University Sweetheart

Expression

“Unnie-ya!”

The gush of the summer wind greeted the premises of an educational institution. And for a girl sitting by a kiosk, she looked up because of it, only to face her classmate sitting adjacently to her. The said girl sighed as she places her book down. “What is it now, Sejeong?”

“Aw, come on, Nayoung-unnie.” Sejeong pouted. “My latest dib for you is bigger.”

“Let me guess.” Nayoung points at her. “It’s a bigger news of your crush.”

The Ahjusshi girl squealed madly as Nayoung sighed and recalled all of her news relating to one thing.

Sejeong’s crush.

Nayoung heard of it from her not long ago but the news kept going and that was almost all they talk about almost all the time. Sejeong would express that her crush was a beautiful girl that had a suave voice. She said that she maintained the silent infatuation towards that woman but not anymore.

That silence broke free. Who knew Nayoung had to become the pillar of that infatuation?

“You’ve been telling me that for the past three days, Sejeong. Just who is this girl?” Nayoung started to ask. “Who is she that you’re so into her? How does she look? Is she at the same level as you? Seriously, Sejeong. I’m curious now.”

The bell had to disrupt their talk as Sejeong had to go for first class. Nayoung has hers by noon so she had the vacant time. By that, she resumed her reading.

We like each other yet we don’t express it.

It was a part of her book which made her stop again. She wondered and the pound on her chest didn’t help her.

“How stupid…” Nayoung chuckled to herself.

+++

It was lunch-break and Sejeong could be envious of two classmates in front of her, feeding each other.

“Okay. Break.” Sejeong places her chopsticks between their faces.

“Try again and I’ll break them.” The taller one spat.

“Sojin, please be nice.” The Chinese one spoke.

“Thanks, Sally.” Sejeong sighed in relief.

Sally and Soyee have the same age and level yet they were opposites. If there was a witness to the quote that opposites attract, the couple would be it. And Sejeong could choke herself for being the third wheel.

“Jealous much, Sejeong?” Soyee asked.

“You could say that.” Sejeong answered.

“You said you had a crush and you even planned to make a move.” Soyee said again as she looked around. “Where’s the girl now?”

“Jang Sojin.” Sally spoke and Soyee became an obedient dog.

“I could thank you all the time, Sally.” Sejeong said. “Anyways, I tried but I guess I won’t be able to…not now, not ever.”

“Why?” Sally asked.

“If I express it, it’ll grow distant.” Sejeong chuckled. “Losing her would be unthinkable.”

“But then, time will come that those feelings will go boom.” Soyee spoke, making an explosion sound. “Not that we can force you to just keep your feelings but they’ll eventually release themselves.”

“That’s the first good thing you said to me today.” Sejeong said.

“Very funny, Sejeong.” Soyee chuckled.

“Anyways…” Sally intervened. “…whatever happens, Sojin and I will be here for you.”

“Such words, Liu Xiening.” Sejeong spoke, shocked. “Thanks.”

She excused herself and walked around, all the while she pondered of the feelings she had and the advice her friends said a while ago. It tore her mind in two ways.

Her mind wanted isolation yet her heart wanted confrontation. But she sees her right there.

“Sejeong.” The girl called. Sejeong waved and drew closer to the woman. “Hey.”

“Are you busy?” The woman asked. “Do you want to hang out today?”

Sejeong shook her head. “Rain check. I have homework to do. Now if you’ll excuse me.”

The woman could only nod as Sejeong went on, heading home. As she walked, Sejeong sighed.

It had to be done. It was better that way.

+++

The gush of the summer wind greeted the premises of an educational institution. And for a girl sitting by a kiosk, she looked up because of it, only to face an empty classroom.

Sejeong never thought classes were over. She never even thought she was alone but something in her made her stand up and run outside. Her feet were leading her nowhere but her eyes became her guide as she looked around from the green grass up the field to the sea of people by the exit.

Eventually, a sudden impact meets her and she meets her crush again.

“Are you okay, Sejeong?” The woman got up to help her.

“Yeah…” Sejeong nodded as she got up. “I…I have something to tell you.”

“Me too.” She answered back.

Sejeong gulped as she nodded. “Should we take this somewhere?”

The woman nodded and she and Sejeong walked, heading towards a nice spot where a nice tree grew. Sejeong got close to it, watching the green leaves as the rays of the sun kissed them.

Sejeong could smile, especially towards the woman beside her. Sejeong thought she smiled so lovingly as she looked up. But then, the woman noticed and things got awkward. Sejeong lowered her head, keeping a chuckle.

“You’re really here…”

“Why? Am I not allowed to? You dragged me here.” The woman chuckled. “And that you have something to tell me…”

“Yes…I do…” Sejeong said as she faced her.

Sejeong lowered her head again as her feet fiddled. Her hands were fidgeting as it took her minutes to get her composure straight. Nonetheless, she managed to face her.

“I…” Sejeong began. “I-“

“Like you.”

Sejeong was frozen. “W-What did you-“

“Like you.” The woman smiled. “I like you.”

Sejeong’s face heated up. Then, she huffed. “Why did you have to waltz in and say it before I did?”

Sejeong realized what she said and covered . She looked away when she was held into place. She was then faced back, meeting the woman’s eyes.

“I should’ve known.” The woman said. “I should’ve told you by the time we were at the kiosk.”

“Yah, Nayoung-unnie…” Sejeong blushed.

“What?” Nayoung asked.

Sejeong slapped her shoulder then hugged her. Nayoung chuckled and hugged Sejeong back.

We like each other yet we don’t express it.

Nayoung and Sejeong scratch that off and have hurdled themselves off of it. Now, they start another phase of life bot as friends but as each other’s one and only.