My Kind of Pink

My Kind of Pink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo woke up to a mayhem. His half-siblings are all over each other already and it wasn’t even eight o’clock yet. There was some kind of roughhousing on the bed to his right, a pillow fight has ensued on his left and five people are screaming at each other by the foot of his bed. It wasn’t even hard to know what they were arguing about, not when they are screaming at the top of their lungs in an attempt to emphasize their order of using the communal baths.

 

 

But then, he had already endured years of this. Also, it’s not like he could just up and about and hide when he was the appointed House Head and became responsible for the brats that surrounded him. Maybe he could demand that they groom his room ASAP to get away from this unnecessary ruckus. He could be persuasive when he wants to be. A little glare and a deadpan expression would suffice.

 

Besides, this is an easy matter to fix.

 

He slowly stretched his limbs and yawned exaggeratedly. He smirked to himself when he got the reaction that he was expecting. The room grew quiet, sans the sound of shuffling feet moving away from him. It was possible that these brats have forgotten that he was there. Well, too bad because Kyungsoo won’t let this slip, not when he could feel a budding headache because of being woken up against his will.

 

He was more awake than he let on, making his glare even more effective when he opened his eyes and fixed his expression into an annoyed one. It was effortless but they didn’t need to know that the frown marring his forehead was mostly caused by his bad eyesight. Gasps echoed through the room and more scrambling noises filled it. It took only seconds for the room to go as quiet as it could be.

 

Being a son of Ares has its perks and being Do Kyungsoo was an added bonus. These spawns of the god of war couldn’t help but be tamed around the god’s most favorite son. It was still early to let out his ‘darkness’, as Chanyeol would refer to, but still, it’s too early for him to be dealing with their .

 

Looking around, the blanket covered lumps were still breathing but they all know better than to do anything that might train Kyungsoo’s attention on them. Formidable Ares’ children have been instilled fear out of respect for their father but developed the same feeling for their now House Head. Kyungsoo would be lying if he says that he doesn’t like it. It makes things easier for him and it gets things done so he wouldn’t be complaining.

 

Since the coast was pretty clear, he figured out that he will take dibs on the showers first.

 

 

 

 

 

Hoplology makes no sense, Kyungsoo thinks. Not when he knows how gods could influence fighting to lead into healthy competitiveness and show of sportsmanship or into something violent and fearsome. They say that all humans have innate violent nature and could only be triggered by environmental catalysts. Kyungsoo could name a few persons there too though.

 

The class dragged for so long and Kyungsoo rushed out of his seat as soon as they were dismissed. Learning about how mortals deal with the gods in a logical way is pointless, especially if you know that there is a big hocus-pocus happening behind every phenomenon. Unlike many demigods, Kyungsoo is one of the many who has known all his life about the gods and goddesses that have  been associated with myths. Most mortal parents try to keep their children away from the world of the powerful as much as possible but Kyungsoo’s weren’t given much choice.

 

So there he was, an almost twenty-one year old demigod who has been in the premises of D Academy for almost two decades already. And yet, he still has something new to learn each day.

 

“What’s gotten your in a twist, Soo?”

 

The unwelcome greeting was followed by a heavy, lanky arm draped on his shoulders and an annoyingly creepy smile that blocked his line of sight. It was Park Chanyeol from the Hephaestus House and one of the two people Kyungsoo could call as his friends, if he follows the societal definition of the word. If said society had given Kyungsoo a choice, he would not be calling Park Chanyeol  a friend because the giant fire-controlling oaf follows his own definition of friends.

 

Years of combat training has sharpened Kyungsoo’s senses, even more so as Ares’ children are always hardwired for battle so Oh Sehun, child of the Underworld, sliding right next to them didn’t go unnoticed. He has been vocal about his preference for the latter due to his quiet demeanor and Sehun was as obvious as he possibly could of his preference for Kyungsoo but Park Chanyeol is as relentless as a wildfire, looping the two most feared people in D Academy into his self-made circle of friends.

 

“Hi, hyung,” Sehun greeted Kyungsoo with a timid smile. It looks non-existent to most people but not to those who have been around Sehun long enough to know all of his expressions (which aren’t that many in the first place).

 

“How was your day, Sehun?”

 

A loud ugly sob attracted the attention of all the people in the quadrangle where the trio has convened. The usual reaction of the people were, of course, to scram away as far as possible lest Park Chanyeol is upset enough to burn anything within a 10-meter radius. But really, it was just Chanyeol and his usual dramatic self, begging for attention. In all honesty, these episodes are harmless. Too bad, being part of the Trouble Trio warrants a reaction no less than fear.

 

“I am here, you two! How dare you ignore me?”

 

Chanyeol may be dumb like this but no one else looks past that. All they could see is the strongest son of Hephaestus and a walking fire hazard. It was a sad reality that Kyungsoo still can’t fully accept but have been tolerating since he understood enough. Good thing Chanyeol is also a big ball of positivity, enough for the three of them that makes things bearable.

 

Those ignorant cowards can hide all they want and Kyungsoo hasn’t given s about it for years.

 

But Kyungsoo has never been fond of attention, friendly or otherwise, so he got the son of the fire god to shut up with a glare, his infamous killer glare.

 

“Sehun!”

 

The son of Hades was about as helpful as nothing, with a resting face and judging eyes. Before Chanyeol could embarrass himself and scare off more people, Kyungsoo took the matter in his own hands, literally hauling Chanyeol away with a firm grip on his bicep and speed walked across the grass field, ending their little show.

 

 

 

 

 

The spectacle from earlier now forgotten, Kyungsoo has a smile on his face as he rereads the message he has just received on his phone. His room has been prepared already and he could transfer as soon as he gets back to the Ares’ House, says the message. Finally some peace, he thought with a smile as he traversed down the pathway that would lead him towards his residence. The dominantly red colored building is too tacky for his taste but there is only so much that he could do about it.

 

He has tried persuading his father about changing the color into something tamer but the god looked so offended that Kyungsoo’s knees trembled. He remembered apologizing multiple times until his father clapped him on the back with a guffaw and ruffled his hair.

 

As he neared the entrance, he spotted someone coming out from their neighbor House, the elegant but hideously pink Aphrodite’s House. The thankful thought of not having to endure that much pink in his life and feeling content over all the red crossed his mind. His father would be over the moon and Artemis’ business if he says that out loud.

 

Kyungsoo’s steps faltered though when he spotted an odd pink detached from the house. He could never remember when he has started to be especially aware of that specific pink but all he remembers is how weird his reaction is towards it. The soft pink found on top of the head of the new House Head for Aphrodite has always made Kyungsoo catch his breath. Somehow, that pink doesn’t make him want to puke for gross reasons.

 

Well, that could be debatable, if Kyungsoo ever acknowledges such reasons.

 

With his goal all-red and looming over him, the son of Ares hastened his pace, shifting his thoughts towards his very own quarters and the bubbling excitement over his solitude. He was more or less successful until the call of his name popped his peace balloon and the blasted thumping on his chest returned.

 

“...soo! Hey, Kyungsoo, wait up!”

 

Some weird instinct kicked in and Kyungsoo is spinning on his heels to face the owner of the baby pink hair, the one and only Kim Jongin, son of Aphrodite and a House Head like himself.

 

If Kyungsoo will be asked to describe the guy he will say that he is okay, nothing special, the guy with the pink hair or a typical child of the goddess of love and beauty which is the most subtle way of describing him as the literal personification of the phrase tall, dark and handsome.

 

He’s jogging towards Kyungsoo with a big pretty smile on his face. He may not be the nicest person around but Kyungsoo isn’t rude. He waited for the son of Aphrodite and tried to control the abnormal heart rate caused by the same person stopping in front of him and running his fingers through his soft-looking hair.

 

Kyungsoo could’ve asked the reason why Jongin has called him but the risk of doing something that he might regret is high so he settled with a questioning quirk of his eyebrow. He and Jongin never really interact, what with Kyungsoo’s lack of social skills (his barely-there skills was forced into him by Chanyeol) and Jongin’s half-siblings are easily scared by him. His darkness affecting them more than the other demigods.

 

Such babies.

 

“Kyungsoo, can I… can I ask you something?”

 

The son of Ares is mostly confused. The question sounded normal but Jongin’s shuffling his weight from foot to foot awkwardly and his gaze turned away from Kyungsoo when the latter tried to be polite and look the other into his eyes. He didn’t even mind his own reaction to Jongin’s presence and played everything by the ear.

 

“Well?” Kyungsoo prompted when the silence stretched between them. His peaceful thoughts were easily scattered by the turmoil in his gut and he just want to go up to his temporary bed and pack up. He couldn’t wait to lay on his bed and simply rest.

 

He saw Jongin gulp nervously and his eyes trailed up from his neck to the cleft on his chin and up to his nose until their eyes finally met.

 

“Can I… ask you out on a d-date, Kyungsoo?”

 

The words made no sense to Kyungsoo. The words date and Kyungsoo have never been used in a single sentence before. His confusion was upped even more and he already half-expects someone or the whole Aphrodite House to come out of the bushes and tell him that he was a victim of a practical joke. Though why would they dare when they pissed in their pants when he so much as look at their direction?

 

Jongin was looking at him expectantly and ah, so Jongin was waiting for him to give a cue on his punchline?

 

“O--kay?”

 

Then life was a blur. Kyungsoo could only remember bits and pieces where he heard Jongin shout something, then he felt warm and tingly all over and the last bit was feeling something soft against his lips. When he came back to his senses, the pink-haired demigod was skipping back towards his House. Kyungsoo stood frozen until he heard Jongin yell, “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 7, Soo!”

 

Where was the punchline? He wondered as his feet moved on auto-pilot towards his own House.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo could feel his head throb. His day went like a usual one; him having to bark at his half-siblings (this time during breakfast), him having to put up with Chanyeol’s incessant demands of company, him checking up on Sehun when the son of Hades has spaced out for more than twice in a span of three hours and then doing his House Head duties more than what his academic requirements demands from him.

 

It wasn’t easy to deal with all his everyday.

 

His best motivation at the moment is his peace and quiet in his room so he marched with purpose towards the Ares’ House and plopped down on his bed, face first. Kyungsoo was out like a light the moment he hit his soft covers, not realizing that he was about to be fetched by a certain Kim Jongin within five minutes.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

The moment his alarm blared, Kyungsoo is on his , trying to get the sleepiness off his eyes. It wouldn’t do him good if he gives into the temptation that lures him back under his sheets and with his pillows. He vaguely remembers a promise that he made Chanyeol (to shut him up) about helping him practice his battle skills. If Kyungsoo didn’t know better, he would believe the son of Hephaestus.

 

But that day being Wednesday, he knew that the Apollo House will be having their combat lessons in the Arena too. And Apollo House means Byun Baekhyun.

 

He wasn’t even five minutes awake and Kyungsoo’s brain is already nearing overdrive, one of the not-perks of being a demigod. Moreso being a son of the god of war.

 

No point in stalling the inevitable, he thought as he slipped off of his bed to prepare for his day. In less than half an hour, Kyungsoo is dressed in full battle gear. He took a peek on the mirror on his closet door and he smiled to himself. He thinks that the plain white shirt under his plate armor paired with his favorite slim-fitting jeans suits him best. He feels comfortable with the weight of the metal hung on his frame. The protective gear serving more than one purpose for him, one being his safety in the event that there will be a fight and to stave off attention on him.

 

Looking like ready to whoop someone’s (Chanyeol’s words), Kyungsoo finds his path even more clear whenever he is geared up. Silence usually follows that but the son of Ares noticed lowkey buzzing around him when he made his way to the Arena. HIs battle instincts got him to notice the sneaky eyes chancing a glance on him followed by a few words exchanged between different people.

 

It is unnerving, especially when he saw his two friends looking at him funnily.

 

“What?” he grumbled. There’s nothing wrong with his clothes. He looked normal, like usual. Maybe he missed something? Confused, he turned to Sehun, who would most likely give him a sensible and direct answer. “Sehunnie?”

 

“Is it true, Soo? You stood up Kim Jongin?”

 

Before Kyungsoo could even give a proper response and to control a creeping blush on his cheeks, Chanyeol is already on his business.

 

“Jongin asked you out? For real? And you didn’t think of telling me? I thought we are best friends, Soo? You wound me,” he blabbed, ending with a dramatic clutch on his chest and his face scrunched up. He simply looked constipated.

 

“You look ugly. Don’t let Byun see you like that,” Kyungsoo retorted instead, his brain giving him an impulsive reaction over Chanyeol’s dramatics. He’d rather deal with that than Sehun’s straight-to-the-point question.

 

The son of Hephaestus straightened up and looked around for any sign of the son of Apollo. It took a second for him to realize he has been played. “Stop changing the topic! The whole academy is talking about it!”

 

Sehun, who usually gives Chanyeol a judging stare is nodding in agreement, curiosity shining in his eyes as he turned his attention back to the son of Ares. Kyungsoo felt cornered. The wandering eyes are not helping his emotions and thoughts wrecking havoc inside him. He took his friends’ hands and pulled them away from the open and led them towards the south locker room of the Arena, the farthest and where nobody bothers to go to.

 

“Okay, start talking. What is this about?” Kyungsoo hissed after he made sure that they were indeed alone. They settled on the benches, facing each other. Chanyeol was about to start, his eyes were gleaming with excitement, when he glared at him and gave a go-nod to Sehun.

 

The son of Hades shrugged, settling down on one of the benches. “I heard that you were supposed to go on a date with Jongin last night but you didn’t come. I don’t know how everyone seems to know, though. Probably the whole Aphrodite House knew about it,” he narrated nonchalantly but Kyungsoo observed a certain flicker in Sehun’s eyes when he mentioned about the Aphrodite House.

 

Chanyeol then clapped his hands and his loud ‘Aha!’ echoed in the empty room. “That was why Jongin asked me for your number the other day!”

 

“What,” Kyungsoo deadpanned. The son of the god of fire realized the mistake he made from the piercing glare aimed at him.

 

He chuckled nervously. “He asked nicely?”

 

Absentmindedly, he slipped his phone out from his back pocket and surprising no one, there are a couple of messages that came from an unknown number. He wouldn’t have known he has them as his phone is perpetually in silent mode. Kyungsoo unlocked his phone to confirm whether the messages were indeed from Jongin. The fluttering he feels inside his stomach wouldn’t let him be so he had no choice.

 

ure probably busy. sorry. maybe next time?

 

Kyungsoo’s shoulder sagged in guilt. Wasn’t it a joke? But Jongin seems to be serious when he approached him the other night, with the tone of his message. Everyone seems to be in on it too, with their reactions a while ago.

 

Still, Kyungsoo couldn’t reconcile the thought of Jongin, in all his fluffy pink hair glory, would ask him on a date. Why would Jongin want to date him?

 

His heart doing leaps inside his chest isn’t answer enough. It was just… an acquired reaction that he has towards the Head of the Aphrodite House. It’s just… an effect that one experiences if acquainted with the children of the goddess of love and beauty. It’s… a normal reaction to have.

 

Kyungsoo has long convinced himself with these thoughts. It wasn’t because he finds Kim Jongin particularly attractive among his brothers and sisters. It wasn’t because he feels drawn towards Jongin’s smile. And most of all, it wasn’t because his pink hair gives him a glow like what Apollo has around him. Of course not since Apollo isn’t Jongin’s father. Why would he glow…

 

“Oh wow, Soo. You made Jongin wait for you for three hours?” Chanyeol tsked, pulling Kyungsoo out of his reverie. The nosy bastard has his big finger sliding through Kyungsoo’s messages on his phone. “His earliest message was sent 6:58pm.”

 

Involuntarily, Kyungsoo’s attention turned to his phone and he glimpsed at the topmost message in his inbox. The little time on the lower right of the latest message says 10:06pm. Jongin waited for him for 3 hours and 8 minutes, his brain supplied.

 

If he wasn’t serious, he wouldn’t wait out for Kyungsoo for more than three hours, right? He wouldn’t even kiss Kyungsoo…

 

“Soo?” Sehun asked worriedly. He reached out to touch Kyungsoo’s forehead lightly, the latter tried not to flinch from the cold hand making contact on his skin. “You went all red, do you feel sick?”

 

Gulping, Kyungsoo waved off the concern as nonchalant as possible. His insides are doing flips again at the memory of Jongin’s lips pressed on his. Sehun raised a dubious brow at his reaction (or lack of it) but still, he couldn’t help the questions that are bouncing inside his head.

 

That was a kiss, wasn’t it? was just one of them. It just confused him even more because it doesn’t make sense.

 

The expectant looks from Sehun and Chanyeol had him cornered. He sighed in defeat, realizing there will be no way out unless he spills the beans. Maybe he could use whatever perks he could get from his friendship with these two.

 

“Jongin may have asked me out on a date the other day,” Chanyeol was about to open his mouth and Kyungsoo shot him down with a glare. The son of Hephaestus slumped back on his seat with a pout. “But I didn’t give it much thought because I thought he was joking.”

 

There was silence and for the first time, Kyungsoo felt uncomfortable. Then he knew what people meant when they say that silence can be deafening too. It went on longer than he had imagined and sent his thoughts on a rampage once more. He groaned to himself. Kyungsoo only wanted to live simply and peacefully and yet there he is, agitation filling his nerves and his mind kept on replaying the damn kiss on top of all the things.

 

“Why would he joke about that?” Sehun finally broke the ice, tilting his head to the side in obvious confusion.

 

“I don’t know. Why would he not?” Kyungsoo asked. It was one of the recurring questions inside his head because why would Jongin want to go out on a date with him?

 

Chanyeol looked like he was about to burst so Kyungsoo gave him a slight head bob as his silent  ‘permission granted’.

 

“Because he actually likes you?” he boomed then he took a deep breath and smiled widely. “Our Kyungsoo has grown up! He is about to experience love, I’m so proud of you, Soo! And it is none other than Kim Jongin from the Aphrodite House, the Heartthrob™, Everyone’s First Love.”

 

It wasn’t like Kyungsoo needed the reminder. He knew Jongin and how everyone is charmed by the Head of the House of Aphrodite. Nobody in D Academy doesn’t know who he is.

The pink-haired demigod who is at par with the gods for his godlike presence, the personification of the greek sculptures, the owner of the most swoon-worthy smile are only among the names that was given to Jongin.

 

And each of them has Kyungsoo questioning even more why Jongin would even consider dating him.

 

For someone that is perceived as scary as he is, he can’t find any reason for Jongin to like him enough to be in his company, much less to date him. So the invitation could only be a joke, that is the only explanation that Kyungsoo could process but everything that has happened tells him that there is more to this than he could comprehend.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter