II. The Robotics of Romance (2/2)

The Ungodly Moments: Chekhov’s Gun

 

“How are you feeling?”

Totally startled by the voice, Jiyeon’s body jerks and sends one of her knees right to the edge of the reading desk. She is not expecting anyone to pay her a visit since it is shower time and everyone tends to mind their own business in their room if it is not their turn. Including Jiyeon, who hastily stops loading something from her chip.

 

But clearly, Luda is not following her usual schedule today. The girl with a tiny frame pokes her head into Jiyeon’s bedroom, hands grasping onto the handle of her toolbox and feet glued on the tiles that are just outside the door. Her cute left ear also peeks from her newly-dyed silver hair, telling Jiyeon that she is always listening. Not in a creepy way, of course.

A wearily Jiyeon welcomes her uninvited guest, not sure what brings the latter here. “Fine, I guess.”

Such reply is proven unsatisfactory when Luda’s frown becomes visible under her bangs. The girl raises the toolbox to her chest level, “You still haven’t had your check-up.”

“I thought I don’t need one?” Not having fully calculated all the feasible excuses and possible outcomes, Jiyeon panics and chooses probably the worst one. Malfunctioning it could be, but Jiyeon has a better answer for her impulsiveness.

 

“I saw it.” Luda’s soft tone somehow reminds of her sister’s. And she is never assertive. Luda is never the fiery red that grabs a hold of your eyes at first sight, but rather the silvery grey of a moonlit wave (much like her hair) that comforts you like a gentle hand.

“You saw what?” Jiyeon hates herself for always being so dodgy towards Luda. She did calculate the risk of not doing so though.

“The way you walk.” Luda places the heavy toolbox at her feet, eyes not leaving the faint teal light at the back of Jiyeon’s neck. “The chance of you sustaining no injury from the fight with Juyeon is too slim, and how you are walking slower than before just confirmed my suspicion. Let me run a check-up for your kinetic system.”

Ah, how could she forget? Luda, the patient one, is always there listening. Jiyeon, feeling like a stranded whale, fights the urge to shut herself down and lowers her head for Luda to do her work.

 

“Can you hold your hair for me please?” Jiyeon can literally hear Luda’s lips forming a small curve, and so she complies in no time. All of the sudden, she remembers what Joohyun told her at her fifteenth birthday. Wanting to look the best, act the best, be the best of yourself in front of a person. But fate is a funny thing. It just won’t let things go your way. You’ll become a fool, a loveable fool if that person is the one.

Being snapped out of her train of thoughts by a scorching sense of touch, the red-haired lets out a sharp gasp. Luda whispers a quick apology and dangles the wire over her patient’s head, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know it’d hurt you. Maybe you’ll do the honor instead?”

“It’s okay. It’s just……. I wasn’t prepared. You can go on.” Jiyeon won’t tell Luda it is not about the wire, she doesn’t know how to.

Luda hums as a reply and her fingers soon find their way to the connecting port on Jiyeon’s neck. As a mechanic who works with her hands all the time, Luda is never too fond of doing her nails and prefers them neat and clean. It could be an inborn gift or something artificially advanced, her hands and fingers are quite slender for someone her size. So, a remarkable mechanic Luda is.

 

Jiyeon finds it distracting, however. Luda is nice to everyone, not just her. Like, did she look at Juyeon the same way this afternoon? Did she care and pay little details about her wound the same way? Did her fingers follow the contours of her body the same way during the check-up? Jiyeon finds herself embarrassed nevertheless.

Luda, on the other hand, works as industrious as ever. Much to her delight, her initial diagnosis is a spot-on and a little tuning will do the job. There is still one thing that she probably can’t fix – the unreadable look on Jiyeon’s face, her heavy steps, her short replies. She knows Jiyeon is a tough one under the skin of a princess, but even the toughest blade cracks.

 

“Done.” The tiny mechanic gently unplugs the wire from Jiyeon’s neck, the unnatural heated skin there doesn’t go unnoticed. “And, hey, you sure you okay?”

Luda is never good with words, because they are too fleeting for her to handle. But she is trying her very best to get her message across.

 

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?

Your expression looks serious

Who bothered you today?

Talk to me if you’re having a hard time”

 

She really wants to fix Jiyeon, she really wants to see her toothy grin again. More than anything else.

 

 

-

 

 

 Juyeon, habitually, stops right at an ajar door on the way to her room from the shower. Drying her hair with a towel, she stares at the door handle not knowing why she even bothered to stop by. It’s not like she would have the guts to knock on her door or talk to her again, not even the bravest soul in this household.

Jiyeon did forgive her, yes. However, it doesn’t end there. Someone has been ignoring her. It empties Juyeon as if she had really lost the arm or someone has taken away her regulator. It is such a weird thing to say and Juyeon knows it too.

 

She knows the meaning behind that look when she was told to sit down on the sofa. Meiqi is disappointed at her. The analytical one had she let down and proven wrong. Both Jiyeon and Chengxiao, her best and closest friends, reassured her that no one would hold her responsible for being hacked. The youngest ones chose to give her space to recover, especially when her skin regeneration is taking longer than ever. Juyeon has nothing but gratefulness towards such kind and understanding gestures. But there is nothing from Meiqi, who just shuts her off as if she is another bug in the system.

Is there anything she could do to mend it? Could Luda help, like is it possible to restore someone’s faith in someone else?

Juyeon is brave, perhaps too brave that she has forgotten there is something that she fears as well. Her courage does not come from nowhere. Just like Xuanyi’s optimism, or Soobin’s joyfulness. There is a reason for everything, and even though Juyeon might not be smart enough to understand everything, she always tries.

 

“How long have you been standing here?” Dawon, whose room is right across Meiqi’s, happens to witness the weird sight of the usually hyperactive Juyeon idling on the same spot for at least five good minutes. As everyone acknowledges Luda’s efficiency and skills as their household mechanic, Dawon is pretty sure it is not because of any malfunctioned software or hardware.

“I didn’t count.” Throwing the damp towel onto her shoulder, a dispirited Juyeon turns on her heels, ready to accept her defeat and return to her room.

“You ain’t the type that gives up without trying.” Dawon eyes the younger in disbelief.

“What should I even say?” Juyeon can’t help but reaches to scratch the new skin on her arm. Man, it can be so itchy sometimes.

 

“What if she’s also trying? Like-” The clinking of Luda’s toolbox from a distance inopportunely interrupts Dawon. The duo pauses their conversation just to watch Luda pass them by. Whereas Luda shoots them a timid look as she heads towards Jiyeon’s room. The duo, again, exchange a look before Hyunjung gives them both a tap on the head.  

“Mind your own business, misses.”

Juyeon struggles to orchestrate a snarky comeback but Hyunjung has no intention to stop for a talk. Dawon, having the situation assessed, just shrugs, “Alright. I still haven’t showered yet. You too should go to take care of your own business now, Juyeon.”

 

Therefore, Juyeon is once again standing in front of a door by herself. But nothing could be worse than the cold shoulder she is getting right now. It’d be better if Meiqi would actually scold and tell her how much of a defect she is, still better than radio silence and that brittle look from her.

Juyeon has one fear and she needs to overcome it. And there she goes, a shaky hand knocking on the door.

“Come in.” Judging from the flatness of her voice, someone seems busy.

“It’s me.” Juyeon calls after steadying her breath.

 

And then, there is a long sigh.

“Just let yourself in. My hands are full.”

Cautiously, Juyeon pushes the door open and the dimness of the room makes her squint in reflex. It takes her a while for her regulator to adjust her visibility in this setting. Meanwhile, the owner of the room is perching in front of her many monitors and servers, her eyes glimmering with colorful lights.

“Got a minute?” Knowing that Meiqi must have been connected to somewhere else, Juyeon tries anyway.

 

“I’m just going through some codes I found from the lab’s old database.” Meiqi replies remaining in her original position but soon lets out a giggle as she continues, “I wouldn’t have asked you to come in if I don’t. By the way, how’s your arm?”

“Hm, yeah. It’s healing pretty well.” Juyeon makes sure she has closed the door behind her so that her ugly sobbing won’t be heard later. “I just wanna talk about…… You know, about what happened this afternoon-”

 

The shifting lights in her orbs fade back into dark mahogany as she pulls her chair away from the monitors, “I know you’ve tried, Juyeon. You always do.”

“I….. W-What?” Well, that is unexpected.

“The door’s open. I heard.” Her silvery giggles then turn into a good fit of laughter. Multitasking is kind of her forte, and she swears she did not mean to eavesdrop on them.

“Ugh, that’s embarrassing.” Juyeon starts flailing her long arms, trying to shake those tingling feelings off from her sensors for a second.

 

Both are glad that it just naturally becomes lighthearted as they talk. Juyeon, who is still scratching her arm behind Meiqi, breaks into a smile as well.

“Dawon’s right though.” Meiqi stands up and stretches her limbs after sitting still for the past hour. Her back aches but it is not what discomforts her the most. “I’m really trying. I don’t want to see the same thing happen to you, or anyone, again. Like, do you have any idea of how scary it was? And I couldn’t even do anything to stop or help you. I’m trying to not let that happen again. I’m sorry I was unaware of how bad you must have been feeling all this time and what I did just make it worse. Juyeon, I’m sorry.”

She did not realize how broken she has left her, she did not know what she needs the most is probably just a hug.

 

Juyeon is already a sobbing mess when Meiqi turns to check on her after the long silence.

 

  

-

 

 

“I saw it from on TV

They said when someone is sad, hug them

It’s like a lie, it’s like a joke

But maybe that is the truth”

 

“Chu Sojung. We need to talk.” Unlike the younger ones, Hyunjung does things in the utmost direct way and hurries to deal with her own urgent stuff.

Sojung, despite not being the eldest, is seen as the leader figure which Hyunjung doesn’t mind at all. What Hyunjung really minds is how Sojung has gotten too used to her role and too used to help others instead of herself. Self-help is a tough thing to do. Hyunjung understands but it doesn’t mean she’s just going to let Sojung drown herself with all those emotions and problems.

There are a lot of things in the world that cannot be processed or calculated. Hyunjung has seen many things and she knows they are not merely robots after all. It doesn’t change the fact that they have always been humane. Hyunjung thinks it matters a lot when all of them had joined the program voluntarily. They have made it because they have a kind soul, they always have.

 

Opening the door with a swing, Sojung greets her dear comrade with a faint smile, “Howdy?”

Hyunjung catches a glimpse of the room and an eyebrow at how messy it has become, “Can I come in?”

“Yep, sure.” The shorter-haired chirps as she steps asides for Hyunjung to make her entrance in her personal haven.

None of them talk once they are both standing in the middle of Sojung’s room. Hyunjung watches Sojung folding her arms across her chest as if she is hugging herself while Sojung is just looking back at her.

 

Sojung is such a precious being. Hyunjung cried the whole night when Sojung first told them why she enrolled herself into the experiment. She didn’t do it because she was aspired to save humankind, she didn’t do it because she considered herself the best candidate for the task – Sojung did it because her family back in their hometown needed the money. That was a handsome sum of money, Hyunjung has to admit. Sojung always puts her loved ones and the others first before herself.

“What did Soobin tell you this time?” Obviously having foreseen how Hyunjung would confront her and push all the right buttons until she gives in, Sojung becomes defensive this time.

The other girl simply rolls her eyes, “Leave Soobin out of this conversation. She wasn’t even there when you were behaving all weird. And won’t you even invite me to sit down?”

“Uh, fine.” Sojung grumbles and clears a section of her bed by swiping the items there onto the floor. “There, place your there as you wish. And wait, when was I behaving ‘weird’?”

 

“You know why I disagreed to tell the kids about it in the first place.” Hyunjung therefore sits on the bed surrounded by piles of clothes and whatnot, but lowers her voice before she could carry on. “I’m talking about the test reports. But now, with what happened today, I don’t think it’s right to keep it away from them.”

Sojung’s face drops at the mention of test reports, “We’ve talked about this when the girls were all busy rebooting Jiyeon and Juyeon. Even you don’t really fully understand what the test reports are about, how are we supposed to explain to them?”

 

“I was wrong.” Fiddling with the hoodie Sojung likes to wear so much that there is a hole on the underarm of the right sleeve, Hyunjung quietly admits. “The girls deserve to know. Someday Chengxiao, Yeonjung or Meiqi is going to find out and you know it too. We should just come clean and let them help us. You saw how they managed to hack us and we need everyone, we need to do this as a group…… As a family.”

The leader engulfs herself in another round of silence. Hyunjung hates to do this to her but she is doing this for the sake of Sojung, not just for the greater good. Sojung has to know that she has somewhere to turn to as well. And she knows Sojung hates lying to the girls too. How torn she must be. The same Sojung who loves everyone more than herself.

“Sojung, I’m here.” And finally, Hyunjung reaches out to the girl who has her head hung low. “Just come here.”

 

 

-

 

 

“I can’t tell if I’m still okay.”

Jiyeon lets down her hair and it flows down her shoulders like a dark ruby waterfall.

 

Luda rubs her hands on the rim of her shirt and paces to Jiyeon’s front, recalling what the procedure should be, “Well, I’m here now.”

“And your point is…….?” Jiyeon’s eyes curiously follow Luda’s cute antics.

The mechanic gets flustered as Jiyeon doesn’t seem to play along well, “You know, I’ll fix you! L-Like I’m not saying you are broken or flawed in design or anything…… You know! I want to fix you!”

It makes Jiyeon’s smile freeze for a second, “You do?”

 

Luda nods not once but twice, “I do.”

“And how are you going to fix me?” Jiyeon smiles again but it doesn’t reach her eyes like it usually does.

It does sound like a cue for Luda, who has done her research before coming. Having read through every instruction there could be, Luda is sure it has come down to the step where you should tell them meaningful, deep sentences in order to achieve the effects of comfort and assurance.

“Even stars and diamonds are formed from dirt. You are never too trivial to achieve things! Just believe in yourself!”

 

Jiyeon only blinks before breaking into laughter, “What is that supposed to mean? Are you calling me dirt?”

“No! I’m saying that you are important!” The tiny girl reasons. At least she is seeing Jiyeon’s signature grin again.

“Okay, where did you learn that from?” The red-haired looks up and catches on Luda’s glistening eyes where all the real stars are hidden.

“That old search engine people used, Google?” Luda is happy with the progress so far. “So, are you feeling better already?”

 

“What’s up with you today?” Jiyeon looks away, not trying to read too deep into Luda’s action just now.

“Oh no,” Having sensed (but not understood) the change of mood, Luda begins to sulk. “You're still upset. You're still angry with yourself for almost ripping Juyeon’s arm off, aren’t you?”

“Maybe.” Dodgy.

“None of that is your fault!” But unknown to Jiyeon, Luda is not backing down today.

 

“I find myself scary, okay?” Jiyeon buries her face into her palms, wanting to scream all the confusing signals out of her head. She can’t get rid of the horrid image of Juyeon’s arm and the terrified faces of the others. She feels disgusted whenever she looks at her hands. She could have easily killed the people she loves and cares the most if that ever happens again.

Luda takes a minute to absorb all the new information, “You aren’t scary to me.”

 

Soon Jiyeon is wrapped up in a warm embrace. Luda has those online instructions thrown away and moves onto the last resort.

 

“So, come here

Don’t pull away

Just hug me like you have to

It’ll make you feel better”

 

They say a hug could fix anything. Although Luda would normally doubt that as a well-trained mechanic, she would also try anything just to fix Jiyeon. And right now, this cocoon of warmth has made Luda start to believe that it is never the receptors but the heart. Jiyeon has a weird influence over her heart, not her receptors.

“I don’t know if it really boosts your oxytocin levels, or serotonin levels to elevate your mood,” Luda is glad that Jiyeon is sitting instead so she can pat her head easily. “And I have nothing smart or profound to say really. But I can always listen.”

 

Jiyeon, on the other hand, is also glad that Luda is standing so she can listen to her beating heart for once, “Did you do this to Juyeon too?”

“Why would I?” Luda pulls away a little in protest.

“Because you wanted to fix her too?” But Jiyeon’s hold is stronger.

Luda stares at the crown of Jiyeon’s head, “It’s different. You’re different!”

 

It is Jiyeon’s turn to pull away as she wants to take a good look at her face, “Lee Luda, it’s not something to say so casually to your friends!”

“I didn’t do it casually.” Luda frowns, not liking how the hug ends up. Why is Jiyeon picking a fight with her still? Where did it go wrong? Did Jiyeon not like her telling her that she is different? Is it because Jiyeon never likes being close to her? Luda is not sure but it must be what a heartbreak feels like. When you put all your energy into something but it just drains you and leaves you weary in the end. Such an indulgence of power consumption, to love someone like that.

The mechanic has been a person of few words and Jiyeon decides to stop guessing, “Luda, what if I tell you this hug has made me very happy because you are someone special to me?”

Luda immediately beams, shaking Jiyeon’s shoulders while hopping in glee, “I’d be very happy too!”

 

Jiyeon places her hands on Luda’s and stops the latter from celebrating, “Do you know what does this even mean?”

“We are each other’s special person!” Luda grins as joy keeps oozing from her little heart knowing that she has made Jiyeon happy again.

She lets out a sigh that she can no longer hold back, “People don’t just say that unless they are more than friends, you know.”

“You are more than a friend to me.” Explains Luda with a serious expression that can only be seen whenever she forgets where she puts a tool at. “I don’t know how to put it and based on my research love is such an overused holophrase. But I do want you to be happy more than anyone else and even myself, I do want to see you smile every day and it’ll make me the happiest if it is for me. I couldn’t focus when you were obviously down because my primary task is to make sure you are okay. Now, do you know what I have been trying to say, Jiyeon?”

 

Luda almost crashes her own program when Jiyeon tears up at the end of her long speech, which is possibly a personal record where she has spoken the most words in such a short span of time. How someone is smiling and crying at the same time shouldn’t be normal.

But then, Jiyeon bolts up from the chair and gives Luda the biggest hug ever, “You jerk, what took you so long?”

 

 

-

 

 

“Don’t come any closer!”

Juyeon shouts as she has one hand covering her face and another frantically searching for the tissue box.

“I mean, don’t look at me! I’m ugly!”

 

Meiqi can only laugh, “Do you seriously think I’ve never seen you cry in all these years?”

“Stop it! I’m feeling really vulnerable right now.” The sobbing girl sniffs, her whole face tainted with blush. Juyeon, the girl with great strength but the softest heart. It is totally unfair because Meiqi knows her too well.

“Seriously,” She inches closer as she is too busy drying her tears. “I’m sorry. Would you forgive me?”

“I guess,” Juyeon pulls her face away from the balls of tissues in her hands. “Wait, stop! It’s embarrassing!”

 

Or maybe she doesn’t really mean it. Although Juyeon would crumble into little pieces at Meiqi’s feet if Meiqi holds her close and tells her that everything is okay, Juyeon would be happy little pieces for sure.

As if Meiqi has connected to Juyeon’s brain and read her mind, she already has her arms spread out, “You dork, I’m here now. Just let me hold you for a second.”

 

“You know, come here, I’ll give you a hug

Don’t be shy, it makes you look like a fool”

 

It makes her giggle harder as Juyeon snuggles closer.

They say a hug brings two hearts the closest.

Meiqi doesn’t care if this is ever “the real Juyeon”. Before or after, there is no difference in how wonderful Juyeon is. Because the Juyeon she knows and comes to adore more than anything else, is the Juyeon who always knows what to say and what not to say, the Juyeon who always stays not too close but never too far, the Juyeon who wears sunlight like a dress.

She doesn’t care if they won’t last. Even the universe has a time. But a piece of happiness has found her and she would never let it go.

 

“Can we stay like this for a while?” Seemingly having cried all her tears out, Juyeon nasally mutters on Meiqi’s shoulder. She just wants to take this moment in as much as she can, perhaps downloading and saving it onto her chip if possible.

She has been pushing and running forward for so long now. And how lucky one has to be just to have someone waiting for you with a pair of open arms.

“Of course, Juyeon. Of course.” Like, do you even have a heart if you ever say no to that face?

 

She just nuzzles her shoulder with her cheek, “Hm, how about forever?”

Meiqi is surprised to hear Juyeon sniggering so soon, “Hm, it’ll be awfully impractical.”

Juyeon backs away just enough to look at the confused one with bright eyes, “I’m not talking about the hug.”

 

 

-

 

 

Hyunjung smiles to herself as Sojung walks into her arms like a little girl to her favorite plushie. It comes to her mind that she might be a bad person after all for feeling happy when Sojung is apparently still sad. But Sojung is willing to let her guard for once in front of her, she just can’t help smiling like a fool.

Sojung has surely matured a lot since day one and grown well into her role as the leader of their pack but in Hyunjung’s eyes, there is always that coy young girl in her shadow.

 

“Just for 15 seconds

Stay like this

Just pretend like you are fooled

And trust me once”

 

They say a hug teaches people how to give and take.

Hyunjung just wants to let Sojung realize that it would never too much to take a little something from them after all the giving she has done. Let it be a break, a full-course dinner of her hometown food that is the main reason of her homesickness, or even a massage session from the youngest ones who never fail to act like a headache in the household.

Or something like this. This equal value in receiving and being receptive to warmth. Hyunjung would do what she can, just like this hug.

 

“Better?” Hyunjung, being the slightly immature one at times, starts rocking their bodies to a tempo that she heard from somewhere before.

Sojung, however, doesn’t break away from the strange dance they seem to be doing, “Better.”

“Next time just come to me. Don’t you ever try to keep it all to yourself again.”

“Like you’ll give me a hug again?” Sojung asks in hopes of Hyunjung telling her that she would always be there to hold her and share her warmth. For she has found a moment of peace in her arms finally. She won’t admit that she actually enjoys being called the parents along with Hyunjung. She won’t tell anyone that she becomes a tad bit jealous of how Hyunjung could be so touchy feely with Soobin sometimes and not the others. She won’t let Hyunjung know that she has always wished for a moment like this.

 

And so, the girl with raven hair gives her answer, “Chu Sojung. If I can make you stop calculating and start believing, I would. You still got a heart, right? A heart is to dream. You can’t make things happen if you don’t dream and believe.”

Sojung stays silent for a while and chuckles, “That’s the deepest thing that I’ve ever heard from you.”

“Hey, I’m always poetic.” Hyunjung huffs, threatening to break the hug.

“And I…… Thank you.” Sojung is faster to hold her in place though. “I love it.”

 

 

-

 

 

“So, we have to find this test subject before anyone else?” Yeoreum who is munching her cereal looks around the dining table. It is not unusual for the group to have a briefing session during breakfast time.

Yeonjung puts down her half-eaten apple just to confirm what she just heard, “And by anyone else, you mean literally anyone?”

 

“Well, like the guards, the Spectres,” Xuanyi counts as Chengxiao on her left side-eyes her just in case she messes up. “And people from the Noah’s Ark.”

“Ah, our old friends.” Dayoung cheers in a mocking tone.

Dawon adds after taking another carton of milk out from the fridge, “Unfortunately, most of our memory about the lab’s personnel has been taken away during the implantation. Or else, we could really use some help from our ‘old friends’.”

 

“Why should we even bother to find this subject though?” Juyeon tries to help Meiqi wash some of the dishes but her hands are promptly smacked away.

“Excuse me, your arm still hasn’t fully healed.” Meiqi shoots her a glare and points at a patch of uncovered metallic part on her arm with her jaw. “Anyway, why would they want that test subject so much? It’s not like people, including us, can reach Base Seoul easily.”

“It’s really best for you to stay away from water until the skin is fully regenerated.” Luda smiles. “We are all basically waterproof but it’d still affect the growth of your skin.”

Jiyeon just steals a strip of bacon from Luda’s plate since the mechanic isn’t looking, “If we can find and partner up with The Noah’s Ark, reaching Base Seoul won’t be a problem. They’ll need us when The Order comes. It’s not like The Judge will spare them from that.”

 

“Look. This test subject is particularly important to us because she is artificially altered in a different way than us.” Sojung stops to seek a nod of approval from Hyunjung. “If what they did to us is physical, I believe what they did to her is mental. In short, we are most likely two types of the same grand experiment.”

Hyunjung tries her best to put it in a less scary way, “The point is, if we have to live through The Order we need this test subject. She is the piece of the puzzle we need.”

“What about the Spectres?” Chengxiao happens to raise the right question. “They are just some rebels, pro-hackers at best. What are they going to do with the test subject if they get her?”

Soobin shakes her head, wiggling her index finger, “The Spectres will be the first one to strike the guards when The Order comes. And they will succeed, no doubt. It’s true that they might not stand on the same side with us, but an enemy’s enemy is a friend indeed.”

“It’s true.” Dawon nods. “The Spectres have eyes everywhere.”

So does Meiqi, “They are great undercovers too. I can show you some of their great works if you want.”

 

“Do we have to fight them then?” Juyeon raises her hand like a kid in primary school.

“One more friend is better than one more enemy.” Sojung covers her balled up fist with her palm and smiles as she lowers it back down on the table. “I’m sure they are already aware of our existence one way or another. We’ll reach out to them and send them a friendly invitation perhaps.”

“Aye, sounds like a lot of work to be done.” Yeonjung sprawls out on her chair.

“You guys have been waiting for it, no?” Xuanyi opens a pack of seaweed, smirking. “Let’s put an end to this and we shall see all our families again.”

 

Family. A word that used to take away their smiles.

Sojung is worried but the determined looks on their faces tell her otherwise. Hyunjung is right, they got everything they ever need right now. Purpose, dream, belief, faith, love, trust……. whatever you name it.

So yes, they would be just fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


(Song: WJSN - Hug U. Oh my god, my biggest uwu goes to this song.)

Here is the long overdue second half of the backstory of WJSN's characters in "The Ungodly Moments" series! And apologies for any typos since it's getting late here, I'll come back and edit them asap.

As you might have already noticed, the test reports they mentioned here is the one attached in the main story's special chapter, "Folie à deux". Both WJSN/The Witkin's Specimens and the reports are keys to understand more about the whole story!

Anyway, I hope the pairings here aren't too disappointing. 

Hope it has been a good read to you all. Comment down below if you want!

See you around.