two; you light up my heart

forever (bloom in my heart)

Minseok is still at sea, except it’s calmer now, and he can see the gold glittery sand on the shore.

He reaches land and opens his eyes.

The first thing he sees is bright white light and he immediately closes his eyes again. He swallows and becomes aware of the soft beeping of a heart monitor. He lets his hands wander around him and finds he can only move one of his hands.

The other is being held by another hand – another person.

Minseok slowly opens his eyes, letting them adjust to the light. He breathes evenly and deeply, and is surprised to find his breathing is effortless.

He recognises the hospital ward and looks down to see himself covered in a blanket. He is alone in the room, save for the person holding his hand.

“Jongin?” Minseok croaks. His voice is rough and he wonders how long he’d been out.

Jongin stirs gradually. He stretches, never letting go of Minseok’s hand. He hums, and Minseok’s heart flutters at the sound. The heart monitor beeps faster.

“Huh?” Jongin opens his eyes and looks at the monitor. He frowns and turns to Minseok, then freezes when he realises he’s awake.

“Minseok!” Jongin jumps up and grips his hand tighter. “Oh my god, you’re awake.”

Tears form in his eyes and one slips out. It trails down his cheek and Minseok notes how pale he is. His hair is dishevelled and he looks like he hasn’t slept properly in days.

Minseok stretches his free hand out and wipes the tear away. “Jongin-ah.” He says softly. “I hope you’ve been taking care of yourself.”

Jongin grabs his hand and holds it against his cheek. “Idiot hyung.” He sniffles. “You’re dumb, you know that?”

Minseok surprises them both by laughing loudly. His laugh breaks off into a cough and he unconsciously squeezes Jongin’s hand.

“Wait.” Jongin is alarmed. “Let me go call Junmyeon-hyung.”

He moves to rush out but Minseok holds him by his hand. “Jongin-ah.”

Jongin turns to face him and Minseok smiles, trying not to grimace instead. “How are you?”

“I’m okay now.” Jongin answers. “I’m okay now that you’re awake.”

Then his hand is slipping through Minseok’s and he’s alone.

Minseok settles back in the bed and stares at the ceiling. Talking hurts his throat a little. It still feels raw and his chest hurts a little, but it’s not as intense as before. He wonders what happened after he passed out.

The door opens and Junmyeon steps in, Jongin close behind him.

“Junmyeon-ah.” Minseok’s smile is better this time. “How long have I been out?”

“Kim Minseok-ssi.” Junmyeon greets formally, coldly, and Minseok frowns. “You’ve been unconscious for three days and 13 hours. Let me check your vitals.”

Minseok raises his eyebrows and Junmyeon avoids his gaze. He catches Jongin’s eyes, and Jongin struggles to hide his smile and shakes his head instead.

Junmyeon makes some notes on the clipboard he’s carrying and checks Minseok’s heartbeat.

“How is your throat?” Junmyeon asks, and Minseok catches the worry in his eyes.

“Sore.” Minseok says. “But not as sore as before.”

“Do you feel weak? Is there any signs of dizziness?” Junmyeon continues, staring at the clipboard.

“Junmyeon, my face is not on the clipboard.” Minseok says dryly. “I feel fine. Will you tell me what happened?”

Junmyeon looks at him and Minseok sees the pain and anger there. “I thought you were going to die.” He hisses.

“I’m sorry.” And Minseok is. He didn’t mean to make anyone worried. He didn’t know it would get that bad.

“Looking at you…” Junmyeon sets down the clipboard and runs a hand through his hair. “Lying there in Jongin’s arms. It was as if you were already gone. Do you have any idea how scared I was?”

“Junmyeon-ah.” Minseok sighs. “I really am sorry. I had no idea that was going to happen.”

“When were you going to tell us you had soul sickness?” Junmyeon’s eyes narrow dangerously. “When it consumed you? Why did you tell me? I had to find out from Yixing!”

“I was going to handle it.” Minseok whispers. “I thought if I took medication and rested and… I could endure.”

“I thought you were going to die.” Junmyeon repeats and rubs some tears away. He takes a deep breath and steadies his trembling hands. “But you’re okay now, by the looks of it. And Jongin says you’re apparently cured.”

“What?” Minseok frowns. “I am?”

“Yeah.” Junmyeon instantly drops his icy façade and grins mysteriously. “But I think he should tell you about that.”

“I should?” Jongin’s eyes are wide and he’s inching towards the door. At Junmyeon’s stern gaze, he ceases trying to escape and sighs. “I should.”

“Alright!” Junmyeon claps his hands and picks up the clipboard again. “I’ll leave you to it. Jongin-ah, let us know when you’re done so I can send in Baekhyun and Yixing. They’ve been here for an hour already.”

Minseok gapes as Junmyeon winks and retreats hastily. He shifts his gaze to Jongin and says, “Well, that was weird.”

“Yeah.” Jongin laughs awkwardly. “Weird.”

Minseok gestures for him to sit and waits while Jongin settles in the chair next to him. Without being prompted, he leans forward and takes Minseok’s hand in his.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were sick?” Jongin whispers, looking at their clasped hands. “I was so, so worried. I couldn’t stop shaking. They wouldn’t let me see you for hours. And when I finally saw you… Hyung, you were so pale.”

Minseok feels as if he stepped on his own heart and frowns. He wishes he could kick himself, honestly.

“And then Yixing arrives with Baekhyun. He says you have soul sickness. But that’s impossible, since you have a dead bud tattooed on your hip.” He raises his head to meet Minseok’s eyes.

“I’m sorry.” It’s all Minseok can offer. “I didn’t want to tell anyone until…”

“Until what?” Jongin’s eyes shine. “Until you were dead and I couldn’t tell you how I really felt?”

Jongin drops his head on top of their hands and sighs, his hot breath hitting Minseok’s wrist. He shivers at the feeling and cards his free hand through Jongin’s hair.

“I didn’t want to burden you.” Minseok says softly. “You had your awards show to practise for and then there was that Chimera Project… I figured I’d tell you once you volunteered for the project.”

“I wasn’t going to.” Jongin raises his head and Minseok’s hand falls to his side. “I made my decision before the show. I wasn’t going to volunteer because I had you.”

“What?” Minseok says for the umpteenth time. “You didn’t want to go for the Chimera Project?”

“No.” Jongin smiles wryly. “And when I sat here waiting for you to wake up, I realised something.”

“And what is that?” Minseok’s throat is dry but it is not uncomfortable anymore.

“I tried to imagine what my life would be like without you.” Jongin takes a shuddering breath. “And I was scared. You’re not my soulmate but… I can’t even begin to describe how you make me feel. I’ve never been that scared before.”

“I’m sorry I made so scared.” Minseok squeezes his hand. “And I feel the same way, Jongin-ah.”

“Hyung.” Jongin smiles tentatively. “You said that I’ve made a space in your life that you don’t want empty. If you’ll let me… may I have that space?”

“It’s already yours.” Minseok laughs and pulls Jongin up and towards him. Jongin falls on him and he wraps his arm around Jongin, holding him close.

Jongin is the anchor that keeps him on the ground, making sure he doesn’t float away. He’s the sun that chases away the darkness threatening to creep up on him. He reminds Minseok of everything beautiful and pure in the world.

“Oh yeah!” Jongin pulls away. “I have a surprise for you.”

“A surprise?” Minseok raises his eyebrows. “What is it?”

“It’s what cured your soul sickness!” Jongin grins and pulls down his sweater.

Minseok is about to ask him what on earth is he doing when he sees it.

On the stretch between Jongin’s collarbone and heart lies a tattoo of a growing daisy bud.

“Oh my god.” Minseok’s jaw drops. “Did you get a new tattoo? How? And when?!”

“I noticed it the day after you collapsed. It’s beautiful, right? And you know what the best part is?” Jongin’s grin widens. “You have a matching one.”

“Oh my god!” Minseok almost shrieks and pulls down the hospital gown. Indeed, true to Jongin’s words, there lies an identical growing daisy bud.

Minseok stares at it for a long time. It really is beautiful; it’s dark against his skin and it looks like it’s going to flourish into a striking huge daisy. And it even looks like the petals are going to be pink.

“Wow.” Minseok stares at Jongin in awe, and feels happiness bubble within him. “So, does this mean we’re soulmates?”

“We have no idea what you guys are.” Baekhyun bursts into the room, making them both jump. “But apparently the universe thinks your love is strong enough to declare you two accidental soulmates.”

“Accidental?” Minseok scoffs. “There’s nothing accidental about my love for Jongin.” He avoids the fond and happy look Jongin shoots him and tries to hide his blush.

“Think of it as a second chance.” Yixing appears behind Baekhyun. “No one really knows how to explain it. It’s a miracle, really.”

“We’re soulmates?” Minseok feels his eyes burn as he looks at Jongin.

“Accidental soulmates.” Jongin giggles. “But yes, soulmates. You can’t get rid of me now, hyung.”

“I wouldn’t dare.” Minseok beams.

“Ugh,” Baekhyun groans loudly. “How am I supposed to deal with a sappy Minseok hyung? I can’t get used to this.”

“Deal with it.” Minseok sticks his tongue out at Baekhyun and grins at his gasp. “It’s going to get a lot worse.”

“I’m glad to see you’re doing better.” Yixing lightly shoves Baekhyun and smiles at Minseok. “There’s no way to truly explain what happened to you… but the closest thing that I could gather is that once Jongin finally admitted he loved you and he decided he won’t volunteer for the project, your sickness was cured.”

“And the tattoo!” Jongin interjects, his cheeks red.

“And the tattoo.” Yixing chuckles.

Minseok nods, taking it all in. Yixing’s words make sense and he’s just really glad that he won’t be coughing up petals ever again.

“What matters is that I’m okay now.” He grips Jongin’s hand and smiles up at him. “We’re okay now.”

“Yeah.” Jongin returns his smile. “We are.”

“Gross!” Baekhyun wails. “They’re just looking at each other, so why do I feel so weird?”

“Hush, Byun Baekhyun.” Minseok laughs. “Think of it as payback for all the times I had to leave the room while you and Junmyeon carried on like teenagers, forgetting I was even there.”

Baekhyun colours and Jongin laughs loudly. “Oh man,” Jongin grins. “This is going to be so fun.”

“Dancer boy.” Baekhyun narrows his eyes. “I’m older than you, watch it.”

“He’s older physically.” Minseok whispers loudly. “Mentally though, definitely not.”

“Hey!” Baekhyun’s protests are drowned out by their laughs.

Yixing comforts Baekhyun and Minseok uses the opportunity to tug Jongin closer.

“Hey, soulmate.” He whispers.

“Hi.” Jongin says shyly. “Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Minseok grins.

There is a burning sensation on his chest but it is not unpleasant. When Minseok looks at it later, he’ll see that the daisy grew a bit more. Soon, it will stand tall, the petals growing so large that most of his shirts don’t even cover it.

Minseok smiles at Jongin and feels his heart thunder in his chest. He catches a glimpse of the future and a thousand emotions swirl within him.

It’s beautiful and bright and flowery.

And most importantly, Jongin is right there with him.

 

“So, whatever happened to the Chimera Project?” Baekhyun asks.

Junmyeon grabs his glass of wine and takes a long sip before saying, “Doctor Bae Joohyun shut it down herself.”

“Did she now?” Minseok’s raised eyebrow speaks volumes of judgement. “Why?”

“She realised her research was all wrong.” Junmyeon replies. “It was bordering on fictitious. The simulations were based too much on the person’s expectations and it ended up being nothing more than figments of their imagination come to life for a few minutes. Once she realised her mistake, she tanked everything.”

Minseok whistles lowly. “Well, I’m glad. I told her as much when I met her.”

“Well that’s over and done with!” Baekhyun claps his hands together and turns to Jongin. “How is Jongup doing?”

Jongin, in the middle of sipping from his glass, freezes. He raises his head to look at Baekhyun and flushes when he notices everyone looking at him.

“He’s doing okay.” Jongin says bashfully. “He’s back home and as long as he keeps up his exercise and treatment, he’ll be fully recovered.”

“That’s good to hear.” Junmyeon smiles. “Minseok hyung was very attached to Jongup.”

“He’s a nice kid!” Minseok grumbles. “I get attached to almost all the kids I help.”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun giggles. “One of the smaller kids even called Minseok appa for a few days.”

Jongin’s loud laughter surprises and pleases Baekhyun. Minseok is glad to see them getting along. He wasn’t awake to witness their first meeting and they somewhat bonded while he was unconscious. He knew his friends would love Jongin but seeing them laugh and smile together eases his heart.

“Jongin-ah.” Junmyeon finishes his wine and sets his glass down. “When is your next dance show? Baekhyun and I would love to see you dance.”

“And I didn’t exactly get to tell them how it was.” Minseok rubs the back of his neck. “You know, almost dying and all.”

“Actually…” Jongin glances to Minseok’s hand and plays with his fingers, “One of the people at the awards show contacted me. She said she’s the owner of an art gallery and there’s some famous artist that’s going to showcase his work at her gallery. She asked me to dance at the opening.”

“Jongin!” Minseok gapes at him. “That’s amazing!”

“Are you going to do it?” Junmyeon asks, and smiles when Jongin nods. “Congratulations, then!”

“Yay more wine!” Baekhyun dives for the bottle and pours himself a generous glass. “To Jongin! I hope we’re invited!”

“Yes, you all are invited.” Jongin beams and Minseok can see him slowly opening up to his friends. “I’d love for you guys to be there. And for Minseok to not pass out afterwards.”

Baekhyun laughs loudly and Minseok rolls his eyes. “Well, we can just tell everyone that you were so talented and amazing that I fainted.”

“Yeah.” Jongin intertwines their fingers and smiles at him. Baekhyun and Junmyeon start to bicker next to them but Minseok and Jongin are looking at each other and they go ignored. “We can go with that.”

 

“Taemin!” Minseok bows low to him. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

Taemin returns his bow and straightens, pushing his blonde hair out of his eyes. “Likewise,” He smiles so brightly that he suddenly looks much younger than his age. “Jongin has told me a lot about you.”

“Nothing bad, I hope.” Minseok nudges him and grins.

“Nothing too bad.” Taemin’s eyes twinkle. “Just that when you saw his first performance, you were so blown away that you actually fainted.”

Jongin bursts out laughing at Minseok’s scandalised expression. “Hyung, we agreed on it! And besides, Taemin is just kidding.”

Taemin and Jongin reach for each other at the same time but Taemin is the one who ends up in a headlock. Jongin playfully rubs his hair, messing up the blonde locks as Taemin wails loudly. Minseok laughs as Taemin manages to tickle Jongin and is let go immediately.

“I’m just kidding.” Taemin admits breathlessly. “Jongin told me the truth.”

“Taemin is still yet to meet his soulmate.” Jongin is equally as winded. “But I think he’ll meet them soon.”

“Whoever they are, I’m sure they’ll be perfect for you.” Minseok says sincerely. “After all, the universe has a funny way of working.”

“That it does.” Jongin’s smile contains secrets only visible to Minseok, and he shivers lightly.

“That it does.”

 

“Hey, hyung, I was looking up flowers yesterday.”

“Hmm?” Minseok hums to let Jongin know that he’s listening and pulls him closer, burying his face in the crook of Jongin’s neck.

“And I came across daisies. You know, like our soul tattoos. Do you want to guess what they mean?”

“No.” Minseok pulls away and blinks sleepily at him. “What do they mean, Jonginnie?”

“New beginnings.” Jongin’s eyes shine brighter than the sun in the early morning. “Purity and loyal love. Don’t you think that’s fitting?”

Minseok considers this and hums once again. “Yeah, that is pretty fitting.” He agrees.

“They also ideal for babies being born.” Jongin continues.

Minseok furrows his eyebrows and looks at Jongin in bewilderment. He absently plays with a lock of Jongin’s dark brown hair. He’d gotten it dyed two days ago and Minseok is still trying to get used to it. He misses the pink hair but he likes the darker colour on Jongin. He secretly thinks that any hair colour will suit Jongin, really.

“Babies being born?” Minseok repeats dryly. “Are you trying to say something?”

“No.” Jongin grins. “But that is also a new beginning! That’s what the website said, anyway.”

Minseok rolls his eyes playfully and shuffles closer to Jongin. “Isn’t Jungah pregnant? We’ll be sure to give her daisies soon.”

“Yeah.” Jongin smiles and his arms tighten around Minseok. “We’ll do that.”

Lying like this, with his legs intertwined with Jongin’s and his head resting on Jongin’s shoulder, Minseok feels as if he’s floating on a cloud. A large fluffy cloud that has dark brown hair.

He shuffles slightly closer so that he’s tilted on top of Jongin. This way, their soul tattoos line up perfectly. The daisies on their collarbones stretch to touch each other, bright and tinged with pink.

Minseok sighs happily and closes his eyes.

“Hyung, don’t you have work?” Jongin mumbles sleepily.

Minseok hums. “I do.” He agrees. “But lying here with you is much more comfortable. Guess I’ll have to call in sick.”

“But what if they need you?” Jongin is more awake now. “Call in and say you’re coming late.”

Minseok pouts against his skin. “Fine, okay. I’ll do that.”

“Sometimes it feels like you’re the younger one.” Jongin laughs and it’s beautiful enough to stop Minseok from slipping back into sleep.

“You’re wise beyond your years.” Minseok lifts his head to beam at Jongin, and then collapses as they both burst into laughter.

The room is suddenly brighter, their laughter bouncing off the walls and Jongin happily grinning next to him. Minseok glances to his soul tattoo. It’s breath-taking and beautiful against the pale skin of Jongin’s chest.

Jongin, his very own flower that bloomed so beautifully. Jongin, his soulmate, the love of his life.

Minseok smiles and wraps his arms around Jongin, burrowing deeper next to him. It’s worth missing work for.

Maybe they’ll go see the sunset later. Or they can go to a nice fancy place for dinner tonight.

Whatever it is, Jongin will be by his side, and Minseok thinks nothing will be better than that.