Chapter Five

The Vow

“I’m glad to see you’re doing better,” Jooheon says, stuffing his hands resolutely into the pockets of his jacket. Kihyun hums, nodding his head a single time. He glances over to Jooheon, his eyes shining with an unreadable light. 

“You have a good heart,” he says suddenly, bluntly. The tips of Jooheon’s ears begin to blaze red, and he stutters out how he isn’t any different from anyone else. Kihyun chuckles then, an almost musical sound that sets Jooheon’s nerves at ease. “It takes a special kind of person to help a complete stranger they see bleeding out on the street.” 

“I just… would’ve hated to see you die,” Jooheon mutters dumbly, at a loss as to how he should explain his actions. ‘Yeah, so I’m not a piece of , so what’ seems like a pretty abrasive way to respond. 

“Because you have a good heart,” Kihyun repeats, so casually like it isn’t weird or anything to compliment a stranger’s heart… He seems to pause then, his eyes flicking down to the cracked sidewalk as he a breath in through his teeth. “I… am sorry for not calling you, or anything. I don’t exactly have access to a telephone at home.” 

Jooheon looks over then, an eyebrow raising at this. It isn’t every day you meet a potential gang member who doesn't have access to a phone. Kihyun chuckles, as if sensing Jooheon’s confusion. 

“My home,” he goes on to say, “doesn’t exactly have the best reception.” It isn’t a lie, not really. Only a fraction of prayers sent to Heaven are strong enough to break through the ethos and actually get there. It’s there’s messenger angels all over the place... God, Kihyun remembers messenger duty. That was a nightmare... 

Jooheon nods in acknowledgment, accepting the excuse. After all, there’s nothing suspicious about having ty phone signal... 

Kihyun’s aware of everything as they walk down the sidewalk, the way the breeze smells faintly of garbage and rotten foods, Jooheon’s heartbeat and how it’s slightly faster than is normal for a human, the sun beating down on their backs as they walk bringing a pleasant heat to the otherwise cool air, Jooheon’s beautiful hair glistening in the sunlight, how they pass by a food cart being wheeled around, the vendor shouting out different kinds of dumplings... how Jooheon eyes the cart with a day-long hunger. 

The angel stops in his tracks, turns on his heel, and goes to the cart. He orders six of the best-selling kind—since he really doesn’t even know what kind of dumpling Jooheon likes, anyway—and returns to Jooheon as soon as he can with the box of food in-hand. He offers it out wordlessly, only that serene smile on his face he finds so easy to have when in the human’s presence. 

“W-What...?” Jooheon asks, seeming utterly dumbfounded as he glances to the box then back to Kihyun... then back to the box. His lips are puckered in a pout that brings an odd, adoring warmth to Kihyun’s chest that he doesn’t quite understand. Kihyun extends his reach a bit more, as if to emphasize his offer. 

“You looked hungry just now,” he explains plainly, at a loss as to why Jooheon’s confused. The tips of the mortal’s ears grow from their usual pale to a bright, glaring red, and the adoring warmth within grows. 

“Thank you,” the man murmurs, a bit sheepish as he takes the box from Kihyun’s hands. He opens it swiftly, his stomach outright growling. He takes the middle one and bites into it, humming happily at the tasty mix of meat and veggies within. He doesn’t realize he’s smiling until Kihyun laughs under his breath, the sound impossibly beautiful—like the very thing ‘joy’ was named after in the first place.  

“You’re cute when you’re happy,” Kihyun compliments. The human’s ears grow even redder, leaving Kihyun to wonder if this is a normal reaction, or something only unique to this particular human. It fascinates him, makes him want to see the reaction again... even if he does hope it’s unique to this human and this human alone. 

“I... really like your laugh,” Jooheon mutters in reply, his cheeks full. There’s crumbs on his lips, and Kihyun gently reaches out to wipe them away with his thumb, the smallest of smiles pulling at his lips. He’s oddly pleased that Jooheon would like anything about him, much less his laugh, something natural that he can’t even control. The human suddenly offers forward the box, the red on his ears growing. “W-Would you like some? You did buy them, after all.” 

“No, they’re for you,” Kihyun assures him, holding his palms up towards the box as if to ward it off. “I’m not hungry. You enjoy them.” 

Jooheon nods, hugging the box close to his stomach. He takes another bite, stuffing his cheeks full. Kihyun watches him, so taken by the sheer adorableness in the simple movement. He’s never come across a human like this in all his years, and it’s utterly fascinating. 

He’d come today with the intention to cut ties with the human, give them both some sense of closure with the situation. He’d felt guilty at thinking Jooheon would never know what had happened to him, that his help had meant something. But, now, as he studies the pink dusting Jooheon’s puffed-out cheeks, he doesn’t know if he can bring himself to leaving this mortal just yet... 

 

After saying goodbye to Jooheon, Kihyun returns home to paradise. Though, it admittedly feels questioningly empty without the companionship of the mortal he’d left behind. He walks around the cloudscape—or, rather, drifts around—with a furrowed brow after passing through the gate, trying to make sense of this unfamiliar sense of loneliness. After all, he’s surrounded by those of his own kind and doesn’t have to keep up pretenses of being something lower than himself.  

So, why would he be lonely? It should be a relief to be back after being on the mortal plane for so many hours. 

“Kihyun-ah!”  

Kihyun turns at the call of his name, surprised to see Hyunwoo and Hoseok coming towards him. He glances between the two, studies their demeanors. Hoseok seems a bit... subdued, he supposes. Perhaps even guilty? And Hyunwoo looks like a man on the quest for answers. It doesn’t exactly sit well with the warrior angel. 

“Hoseok’s just told me where you’ve been,” Hyunwoo states simply, his deep tones reverberating down to the essence of Kihyun’s being. He pauses, as if this should encite some sort of reaction within the younger. All it brings about is confusion, because why should it be either of their business where Kihyun’s been? 

“And?” Kihyun asks, crossing his arms over his chest. “What of it?” He sees Hoseok glance between them out of the corner of his eye, chewing on his lower lip. He steps forward, waving his hands about anxiously. 

“We’re just... concerned,” Hoseok interjects, speaking slowly as if taking the time to choose his words. “We don’t want you getting in trouble with Boss.” Kihyun hums, the answer only bringing about more confusion. 

“Well... I appreciate your concern,” he says to them both, “but I won’t. There’s nothing to get in trouble over.” Hoseok outright pouts at this, his lips puckering in dismay. 

“Kihyunnie, don’t lie to us,” he says, his voice almost a whine. “I know you went to see that mortal you’re attracted to... I know that attraction didn’t go away today, that it only got stronger. I know you’re about to playing a very dangerous ga—" 

“Like I said,” Kihyun interrupts, “I appreciate the concern, but it’s unnecessary.” Damn cupid, telling him how he feels. He’s a warrior angel dammit, he doesn’t feel such a human emotion like love. He’s too high-up for that, literally above it all, spiritually and physically. It’s just gratitude he feels for the human, nothing more... right? 

“We’re only looking out for you,” Hyunwoo tells him, frowning. “There’s no need to get hostile.” 

“It’s none of your business,” Kihyun tells them bluntly, whirling about on his heel. He doesn’t know who he’s more angry at, them for calling him out or himself for being so defensive. Of course, reacting this way would cause Hoseok and Hyunwoo to think themselves right, but he just can’t help it. Who’s Hoseok to tell him how he feels?  

Hyunwoo and Hoseok glance to each other as they watch their younger friend huff off, worry clear in their eyes... They can only see how much of a mess this is going to make.