O n e

Glass Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo was appreciating the warm sun rays filtering through the large window as he kept his line of sight on the tiny purple figures located on the soccer field. The warmth lingered in the air as he gazed out the window with his chin propped up on his hand. His eyes began to flutter closed as he was about to fall into his dreams, however, suddenly, he felt a large foot ram into his calves.

“Ouch!” he whispered snappily, not even having to search around as he already knew the culprit.

He rubbed his eyes as his homeroom teacher drawled on about their futures or some crap he knew she didn’t actually care about. He twisted himself to the right until he faced his “best friend”, Chanyeol.

“Would you stop that?” he whispered harshly, glaring up at the tall boy, his shaggy hair concealing his evil grin.

“Class is almost over anyway, it’s fine,” he responded, waving his lanky arm towards the clock above the teacher’s head.

It was true, there were only 10 minutes left of class, but it was the principle of the thing. Rolling his eyes, he moved his line of vision back to the rambling teacher. He wrinkled his nose at everything she seemed to be spitting out; it was annoying. Everything was all about university and the money which he didn’t have. His number one aspiration in life was to be an acclaimed and successful chef, which he was far from achieving as he learned more about cooking from the grandma across the street than he did from school. The seconds seemed to pass as if they were hours until finally, the last bell rang and high school was completed for all of the 12th graders. Their graduation already took place however the school deemed it necessary to aid the student’s futures by keeping them captive in a tiny classroom in order to lecture them on how cruel the real world was.

The last rings of the bell took place as everyone leaped out of their seats, and with their practically empty school bags, they raced towards the door that would lead to their adulthood. Just kidding. He actually heard the shouts that figuratively and literally screamed immaturity down the hall. He was able to hear the loudest, rowdiest senior, Byun Baekhyun. Kyungsoo actually had the luck of avoiding the boy throughout his high school experience; he didn’t particularly like the type of people that were exceptionally loud and always yelling, which was proven by Baekhyun’s yelping that currently filled the halls.

“WOOOH! SCHOOL'S OUT FOREVER!!” His other friends backed him up with their screams that were just as loud or even louder, if that was even possible.

Kyungsoo scoffed at the sheer ridiculousness of the situation. He honestly just wanted to receive his diploma and leave, he didn’t understand why he had to put up with this.

A deep laugh rumbled from Chanyeol’s throat,”C’mon he’s just having fun, why are you so cynical?”

He opened his mouth to defend himself, but Chanyeol beat him to it.

“Yeah yeah, you’re just a realist. Whatever, let’s just go.”

The boy was about a whole head taller than Kyungsoo which meant that he hovered above a majority of students in their class. This also meant that he had the advantage of pushing his way through the crowd.

The two boys forced their way out and finally arrived safely outside of the school building, they headed over to Kyungsoo’s apartment that he shared with his older brother, Seungsoo. He was responsible for paying all the expenses, and it was difficult for him, but he valued his little brother’s education and would do anything for him and his family. Seungsoo hardly cared and was determined to try his best in everything he did.

 

As the two boys walked home together, Kyungsoo already knew what their discussion was about to entail.

“So... how is that chef thing going? Are you going to attend the culinary school you got accepted to?” Chanyeol questioned carefully.

“Well…” he hummed in thought, “I would love to, but, you know how tight I am on money. I think I might just get loans? I mean, my parents hate the idea but, it’s alright I guess… I don’t have much of a choice.” he said, letting out a bitter laugh.

“Kyungsoo, you know how my family is, we can help-” Chanyeol started, lines wrinkling on his forehead as evidence for his sharp concern.

Kyungsoo stopped walking and turned to face Chanyeol.

“Honestly, how many times do I have to say this, Chanyeol. I really appreciate you trying to help me, and I know it’s because you care, but I can’t do that. I, personally, would never feel comfortable with doing that.” he pleaded softly.

“But-”

“No, Chanyeol. I don’t think you understand. I just- I can’t do that, okay.” He said giving Chanyeol a tight smile. “I’ll manage, don’t worry.”

Chanyeol’s family was originally well off; both of his parents owned restaurants and his older sister was an aspiring news reporter. They were always extremely loving and treated him like their second son, and he was grateful for how warmly they welcomed him into their family, but it was just so wrong to take their money. Not only did it hurt his pride, but he knew the value of money and they were practically family, so he just couldn’t fathom not earning it himself.

 

Chanyeol finally gave in and simply nodded, offering a kind smile to Kyungsoo. He looked over at his apartment that was just ahead, and with a mischievous grin, he yelled, “Last one to the house is a rotten egg!” His long legs started as Kyungsoo fondly rolled his eyes and sprinted after his best friend.

 

 

“You overgrown beanstalk! I didn’t know-” he said, between pants “-you meant the actual apartment I thought it was just to the front of the building.” Groaning uncharacteristically as he walked the last step, he glared at the equally tired boy beaming at him. As he pressed in the pin code, Chanyeol began to defend himself.

“First of all, I am not a beanstalk, you’re honestly just bitter that you are the size of an oompa loompa-” Chanyeol rambled as the door beeped and was pushed in by Kyungsoo.

The shorter boy just ignored Chanyeol and instead turned his attention to taking off his shoes and headed to the kitchen in order to construct a masterpiece for the two of them.

“Kyungsoo! Can you please make the pasta you made last time it was heavenly and beautiful and-” he stopped reciting his list of adjectives synonymous to ‘good’ when he saw what was in Kyungsoo’s grasp. It turns out that Kyungsoo’s definition of a masterpiece were two packages of ramen with eggs and green onion.

“I thought you said you wanted to be a chef…” murmured Chanyeol, disappointment lacing his words.

“Be grateful I didn’t just serve you rice and left it at that,” Kyungsoo responded flatly with a deadpan expression.

Chanyeol stuck out his tongue at Kyungsoo’s back while collecting bowls and utensils for their meal.

“I saw that.” Kyungsoo pointed out, narrowing his eyes at Chanyeol’s sheepish expression.

 

Shaking his head fondly, a smile made its way to his face. Life was inevitably hard and practically literal hell at times, but it had its moments.

 

And Kyungsoo could confidently admit that this moment, right now, was a good moment.

 

 

His arms ached as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter