Minyeo

Gold Pearl

 

 

The banging of the door caused Baekhyun and the woman to face in that direction. “What’s going on here? I heard hyung screaming.”

 

“Oh Sehun, Baekhyun is just a little confused and won’t let me near him. It must have been from what he went through,” the woman said.

 

“No, no I’m not confused.”

 

Sehun looked between Baekhyun and the woman. He squinted his eyes at her and said, “Minyeo, why don’t you leave hyung and I for a little bit.”

 

Minyeo looked at him and hesitantly slid off the bed. Before she could squeeze between him and the door, Sehun stepped aside and gave her a large berth. As soon as she was out, a strong breeze started from the wall and circled around  Baekhyun then Sehun. After making its rounds, the wind rushed out, closing the door with a loud bang. 

 

“Sorry about that. This room just smells too much like the pungent smell of that woman. I really don’t understand what you see in her.”

 

“What are you talking about Sehun? I don’t know that woman.”

 

“Hyung, don’t tell me you’ve forgotten the woman who’s been sharing your bed for the last five years?”

 

“Five years, five years...why do I keep hearing that it’s been five years when it feels like yesterday that I was escaping from the ship in the dead of night to meet up with Jinju?” Baekhyun said frantically as he squeezed his temples between his palms.

 

“Jinju?” Sehun quirked an eyebrow. “Are you talking about the healer’s assistant? If she’s who you’re looking for, she’s onboard with the healer having a meeting with Chen and Suho.”

 

“Jinju? My Jinju is onboard?”

 

Hearing the possessive way Baekhyun said her name, Sehun couldn’t help but have multiple questions swimming in his head. Before he could ask any of them, he saw Baekhyun bolting out the door. “Hyung! You’re in no condition to be running around. Come back here,” he sighed and lazily walked after him. 

 

~~~*~~~

 

Jinju followed behind Lay as they walked up to the gigantic ship towering over them. “Lay you don’t have to do this,” she said.

 

“It’s not something you can do alone.”

 

“But I thought you were against this idea?”

 

“Yes, but my opinion changed.”

 

“But I feel bad because it seems like I forced you.”

 

Lay gave her a curt glance and said, “Look Jinju, like you said, I have been in love before so I do understand the need for self-sacrifice. I am choosing to help you out, you did not force me. Do you think Suho would let you travel with them if you don’t give him an incentive?”

 

“They’re good friends, I’m sure Baekhyun’s wellbeing is important to him.”

 

“That may be true but the man has a lot of pride. Baekhyun would need to be on the verge of death before Suho agrees to what you’re planning.”

 

“What if the mermaid wasn’t telling the truth. She’s already lied twice.”

 

“This time I think she was telling the truth. When I gave my crystal up, it wasn’t enough to sustain life. What if I had constantly provided energy to it? Maybe I could’ve kept my friend alive,” Lay said with a far away look.

 

“Hey, what are you two doing here?” they heard a voice say from above. After looking up, they saw Chen leaning over the railings.

 

“We’ve come to speak to your captain,” Lay said confidently.

 

Chen threw a hanging ladder over the railing and yelled, “Come on up!”

 

~~~*~~~

 

“I will only agree to join you if you allow me to bring Jinju,” Lay negotiated with Suho.

 

Suho looked toward the said woman. Jinju was currently huddling behind Lay to avoid his piercing gaze. “Sorry, but no women allowed.”

 

“I can assure you that Jinju will be a great help to me. And I refuse to come if she doesn’t.”

 

At that exact moment, Jinju heard feet stomping and “Suho!” Jinju turned back to see Baekhyun running in their direction. He passed her by and stopped in front of Suho. “Suho, I heard Jinju was onboard. Where is she?”

 

“Baekhyun?” Jinju whispered but he heard her and immediately turned back.

 

He stared at her with confusion, until she noticed his eyes twinkle in understanding. “Jinju?” he asked as if he wasn’t sure. After Jinju nodded her head in confirmation, Baekhyun put a hand on her left cheek. He intimately studied her and gently guided his fingers along her face until he reached her scar. “What happened to you?” he sadly looked at her. Next, he twirled a few strands of hair in between his fingers, “You had your hair cut.”

 

“Baekhyun!” they heard a woman’s voice screech, “What are you doing!”

 

“Are you telling me the woman I am seeing at the moment is a mere apparition?” Lay decided to take advantage of the situation when he saw a woman with long black hair angrily approaching from behind Suho and Chen.

 

“Nope, Minyeo is definitely real,” Chen admitted.

 

“Then women are allowed onboard your ship or is it just this woman? Did you bring her in to warm your bed?” Lay questioned Suho obnoxiously.

 

“We actually all sleep on hammocks...” Chen interjected, “except Baekhyun. He was the one who brought her.”

 

The revelation shocked Jinju, she looked away from Baekhyun and saw Chen looking at her sympathetically. Whenever Baekhyun came on shore to Baram, he brought with him either Suho or Chen. She realized early on that Suho did not approve of her so she tried as much as she could to disregard his presence. Chen on the other hand, Chen was always friendly so a friendship developed between the two of them. Chen knew that his words would be a big surprise to her.

 

But she wasn’t the only one, even Baekhyun turned toward Chen with surprise, confusion written all over his face. “What are you talking about Chen? I did no such thing,” he denied. Before he could say anything else, the woman pushed Jinju away.

 

“Yah Minyeo, what’s your problem?” Chen tried to stop her from getting closer to Jinju.

 

“That woman is trying to seduce my Baekhyun!” she yelled with an accusatory finger pointed at Jinju.

 

“I can assure you that I did no such thing,” Jinju said while Lay helped her up.

 

“You liar! I clearly saw with my eyes. Baekhyun only looks at me! You must have done something to him!”

 

“Enough!” Baekhyun interrupted her loud whining. “Look Minyeo or whoever you are, stop accusing Jinju of something she didn’t do. And I’ve never seen you in my whole life.”

 

Jinju looked skeptically at him. Who did she believe, Baekhyun or Chen? Who was really telling the truth about this woman. She desperately wanted to believe Baekhyun, but could this woman be the reason why he left without a word five years ago.

 

“That’s not true!” Minyeo got away from Chen and stepped toward Baekhyun. “What’s wrong with you? It’s me Minyeo. The woman you love, remember,” she shook him in frustration. 

 

“I think Jinju and I will come back at another time,” Lay quickly guided Jinju toward the ladder.

 

“Let me go!” Baekhyun tried to free himself from Minyeo’s firm grip. “Wait don’t go!” he reached out in their direction but Lay disregarded his words and helped the still shocked Jinju down the ladder.