the end

The Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sweetie, be nice to our neighbours.” Her mom spoke from the front seat as she ran her hand through Gucci’s hair. The Chou family was currently driving to their new house in Korea. Tzuyu, being the twelve-year-old girl, she did not approve of this decision but her father received a job promotion so she had no chance— or quote on quote what her mother said. “You’re moving with us, Chou Tzuyu! Unless you want to stay here and starve, and you’ll eventually have no choice but to eat Gucci.” Tzuyu shivers at the flashback as she stares at Gucci in pity. She would never eat her dog! Tzuyu would lose her humanity if she did that. The family of four arrived and her brother stepped out of the car to stretch his arms out. Her parents went inside their new house to look around if there were any concerns to be dealt with. They were that type of parents. 

 

“I don’t get what was wrong with dad’s job before?” Tzuyu spoke in a salty tone and her brother laughs at her. Gucci also had the same look as Tzuyu let her travel their property and Gucci was sniffing everywhere. 

 

“C’mon Chocolate.” Her brother uses her nickname to calm her down. He wraps an arm around her as they face their new house. “It’s not bad and plus we’re able to do more things here!” He exclaims as he admires their new house. Gucci comes back from “exploring” and her brother pats her head. “Now, we have to go greet the neighbours. It’s a Korean tradition.” Tzuyu rolls her eyes at her brother, who continues to laugh in her face and Gucci follows the siblings to the neighbour’s house. Tzuyu’s brother was always the playful type— the kind who never gives her a break, but at the end of the day, he was always the brother Tzuyu loves. They knock at the door and Tzuyu realizes something. 

 

“My dear brother.” Tzuyu smirks as she realized what they had gotten themselves into. “Don’t we need to meet the neighbours with a gift?” She savagely asks and her brother froze when he looks down at his empty hands. Although Tzuyu was twelve-years-old, that wasn’t going to stop her from her blunt personality. 

 

“It’s okay. We’ll just give Gucci.” Tzuyu glares at her brother, who raises his hands in defeat. Gucci whines at the offer, completely understanding the whole conversation. “Maybe, if we leave now. They won’t notice!” Her brother nervously whispers and they both turn around until they heard the door open and a high-pitched voice calls out for them. 

 

“Hello?” They both turn around to see a little girl with light brown hair, who seemed to be around Tzuyu’s age. She had a slight accent which meant that she must be a foreigner as well. The girl smiles at the two and Tzuyu’s brother smiles back out of kindness, meanwhile Tzuyu remains emotionless. 

 

“Uh… Hello. We are your neighbours…” Her brother spoke out in his basic Korean. “My name is Jung-kook.” He slowly says and he gestures for Tzuyu to introduce herself. 

 

“Tzuyu.” She bluntly says, shocking the girl who now had wide eyes. The sounds of face palms could be heard as Jungkook should’ve realized that this would have happened. In all honesty, Tzuyu wanted to say more than one word but there was something about the girl that seemed so… Weird. 

 

“My name is Sana.” She formally bowed. “Welcome to the neighbourhood. Should I get my parents?— “ 

 

“We would love that, Sana!” Mr.Chou exclaims as he held a basket filled with goodies. Their parents appeared from their house and the Chou siblings let out a sigh of relief from seeing the gift. “My name is Mr.Chou and this is my wife, Miss Chou.” He hands the basket to Sana, which is like half the size of her. 

 

“We hope that we’ll be good neighbours to you.” Miss Chou says in a sincere tone and Tzuyu wants to vomit from all of this formal stuff. She just wants to play with Gucci— who is just obediently sitting beside Tzuyu like the good girl she is. Sana calls out for her parents and they do the whole formal introduction again, and the Minatozaki’s invited the Chou family in their house. Miss Chou looks at Gucci who tilts her head in confusion, having no idea of what to do now. “Oh— I’m sure Gucci can just sit outside and play with herself.” Tzuyu immediately pouts at the offer and whined out like the little kid she was. 

 

“But mom!” Tzuyu slightly stomps her foot and Jungkook covers his mouth, trying not to laugh. His sister really loved her dog. Sana tilts her head intrigued in this ‘Tzuyu’ person— she wasn’t like anyone else. Mr.Minatozaki notices this and was about to speak to say that it was okay for Gucci to come in, but Miss Chou beats him to it.

 

“No, Tzuyu! You can play with Sana.” She says in a stern tone and quickly smiles in apology at the Minatozaki family. “I’m sorry about that. Tzuyu really loves her dog.” 

 

“Damn right, she does.” Jungkook mutters, earning a light hit on the head by his father. The Minatozaki family share an amused look as they watched Jungkook get scolded— the Chou family was really an interesting family. Tzuyu quickly waves at Gucci as she was pushed further into the house and forced to play with Sana as their parents and Jungkook had "adult" talk. Since Jungkook was sixteen-years-old, he was practically mature. Sana kept staring at Tzuyu as if she was an alien and it was ticking the young girl off. 

 

“Can you stop that?” Tzuyu calmly asks and Sana gasps to herself. 

 

“You can speak Korean?” She whispers in a soft tone and Tzuyu resists the urge to roll her eyes. She totally forgot that she was speaking in Chinese to her mother in front of the neighbours. 

 

“Only a little…” Tzuyu says, aware of the fact that Sana is watching her every move. Sana hums to herself as she moves closer to Tzuyu on the couch. Tzuyu immediately scoots down to the end of the couch, not wanting to be near Sana. 

 

“Where are you from?” Sana asks as she huffed in frustration that Tzuyu didn’t even want to be near her. She stopped and sat a good meter away from Tzuyu on the couch. The girl looks straight ahead, not meeting Sana’s eyes. 

 

“I’m from Taiwan.” Tzuyu was never good at making conversations and Sana smiles, showing all of her teeth. Tzuyu looks over and notices how Sana looked so… Positive. 

 

“Well, I’m from Japan. If you need help, maybe I can be your Korean tutor?” Sana offers, baffling Tzuyu from the sudden offer. She frantically shakes her head. 

 

“I don’t need a Korean tutor… Thanks.” She looks away, looking anywhere else other than at Sana and the Japanese pouted in disappointment— she just wants to make friends with her new neighbour. A lightbulb pops up above her head as she thought of an idea. 

 

“Want to go play with your dog?” Tzuyu’s head snaps at Sana and she looks at her with wide eyes. Sana smiles at her as Tzuyu’s mouth gapes at her. 

 

“S-seriously?” She asks in disbelief and Sana nods at her like a bobblehead. “I-I guess… If you want to.” Tzuyu stutters out, getting the assurance that Sana really wants to play with her dog. Sana nods again as she grabs Tzuyu’s hand and they walk outside her house to see Gucci who is patiently waiting for Tzuyu. The dog immediately jumps into her arms as she snuggles her. Sana smiles at the sight. 

 

“I never asked, but how old are you?” Sana asked as she hesitantly places her hand on Gucci’s head. Tzuyu looks up from her dog and looks into Sana’s eyes as she genuinely smiled for the first time. 

 

“I’m twelve. How about you?” Tzuyu asked in return and Sana excitedly claps her hands. 

 

“I’m one year older than you! That must mean we’ll see each other a lot in school!” Sana cheerfully smiles and Tzuyu shows a fake smile. She wasn’t a big fan of school, but if Sana was there… Maybe her mind would change. 

 

—— 

 

Tzuyu lets out a loud groan as she waited for Sana on her lawn with Gucci. She was forced by her parents to walk with Sana to school since they were attending the same one. Jungkook is in high school and he chose to not walk with the two to tease Tzuyu. Her and Gucci laid on the green grass as they stared at the blue skies. It was a really nice day. 

 

“Tzuyu?” Sana called out and Tzuyu sat up with her hair all dishevelled. Sana starts to giggle uncontrollably at her hair and Tzuyu lets out a huff. This was going to be a very long walk. They began to walk on the sidewalks towards school and Sana noticed Gucci following the two. 

 

“Shouldn’t Gucci be at home?” Sana asked as the dog brushed past her leg and Tzuyu shakes her head in response. 

 

“No. Gucci likes walking and she’s good at directions. She even waits for me after school.” Tzuyu says like it’s nothing— as if her dog wasn’t practically human. Sana’s mouth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter