Epilogue

Back 2 U

For the past two months, Taeyong and Jaehyun showered Ten endlessly with affection. Neither had given up in their pursuit to win Ten back; even making it a competition between themselves to see who could make him blush or be flustered the most. Every morning, Jaehyun woke up early just to buy Ten his favourite coffee, much to Taeyong’s annoyance, and take it to the dorm he shared with the Dreamies. Not wanting to be outshined, Taeyong would bring bread and cakes for him and Ten to share in the practice rooms.

 

Keeping a blank face proved to be difficult for Ten, especially when the boys’ actions made his heart flutter. Since he had been discharged, Taeyong and Jaehyun always made sure he was eating properly and drinking well. As each day went on, it became increasing hard for Ten not to give in to their advances, and just be their boyfriend again.

 

Two people who were left amused by the development were Johnny and Lucas, it seemed to them that two more had joined the ‘Ten Protection Squad’. Johnny was pleased the Taeyong and Jaehyun started to step up regarding their relationship with his best friend. While Ten was away, Johnny had sat them down to have a discussion over what happened the night Ten ran from the dorm. If not for him, Taeyong and Jaehyun may not have fully realised the damage and heartbreak they imposed on Ten. Lucas was just happy to see his hyung smiling again. Ten was like an older brother to him; although Lucas identified with the Chinese line, he and Ten shared the Thai bond and the older always helped him in learning more about aspects of their culture. All Johnny and Lucas could do was hope that Taeyong and Jaehyun wouldn’t make the same mistake again. They may be in one group, but both would be unforgiving if they dared hurt Ten again.

 

NCT had an upcoming mini break over the weekend, and Taeyong and Jaehyun wanted to use that time to make a grand gesture for Ten. After a series of begging, they had managed to rope the members into helping them with their plan. The Dreamies, plus Lucas and Mark (he refused to be apart from Ten), would keep Ten distracted while the NCT U and 127 members would help set up the plan that Jaeyong had conjured up. Meanwhile, Taeyong and Jaehyun rehearsed the song they had written for Ten preparing to sing it for said boy at the end of the night.

 

As cliché as it sounds, Taeyong and Jaehyun had planned for the Dreamies (and Mark and Lucas) to distract Ten with a scavenger hunt that would lead them back to the dorm. The 127 members had gone around the city, putting up clues that would not only lead Ten back to the dorm, but remind him of the memories he shared with Taeyong and Jaehyun. Attached on each clue were photos of their times together starting from the day they first met. With every clue, a fresh batch of tears gathered in Ten’s eyes. Jaemin and Jeno, having noticed, both placed they arms around Ten and the three walked like that the rest of the trail, following behind the others.

 

Ten couldn’t stop the feeling that was growing in his heart at all the memories. Taeyong and Jaehyun had left little messages on each polaroid as a reminder of what they had. Ten could feel his resolve breaking, and by the end of the hunt, he was gravely missing their relationship and ready to accept them back.

 

He let out a little chuckle when he realised they were back were they started: in front of the dorm. Chenle nudged him from behind when Ten stood static in front of the dorm. He looked behind him at the reassuring smiles, before taking a deep breath opening the door. Ten was moving too slow for the other’s liking, so Jisung and Mark pushed him in with yells of ‘have fun!’. Silently cursing them out, Ten could hear Lucas and Chenle laughing, almost as if they were rivalling each other on who could be the loudest.

 

When he finally looked up, the sight marvelled him. Fairy lights lit up the walls with more memories hanging off; not just of Taeyong, Jaehyun and him, but of all his memories with the rest of s, his family. Jaehyun and Taeyong followed Ten’s every move with their eyes as they patiently waited for him to notice them. They could see the sparkle in Ten’s eyes as he carefully scanned over all the pictures.

 

He lingered longer at the photos of the three of them, but his smile never faded. Finally, his eyes landed on the two, causing them to both gasp from the intensity of the look in Ten’s eyes. All three could see the love flowing in the atmosphere, as they all stood in silence. It almost became a staring contest, but Taeyong couldn’t stand the suspense any longer.

 

“So, do you like it?” Ten could see the anxious demeanour coming off them both, and at his soft growing smile, the tension released as Taeyong and Jaehyun let themselves relax.

 

“I do.” The amount of effort they had put into their plan overwhelmed Ten; the feeling wasn’t one he wanted to escape, but one Ten wanted to embrace and bask in. “Did you really do all this for me?”

 

“Of course! W-we would have done m-more, but this was all we could think of to show how much we love and appreciate you,” Jaehyun pipped up.

 

“Thank you,” Ten blushed. “You really didn’t have to go through all this trouble.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. You deserve the world and more, but I hope you can accept what we have to offer.”

 

“… I would like that.” Ten beamed.

 

The rest of the night went by smoothly. Taeyong had made Ten’s favourite Korean dishes, and even attempted to make some Thai ones as well. Jaehyun had helped make dessert: a chocolate cake, with lots of milk cream in the middle and on top. Conversation stayed light throughout the evening, and it felt just like old times. The evening had come to the time Taeyong and Jaehyun would perform for Ten. The two had taken Ten up to the roof where Taeil, Doyoung and Mark were waiting on the makeshift stage. All the other members were there as well on beanbag and cushions they had brought up from the dorm. Lucas and Johnny had saved a space for Ten in between them at the front by the stage.

 

“Mic check, one two, one two.” Ten giggled at Taeyong’s antics. “Well we’re about to perform a song for a very special and beautiful person in audience; you know who you are,” Taeyong winked at Ten.

 

Jaehyun followed, “Erm, this song was written quite a while ago, but now’s a good a time as any to final let the inspiration behind this song know that it’s about him, and to have an intimate performance with all those who love him around.”

 

Taeil and Mark started playing Angel on the guitar, and Ten already had tears b in his eyes. Based off today alone, one would assume he was a big cry baby with how many times he’d been brought to tears. While Taeyong or Jaehyun were singing, they would look deeply into Ten’s eyes trying to convey their emotions through the words. By the end, everyone was cheering for an encore, but once settled down, Lucas and Johnny pushed Ten up on the stage.

 

Up until this point, Taeyong and Jaehyun were nervous, but the nerves were bearable. Now that Ten was standing in front of them, their hands started to be become clammy and their hearts began racing faster suddenly losing the ability to speak. Ten looked at them expectantly which prompted Taeyong to speak first.

 

“Ten,” he paused to gather his thoughts. “Ever since you came back from the military, Jaehyun and I had been thinking of ways to try and get you back. Two months ago, we thought we had lost that chance forever, but that all changed when you forgave us despite how awful we’d been. Today, with the help of our family, we finally have the courage to ask you to be ours once again; to give us another chance to be all that you need. Even if you say no, I just want you to know that we won’t stop trying to win you over.” Taeyong looked at Jaehyun.

 

“So, will you be our friend, lover and soulmate again?” Jaehyun asked trembling.

 

There was a long silence, everyone anticipating Ten’s answer. “… yes,” he mumbled.

 

“Sorry you’re going to need to speak up for the people at the back we can’t hear you!” Renjun yelled.

 

“Yes! I said yes! I will be your boyfriend again,” Ten chuckled with amusement. “And I’ll be your friend and soulmate. I’ll be your everything… just yes.” The moment Ten said this, relief washed over the newly reunited couple, and all their members who had watched them suffer through the pain of not being together.

 

 

*1 year time skip*

 

Taeyong, Jaehyun and Ten’s relationship had been going smoothly. Ever since they got back together, Taeyong and Jaehyun treated Ten like a queen, and made sure he knew how loved he was. Johnny and Lucas had finally learnt to fully trust Taeyong and Jaehyun, they were now confident that they wouldn’t break Ten’s heart. As for the guy himself, he loved the new dynamic of their relationship, and always showed his appreciation for the love he received. NCT were back to the way they were, one big happy family and they lived happily ever after.