{ 1 }

Eyes Open

"Wake up, Euna, wake up!"

          I must have fallen asleep again.

"I swear I just left to find some book and you're literally off to dreamland. Remember one time I found you near the---"

"Oh shush it," I waved her off.

          Everyone meet my college best friend, Yura. Well, technically we haven't been best friends that long but you can say she's pretty alright except the fact that she's a blabber. I'd hate to admit it myself but I really am a sleepy person. If Korea holds a sleeping contest, no kidding, I could win that one. I could be the sleeping fairy, Cha Euna. Yura's been suggesting that I should consult a doctor but in my case, that is not my money's number one priority.

"You know what, I dreamed about him again."

"Who?.......

Ah, the cute guy that only exists in your dreams, Princess Euna? Hahaha."

"Very funny, Yura. But really, it's been weeks and the dream keeps on continuing like it's on play. In today's dream, I caught him staring at me. Like he was trying to tell me something. I could definitely feel the intensity."

"Maybe because you need some guys in your life to feel whatever ~womenly~ desires you need to fill. Seriously, I should set you up in a date! You know I got some nice and y hoobaes in our club....."

          As she keeps on enumerating the names of the guys in her phone book, I couldn't help but be bothered by my dream. Was it really just a dream? I can't recall the definite time the dream started. All I can remember was I was in a room. It was Language Class. Suddenly, the bell rang and everyone got up. I quickly scanned the area to look for Yura but I was reminded that we weren't classmates during Language Class. Then, I turned to see the last person in the room as he walks towards the door.

"Excuse me! Excuse me! You... you with the jacket! Ex...cuse me!"

          If you think he turned around, then you're probably wrong. I kept yelling at him just to realize that he had his earphones on. When I got to where he was seated, I saw that he left his white handkerchief with a rose embroidered on it. He didn't look the type to carry something like this. It was cute.

 

(weeks after)

          It's been a month since he keeps on appearing in my dreams. Different scenarios but it was all the same. I can't seem to get the chance to give his handkerchief back. In my dreams, I often see him in class or in the library but the moment I try to approach him, I always fail because it seems like he is avoid me or something. One thing I noticed about him was, he is too distant around people. I haven't seen him hang out with anyone. Not even a shadow.

         It was Friday. We had one class that ends at 7 P.M. and that day, I was determined to give the handkerchief back. Originally, I wanted to ask Yura's help but I crossed her off the list as soon as I remembered that she can't do detective things like this. She is too clumsy. I swear if she tries to be a detective, she would probably fail the moment she steps inside the police premises. It's that bad. Who is better way to trust than yourself, right?

          After the bell rang, I hurriedly went outside the room to wait for him. I put on my mask and murmured, "Don't worry mister handkerchief, you'll reunite with your owner soon." Sounds dumb but I was channeling my inner Detective Conan.

          As soon as I saw him taking long steps towards the hallway, I began following him inconspicuously. I have to be as low-key as possible if I don't want to blow up my disguise. At first, I can still recognize the path. But as he keeps on with his stride, the route seems unfamiliar to me. Until, I saw a huge crowd circling. I was too immerse with what was going on that I suddenly forgot all about my agenda.

", I lost him."

          I have made it this far might as well enjoy the crowd instead. Now that I figured out where he goes on a Friday night, I could definitely go here again next time.

          I tried to squeeze in between people to get a glance of what the hype is all about. I wasn't given the height but hey, I am not that short.  As I try to get in, I could see several guys dancing. I think they were doing a competition. The crowd goes wild when an unknown guy enters the circle and started dancing like crazy. He was insanely good. Wait, he was even better.

"Encore! Encore! Encore!" the people shouted as he ended his dance with deep breathing.

          And then, "That's him!"

         The guy at uni and the guy dancing in front of me. It was like they are two different people stuck in one body. He is a nobody at school. But here, I see a whole new person. People love him here and no doubt he's popular.

         Man, that guy is playing hard to get.

         But after his intro, he left the throng of people. I knew better than to let him get away. As I got an inch close to him, his phone suddenly rang. I couldn't comprehend what the talk was about but it sounded serious. His face turned dark. He immediately reached for his bag, plugged his earphones in and started running in a speed of light. I started chasing for him too but he was just too fast. I thought I could keep up with him since the traffic lights went red.

         I ran.

         I ran.

         I ran.

         I ran.

         But he did not stop. He did not stop when the lights went red. He did not stop when I told him to stop. I kept on shouting at him. He shouldn't have crossed the streets. I couldn't go near him and approach him like I should. The car. He got hit by that damn car and there's blood everywhere. People started circling around him. The lights.....

 

         why........ are....... they......... dim......

         someone..... turn........ them...... on..........

        anyone......... please.........

 

        With tears falling from my left eye, I started drying it with my hands.

"Another dream," I sighed in frustration. I fell asleep in class once again. Out of all the dreams I've experienced, this one felt real. I could still feel the sting in my heart.

        Then, an unfamiliar hand offered a familiar handkerchief. Embroidered with a rose. I looked up to the guy standing in front of me. He was alive. 

"Are you alright? I saw you crying and I thought you could use some handkerchief."

        Oh my god, am I still dreaming? I tried biting the insides of my cheeks to just check if all of this is real. 

 "I'm Kang Euigeon. You can call me Daniel."   

 

         I am not living in a dream anymore.

         THIS IS REAL