Confessions

Wild Horses

Hae Soo ducked behind a tree as her father and Baek Ah left the garden, trying to comprehend what she had just heard. Baek Ah the stable hand was really a PRINCE?? Baek Ah, the young man she’d spent the winter laughing and joking with, listening to his stories and songs, the one who felt more like a brother or dear friend than just a servant, he was actually royalty?

Her first thought was that she was pissed off. How could he lie to her like that, to Myung Hee who she thought he adored, to all of them? Well, almost all of them, since her father obviously knew. Her second thought was…

Wow, people really do this sort of thing? I thought that was just in dramas!

Back in the modern world, when she was still Go Ha Jin, she remembered watching dramas with her mother, where they’d show princes in disguise, falling in love and getting into all sorts of trouble. Ha Jin thought it just a silly plot device at the time, but now she was here and it was really happening!

So Hwan Baek Ah…no, it had to be Wang Baek Ah, since he was royalty…he was a prince. Huh. He didn’t seem much like a prince. She’d met two so far and Wang So seemed more princely than Baek Ah did. Of course that could be because So was trying boss her around at the time and Baek Ah was trying to hide.

Royalty is weird. Or maybe it’s just because they’re men.  Given the blatant ism of the era she lived in, Soo felt unapologetic about having a little of her own.

But what to do now? Should she confront him about what she’d heard? Should she tell her sister? Myung Hee definitely should know. And was Baek Ah going to leave? From what the General said, one of his brothers was coming to visit and for whatever reason Baek Ah didn’t want his family to know where he was. That is something Soo wondered about. Why was Baek Ah in disguise? Was he in trouble?

Maybe she should just ask him.

Deciding confrontation was the best course of action (especially since she was still annoyed at her friend for having been lied to) Soo looked for Baek Ah. She found him near the stream on their property, washing his hands.

“Hi Soo!” he grinned up at her from where he knelt by the water. Soo had commanded him to drop the ‘Lady Soo’ stuff when it was just them.

Soo dropped to her knees and started bowing to him. “Oh Your Highness! Forgive me for not seeing your greatness and leaving your noble self to wash your own hands!”  Okay yeah, it was kind of rude; but she was mad and given that he was in disguise cleaning up after horses every day, he didn’t seem like the type who would have her head chopped off for a little payback.

Raising her head up a little, she glared at him. The look on the…wait, she didn’t know what number Prince he was….disguised Prince’s face was priceless.

“Soo! Not so loud!”  Baek Ah looked around nervously, and stood up.

Soo didn’t say anything more, but remained kneeling, glaring at him.

“Aren’t you going to stand up?”

“Aren’t you supposed to give me permission first, Your Highness?”

Baek Ah sighed. “Fine, get up.”

Soo stood. “Thank you Your Highness.”

“Stop that!”

She brushed the dirt off of her skirt. “Why? It’s who you are, isn’t it?”

“Well, yes. But I didn’t want anyone to know that. You must have heard your father and I talking just now.”

The look that Soo gave him clearly said ‘well, DUH.’

Baek Ah went and sat down under a nearby tree. “Come on, have a seat.”

“Thank you Your Highness.”

He rolled his eyes. “Please, just call me Baek Ah.”

“Thank you.” Still annoyed, Soo sat down next to him.

“So which number prince are you?” He was too young to be the Crown Prince, she’d already met the Fourth Prince, and number Eight was on his way here. Soo was sure there was a list somewhere, but she wasn’t any better at learning history than she was back home. Besides, she was living in history now, and was more concerned with getting through day to day life than the studies she’d agonized over in the twenty-first century.

“I’m the Thirteenth Prince.” He picked up a leaf from the ground and started playing with it, avoiding her gaze.  “Soo…I know you must be mad at me…”

Why? Why are you doing this? Why did you come here and lie to us like that? I thought that was something people only did in…in stories.” Soo said, since bringing up the idea of sageuk would open a bigger can of worms than Baek Ah’s.

Baek Ah shrugged. “I’ve always wanted to travel and see the world. And I’ve always felt kind of useless at the palace. My father doesn’t really need me for anything. My mother’s family isn’t very powerful and when you’re number thirteen in a line of brothers your name isn’t on the short list to take the throne someday. Not that I want it. So last year I asked His Majesty for permission to leave the palace and travel.”

He paused and smiled. “It’s been wonderful. I’ve been so many places and met so many different people.”

Soo felt her anger fading. She could see where he was coming from. Who would want to remain stuck in a place where you may be loved (she was assuming the King loved him), but not really needed? Just a spare prince among a multitude of spare princes? It was something she wouldn’t mind doing either. Sure, she’d traveled a bit with her father and sister over the years since she came to this era, but that just made her want to see more of this world she found herself in.

“So all of those stories you’ve told us, they were true?”

Baek Ah nodded. “Yes. It’s been the best experience of my life so far.”

Soo drew her knees up and rested her head on them. “So how did you end up here?”

“Well, traveling is fun, but doing it in winter…not so much. Your father wanted me to stay as a guest for the winter but I wasn’t ready to be a Prince again so he let me work in the stable. It was just supposed to be for the winter…”

“But you met my sister and didn’t want to leave?” Soo grinned.

To her delight, Baek Ah actually blushed!

“She’s wonderful.” The smitten prince sighed. “I thought I had time to let her get to know me, but now my Eighth brother is coming and I don’t know how to get him to keep the secret without anyone finding out first. But I don’t want to leave. She’ll be so mad.”

“I could tell her!” Soo chimed in. This was wonderful! Myung Hee had always been so good to her. Soo wanted her to have a happy life with a man who loved her, and she was already happy that her sister had met Baek Ah, but now to learn that he was a prince? This was perfect! Myung Hee would make a lovely princess. She pictured a fancy wedding with her sister in a beautiful dress, and Soo could visit her at the palace.

“No!” Baek Ah exclaimed, barging into Soo’s dream of her sister’s fairytale wedding. “No, don’t do that. Let me tell her myself.”

Soo pouted a little, but nodded. “Okay.”

“Don’t look like that. Wait until you meet my Eighth brother. He’s very smart, and handsome; the girls are always sighing over him. I’ll put in a good word for you with him.”

Soo nodded. A smart, handsome prince sounded nice, but her mind couldn’t help wandering back to a trip made years ago and the week she spent in Shinju. The days she spent climbing trees, playing in the hot spring and listening to Wang So read to her. Where was that little boy now?

Wait…since So was the Fourth Prince, then Baek Ah was his brother! He’d be the perfect person to ask. Soo felt suddenly shy now though, like she was a little girl again. Would Wang So even remember her? Did he look back on those days fondly, or was she just the silly little girl he’d played with once?

“I met one of your brothers once, years ago when we visited Shinju…” Soo began, haltingly.

0-o-o-o-0

Baek Ah was frustrated. He loved his brother Wook, but he couldn’t have picked a worse time to visit General Hae. His original plans to leave once spring came were gone. The feelings he had for Myung Hee were too strong; he wanted time to let her get to know him before he told her who he was and courted her properly as a Prince of Goryeo. And he didn’t think the General was clueless as to what was going on. The fact that he’d allowed Baek Ah to stay longer than they’d originally agreed was a hint that maybe the man wasn’t averse to Baek Ah courting his daughter. But now that Wook was coming, the General was suggesting he leave…Baek Ah didn’t know what was going on, but he didn’t like it.

He needed to tell Myung Hee who he really was, especially now that Soo knew. It looked like she would forgive him, but how would her sister react? He was only half-listening to Soo, wondering how to broach the subject with Myung Hee, when the word Shinju caught his attention.

“Wait…wait…you met So?”

Soo nodded. “We spent a week in Shinju when I was ten, and stayed with the Kangs.”

If there was anyone that might have been able to keep Baek Ah back when he was ready to leave Songak, it was his brother So. After spending so many years with the Kang family, the Fourth Prince had returned to the palace a few months before Baek Ah left. Baek Ah had been a little awkward with him at first, given all the things he’d heard about his brother over the years, but So turned out to be kind and loyal, with a sense of humor buried beneath that stern exterior. Life had been hard on him, but the two had clicked. Baek Ah had wanted him to travel with him, but So had come back to the palace to be home and rebuild a relationship with his mother and brothers. Personally he thought it wasn’t likely to happen, but after so many years away, Baek Ah thought his brother couldn’t be blamed for wanting to try.

He tried to picture a little So and Soo meeting each other. That had to be an interesting occasion.  “And what did you think of him?”

Soo scowled. “He was a brat. Wouldn’t let me play in the hot spring without his permission and threw acorns at me.”

Baek Ah grinned. He definitely had to have a talk with So the next time they saw each other. There were some stories here that his brother had never brought up.

“He’s never mentioned you. Maybe it was because you two spent the week fighting?”

“That little jerk. He’s just embarrassed because I had better aim than him.”

He couldn’t help it, his laughter rang out at this, picturing Soo pelting acorns at his scary-looking brother. Soo grinned back at him.

“It wasn’t all fighting.” She said at last, quietly. “We ran all over the place, and when it rained he read to me. It was nice. But I think he was lonely.”

“Yes, I imagine he was.”  Baek Ah looked at Soo for a long moment. She was looking out across the stream, but he didn’t think she saw it; there was a faraway look in her eyes. It was clear that she’d never forgotten his brother; he wondered what memories So kept of her? He couldn’t imagine anyone forgetting someone like Soo, especially when they’d had a childhood like So did. In quiet moments So spoke briefly of his time with the Kangs, and Baek Ah felt anger at their father for throwing his fourth son away like that. So deserved much better. It lightened his heart a bit to know that Soo had given him a week of friendship.

“He lives at the palace now; he left Shinju last year.”

“He did? That’s great! So he’s with his family now, yes? I’m so glad to hear that.” Soo exclaimed, her face brightening with joy.

Baek Ah nodded. “Me too. But I think he could still use a friend. Maybe someday you could get to visit the palace. I think he’d like to see you again.”

“Do you really think so?”

Baek Ah, thinking about his brother who despite being surrounded by family was still as alone as ever, nodded. “Yes.”

0-o-o-o-0

After dinner, Baek Ah found Myung Hee seated by the pond, watching the sun set. Soo was off in the distance, riding her horse with one of the grooms.

“Did you say something to Soo?” she asked as he sat down. “She seemed rather….smug…at dinner. Like she knows something I don’t and is happy about it.”

“Maybe it’s because I told her I’m leaving.” Baek Ah said.

Myung Hee shook her head. “No, that can’t be it, she wouldn’t be happy about…wait, you’re leaving?” She looked up at him, distress marring the usual calm perfection of her face.

“Yes. I’d only agreed to work here for the winter, but spring is passing us and soon it will be summer. I should be going.” Baek Ah said, loving how this news affected her. “Does this bother you?”

Myung Hee recovered herself, looking out at the light of the sun setting over the water. “No. Why would it?”

“It bothers me. I’ve enjoyed traveling so much, and thought I would be happy to go again once spring came, but I find myself not wanting to go.”

She glanced at him. “You do?”

“Myung Hee.” He said softly. “Don’t you know the only reason I have stayed is because of you?”

Her lips parted, like she wanted to say something, but no words came out. Her eyes however, spoke volumes, and encouraged, Baek Ah continued.

“I feel, if I left this place, like a piece of me would remain. While I might keep going, everything important would be here, with you. And how can anyone live like that, so empty?”

As he spoke, he leaned closer to Myung Hee, until he was a breath away from her.  She did not move away from him, and his lips brushed softly against hers. A sigh escaped and he caught it in his, kissing her gently. Eyes closed, he felt her hand rest on his arm and he silently rejoiced. Baek Ah was not innocent; the gisaengs liked to play kissing games with him because he sang for them and treated them with respect, but kissing Myung Hee was the sweetest thing he’d ever known.

Finally he drew away, the flesh of his mouth clinging briefly to hers as if it couldn’t bear to part from her. Myung Hee’s eyes glowed, partly from the setting sun but not completely. Her hand reached up and brushed his cheek.

“I shouldn’t feel this.” She whispered. “My father…”

“Shhh….” He said, taking her hand and kissing the palm. “If you didn’t have to think about that, about who you are and who I am, if I asked you to come away with me, would you?”

“…yes…” she whispered, his little wooden doll’s polite mask completely gone.

“Then that’s all I need to know.” Baek Ah said, and kissed her cheek. So soft, scented lightly with the soap that Soo made for the household.

“I’ll talk to your father tomorrow.”

“But…”

“If you’re worried about what he’d say…I…um….haven’t been completely honest with you.” Baek Ah sat up, hoping she wouldn’t hit him when she found it. He was just glad Soo didn’t. That girl was small, but she could really hit, as he’d found out the hard way one day when a prank went awry.

“What do you mean?”

“My name isn’t Hwan Baek Ah. It’s….it’s Wang Baek Ah. My mother was a princess of Silla, my father is the King of Goryeo, and I am his thirteenth son.”

Daring to look at Myung Hee, he saw that her face was in an expression of shock.

“What??”

“I know this is a surprise…I’ve been traveling because I wanted to be away from the palace and see what I could of the world…”

Myung Hee scooted away from him.

“How could you lie to us like that? Does my father know…of course he knows…” she said, realization hitting her in the mid-rant. “Why are you telling me now?”

“I’m sorry Myung Hee.”Baek Ah said, wanting to go to her but letting her keep her distance. “I was enjoying my time here so much. Not being a Prince, just being Baek Ah, joking with Soo and riding horses with you. I was going to tell you eventually, but your sister overheard your father and I talking. My Eighth brother is coming to visit soon and there’s no way I’d be able to keep the secret with him around. Please forgive me.”

“You’re forgiven.” She said, her expression softening. Much like Soo, Myung Hee did not keep a grudge for long. She did not sit back with him, but her hand was close enough that Baek Ah was able to pick it up, and she didn’t stop him.

“Thank you. Will you forgive me for something else? I don’t have much to offer you; my mother’s family is of a rather lower status compared to some of my brothers. But anything I will ever have in my life I would gladly give, if you’ll let me spend my life with you.” Inching closer, he kissed her fingertips. “Please say you’ll marry me.”

“Yes…” came a choked whisper.

“What was that?” he asked, a smile twitching the corners of his mouth.

“Yes.” A little stronger now, and looking up, he could see tears filling Myung Hee’s eyes. “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

His heart filled with glee, Baek Ah pulled her close and kissed her soundly.

0-o-o-o-0

“He’s going to talk to Father today.” Myung Hee told Soo once they’d left the estate behind the next day. With a groom following along, the two girls rode out over the hills, Soo taking a slower pace to allow her sister to keep up easily. Myung Hee appreciated this; she was more comfortable in the saddle, but still a little anxious considering the fall she had in the past.  She was a little annoyed that Soo found out about Baek Ah’s royalty before she did, but after her sister explained that he’d wanted to be the one to tell her himself, she was forgiven for not saying anything.

“That’s wonderful!” Soo cried out happily. “Oh I just know he’ll say yes. Baek Ah’s such a good man, he’ll treat you very well.”

“But the palace is so far away, I’ll miss you and Father.” Myung Hee’s heart was still dancing after Baek Ah’s confession last night; well, the first confession at least. The second confession, the one about his real identity, brought more relief rather than joy. She didn’t care about a crown. She’d rather be a poor but happy wife than a lonely princess. Her father would be more inclined to accept the suit of a prince than a stable worker though.

“Maybe you two could live here, or nearby. Baek Ah doesn’t seem like he enjoys palace life that much, or he wouldn’t have left. I bet Father wouldn’t mind if you stayed here.”

This was true. Baek Ah enjoyed the simpler joys in life too much to be happy cooped up in a palace, it was one of the things she liked about him. The General had never said so, but he must have regretted not having a son to pass his estate on to. And he was getting older. It would be good for them to stay here and take care of him. Myung Hee thought this was a good idea, and she bet Baek Ah would like it too.

“I like that. We’ll talk to Father about it.”

“Oh I’m so excited. You’re going to be a princess! And with the nicest prince for a husband. It’s just like a fairytale.”

Myung Hee didn’t wish for a life like a story. They often didn’t end well, and even when they did, the hardships that the characters faced along the way were things she wouldn’t wish on anyone, least of all herself. But she loved Baek Ah, and he was low enough in the grand scheme of things that she thought they could have a relatively simple and happy life together.

“And you will be the sister of a princess. Maybe we can find you a good husband among Baek Ah’s brothers, he certainly has enough of them.”

“Nooo…I’m too young to marry. And I’d go nuts living in a palace. I’d probably say the wrong thing to the King and get my head chopped off.”

“Or maybe he’d be so shocked at such a wild girl talking to him like that, that he’d marry you himself!”

“EW! No way. I’d never marry an old man like that. Hey! You come back here. Princess Myung Hee!”

With that, Soo started chasing her sister but Myung Hee just raced ahead, her joy causing her laughter to ring out behind her.

Neither of them saw the rider approaching nearby.

0-o-o-o-0

It was in the middle of spring and the weather was especially fine. The sky was so blue as if it had just been cleansed with water. You could smell the flowers in the light breeze. It felt so comfortable….

He went riding out ahead. They’d traveled for days and they were almost at their destination, but it was a beautiful day and the Eighth Prince Wang Wook wanted a little time to himself.

It was nice to get away from the palace for a while; he loved his mother and sister, but life there could be stifling sometimes and it was a pleasure to be out in the fresh air and scenery around him. He was looking forward to seeing General Hae again. The military matters his royal father sent him to discuss were important, but the General was a good man and it would be nice to see him. There was the other matter as well, but…they’d see.

He could see the estate off in the distance and as he approached, he saw two young women on horses go by. They didn’t see him, seemingly caught up in their conversation, but as he watched, one of them raced ahead. The sound of her laughter reached him in the wind, like a string of bells, and it was filled with so much happiness that Wook couldn’t help but laugh himself, a smile spreading across his face. He watched her ride, mesmerized. Her joy brought such a beauty to her face. He wanted to know what made her so happy, wanted to create that kind of joy in her so he could share in it.

Having come to a halt, he watched the girls ride on, not even noticing when his men joined them.

“Do you know who they are?” Wook asked one of them.

The man, who was originally from this area, shook his head. “No Your Highness. But since we’re this close to the General’s estate, they probably belong to his household.”

Wook smiled. This made sense. But they were too well-dressed to be servants. Maybe these were the daughters of the house? He knew the General had two.

His other business not seeming so bad now, he rode on ahead, wanting to meet the General and find out if what he hoped was true.

0-o-o-o-0

“Brother! I didn’t know you were here. So this is where you’ve been hiding.” Wook exclaimed, stepping forward to embrace the younger prince when he entered the General’s library. Baek Ah hugged his brother, cursing his bad luck that they’d arrived so soon. He was supposed to talk to Myung Hee’s father about marrying her today, and he glanced at the General only to see a shadow of regret in his eyes.

They drew apart, and Baek Ah smiled a little ruefully. “Well, traveling has been fun, but not in the snow. The General was nice enough to let me stay with him and his family for the winter.”

“Yes, it has been very pleasant to have His Highness’s company over the winter.” General Hae said. “I thought he would be on his way again when spring came, but we are fortunate enough that he is still here for you to see each other again, Your Highness.”

Wook beamed at him. “I’m very glad to see you Brother. This is a fortunate meeting, for I have great news. Father has sent me with a proposal for General Hae, and happily he has accepted. Wish me well, Brother, for I am going to marry his oldest daughter, Hae Myung Hee.”

Baek Ah looked at the General, stunned, but saw that there was to be no help there. And why would he? Why would General Hae give his eldest daughter to a lower status family like his, when he could tie her to the Hwangbos and ensure a prosperous future for her?

So this is why you were so anxious for me to leave… Baek Ah thought bitterly.

“Congratulations, Brother.” He said to Wook, but the words tasted like ashes in his mouth.