What They Are To Her

What They Are To Her

“Yeri-ah?”

“Mhmm?”

Joy turns her body to face Yeri’s bed. Thanks to the light coming from their hotel window, she can somewhat see the younger girl’s silhouette. Yeri’s all bundled up in thick blankets, her body facing upwards so she’s staring at the ceiling. Joy can’t help but think how Yeri looks so –

Comfortable. Warm. Safe. Familiar.            

“That was a good concert, right? I am happy.”

Yeri turns her head to look at her unnie. “I’m glad you are. I had a good night too.”

Joy sighs and buries her head in her pillow. She allows herself a moment to breathe, to think, to rest. In a few hours, she has to fly back to Korea and go straight to filming. She hasn’t had time to reflect nor relax in so long. But the energy from the concert strengthens her. When she closes her eyes, she sees the sea of smiling faces and coral pastel lights. That comforts her a lot.

“You look tired, Sooyoung-unnie.”

Yeri stares at her earnestly and Joy looks back. After performing for two nights in a row, she’s surprised to see the maknae still so bright. Not a hint of sadness or fatigue in those wide eyes.

How admirable is it to be so strong at such a young age?

“Yah,” Joy whispers in the darkness. “You should sleep too, Yerim.”

“You should know better than to expect me to fall asleep early, unnie,” she lightly says into the darkness. “Especially in foreign places.”

Of course, she knows. They hadn’t been roommates for years to end up not knowing each other like the back of their hands.

“Aigoo, this girl. Come here.”

Joy also knows what helps her fall asleep. With a roll of her eyes, she pulls back her blanket and waits for Yeri to come in. Once safely cocooned, Joy slips her arm around small shoulders and almost immediately, the maknae sinks into her.

Comfortable. Warm. Safe. Familiar.

Just when her eyes had began to flutter close, a quiet voice speaks up and surprises her.

“Sooyoungie? It’s ok if you miss practices or events. We know how much you’re dedicated to this. And we love seeing you grow and working hard, no matter where you are or who you are with.”

Joy feels a hand rub her lower back slowly. It’s the lightest touch that tickles her skin. Without warning, her eyesight becomes a little blurry. Her voice is stuck in . Her chest feels weighed down. She doesn’t understand what’s happening but Yerim’s words cut deep and right on target.

 “So don’t cry. Don’t hurt. Don’t feel bad.”

“Yeri-ah,” her voice quivers. She can’t seem to say anything else, so instead she looks down at the young girl. In turn, Yeri looks up and flashes her the softest smile. And if she hadn’t been looking, Joy wouldn’t have even felt the soft kiss on her jaw – a feather’s touch of affection.

 “Time to sleep, unnie,” the maknae coos. “You have a busy day tomorrow.”

Comfortable. Warm. Safe. Familiar.

That’s what Red Velvet is to her. That’s what Reveluvs are to her.

And definitely, that’s what Kim Yerim is to her.