, my confidant, my everything.

 

“Is James not here yet?” I asked one of my classmates.

 

“Oh, did James decided to dump you?” Camille said mockingly, “Well, you’re not even worth his time. Good for him.”

 

I glared at her, she doesn’t really want to stop pestering me huh? “Am I asking for your opinion?” I smiled and raised a brow at her, “At least, I was able to spend some time with him. But you?” I looked at her from head to toe and grinned, “He doesn’t even spend one second of his time with you. And what? You’ve been classmates for years already. While me? I just started staying here for a few months. So who’s the real loser here ?” She glared at me, she looks so pissed that she’ll strangle me in any moment now. She was about to reach for me when one of our classmates stopped her, the vice president of our class slash James’ close friend.

 

“Stop it you two if you don’t want to be sent at the Guidance office. You know how strict the school is when it comes to violence. And you,” He looks at me, “James was never late. He doesn’t even skip class. So something important must have happened for him to be absent today.”

 

After I heard that, I quickly get my bag and went out of the school. I ran until I reached James’ house. But I froze when I saw what was happening… his father… he is beating him up.

 

“I TOLD YOU THAT I WON’T SEND YOU TO COLLEGE! I WON’T WASTE A SINGLE PENNY FOR YOU. YOU ARE NOT EVEN MY SON!” I was just standing there, watching him as his father throw another punch. Shock was evident on his face, I can’t move, “AND DO YOU THINK I DON’T KNOW THAT YOU WE’RE THE ONE WHO BURNED THAT HOUSE? HOW DARE YOU, YOU SON OF A ! GET LOST! GET LOST! I DON’T WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE! JUST GO AND FOLLOW YOUR MOTHER!” He quickly get up and wiped the blood that was flowing on his mouth but stopped when our eyes met… He’s just standing there staring at me. His face void of any emotions. I don’t know what to do… “DO YOU WANT ME TO FORCE YOU OUT OF THIS HOUSE? COME HERE!” I covered my mouth with shock when I saw his father grab him at his shirt and drag him out of their house like a dog. My tears fell. I don’t know how I could help him.

 

I quickly hide when they were near their gate. His father pushed him outside and shut the gate close loudly. He’s bowing at the gate, kneeling. My tears kept on falling. I don’t know how I could help him…

 

“What are you doing here, Lois?” I shivered, he sounds so cold.

“I didn’t mean to see that, I’m sorry…”

 

“Please leave.”

 

“James… I wouldn’t leave you like that.” I said pleading him. I… I want to stay with him. I can’t leave him like this.

 

“I TOLD YOU TO LEAVE! CAN’T YOU UNDERSTAND ME?” He shouted but I don’t care, I walked towards him and hugged him. “LET ME GO! LEAVE!”

 

“I am here for you James. I would never leave you, I promise.” I said as I hugged him more tightly. I felt him hugging me back, he’s crying… We stayed like that for a while until he stopped crying. “Let’s go. I’ll treat your wounds. I’ll bring you to our house.” I said then we both stand up. I am about to walk when he stopped me.

 

“Let’s not go to your house… I don’t want your family to see me like this. But I know a place, let’s go.” He said as he hold my hand. We were walking with our hands intertwined with each other. I can’t understand what I am feeling. My heart is beating so fast… and I don’t know why. “We’re here.” He said which distracted my thoughts. My forehead creased when I saw that we are at the back part of our school.

 

“What are we doing here?” I asked, confused.

 

“You said that you’ll treat my wounds. The school has a clinic.” He said, sounding so chill. What is he thinking?!

 

“But what if we get caught? You are running for valedictorian, you can’t get in trouble.” I said sounding really worried.

 

“Don’t worry. The students probably left already, today’s early dismissal and the teachers are probably busy. Let’s go, just trust me.” He said then he hold my hand tightly this time. We entered at the back gate of the school and we managed to go in the clinic without getting caught. He quickly closed the door when we came in.

I carefully get the first aid kit from the drawer, I have to make sure that I won’t make a single noise. We can’t get caught.

 

“Sit at the bed and open the curtains. It’s so dark in here.” I told him as I get the betadine, alcohol, cotton, band-aid and ointment for his wounds.

 

I began treating his wounds. My heart hurts when I remember what happened earlier. How could his father do that to him?

 

“Ouch! Can you do it slowly? It hurts.” He said and I laughed. He’s like a kid! I put on ointments on his face carefully and blow at the part where he had a cut. I remember my Mom doing this to me when I was young. After I finish, I put on a band-aid on his cut and throw the things that I use. I put the things back on the first aid kit and returned it. I made sure that the clinic was the way it was before, before we leave.

 

But… we can’t open the freaking door!

 

“What the heck, James? What are we going to do?! Is that door broken?” I said panicking. We can’t stay here! If we wait here until tomorrow we would probably get caught! Argh.

 

“I think the door knob is broken. We have no choice but to wait here until someone open the door from the outside. And it will probably be tomorrow.”

 

Hours had passed since we’re stuck on the school clinic. Neither of us is talking. I want to talk but I can’t find the right words to say. So I just asked him the first question that popped in my mind.

 

“Do you have a dream, James?” I asked him. I’m really curious about this. Eversince we became friends, James always told me how much he wants to go to college. So his dreams probably shattered with what his father said earlier.

 

He chuckled softly, “I have a dream. But you’ll never be able to understand it.” My forehead creased, what does he mean? I am his friend, of course I’ll understand.

“What makes you think that? Try me.” He stared at me and it made me feel uncomfortable. Why does he look so good?! He’s probably the most handsome person that I’ve ever seen. Seconds had passed and he continued to stare at me, he’s not even talking. What is he thinking? “Fine. If you don’t want to tell me, then don’t.” He smiled slightly and looked away.

 

“My dream?” He sighed heavily, “I… I want to sleep and never wake up again.” He stared at me seriously and I stared back, “My dream is death. I want to die, Lois.” And the moment he said that, I felt like my heart shattered.

 

“Why?” It was the first thing that came out from my mouth, “I mean, why would you want to die? You… can’t die, James.”

 

“I told you, you won’t understand.” He said with a small smile on his face.

 

“Then make me understand why.” I said staring at his eyes. I want him to feel my sincerity. I want him to feel that I won’t let him die.

 

He sighed, “My life’s a mess, Lois. Every single person that is important in my life wants me gone. My mother left me, my father hates me. He said that I’m not even his son.” He laughed… and I know that it was fake, “And that’s probably the reason why I never felt his love for me, because I am not his son. I won’t probably go to college too, my dreams will never happen anymore. And those reasons are probably enough for me to end my life.”

 

I held his hand and searched for his eyes, “I am here, James.”

 

“No, Lois.” He said as he shake his head, “I’m a mess. I am ruined. I cannot let you ruin yourself for me. I can’t watch you suffering because of me. I can’t.” He’s staring at me seriously, tears are threatening to fall from his eyes.

 

I touched his face, “Then I’ll fix you.”

 

He held my hand that was touching his face, “No one can ever fix me. You can’t fix something that’s already broken.”

“Yes, but we are two broken souls. Our two broken souls might be one as long as we are together.” I told him sincerely. He didn’t reply, he just continued to stare at me.

 

“I love you.” Those three words came out from his lips. I was caught off-guard. I can’t believe that this is happening, “I love you, Lois.” He repeated, saying it more sincerely this time. I smiled. I can’t hide my happiness. Is this really happening?

 

I held his hand and looked at him, “I know… I love you too, James. I promise, I’ll never leave you.” And he smiled too, for the first time he smiled with his eyes. He looks so alive and… happy. I am very happy too.

 

“Then, how about you? What is your dream, Lois?” I smiled at the thought of his question.

 

“When I was young, I dreamt of being a star.”

 

“A star?” He said and looked at me.

 

“Yes. I want to be a star that shines bright when the world was enveloped by darkness.” I smiled at him, “When I was young, my dad died because of a car accident. My mom felt like her whole world collapsed, that her world suddenly became dark. But she told me that whenever she saw me, she saw hope. She said that I am her star because I shined brightly when she thought that darkness is taking her away. And that’s when I started to dream of being a star.”

 

He smiled at me brightly and kissed my forehead, “A star… How pretty.”

 

 

A month had passed since James and I officially became together. I’m so excited to see him because he said that we’ll celebrate our first monthsary today. I didn’t know that he could be so romantic. I picked out my best dress and wore a pretty shoes, I also put on some make-up. I want to look pretty for him.

 

I am busy looking at myself in the small mirror in my room when someone knocked and opened my door, it’s my grandma.

“Wow. You look extremely pretty, apo! Are you going somewhere?” My grandma asked as she smiled brightly at me.

 

“I’m going on a date with James, Grandma.” I said with a big smile on my face.

 

“But before you go, someone is here to see you. She’s outside, waiting for you.” My forehead creased. Who could possibly look for me? I don’t have any friends here. James is the only one who knows me. I went out of my room and went outside. And there, I saw a familiar figure standing. There was a luggage bag beside her…

 

“Mom?” She turned around and smiled at me. She quickly walked towards me and enveloped me into a hug. I don’t know what to feel. Should I be happy?

 

“I missed you, darling. When did you get so pretty?” She said then she touched my face, “Are you still mad at Mom? You don’t need to be mad anymore. I talked to your Uncle William, he said that he’s okay with you living with us now. He said that he’ll try to be close to you.” She said looking so happy. While me? I can feel my whole world collapsing. She came back when I finally found my new world, my new life, my happiness, “Aren’t you happy dear?”

 

“Mom… Mom, I—“I gasped when I saw James standing near the gate of our house, he was holding a bouquet of flowers and a book. I can’t read his face. He looks mad, confused and pained… I tried to call him but he turned his back on me and dropped the flowers and the book that he was holding, “JAMES! JAMES, WAIT!” I said as I tried to run after him. I could hear my mom calling me but I don’t care. What important to me is James.

 

I ran as fast as I can so that I could follow him. When I finally reached him he stopped and faced me. He’s not saying anything but I know that he’s mad at me, “Let me explain, James. I didn’t know that mom would come here. You know that I have no idea if she’ll take me to London with her.”

 

“And so? Now that she’s back, are you really leaving? Are you leaving me?” He said looking at my eyes, I know that he’s expecting me to tell him that I’m not leaving him but I can’t answer. I don’t know why I couldn’t utter ‘no’.

 

He frustratingly combed his long hair with his hands and looked at me disappointedly, “You told me that you’ll never leave. You promised that you’ll stay. But you’re just like my mother. You’ll leave me too. You’ll abandon me too.” After he said that, he began to walk away from me. And it felt like he was walking away from my life too. I don’t have the courage to stop him because what he said slapped me hard. He’s right. But what could I do? Do I even have a choice?

 

I went home crying, I locked my door. I didn’t let anyone in, not even my mom. It hurts so bad. It hurts to see the man that you love hurting because of you. I can’t bear it. I ruined him more… Days quickly passed by, I don’t go to school, I can’t eat, I can’t sleep and I kept on crying. I am confused. I don’t know what to do with my life anymore. But all of that changed when I heard my mother and grandmother talking.

 

“James was missing since yesterday. His friends can’t find him anywhere. They want to file a missing report to the police but James’ father told them not to. That worthless father said that he wants his child lost.”

 

After I heard that, I quickly get out of my room. I have to find James, I need to find James. I can’t let him be alone at this state. I know… I know what he could do… My mom didn’t try to stop me, she knows where I am going, I know that they know that I heard what they were talking about. But she talked to me about my plans, about what I plan to do. I told her my decision, she didn’t agree but we compromised. And I need to tell James about it.

 

I searched everywhere for James. I went at the place where he burned his parents’ small house, at the hill where we had our first date, it’s his favorite place but he’s not there. I started to feel anxious. I don’t know where to find him anymore!

 

I went to our school, hoping that maybe he’s there. Maybe he’s just studying at the library, after all it’s his hobby. I searched every corner of the school but he’s not there. I am losing hope that I’ll find him but I can’t stop. I am scared of what might happen. I climbed up the stairs, my last and only hope is the rooftop. I kept on praying that he’s there, safe and sound. When I finally opened the door, I almost lost it all when I saw him standing at edge of the rooftop. My tears immediately fell.

 

“JAMES, STOP!” I said as I ran towards him and pull him onto me. I felt us falling at the ground. I hugged him tightly. He’s… he’s trying to die. I looked at him and touched his face, he looks like he died already. He became thin and he looks so stressed and tired of life. I cried even harder, “Are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere?”

He looked at me blankly, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I am looking for you. Do you know how worried I am?”

 

“Wow. You care?” He said mockingly, my heart breaks, “I thought you’ll leave? You’ll go to London right? You’ll leave me. So stop acting like you care. Stop acting like you really love me.”

 

I kept on shaking my head, how could he say this? I love him… so much that it hurts so bad, “That’s not true. I love you. You know that, James.”

 

“You love me?” He laughed like crazy, what is happening to him? I can’t understand him anymore… “So you are supposed to leave the person you love? That’s crazy. Is that love?” He said then he stared at me, anger can be seen on his eyes. “Leave me alone. It’ll be better for you and for everyone if I die.” He stand back up and went at the edge of the rooftop again, “Goodbye, Lois.” He said and smiled brightly, he closed his eyes and was about to jump but I was quick to pull him onto me again.

 

I hugged him tightly again and whispered, “Stop this, James please. Please stop. Please don’t kill yourself for me. Please, I am begging you.” He touched my shoulders, I thought that he’ll hug me back but I was shocked when he pushed me. I fell at the floor. My tears fall again.

 

“I TOLD YOU TO LEAVE ME ALONE! To just leave me so things would be easier for you. JUST LEAVE ME TOO! After all that’s what every woman is good at right?! LEAVING. LEAVING THE PERSON THEY SAID THEY LOVE.”

 

I shake my head. I can’t believe that he’s saying this. I can’t believe that he hurt me, “I love you so much, James… I love you so much that it hurts to leave you too.” I wiped my tears, “I kept on thinking what to do so that we’ll never be apart. I pleaded my Mom to just leave me here and go back to London and continue her life without me. But she didn’t agree.” He’s just looking at me, “But instead, she said that you could come with us.” Shock suddenly came on his face, I was shocked when I first heard that too, “Your Mom and my Mom was best friends so she knew your Dad. They met at London, James. Mom told him about you and he doesn’t know. Your Dad was working there too and he wants to meet you, he wants to be with you. That’s also one of the reason why Mom came here, she wants to tell you but you went missing all of a sudden.” I said while looking at him. Guilt was painted all over his face, “We’ll be leaving two days from now. Just… just come to our house if you want to come with us.” I said as I turned my back on him. I hope that, that reason would be enough for him to live.

 

As I walk out, tears are still continuing to fall on my face. I can’t even see clearly. My heart hurts so bad that it feels like it’ll burst any moment from now. Those words that he said broke my heart. He keeps on comparing me to his mother and that hurts me the most. Because I’ll never leave him hanging, I’ll never leave him like that.

 

I kept on walking and my eyes are so blurry because of tears. I was walking on the middle of the road when I heard someone shouted, “Lois, wait!” I wiped my tears and saw James running towards me. I was just standing there looking at him when I saw fear crossed on his face. He was looking at me and at my back and he ran more faster, I looked at my back and saw a fast car approaching me. I froze at my place. I can’t move, I am… scared. But I suddenly felt someone push me…

 

And everything happened so fast. All I know is that I heard a loud noise, there was a blinding light, blood was everywhere… And there was James… lying at the ground soaking in his own blood. He’s looking at me while smiling and uttered, “I love you so much, Lois.” And he closed his eyes. And I ran towards him. And I hugged him. I shouted asking for help but no one came. And I cried. I cried for the life that was lost. I cried for the love that was broken. I cried for us. For our broken souls.

 

And I don’t know what happened anymore.

 

 

I am finally back. I smiled when I saw my grandmother and my uncle waiting for me outside the airport. I hugged them tightly, I missed them so much. We went out and rode a van. They keep on asking questions about how my life on London was, and I answered every single question. We were happy until we’re finally back at the province. It’s already late. The sun will set any moment from now.

 

My grandma hugged me tightly, “You know where he is. He’s been waiting for you for so long already.” She smiled and gave me a bouquet of flowers, “These flowers looks like the one he gave you before.” I thanked her and hugged her too. After that, I went to the place where he is. And I finally saw him. He was at the hill, the place he loved the most.

 

“Hi, James.” I said as I put the bouquet of flowers on his grave, I shivered when I felt cold air brushed against me. I closed my eyes and hugged myself, “I know it’s you, I missed you so much.”

 

I sat down and cleaned the dirt on his grave, after that I touched his name that was engraved on it, James Vincent Jimenez. I spent my time telling him stories, I told him about his real father, about what happened in my life in London. And how I finally became a Lawyer, his real dream.

 

After James died, I don’t know how to start my life again. How I could move on. I wanted to find justice for what happened to him, but I can’t find it anymore. The moment James died, the driver of the car also died, James’ foster father. It was an accident. His father was drunk driving that night and James was the victim. He wants his child lost, and he did it on his own.

 

I wasn’t able to handle all the pain that I felt, I was traumatized by cars. Before, I watched my own father die because of it, and I witnessed another one. I saw the love of my life dying with my own eyes again. That’s why Mom said that I forgot all the bad memories. I don’t know how that happened and I can’t understand even if she already explained it to me. But all that matters is I remember him already. That I am here already. I lied beside his grave, it’s already dark and I could already see the stars in the sky. I missed the stars in this place. I closed my eyes for a moment, remembering James’ face. And as I open my eyes again, I saw a bright star shining brightly at me.

 

“Is it you, James?” I said and smiled brightly, “You fulfilled my dream of being a star. How pretty.” I reached out my hand and I felt like I am touching him, my star, “No more crying, no more pain, only the good memories will be left, my love. You fixed my broken soul even though you were broken too. God knows how thankful I am for having you in my life even if it’s only for a short period of time. You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me. Thank you for sacrificing your life for me. I promise that I would never forget you again. I’ll always fulfill my promise that I’ll never leave you. You’ll stay in my heart forever, I would love you forever. Even though you are not here with me anymore…” I smiled at the thought that he’s finally resting in peace. His heart is finally at ease. He’ll no longer dream of death. He’ll never feel pain again. And I’ll stop myself from suffering too, because it’s time for us to be happy. I have to mend my broken soul alone. But with him up there, I know that he’ll guide me. I know that he’ll be there in every step that I take. Because he’s James. And he’ll never leave me alone.