Roommate

Somewhere along the way

AN: This would be two chapters only. Then I'll be updating my other story. BTW, I'm glad Jihyo's been working hard lately. With all her projects and guesting, I'm one happy fangirl. 

PS: I'm sad that Lee Dong Wook and Song Ji Hyo can't happen, but I wish they're still friends. I'm glad for Dong Wook for having a relationship. Now I'm rooting for Jihyo to at least have a boyfriend. But it's okay if she's happy being single. GAAH. What am I rambling about. Enjoy CHAPTER 1 guys! tell me your thoughts. Love lots!

“I found a house.”  Jihyo said as soon as she answered her mother’s call.

“I told you, you don’t have to do this.” Her mother laughs.

“Umma.” She whined.

“You’re serious.” It wasn’t a question. She knows when her daughter becomes dead serious about something.

“We had a deal.” Jihyo hesitated, “If you don’t want me to continue, just say it, and I won’t move out.”

“Fine.” Her mother interrupts. “I’ll give you your freedom, in exchange, you would have to report to the company first thing in the morning tomorrow, arachi?”

“That was the deal.” Jihyo hanged up without saying goodbye.

She’s feeling a little guilty about this. It wasn’t like she was trapped living in that big house, but she just felt like something was missing, and she had to find it on her own.

Jihyo is proud of her mom. That’s a fact.

Her father died when Jihyo was just a toddler, and her mother was left to fend on her own to make a living for the both of them. Despite the hardship of being a single parent, she made a name in the fashion industry. As a result, not a single soul in the industry doesn’t know her name.

And so, they had big expectations from the heiress of the fashion conglomerate her mother made.

Even so, her mother never pressured her to follow her footsteps and tried to shield her away from the company and media. But she knows deep in her heart, that her mother wants her only daughter to know their business. That was why she wanted to learn everything from the basics and severe ties from her mother as she learns everything. This way, she will be away from the prying eyes of the shareholders and learn if she really is cut out for this life.

***

Jo In Sung needed a place to stay. He doesn’t know why his family, especially his hyung would do this to him.

Admittedly, he embarrassed the family in one of the family events when two to three actresses went up to him and made a scene, forever branding his name as a womanizer. He’s sure all men went through that phase so why would his hyung make his life difficult for something like that, He should be proud-not ashamed.

Well, he thinks, it definitely is a scandal for the heir of a broadcasting company to be out and about with different actresses, idols and heiress. But who could blame him? He should be living the life.

But now, he’s searching the net for postings of a place to live in. His perfect older brother made sure to freeze his accounts, forcing him to work at the company for a living.

He sighed. He only have a week to move out. Room for rent. Wait, this house looks big.

***

The house is even more perfect than he thought. It’s more spacious than the photos, and near the company.

He rang the doorbell, and was shocked to see a young woman, around his age. She was wearing a thick rimmed glasses, that covers most of her eyes, a large sweatshirt and a baggy sweatpants. Basically, almost all of her was covered by something. Not his type.

He realized he may looked like he was checking her out, as she cleared irritated.

At that, he was alarmed that she may not accept him as her roommate, he’s a guy after all. However, he was surprised when she nonchalantly asked, “Are you the one interested in renting the room?”

“Ah-ah de.” He answered, then nodded furiously.

“Okay, follow me.” She said, opening the door further to welcome him. “I haven’t really bought anything much yet, so feel free to tell me if something is lacking.”

The front door opens into a simple dining room/breakfast nook, the kitchen has a lot cooking space with an attached pantry, and the sunken living room is absolutely huge. The bedrooms are just beside the living room, and the woman went to the left door to open it for him. “This would be your room, if ever.”

He went inside and examined the room. It was slightly smaller than his room, but aside from that, it was perfect.

“So, would you take it or not?” She suddenly asked.

“Yes. How would you like to arrange the payment for the room?” He inquired.

She looked taken aback by the question as if she hadn’t really thought about it. “I don’t know, just pay me the rent monthly.”

Doesn’t she need the money? “Don’t you want a month’s worth advance?”

“I haven’t thought about that.” She said honestly, “I just thought the room would be a waste, so I decided to rent it out.”

“O-kay,” he opened his wallet and handed over the check he made earlier. “Is this okay?”

“Sure, any more questions?” She reached over and looked at the check. He was expecting to see a shocked face once she learns of his name or once she saw the amount, but she just went and folded the paper. Huh.

“What’s your name?”

“Jihyo.” She told him and reached up to shake his hand.

“Do you mind that I’m a guy?”

“No. Why should I?”

She’s really curt with her responses, as if he’s wasting her time.

“Any house rules?”

“None at all.” Then she looked at him from head to toe, “Just- don’t have in this house, bring them somewhere else. Or I’ll throw your things outside” Oh-ho he liked her attitude.

He brought a hand to his chest, acting hurt. “Ouch. Do you think I’m like that?”

“I know it.” She said, before turning to leave him. She suddenly threw a set of keys to him.

Albeit surprised, he caught it of course.  “Isn’t it fair, if I also give you a rule?” he called out to her.

She turned around and raised a brow.

“Don’t fall in love with me.”

She only scowled at him, before turning her back at him.

“You wish.” He heard. He can’t help but laugh at that. “I’m In Sung, by the way!” He’s sure he’ll enjoy living on his own.

***

Jihyo was surprised at how their schedules conflict each other. She goes to work before the morning breaks and gets back home before sun sets, while he goes to work at around that time and goes back home in the late hours of the night.

They basically miss each other at home. So, she bought a whiteboard for them to exchange important messages, if ever. She also wrote her number in case of emergency.

The next time they saw each other was on the weekend, and they both had a day-off.

“Hey.” She greeted, while she stirred a cup of coffee. “You want some?”

“Hey, yes. I’d like some.” He approached her at the breakfast nook, looking life depraved him of morning coffee.

She laughed, “You look so tired.”

Maybe, it was because they haven’t seen each other since moving in, or maybe it’s because it’s the first time he saw her without her glasses, or the first time he saw her laugh, but he thinks she’s just a little prettier without her glasses, and with that smile.

She cleared , realizing how she just dropped the formalities. “I’m sorry, I was a when we first met. That time, I just got back from my first day of work. It was hell.”

He laughed brightly, “Were you a ? I dunno, I’ve known people ier than you were.”

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment.” She said as she placed a cup of coffee in front of him.

He smiled, “Take it. I’m in the entertainment industry.”

“Ahh, agreed.”

“Anyways, let’s start over. I’m Jihyo.” She offered.

“Jo In Sung,” he smiled back.

***

It became a tradition after that. The two of them would exchange conversation on the weekends over coffee. Sometimes it was at home, sometimes outside. Nonetheless, it became a coffee tradition.

Their first roommate fight happened on a Friday afternoon. Jihyo wasn’t feeling good at all in the morning so she slept in and called in sick.

She heard him knocking heatedly at her door, and then he came crashing into her room. “Wake up, Jihyo.”

“What the hell?” She grumbled, “Get the hell out of my room.” She pulled her comforter over her head, very much aware that all she’s wearing was an oversized shirt and her .

“You have to move your car, I’m late for my meeting.”

“Just take a taxi, damn it.” Irritated, she shouted at him.

“What? No. I need my car, I have to meet my family today.” He grabs the comforter, and pulls back to force her out.

“JO-IN-SUNG!” Jihyo’s cheeks flamed at the thought of him seeing her half-, but she climbs out of bed and crosses the room to get her car keys. “Just take my car and get out!” She threw the keys at him.

Surprised to see her half-, the keys hit him hard at his chest. “Why are still standing there”, she hit his head hard, and pushed him to the door.

Dumbfounded at what just happened, it took him a while to gather his thoughts. He then ran to the garage when he remembered he’s late.

The next day, Jihyo was waiting for him in the living room with two cups of coffee at hand. “I’m sorry, does your head hurt?”

“It’s fine,” he replied, dropping unto the couch next to her.

“So we’re okay, right?”

“Yeah” he agreed, “But I’m not sorry for seeing you half-.” He smirked mischievously.

“In Sung!”

“What? I’m just saying, if you have the body, flaunt it.”

He shouldn’t have said that, if he knew how hard she punches “YA!”

***

“Hey dude, have you lost your game?” Joongki said one evening while drinking out.

“What?” He asked, confused.

“I mean, you haven’t been out lately. Since that whole scandal, you haven’t been seen with a chick. Don’t tell me, your brother’s ultimatum got you scared.”

“Of course not. I’ve just been more careful than before. Y’know he already froze my account. Maybe next time, he’ll convince our parents to actually take me out from the company.” He explained, “Besides, I don’t want to be caught in any relationships anymore.” He said before drinking from his bottle. “It’s messy.”

“So where are you staying at?” Joongki asked curiously.

He grinned, “I won’t tell.”

He was drunk as hell, and he realized it too late that he’s supposed to be driving himself home. He also forgot to bring an extra bill for him to grab a taxi. Before he knows it, he was dialing Jihyo’s number.

“Yeoboseyo?”

She sounded surprise when she first heard his voice. He feels like a jerk for calling her in the middle of the night, but he doesn’t have any other option. But it sounded like she wasn’t sleeping yet either. It was noisy at her end.

“I know I’m an , but can you pick me up?”

He can hear her moving around, until she finally arrived at a quieter place. “Hey I didn’t catch you a while ago, what was it again?”

He told her the favor again, “Give me twenty minutes.”

“Thanks Jihyo, you’re the best.” He sputtered out, before waiting for her at a bench near the road. He was already drifting away in his dreams, when he felt someone moving him. It was Jihyo. He doesn’t know if it’s just the alcohol, or if she’s really in a tight-fitting dress right now.

“Hey, you’re looking good.” He spouted blurrily.

“I told you, I have an important event from our company.  But you had to choose tonight of all nights to ask for a favor.”

He pouted, “I’m sorry.”

“Ha. Don’t act cute. You owe me.”

He smiled dopily, “Sure, should I take your dress off later? I’m really good in bed.” He suggested, raising his eyebrows.

She smirked, “Maybe if you’re not drunk, I would’ve let you.”

“Not fair!” he pouted again, as she laughed.

***

“Why did you leave so early yesterday? I was about to introduce you as my daughter.” Her mother questioned her the next morning.

“Isn’t it too soon for that? I only worked for 6 months.” Jihyo argued.

“Six months, but you already got your designs out. Without my help, if I may add.” Her mother flopped down the sofa comfortably. “Besides, I saw the look of your co-workers. Are they giving you a hard time?”

“I don’t care about them, I’m there to work, and learn for you.” Jihyo told her, sitting beside her.

“Awww, this girl can be so sweet sometimes.” Her mother exclaimed, as she trapped her daughter in a tight embrace, and began to tickle her.

“Ya, ya, ya! This ajumma, jinjja!”

Her mother finally stopped tickling her, but she’s still caught up in her embrace, “I just miss you, that’s all. I want to introduce you as my heir, so you can go back home sooner.”

“I know.”

That was when In Sung came out from his room, in nothing but his shorts.

“Jihyo, Thanks for leaving that glass of water and advil near my nightstand.” He was rubbing his head to get rid off his headache, when he realized there were three people in the house.

“YA! go get a shirt!” Jihyo quickly threw a pillow at him for cover.

In Sung bowed his head in greeting and in shame, before entering his room.

“Now, now Jihyo, Is this why you won’t come back to our house?” Her mother teased. “Does he make your bed warm at night?”

She covered her ears, “Eomma! It’s not like that.”

“Anyway, I approve. He’s got good body. Just like your Appa.”

“Eomma, that’s it. Get out.” She stood up and tried to pull her out of her house.

***

It was funny how they never knew each other’s work. Until several months after living together.

Her mother decided to introduce her. She insisted it was the right time, since her designs were to be made public the same night. Jihyo finally agreed, with the condition, that she still stay on her own.

It was a grand night. All of the elites were present. The ladies came for the unraveling of the September collection while the bachelors went to attend for the unraveling of the company’s heiress.

KTBC broadcasting were granted the full coverage of the event.

Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. Tonight is a special night for our company, as tonight marks a new era for the Song Fashion Line SFL. As you all know, we will reveal the September fashion, and the heiress of SFL tonight. Without further ado, the SFL September collection.

The lights went out as the fashion stage comes to life. Numerous models paraded the designs of Jihyo. Fashionistas were delighted to see the simple but chic design of Jihyo, noting that whilst it was fashionable, it still looked comfortable.

As the fashion show drew near, Song Gwi-Ja came back to stage to introduce the designer.

As I’ve said earlier, tonight is close to my heart. The designer of the show is someone very dear to me.

Murmurs erupted the grand hall.

The designer goes by the name of Jihyo. But what you all don’t know is that her last name’s the same as mine. Everyone, please welcome to the stage, the designer, my very own daughter, Song Ji Hyo!

Applauds fill the room as Song Ji Hyo entered the stage. She definitely earned respect for her designs, and it seems the fashion world accepted her with open arms.

“I swear In Sung, if the SFL takes this as an insult. I will tell abeoji-“

“Dears, where have you been? The Songs just went down the stage.” Mrs. Jo approached them.

“In Sung here, came late in our meeting, so the meeting finished late.” Jo Ji Ho told their mother.

“Never mind that, let’s greet the Song now.” Mrs. Jo grabbed the two, “your father is already greeting them.

“Thank you for having KTBC cover one of your company’s important event.”

“Mr. Jo, it’s no big deal. Besides, I know one of your sons. I’m sure my daughter here would love to see him.”

“Ahh, you must be talking about Jo Ji Ho.”

Confused, Song Ji Hyo looked at her mother strangely.

Yeobo

“Yeobo, quite the timing. Ms. Song Gwi Ja, told me that she knew Jo Ji Ho.”

“Oh no, I meant the other son, Jo In Sung.” Song Ji Hyo’s ears perked at the name.

Jo In Sung was lagging behind his hyung, when four set of eyes found their way to his, finding two familiar set of eyes fixed at him.

Song Gwi Ja smiled mischievously at the look of shock faces.

“Ji Hyo?”

“In Sung?”

“You two know each other?” Mrs. Jo Min Hee inquired.

Breaking their glance, Ji Hyo bowed politely, “Yes Ma’am.”

“You look beautiful tonight Ji Hyo.” In Sung muttered, as if in a trance.

In Sung’s father was surprised the Songs know of his other son. He was sure it was Jo Ji Ho who had all connections to other companies, and never his second son.

“It seems the two of them were living together.”

“What?” “WHAT?” “Eh”

In Sung gulped at the shock of his family.

“EOMMA!” Jihyo blushed.

He thinks it was a rare sight to see her like this. Jihyo wasn’t the type of girl to be easily embarrassed, but seeing her like this, he can’t help but smile, and laugh softly at her. With In Sung unaware, the Jo Family witnessed the change in his relaxed demeanor.

“It’s not true-well it is, but I swear, it’s not like that.” Jihyo quickly rambled.

“Oh but it is.” Jo In Sung, wanted to embarrass her further, so he went up to her side and kissed her cheek, and wrapped an arm around her while she’s flustered.

“YA, don’t tell lies. WE’RE FRIENDS, we’re just friends living under one roof, jinjja.” She frantically explained.

“There, there jagi. They won’t believe you.”

The families laughed.

***

Once they returned home, Jihyo stared back at him, pouting.

“Why did you tell them that?”

“Because I wanted to tease you.” He grinned widely.

“Aish, you little-“ she was about to punch him, when he grabbed her hand.

“So little miss fashion girl. Why do you keep wearing baggy clothes, when you yourself design pretty clothes.”

“Just because-“ she shrugged, taking her hand away from his. “You, why did you hide the fact that you’re KTBC’s heir?”

“I did not. I’m surprised you didn’t know, with all the scandals around me.”

“Well maybe, I just didn’t care enough.” She announced, before going to her room. “Goodnight.”

“Do you need me to help you remove that dress?” he asked just to try his luck.

“Nope. Maybe in your dreams!” He laughed at her reply.