prologue

Pricked by the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

//prologue//

*trigger warning: violence & gore*

//

 

The sound of leaves crinkling under the autumn sun echo throughout the forest, accompanied by the heavy steps that move in no urgency. The woman's face is drawn in a frown as she continues treading a familiar path, being one she frequents whenever her mind is troubled.

 

The lull of the nearby stream and the sway of the trees bring the raven-haired woman to a state of peace. When the world was changing around her, this mountain stayed the same. There were no modern day disturbances, no one to bother her or voice their suspicions about the reserved girl who kept to herself. She didn't have to learn anything new up here because unlike the world below, the forest remained her oyster of serenity with remnants of her past.

 

Seulgi was never ordinary, no.

 

She was raised by a shaman, for starters and was never allowed to interact with the common folk or know of her true identity until it was dangerously too late.

 

A sigh escapes her lips and she examines the piece of jewelry on her wrist. The jade bracelet rests there with every tick of the clock, ever since that night when her entire world shifted and Seulgi became a prisoner to her inner beast. She remembers it so clearly that she finds herself lost in the past, once again.

 

 

 

"Kang Seulgi!" The voice boomed as it continued, "Where are you? I need you to fetch me bramble by the creek!" The woman with gray streaks in her hair waited briefly for a response before shaking her head in disappointment. She stoked the small fire in front of her, muttered a prayer, and placed an offering to the spirits of the mountain onto the flames.

 

The dancing embers quickly changed colors from orange to green and if the shaman had blinked, she would have missed it.

 

"I am here!" A panting Seulgi huffed out her words and cheekily smiled at her mother, who was on the verge of another scolding.

 

"I told you not to stray too far. It is an auspicious day and the forest has been whispering tirelessly." The older woman walked inside the shack before continuing. "The night is dangerous and more so for the likes of us shamans. "

 

"But, I am not a shaman yet!" The quip earned Seulgi a glare.

 

"No. And you will never be one, my dear child."

 

The raven-haired girl let out a groan as she placed the firewood she had collected onto the ground. Every inch of the interior walls were covered in talismans, each yellow parchment imbued with varying symbols and characters in bright red ink.

 

Seulgi was always a curious one and growing up in the home of her closed-off shaman mother did not help. For instance, Seulgi had no clue who her father was. Her mother never mentioned him and when asked, responses were short and riddled with vague messages like, "You will know when fate lets you."

 

Seulgi was 21 years old now and lost a strand of patience every time her mother's responses provided no clarity. The younger woman wanted to know so many things.

 

Why couldn't she join her mother on her treks to villages and clients? Why did she have to live a life of such solitude and loneliness, a life filled with questions never to be answered?

 

"I do not understand why you will not make me your apprentice. Am I not enough for you?" Seulgi tried to hide the hurt in her plea. She just wanted to be a part of her mother's world. 

 

"You will lower your voice, young lady. Now, be on your way for me." The shaman dismissed her outcry and continued taking inventory of the assortment of materials and ingredients in the small cottage’s corner. "And, remember you must return before the full moon rises."

 

Her mother's deflection left a bitter taste in Seulgi's mouth but before she could dwell on it, another thought popped into her head. That's right! Tonight was the Daeboreum holiday and that meant the local village was going to celebrate it with a large fire and throws of coal, ringing in the first full moon of the year with good fortune and prayers of a bountiful season. 

 

It was Seulgi's favorite holiday because she was able to see the great embers from afar, always respecting her mother's command of not mingling with the villagers. So, Seulgi bid her mother a quick farewell and scurried as fast as she could to complete her errand. 

 

When the bushel was full, Seulgi however did not carry herself back up the mountain. Instead, she dusted her hands and legs and made her way towards the village. The farmers should have been starting the fire right about now. 

 

Seulgi picked up her pace and felt sparks of joy at the sight of smoke in the distance. It was mesmerizing, watching the smoke rise into the darkening sky with flickers of orange and yellow dancing in the soft wind. 

 

The girl was so captivated that when she collided into something, her first thought was that she walked into another tree. Although, trees don't make noise and Seulgi recalled the trunks being a lot more solid and less forgiving than what she just experienced. 

 

Seulgi blinked and stared blankly at the bramble that had been scattered from the collision, still not processing what she hit. Then, a groan made her blink again and oh, dear. That was a person on the floor! Seulgi quickly helped the girl up and repeatedly apologized. 

 

"Please forgive me, I was being careless!" Seulgi bowed, afraid to make eye contact because she had never come into such proximity with another person besides her mother. 

 

"I am quite alright! You can lift your head, Miss." The voice was like a lull that immediately pulled Seulgi's eyes up to the source of it. 

 

Pretty. 

 

The other girl was shorter than Seulgi and smiled with kindness lining her lips. Her hair was pinned up but Seulgi could tell she was not a noble from the worn shoes on her feet. 

 

"I am at fault too, I should have made some noise or called for your attention." The girl meekly bowed her head and Seulgi suddenly felt shy. 

 

"I should get going now, my apologies again." Seulgi was a second away from turning on her heel before the melodic voice stopped her.

 

"Did you not come to see the Daeboreum festivities? The farmers have just lit the fire." The unnamed girl had her eyebrows knitted and curiosity shaping her eyes as she pointed at the smoke and flames rising from the village. 

 

"No, I was merely passing through." Seulgi clutched the bushel close to her chest. The words of her mother echoed briefly, warning her to stay away from the common folk. The girl adhered to the strict rules the moment they were taught to her, so why was there hesitance brewing inside? Seulgi took a step backwards. 

 

"Well, then perhaps you should take a look around since you are nearly there already?" The girl smiled brightly and Seulgi stood frozen, unable to collect her thoughts as an arm was laced around her own. 

 

"My name is Son Seungwan. And you?" Seungwan turned and smiled once more. Seulgi was captivated from the close proximity, mindlessly letting her name slip from her parted lips. 

 

"Kang Seulgi."

 

"Ah, that is a cute name. Come, Seulgi! Let us hurry before they run out of charcoal!" Seungwan dragged Seulgi beyond the village gates and through the crowds of people who were buzzing with excitement.

 

It was a stark contrast from the stillness of the forest. Voices were loud,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter