Final

Read To Me

“Kyungsoo can I talk to you?” Kyungsoo’s Literature teacher asks him as Kyungsoo is packing up after class.

“Of course. What is it? Do you need help carrying papers again?” Kyungsoo replies.

“No but I want to ask you if you could help another one of my students by tutoring him. It is not that he does not understand the way I teach but it takes him longer to learn and fully understand concepts than other people. However, he is falling behind in class and it is affecting his grade so would you work with him after school to keep him up to pace?”

“Yes. I would be more than willing to help.”

“Thank you. I will send you his information later. Have a good day Kyungsoo.”

“You too Professor.”

 

The next day, Kyungsoo walks into the library after his last class looking for a Kim Jongin.

He looks around the tutoring area to see if maybe there is a person that looks like they're having trouble. Everyone is paired up in the area besides one person in the back who seems to be sleeping and using a book as a pillow.

Kyungsoo walks over to that person and sits next to him.

“Excuse me.” Kyungsoo says while poking the sleeping person. “Excuse me… are you perhaps Kim Jongin?”

The person’s head lifts up and the sleepy (but really handsome) person stares back at Kyungsoo. The person slightly nods his head.

“Ah… well I was asked to help tutor another student named Kim Jongin. My name is Do Kyungsoo.” Jongin just nods again.

“I see that you have The Iliad book. A classic poem from Homer that everyone has to read in school.”

“I-I have to read it and write an essay bou-about it.” Jongin finally speaks but quietly and mumbles it out so Kyungsoo really has to concentrate on what Jongin is saying to understand.

“So what do you need help with?” Kyungsoo asks.

“I- uh- have dyslexia.” Jongin mumbles. “It hurts my head just looking at a book this big. And it does not help that it is written as a poem so it is even harder for me to understand words.”

“How can I help you Jongin? What have you done when reading books and writing essays before attending a university?”

“In high school, we read shorter, more modern books so it was not as hard to read compared to this book. Plus teachers always went over the book with us and never cared what you wrote in an essay as long as you got it done.”

“I see… How about you tell me how far you have gotten so far in the Iliad and I’ll help clarify anything you don’t understand.”

“I think I got through the first part but I don’t remem… remember any of it. I was just looking at words but nothing has stuck in my head.” Jongin sighs.

“Well shall we start from the beginning?” Kyungsoo asks cracking open the book to the first page.

 

Kyungsoo arrives back to his home after his first session with Jongin. He immediately goes to his room and turns on his laptop.

Kyungsoo opens a browser and types in ‘Dyslexia’. If he wants to help Jongin, he first has to understand what exactly being dyslexic is. All he ever knew about dyslexia is that people switch up letters and numbers that look similar.

After researching for about an hour, he feels as if he understands enough to help Jongin.

 

At the next tutoring session, Kyungsoo walks into the library and goes towards the back of the tutoring section to find a sleeping Jongin again.

“Hello Jongin.” Kyungsoo says while sitting down next to Jongin again.

Jongin raises his head again and mumbles out a ‘hello’.

“I did some research about dyslexia. And I learnt that it affects people differently. I have an idea on how to help you but if it is ok with you, can you tell me how it affects you?”

Jongin is silent for a few moments. “It... I… It’s hard to explain. I… um… never really told anyone about this. I never went to a doctor to diagnose it but it is pretty...uh clear that I have it. Since I was a child, I always had trouble reading and was at a lower level of reading than other kids. My parents never thought that I had a problem and that it was not necessary to get extra help for me so I have learnt how to love with my dyslexia.

“I have the typical switching letters around or see letters backwards, flipped the other way around. But when reading books that have a lot of words on a page so close together, especially a small page in small font, I feel like I’m blind even though I can see the words. The words do not register in my head because … it’s um… it’s like they’re all screaming at me at once. That is the best way I can explain it. It’s so overwhelming. They are all screaming together that it makes it hard to concentrate on one word, recognize it, and understand it.

“When I try to block out all the other words and concentrate on and understand each word as I read throughout the page and then comprehend all the words together...” Jongin covers his eyes and forehead with his hands as if they were hurting, “It hurts my head and my eyes so much that I cannot focus anymore and I start to feel tired. When reading, I mix up words, switch words around, combine words, or see words that aren’t there so that really confuses me too and makes me have to concentrate even harder which only makes my head hurt more. Also it is hard for me to pronounce words, especially long ones that I have never seen before so I do not talk a lot or read aloud when in class because I do not want people to think that I’m stupid when I’m not.” Jongin lets out a heavy sigh. “It just a whole mess… And don’t even get me started on my problems with numbers.”

“Wow. I’m so sorry that you have to go through this Jongin.” Kyungsoo says as Jongin finishes and tries to comfort him. “But I have an idea that can help you. How about I record myself reading the story for you. Do you think that can work?”

Jongin looks up and meets Kyungsoo’s eyes. Kyungsoo swears that Jongin’s eyes brightened up. “Wo-Woul-d you really d-do that fo-or me?”

“Of course. I agreed to be your tutor so I’ll do anything to help you learn better. When I am given an opportunity to help someone, I give it my all. And instead of reading the old language, I will read it in our modern language so it will be easier for you to understand.” Kyungsoo smiles at Jongin and a slight blush blooms on Jongin’s face.

“That will help me a lot. I can’t say how much this means to me. No one has ever tried to understand me, learn about dyslexia, or try to help me in other ways than just making me read more. I learn better if I hear the words or have hands-on experience so thank you.”

“Now let’s not do any tutoring today. Since we will be spending a lot of time together, tell me more about yourself Jongin. I would love to be friends.”

Jongin freezes. He hates talking about himself, especially being on the stop and not prepared. “Uh… I’m the uh youngest in-in my family. I am majoring in dance.”

“Really? That’s really cool! I can’t dance to save my life.” Kyungsoo jokes and laughs lightly.

“Y-Ye-Yeah. It is the only thing that I’m good at since I can’t read well, can’t do math, or science for the most part. Plus dancing does not include writing papers, reading books, and all that. I just listen to the music and my body moves. I feel normal, just like everyone else.” The passion in Jongin’s eyes as he talks about his dancing makes Jongin look even more handsome and Kyungsoo’s heart skips a beat.

 

After talking to each other for at least an hour, they decide to leave because it is starting to get dark. Although both of them secretly do not want to leave and were enjoying their conversations.

Kyungsoo told Jongin that he was majoring in Literature and laughs to himself when Jongin groans just at the thought of majoring in something with so much words. Kyungsoo also tells Jongin that he sings sometimes and they even found out that they have a similar taste in music. But while Kyungsoo sings along with it, Jongin dances to it.

Eventually, Jongin really started to open up to Kyungsoo and told Kyungsoo more about how his dyslexia affects him. Jongin told him that Kyungsoo is basically the only person that knows about his dyslexia and its effects. For example, how he is extremely shy because when he talks to others. Jongin mumbles a lot and often mixes up words, stutters, or forget words in the middle of a sentence, especially when he is nervous. Jongin does not open up about this much and Kyungsoo feels honored that even in the short time they knew each other, Jongin feels comfortable enough around Kyungsoo to tell him his secrets. It makes Kyungsoo’s inside feel warm.

Jongin stops right outside the library doors. Kyungsoo stops too and looks back at Jongin. “Are you ok Jongin?”

Jongin’s face is slightly red. “C-Can I um... Can I have your number?” Jongin mumbles out.

“W-What?”

“Your nom-number… Um can I ha-ha-have it? I-I mean if-if it is ok with you since you will be tut-tutoring me now. I think its uh it would help me if I was to have a por-problem with something, I could message you instead of waiting until the next time we met… I mean meet up.” Too cute. Kyungsoo thinks to himself at the nervous Jongin.

Kyungsoo pulls out his phone and hands it to Jongin. “Here put you number in.” Jongin takes the phone and slowly enters his phone number making sure not to mix up the numbers then hands the phone back to Kyungsoo. “I'll message you later so you will have my number. I'll see you around. Good bye Jongin.”

“Goodbye Kyungsoo.” Jongin says back then turns around and leaves in the opposite direction than the one Kyungsoo needs to go.

 

The next day, while Jongin is trying to focus on his math homework in his room, his phone dings. He looks at his phone and sees that he got a text message from an unknown number.

    Hey Jongin, it’s Kyungsoo! I finished recording the first part of the book. Here is a link to the recording. It is private so only whoever has a link can view it.

Jongin clicks on the link in the text message and it takes him to an audio download website. His heart speeds up. He really can’t believe that Kyungsoo is doing this for him even though they have not known each other for more than a few days. This means so much to him.

He downloads the audio file to his phone and quickly opens it when it finishes.

It is quiet for a few seconds then he hears Kyungsoo clearing his throat.

Hello Jongin, it’s me Kyungsoo. I am going to record myself reading the book. I will read a section how it is written then I will explain what that section means in case you do not understand, okay? Let’s begin…” Kyungsoo’s voice says and continues to read, stopping every so often to explain what those old words and phrases mean.

Hearing Kyungsoo’s deep, soothing voice does things to Jongin’s mind and heart. It does not help that Jongin has a secret crush on Kyungsoo.

 

As soon as Jongin sees Kyungsoo, he runs up to him and throws his arms around Kyungsoo. This surprises Kyungsoo since he is not in the library but outside the university talking with his friends and was not expecting to see Jongin.

“J-Jongin?” Kyungsoo stutters out, heart beating quickly since he is surprised, but also because Jongin is hugging him.

“Thank you! Thank you so much Kyungsoo! That recording you did for me was extremely useful! I finally understand what is happening in that damn book.” Jongin says then remembers that they are not alone. He looks at the two other people looking at him very confused.

Jongin quickly lets go of Kyungsoo, blushing heavily and looking down at his shoes.

“I’m glad that I can help you Jongin. This makes me very happy also. I have been recording the other parts that I will send you later.”

“We-Well… I uh have to go to-to class no-now. I see - I will see you later.” Jongin manages to get out, extremely embarrassed.

“Of course. I will see you later. Let’s work on starting your essay today, ok?” Kyungsoo says and Jongin nods then runs off.

“Wooo, who was that cutie?”

“Hey don’t call others ‘cutie’ when I’m next to you!”

“Stop being so possessive Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo says rolling his eyes. “And that person is Jongin, the one that I have been tutoring lately.”

“You like him don’t you Kyungsoo? He is totally your type.”

“Shut up Baekhyun, we need to start heading to class now.” Kyungsoo says then walks away quickly from the annoying couple as they try to catch up with him.

“Hey Kyungsoo! Why are your ears and neck so red for?!” Baekhyun yells to him teasingly.

 

Jongin closes his eyes and massages his forehead. Trying to do this essay was hurting his head. Kyungsoo has been making him stare at words for too long.

“I guess it is time to stop for today.” Kyungsoo says as he notices that Jongin is in pain. An ‘Oh thank god’ comes out of Jongin’s mouth under his breath as he collapsed on the table. “You did a good job for today. We have completed two pages and have layout for the rest of the essay.”

Jongin cleans up his stuff and puts it all in his backpack. He has been nervous all day, unable to concentrate, fumbling with a paper that has been in his pocket all day with Kyungsoo’s name on it.

They're walking out the doors when Jongin stops Kyungsoo before Kyungsoo walks away.

Jongin pulls out the note he prepared with a shaking hand. “Pl-Please this um… Please read th-is.” Jongin says shyly with a red face and eyes looking at Kyungsoo’s hand.

Kyungsoo accepts the note while being very confused and curious. “What is this?” Kyungsoo asks aloud and starts to unfold the paper.

Jongin stops him though. “N-No… R-Read at home.” Jongin's voice commands.

“Ok. I'll open it at my house. I'll see you next week Jongin. Bye bye!”

“Go-Goodbye.” Jongin replies then runs away.

Kyungsoo just watches as Jongin runs away. Why is he acting so strange today? Kyungsoo thinks to himself then looks at the folded piece of paper in his hand. He decides not wait until he gets home to open it and quickly unfolds it.

    Hello Kyungsoo! It's Jongin. Thank you so much for helping me with my Literature essays. It means so much to me that you are taking time out of your days to record audio for me and help me after classes for no money at all. I am able to understand the story better while listening to your beautiful voice. Please let me repay all you have done for me by taking you out to eat. You can even pick the place! Please let me know your response.

    -Jongin

Kyungsoo’s face, well really his whole body, feels hot. Did Jongin just ask him out on a date? Through a note?

His heart is beating extremely fast and hard that he could hear it in his ears. Does Jongin like him too? Kyungsoo can tell how much effort and work Jongin put into writing that note because his handwriting is neat unlike his usual sloppy handwriting.

Kyungsoo puts the note away in a safe place in his backpack then takes off running the way Jongin walked. After a few minutes, Kyungsoo saw Jongin at the entrance of the building ready to walk out and ran towards him.

Just like what Jongin did before to Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo throws his arms around Jongin. This surprises Jongin and he lets out a small scream. He is even more surprised to see that it is Kyungsoo hugging him.

“What are you a middle schooler Jongin? Running away after handing me a piece of paper that is asking me out?”

“I… um… I- Yo-You we-were sup-posed to read it at home.” Jongin pouts.

“Well I didn't and I want to tell you that I would love to go on a date with you.”

“Not date… I-Its no-not a d-d-date.” Jongin says embarrassedly with a completely bright red face. “Its to um… repay you.”

“Yes ok Jongin. You can think of it however you want but I will see you on Saturday at the Italian restaurant near here around 3pm for our date. Bye Jongin!” Kyungsoo says leaving a very still Jongin behind.

“A date? I'm going on a date with Kyungsoo.” Jongin whispers to himself with a shy smile.

 

It's 3:05 pm on Saturday and Jongin is waiting outside the restaurant for Kyungsoo. But Kyungsoo is nowhere to be seen. Kyungsoo wouldn't stand me up would he? He is the one who told me to be here at 3 pm right? Jongin thinks, so lost in his thoughts about this rejection the he doesn't see someone walk up to him.

“You're really here Jongin?” Jongin looks up and sees Kyungsoo standing in front of him. All of his sad, nervous thoughts instantly disappear.

“Of course. I am the one who asked you out.”

Kyungsoo smiles at him. “Well should we start this ‘not a date’ date?” Jongin nods and they both head inside and are seated down by their waiter.

“This is my favorite restaurant but I can't go to it often because I don't have a lot of money.” Kyungsoo explains as they settle into their table.

“So you're just using me to eat here for free?” Jongin pouts and looks down at the menu.

“No! Of course not! … Well kind of. I did want to come here but also… I wanted to spend time with you at my favorite place.”

Jongin doesn't look up from his menu but Kyungsoo can still see the light blush on his face.

They're quiet until the waiter takes away their menus. It's a little awkward since they are usually only together in the library working on Jongin’s homework. This is the first time they are meeting up outside that atmosphere.

“Sooooo…” Kyungsoo draws out. “How long have you been dancing for?”

“Since I was very young. I started in ballet after convincing my parents to let me dance. They thought that I would get over it after a few weeks but 20 years later, I am still dancing. And I recently got a job at a dance studio. Finally showing my parents that I can do something with my life with dancing.”

“That's great Jongin! I would like to see you perform sometime.”

“Yes. I will invite you if we have a public performance.”

Things between them go back to being silent.

“Um… You don't have to answer and it'll be very awkward if you say no but um are you interested in other men romantically?” Jongin asks looking everywhere but Kyungsoo’s face.

Kyungsoo is taken back by how forward Jongin was. “I- Yes? Although I never had a serious relationship before.”

“Wo-Would y-ou be ent-interested in being in a relationship?”

“Depends… If I really like someone then yes.”

“Ah… I understand.” Jongin is looking at his hands.

While Jongin is paying attention to his hands, Kyungsoo grabs a napkin then a pen out of his bag and starts to write on the napkin.

Kyungsoo slides the napkin over to Jongin. Jongin looks up at the napkin to see that there is writing on it. It takes him awhile for his mind and eyes to focus on the words. And when he does, his heart stops, he stops breathing, and he can't wrap his head around those 6 words.

    Jongin, Will you be my boyfriend?

Jongin looks up to Kyungsoo's face with disbelief.

“My dyslexia isn't playing with me, is it? My mind isn't seeing what I want to see, right?”

“What do you see?” Kyungsoo asks with a slight smirk.

“You're asking me to… to be your boy-boyfriend?” Jongin mumbles trying to take deep breaths to calm his heart.

“Yes I am. Even though we known each other for a few weeks, I have really connected with you and have developed feelings for you rather quickly.”

Jongin hides his face in his hands. Kyungsoo is confessing to him! He was not expecting this. He thought that he would have to live with this one-sided crush until Kyungsoo stopped tutoring him.

“So what is your answer Jongin?”

“Y-Y-Yes! Of course!” Jongin practically yells and frightens the waiter bring their food.

“Sorry. He is excited because we just became boyfriends.” Kyungsoo explains to the scared waiter with a smile that reached his eyes.

“H-Here is your food gentlemen. Enjoy.” The waiter said placing their food on the table then leaving again quickly.

Jongin does not know if it just because of his mood and what just happened or if the food is usually this good but the food he is eating is the best food he has ever eaten.

Jongin has never really had a relationship before because he never had the self-confidence in himself or the courage to ask anyone out. Plus he has spent most of his years focusing on school just to stay on the same level as his fellow classmates instead of  being invested in relationships. But with Kyungsoo, Jongin saw how dedicated Kyungsoo is to helping Jongin stay at the same level as his classmates in education and that really made an impact on Jongin’s heart. Having Kyungsoo help him for free gave Jongin the opportunity to ask Kyungsoo out to eat as a repayment.

 

“I see why you like that restaurant so much. The food was really good.” Jongin says as they left the restaurant after Jongin paid for their meal.

“I am glad that you enjoyed this place too. And now I have another reason to like this restaurant.” Kyungsoo says grabbing Jongin’s hand as they walk down the street.

Jongin’s heart is going to beat out of his chest. He looks over towards Kyungsoo so is smiling back at him. They continue to walk hand in hand down the street, not saying a word to each other but enjoying the atmosphere around them.

“My house is down this way, we have to turn left at this corner.” Kyungsoo says.

When they go to turn the corner, they collide together.

“Why did you turn right Jongin? I said left.” Kyungsoo lightly chuckles.

“Ah . It happened again. Sorry, I get mix up between left and right a lot. One of those dyslexic things.” Jongin explains. “It happens often if I don't actively tell myself which way is right or left, I’ll mess it up. If someone says go left, I might go right and vice versa. It’s really a pain in the especially when trying to drive in a place you don’t know and the GPS tells you which way to turn. I've taken multiple adventures since I turned the wrong way somewhere.”

“Well let me be your guide from now on.” Kyungsoo says.

“Shut up. That's so cheesy.” A blushing Jongin mumbles while secretly enjoying Kyungsoo's cheesy words and letting Kyungsoo guide him back to Kyungsoo's house.

They walk up to Kyungsoo's door and just stand there.

“I can't believe that you are my boyfriend.” Jongin says. “I really like you.”

“I like you too Jongin.”

“Ca-Can I uh kiss y-ou?” Jongin mumbles out shyly.

“Of course.”

Jongin slowly leans in until his lips touch Kyungsoo's full, soft ones.

They break apart after a while and Jongin jumps back, staring at Kyungsoo with wide eyes.

“T-That wa-s-s great.” Jongin says more to himself but loud enough that Kyungsoo hears it.

“I enjoyed it too Jongin.” Kyungsoo smiles and breaks Jongin away from his thoughts and back to reality.

“I… uh… I’ll se-see you Moon-Monday. Bye Kyungs-soo.” Jongin yells nervously and runs away.

Kyungsoo can't be mad that Jongin just ran away after kissing him because of how adorable Jongin acted.

 

Months go by and the school semester is drawing closer to the end. The two lovers are  at Jongin's apartment being lazy on the couch, cuddling together.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo breaks their silence. “Don't you have your final essay due for your literature class due soon?”

Jongin whines which tells Kyungsoo everything he needs to know. “Come on Jongin.” Kyungsoo laughs as Jongin starts to act like a child. “This is your last semester of Literature then you will not have to deal with these boring old books again. Now go get the book and bring it here.”

Jongin does as he is told but whining the whole time. He hate these Literature essays but luckily it is his last one then for the rest of his time in university, he will be able to focus completely on his dancing. But it also means that Kyungsoo will stop reading to me. Jongin thinks and makes him a little sad. He loves falling asleep to Kyungsoo's voice telling him stories.

Kyungsoo laughs as he sees Jongin coming back to the couch. “I said to bring your book Jongin not your whole bed too.”

“I want to be comfortable when you read to me.” Jongin says, throwing his pillow down on Kyungsoo's lap.

Jongin plops himself down on the couch, lays his head on the pillow, and hands the book to Kyungsoo.

“Read to me Kyunggie.” Jongin says cutely as he gets comfortable under the blanket and on Kyungsoo's lap.

“You're lucky that you are cute and that I like to read or I would have pushed you off this couch already.”

Kyungsoo opens the book and starts to read. Kyungsoo holds the book with one hand and his other hand is running through Jongin’s hair. After the first chapter of the book, Kyungsoo notices Jongin's heavy breathing.

“Did you really fall asleep Jongin?” Kyungsoo says and flicks Jongin's forehead.

This freaks Jongin out as he wakes up until he looks around the room calming down.

“What the hell Kyungsoo?” Jongin asks while rubbing his forehead.

“You fell asleep while I was reading! Now we have to start over.”

Jongin pouts. “I can't help it. I listen to your voice every night when going to bed.” Jongin moves his face closer to Kyungsoo's. “It's so nice, deep, and silky smooth that it calm my mind and body and puts me to a peaceful sleep.”

Kyungsoo puts a hand up between his and Jongin's lips. “That's sweet and all but we really need to start this book and the essay. So no kissing until we get a few chapters done and you understand what it is about.”

“But Sooooooo! I want to kiss you then we can read.”

“Read my lips Jongin. Read first, kiss later.”

Jongin smirks, takes the book from Kyungsoo's hand, and places it down out of sight. “You must have forgotten that I'm dyslexic so sometimes I cannot comprehend words that I read.” Jongin smiles and draws Kyungsoo into a kiss. They melt into the kiss as the book full of words falls onto the floor forget by the two.

******

Did you all enjoy this story? It was very interesting to write… the story basically created itself after like the 2nd page. I really wanted to write a short story about having dyslexia since I have it myself. I wanted to show what is was like to have it (the best I could at least, it is hard to put into words how it affects me) beyond what most people know about dyslexia while writing a cute KaiSoo oneshot. I hope that you all enjoyed it! And please check out my other oneshots and the chaptered story that I am currently working on! Thank you!