final, maybe

Another Pretty Face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon never had the best memory but somehow, the conversation she had with a girl at the bookstore had stayed with her. Maybe it was how ridiculously pretty the girl was. Maybe it was how the girl’s voice, despite how soft, was very distinct. Maybe it was the spontaneity of the girl recommending her some books and poems to read. Whatever it was, Nayeon’s mind dwelled on the imagination of the “Pretty Bookstore Girl”. It wasn’t long before Nayeon pushed the thought of her to the back of her mind. She was probably just another girl she’d meet only once. It wasn’t foreign to her. Nayeon had always been the type to romanticise a fantasy with a pretty or handsome stranger she’d see on the streets, so it was easy to brush the thoughts off.

 

Weeks past and the Pretty Bookstore Girl was long forgotten and replaced by many beautiful strangers she’d encountered. She was constantly out and about, running to and from her countless part time jobs. Being a college dropout was hard on her. Her parents had disowned her when they found out about her decision to discontinue studying. They did not have it in themselves to accept the “failure” that she was. Of course, this wasn’t new to her as her parents had always been ambitious. She’d been expected to be a doctor or lawyer like her parents were. Nayeon had other plans. 

 

It took a lot for Nayeon to be honest with herself. First with her uality and then her ambitions in life. She had always been interested in writing and drawing. It was something she enjoyed in the rare occasion that is her free time. However, she had always pushed it to the back of her mind as a result of the pressure her parents had put on her.

 

Breaking free from the boundaries and expectations set by her overbearing parents was the start of finally being happy (or being herself). This meant the sudden independence and bankruptcy. For the first few months being free from her dictatorship, she spent it on her best friend Jeongyeon’s couch. Jeongyeon’s house was too crowded to have free bed space, considering that the girl would always have girls over. Over time, Nayeon could finally support herself financially with multiple part time jobs. She felt lonely at times, especially when she stayed over at Jeongyeon’s house but she would channel the negativity into writing and it made her happy. No matter the struggle, she thought it was worth it as long as she gets to do what she wanted. 

 

It was 2.26am at the convenience store when Nayeon heard the bell chime, signalling the arrival of a late night visitor. Nayeon looked up slightly from the book she had been reading for the past hour to glance at the stranger. She squinted her eyes slightly at the suspicious figure. The stranger had worn an oversized hoodie with the hood up, identification made impossible. Nayeon raised her eyebrows as she watched the stranger walk with a sway towards the aisle full of chocolate. The stranger sluggishly made their way to the counter after grabbing 3 chocolate bars. 

 

“A pack of cigarettes,” the stranger said with their hoarse voice as they dropped the bars on the counter.

 

Nayeon frowned at the rowdy stranger before clearing , “IC, and I’m gonna need you to put your hood down.”

 

The stranger heavily sighed and pulled their wallet out to show their IC before pulling down their hood. A sharp inhalation escaped Nayeon’s mouth as she saw the stranger’s face.

 

It wasn’t easy for Nayeon to remember people but she was sure that this was the Pretty Bookstore Girl. The short conversation they had about a book - the book she bought and was currently reading - was somehow a random fragment of memory she had in her head. What was even more surprising was that the girl had a fresh cut on her eyebrow. She handed Nayeon her card, keeping her head down.

 

“Myoui Mina?” Nayeon whispered to herself.

 

Of course Mina would have heard that. It was dead silent at this time of the night. Mina quickly averted her eyes to look at Nayeon’s face. 

 

“You’re pretty,” Mina slurred out, making Nayeon visibly jump.

 

Nayeon blushed as she looked at the girl who could barely keep her eyes open. 

 

“T- Thanks. I- I’ll ring these up for you, Mina,” Nayeon blushed harder at how she was blushing. 

 

Mina had a slight smile as she handed her card to pay for her cravings. She silently watched Nayeon and was slowly sobering up. 

 

“Thanks, Nayeon,” Mina smirked as she took the bad of her recent purchase from Nayeon.

 

Nayeon awkwardly smiled and gave finger guns, “It was a pleasure.”

 

Nayeon facepalmed herself as sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter