Reason

Reason

Everything happens for a reason, and I’ve always been told that you can’t change the past.

 

Here I stand at the tree where we first met as children and trace our initials that we carved into the bark.

 

Just a few weeks ago you were standing by my side laughing about how I couldn’t make up my mind about what I wanted to eat. Your laughter was always so contagious and I couldn’t help but laugh too.

 

You always ended up picking the places where we went to eat. You picked all of the places that we went together and those were the best days of my life.

 

You were the best friend I ever had and it made sense that I fell in love with you somewhere along the way. I don’t remember when I fell in love with you, but I do remember how nervous and awkward I would get around you when I figured it out.

 

I wish I told you how I really felt about you and now I’ll never get that chance.

 

Nothing feels real anymore as I stare down at my phone and read your last texts to me over and over again.

 

Why did it have to be you? Why did you have to be the one to die?

 

“You can’t change the past kid.” A scratchy voice mumbled.

 

I turned around to find an old woman looking at me with a smile on her face.

 

“Yeah. I know that but I wish that I could.” I whispered in a saddened voice.

 

“And what would you do if you could change the past?” The elderly woman asked me.

 

“I’d go back and tell the one that I love how I really feel.” I replied.

 

“So you’d go back just for a love confession? Why is that so important?” The old woman chuckled.

 

“Because he died two weeks ago. A drunk driver pulled a hit and run. I never got to tell him how I really felt about him.” I said sadly.

 

“I see. Well if you do go back to the past, are you prepared for the consequences?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well I can’t tell you that, kid. You have to find that out on your own. Just remember that every action has a consequence whether it be a good or bad one. Nothing goes unnoticed by time either. Time is really a fickle thing. I suppose I’m curious to see how things play out though. You seem like a decent kid so I suppose it won’t hurt things too bad.” The old woman mumbled to herself.

 

“Excuse me.” I chimed in.

 

“Oh goodness. Look at me carrying on. It’s getting pretty late now kid. You should probably go on home and go to bed. Just remember what I said earlier, kid.” The old woman stated as she walked off and disappeared from my sight.

 

That woman was certainly strange but she was right about one thing, I did need to get home.



 

My home no longer felt the same without him here. Most of his belongings were here and still in the exact same places he had left them. He was always much cleaner and far more organized than I ever was. He constantly had to come over and clean up after me.

 

If only you really could go and change the past. Nothing feels the same now.

 

I need to turn back time. I need one more chance and one more night with him.

 

The bed suddenly felt like my savior as I plopped down on it and fell asleep with a heavy heart.





 

The sound of my alarm woke me up as I grumbled to myself and turned it off without really looking. What was I supposed to be doing today?

 

I yawned and made my way to the kitchen like usual when I spotted a strange figure moving around.

 

There must be a burglar here in my apartment. What do I do? I should call for help or find something to knock them out with.

 

All I have is my phone and I highly doubt that will work right now.

 

I pressed myself up against the wall and peeked into my kitchen.

 

“Himchan?!” I shouted out as said person turned to face me.

 

“Daehyun. Morning. Thought I’d make you breakfast since you’ve been so busy lately.” Himchan smiled at me.

 

I stood in the doorway with my mouth agape, staring at Himchan who shouldn’t even be alive right now.

 

“Is everything okay? You’re kind of doing this weird thing with your mouth and face right now.” Himchan laughed as he flipped a pancake.

 

I couldn’t say anything as I calmly walked over to Himchan and poked him in the arm. His arm felt smooth and soft as I touched him.

 

“Dae, what’s wrong with you this morning?” Himchan asked in concern.

 

“I don’t know. I thought you died.” I whispered.

 

“Oh I get it. You’ve been watching those horror movies again late at night. You know those movies give you nightmares. Sheesh.” Himchan chuckled as he stuck his tongue out at me.

 

I wrapped my arms tightly around Himchan as I buried my tear stained face into his neck.

 

“I thought I lost you but you’re really here.” I whispered into his neck.

 

“Hey. Dae. It’s okay. I’m not going anywhere.” Himchan whispered to me as he wrapped his arms around me.

 

We stayed like this for a few more seconds before Himchan pulled away from me to finish making breakfast.

 

“Chan, what day is it?” I asked.

 

“It’s the sixth of June. Did you forget the days again? You are super weird today.” Himchan rolled his eyes at me.

 

If what Himchan is saying is really true then that means I’ve went back in time to the last day he was alive. That’s crazy though. Time travel isn’t real. This has to be a dream or something.

 

It can’t be a dream though because I touched Himchan and it felt real like how real people feel. No. Nope. This is crazy. I’m going crazy. Time travel does not exist but if it really does then someone wanted me to have a second chance, but who? Oh! That old lady I met last night. She must have something to do with this.

 

“Breakfast is ready, Dae!” Himchan exclaimed as he snapped me out of my thoughts.

 

“Oh. Thanks.” I mumbled as I grabbed my plate.

 

“So...what do you want to do today? It’s pretty nice outside so maybe we could do something outdoors.” Himchan stated as he started to eat his breakfast.

 

“Sure. Whatever you want to do is fine with me.” I smiled at him.

 

“Great! Let’s go walk on the beach. We haven’t done that in forever it feels like.” Himchan said happily.

 

I could only smile at him as I realized just how little time we had left. I wouldn’t let anything happen to him and I had to tell him my true feelings today.



 

The beach wasn’t too crowded as we walked along the shore with our shoes in our hands.

 

“So I was thinking it would probably be easier if I just moved in with you. I mean I pretty much already live there anyway so we should just make it official.” Himchan admitted with a cheesy grin.

 

“You’re right. I’ve always wanted a live-in maid.” I teased.

 

Himchan blushed as he gently pushed me and started laughing.

 

“I can’t believe we’re about to graduate from University this year. It all seems so surreal.” Himchan spoke softly as if he were lost in thought.

 

“Yeah. It really does. I’m actually going to miss it. Adulting is so hard.” I groaned.

 

“Yeah. Listening to people complain all day is exhausting.”

 

“Well at least I have you to keep me company.” I smirked at Himchan.

 

“Lucky me.” Himchan teased.

 

This seemed as good a time as any to tell Himchan how I really feel.

 

“Hey Chan.” I said nervously.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you for quite some time now.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I uhh…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Oh gosh this is so embarrassing.” I said awkwardly.

 

“Just tell me already you dork.” Himchan chuckled.

 

“Himchan, I love you. I’ve been in love with you for years.” I blurted out quickly.

 

Himchan didn’t say anything to me as he just stood there staring at me, not blinking.

 

“Chan, please say something. Did I break you? Speak to me.” I panicked.

 

Himchan blinked several times before shaking his head.

 

“This whole time I thought that you didn’t feel the same as me but hearing you say that makes me so happy.” Himchan smiled as he threw his arms around me and hugged me.

 

I could feel my heart beating so fast as we held each other in a sweet embrace and when our lips met for the first time it was like a burning flame enveloped the both of us.

 

“I wish we had done this sooner.” I breathed.

 

“Me too. I can still move in with you though, right?” Himchan smiled at me.

 

“Sure. Now I can have a maid and a boyfriend.” I teased as I stuck out my tongue in a childish manner.

 

“You are so rude.” Himchan laughed as he gently punched me in the arm.

 

“So what should we do tonight then?” Himchan asked as he stared out at the ocean.

 

“Well I can think of something we can do well into the night.” I smirked.

 

Himchan didn’t say anything as he blushed and bit his lower lip in both excitement and nervousness.

 

“So that’s a yes?”

 

“Let’s go right now before I change my mind.” Himchan said quickly as he grabbed my hand and forced us to head back to our place.



 

I stared at Himchan’s body lying right next to mine in my bed. I’ve never seen a more beautiful sight in my life as my black bed sheet clung to the lower half of his body like a second skin. Himchan was fast asleep with his black hair clinging to his forehead and his light pink lips were parted ever so slightly as he exhaled evenly.

 

The more I stared at Himchan the more I wondered about what would happen to him now. Would he still be alive two weeks from now or would he still be killed in a tragic twist of fate?

 

Do I even deserve to sleep knowing that the chance I might not wake up to him again exists?

 

If he still dies then at least I got to finally tell him how I really felt and now I can live with no regrets.

 

I gently brushed his hair from his face before softly whispering, “I love you, Kim Himchan.”

 

Sleep didn’t come easy to me at all.





 

I woke up to an empty bed and the indentation of a head on my spare pillow. My bed felt cold on the opposite side where Himchan had been just last night.

 

“Himchan?” I called out with no response.

 

My apartment was silent as I quickly threw on some clothes and checked my phone. June Twentieth was the date stated on my phone. I was back in the present time. Did I manage to change anything?

 

I quickly called Himchan’s phone but it just went straight to voicemail. My last text from him was four days ago.

 

I had to find that old lady and see what she knows. Maybe she was still where we first met.



 

I stood under mine and Himchan’s tree for what felt like hours before I spotted a familiar face.

 

“I see your back, kid. How did you do?” The old woman asked as she approached me.

 

“I confessed my feelings for him and we had the best night of my life. I didn’t see him in bed with me this morning though.” I explained.

 

“I told you that you can’t change the past, kid. He was meant to die. His time was up. All you did was change how and when he died. I’m sorry, kid. Did you at least say everything that you needed to?” The old woman asked in a saddened voice.

 

“Yeah. I think so. How did it happen?” I questioned her as I stared at the ground.

 

“It happened four days ago. He was arguing on the phone with his mother when he walked right out in front of a moving car. The driver couldn’t stop in time. I’m sorry.” The old woman informed me as she placed her wrinkled hand on my shoulder.

 

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault. If anything I should be thanking you. You let me go back in time to fix something I regretted for the longest time.” I said trying to force a smile at her.

 

“I always help those in need. I can’t turn a blind eye to those whose hearts are hurting.” The old woman whispered.

 

“Thank you, mam.” I nodded.

 

“Call me, Mina. I know it hurts right now but you will understand with time. You will always have those memories and even dreams of those you have lost. Cherish those memories you have, kid. You may not realize it but you gave that boy the best few weeks of his life. He was happy because of you. Don’t let this stop you from living your life to the fullest. Go out and be happy. Live life.” The old woman stated with a smile before she walked off and disappeared again without a trace.

 

Can I really be happy without Himchan in my life though? I guess only time will tell.





 

Two months have gone by faster than I care to admit and I find myself throwing out some junk that I don’t even need anymore.

 

I could hear laughter from some high school kids as they walked closer towards my apartment in their little group.

 

“Do you need any help?” A male voice asked me as I peeked my head out from the boxes I was carrying.

 

My eyes landed on a high school boy with black hair and doe like eyes. The boy was biting his lip nervously as he fidgeted in his spot for a few moments.

 

“Thanks but I’ll manage. It’s really not that heavy.” I mumbled.

 

“Youngjae! Hurry up!” I heard some people yell out.

 

“Just a minute!” The boy in front of me yelled back.

 

“You should go meet up with your friends. Thanks for offering to help me though. I appreciate the gesture.” I smiled at him.

 

“It’s no problem. I’m Yoo Youngjae, by the way.” The boy named Youngjae stated.

 

“I’m Jung Daehyun. Nice to meet you.” I replied.

 

I found myself smiling at the boy for longer than I thought but there was something about him that made me curious about him.

 

“Hey, Youngjae. Are you free this weekend?” I asked him.

 

“Y-Yeah. Why?” Youngjae asked me in a quiet voice.

 

“Want to hang out?”

 

“You want to hang out with a high schooler? Aren’t you a university student?” Youngjae questioned.

 

“Yeah. I don’t know. I just have a good feeling about you as weird as that sounds.” I chuckled.

 

“You do? Well sure. I’ll see you this weekend then.” Youngjae smiled.

 

I don’t know what came over me, but I had a really good feeling about this Youngjae boy.

 

In the distance I could swear I heard an old woman laughing as Youngjae and I continued to smile at each other.


A/N: This is different from my usual pairing but Daejae will exist!! There will be a sequel to this story for those of you that wish to subscribe. All comments and subscriptions are welcome here. Thank you all!! ^_^