two

For How Long?

They say tough conversations are meant to be done in a car for two obvious reasons. One, there are fewer distractions. Two, the other person’s basically trapped, they can’t escape. That is probably why Irene’s dad decided to take his one and only daughter for a drive that morning. At 7AM on a Saturday morning.

Unlike other rich families where parents and children act like business partners, the Bae family have a pretty close relationship with each other. However, Irene can’t escape the concept of arranged marriages in industrial conglomerate families. By now, she has accepted the idea of one day settling down with a man of her family’s choice, not of her own. 

This is also why she’s never entered a relationship before. She’s simply avoiding heartbreaks of not being able to marry her boyfriend. Always prioritize prevention rather than damage control, right?

“Where are we going today, dad?” Irene said as they entered the car.

“There’s this place I want to show you.”

The drive was about two hours with a mix of city and countryside sceneries.

“Joohyun-ah,” halfway into the drive Irene’s dad started speaking in a serious tone. The conversations prior to this was just chit chat about Irene’s first week at the university and what her dad’s been busy with.

“I want to talk to you about marrying you.”

That’s when Irene’s mind went blank. Is this what this drive’s all about? Is this what this weekend’s father-daughter trip is going to be about?

“I know we’ve talked about this even from when you were younger, but you know the Do family, right? We used to come over to their place for dinners and such. Their family makes the best samgyetang, remember?”

His dad’s voice started to fade away as her mind tried to gather memories of this Do family.

“Mr. Do is running for the next presidency and our family is going to support him. We will help me on the media side. Trying to cover most of his campaigns, distract the citizens from negative controversies if there are any, and just provide any media coverage he needs for the success of his presidency.”

Irene remained quiet. She didn’t know what to say. She was still processing everything before her dad continued speaking.

“For that, we are going to marry you to his son,” his dad spoke. 

“May I ask when?” Irene spoke for the first time after a while. Her voice sounded croaked.

“As soon as possible, honey.” her dad’s words shot to her. “A sign of alliance should be established as early as it is possible. Our families should be joint before the presidency announcement.” 

Irene didn’t say anything to that. 

“You don’t have to worry. He’s such an admirable man. He’s very family oriented, and he has such good manners. I met with him a couple of times when you were in London.”

“So, he knew about it before I did?”

“Oh no, darling. We had casual dinners like we used to back in the days. No marriage talk yet. Not until I spoke about it with you, and his father to him.

“But, I saw how he’s grown into such a wonderful man. You know your mom and I love you so much, right? We would have not randomly pick some guy to be your future husband.”

Irene just nodded at this. 

“Yes, that’s something I’m sure of.”

“So, what do you think?” Irene heard that as more of a rhetorical question.

“I’ve expected this from when I was younger so I guess there’s no reason to disagree with this.”

Her dad smiled so brightly. How could he have been so blessed with such an obedient daughter. A beautiful and obedient daughter.

“Well, thank you Joohyun-ah. Thank you for being my daughter.”

Irene wanted to cry right the and there. Why would her dad thank her for getting into an arranged marriage? At least, she feels the love and gratitude from her parents. She figures, other families would be more demanding with their children about arranged marriages. A caged situation of some sort. Her family’s different and she feels it.

“Clear your schedule for next weekend, honey. We’re going to the Do family’s residence for the dinner of both families. To just get to know each other first. Wedding planning would come after.”

The rest of the drive was back to normal chit chat between Irene and her dad. She tried to converse with her dad even though her mind is running along elsewhere. 

Two hours didn’t feel as long as it usually does because of the conversation they had. Irene’s dad parked in front of a building under construction. 

“This is your mom’s and my project for the past two years,” Irene’s dad told her as he puts the car on park. “Do you remember how your mom and I used to talk about spending our retirement days somewhere not too far from the city but close enough to nature?”

Irene just nod as she faced her dad.

“Well we started building this house from scratch two years ago when you flew to London.”

The structure of the house portrays a re-interpretation of traditional Korean eave typology to achieve high environmental and aesthetic standards. It didn’t look too majestic, but it sure was not a simple looking house. A fusion of traditional Korean architecture and modern minimalist design. 

The two walked inside the front gate and Irene was in awe to see that the site offers a panoramic view of its surrounding mountains. 

“Let’s go inside.”

They walked through a big wooden door. The inside was still empty, but it looked so spacious. The architect aims for a balance between nature perseverance and spatial experience. Irene could also tell that there was lots of source for natural light and shadow through the humongous windows.

“Joohyun-ah,” her father called for her as he stared straight through the windows, looking at the mountains. “I’m getting old and I think I will be retiring soon. I really wish I could walk you down the aisle before that and possibly even see my grandchildren play around throughout this house.”

To this, Irene could no longer hold back her tears. Thankfully, her father never left his sight from the exquisite view. She shed a few tears before composing herself to respond to her dad.

“And your wish will surely come true, dad.” 

For that brief moment, her feelings and anxieties didn’t seem that important. Her parents are her everything. At this moment, there’s nothing holding her against this marriage.

~

Irene allowed her dad to rest on their drive back as she took the wheels.

The ride back home was quiet as Irene’s dad decided to get some sleep. Irene drove home accompanied by some peaceful ballad tunes on her car’s sound system and a serene view of mountains and trees surrounding the road. However, her mind wasn’t as peaceful as the songs nor was it as serene as her surroundings. 

Despite being determined about this marriage back at the construction site, the silence in the car brought her back to overthinking the situation.

Was it supposed to be this soon? Getting married at 21 was never what she expected. An arranged marriage was an obvious future she’s accepted, but at 21? It never crossed her mind. What about finishing school? Can’t she at least finish school before having to be someone’s wife? Oh and that someone. Who could it possibly be? Did he knew about it sooner than she did? Was he okay about it? Is he possibly older? Like way way older? Hence, the rush? 

Too caught up in her own thoughts, Irene didn’t realise that she’s arrived back home. They went inside and Irene walked up straight to her room.

As she finished taking a shower, she heard a knock on the door.

“Come in.” she knew her mom would probably want to talk to her after her dad basically dropped the bomb.

Her mom entered and immediately sat on the foot of Irene’s bed. 

“So your dad told me that he spoke to you about it already,” her mom started. “How are you feeling, dear?”

“To be completely honest with you, I’m not that surprised,” Irene went to the bed while still drying her hair. “But, I’m just confused. I have a lot of questions mom.”

“Ask me.”

“Well, first and most important I guess, why so soon? What about school? Don’t I have to graduate my bachelor’s degree first?”

Her mom chuckled at this. She knew her daughter had her priorities set right. Family first, then education, everything else comes after.

“Darling, I got married to your dad a year younger than you are today,” her mom explained. “There was no problem with it, and there still is no problem about getting married at such a young age. I didn’t regret that and have never wanted to marry your dad a bit later.”

Her mom took the towel from her daughter and helped dry Irene’s hair for her.

“You can still go to school, hang out with your friends, and travel, but the only difference it you get to do all that with a partner.” her mom sounded excited. “Oh, and you also have a ring on your finger. That’s it.”

Well her mom just oversimplified marriage, but that is only to encourage her daughter to go through with this arranged marriage.

“I actually loved the fact that I got married quite early,” her mom went to the bathroom to hang the damp towel. “You and I, our is pretty small. I feel like we’re basically friends, don’t you think so?”

Irene’s mom wriggled her eyebrows and went for a fist bump with her daughter. Irene broke into a grin at her mom’s hilarious remark.

“Everything will be alright honey,” her mom hugged her one and only daughter. “Besides, you’ll always have your dad and I by your side. We’ll be here to support you but also guide you from our experience. Always remember that. 

"It’s a new chapter of your life. An exciting chapter where you get to learn things about yourself you never knew about. You’ll grow as the Joohyun that everyone will be proud of because I know marriage have at least done that to me. 

“But something you have to understand is that at the end of the day it’s your marriage, and it’s your family so I pray that you can go through it with your future husband. Your dad and I wouldn’t want to interfere too much. Trust me, you don’t want us to interfere too much.”

Irene wanted to cry but she did not let herself shed a tear in front of her mom. She’ll have to wait until her mom leaves the room.

“Alright, I’m getting emotional and it’s not even your wedding day yet.” her mom stood up from their hugging position. “Get some sleep, you received a heavy news and you drove quite far today.”

Irene’s mom left her room. She left Irene feeling all kinds of things at the same time. She needed to vent. She needed to talk to her best friend, but all her friends are abroad. At times like these, thank God for technology and time difference.

She took her phoned and dialed the first contact she could think of.

“Hello,” a raspy voice was heard from the other end of the phone call.

“Good morning, Wendy.”

“Bae Joohyun,” Wendy sounded annoyed. “Do you know that it’s 6AM here in Boston, it’s basically dawn, not morning!”

Irene laughed. She really misses her friend. The last time they met was around spring break last year when Wendy visited Irene in London. They travelled around England a bit and even went to Paris by train. Ever since, they have just been having routined catch up calls and constant texting. 

“I have something to tell you,” Irene finally spoke.

“Well, it better be important for you to wake me up this early on a Saturday morning.”

There was silence for a bit. Irene didn’t know how to tell her best friend that she’s getting married soon. 

“Joohyun-ah,” Wendy sounded worried. “Are you okay? Is everything alright?”

“Uh, the thing is,” Irene couldn’t get it out in words. “Today my dad and I went for a drive, and he told me that he uh-“

“Is he okay? He’s not as sick as he was, right? I thought he was getting better! Oh my gosh, Irene, I’m sure he’s going to be fine!”

“No, it’s not about his sickness,” Irene eventually mustered up. “He told me he’s marrying me soon.”

The phone call became silent once again.

Wendy knew about the whole arranged marriage situation that her best friend has to go through. She didn’t know it would be this soon though.

“That’s pretty soon.”

“I know, that was my first thought as well,” Irene started explaining. “But, our families will be joint for a political reason so they need to do it as soon as possible.”

“So, who’s the lucky guy?” Wendy didn’t pry into that. Instead, she tried to lighten up the mood. “Is he handsome? Tall? Kind? Mannered? Filthy rich?”

“I don’t know,” Irene said. “I don’t know who the guy is yet.”

Wendy got confused. But, she knew her friend needed comfort more than extra confusion.

“When will it be?” Wendy asked. “Will you fly me to Seoul? Or will the wedding be elsewhere? Like a destination wedding somewhere in the countrysides of France or Italy.”

Irene couldn’t thank God enough for blessing her with such a lovely and bubbly best friend who knows how to cheer her up every single time.

“Dad says the wedding will be held as soon as possible, so I’m guessing it will just be here in Seoul,” Irene assumed. “And, of course, I wouldn’t want a wedding without my best friend.”

“Alright that’s it, I’m going to the gym tomorrow and start eating less,” Irene laughed at this. “I can’t look fat on my best friend’s wedding.”

“Thanks Wendy,” Irene said genuinely. “You always know exactly what I need and when I need it. Please don’t leave me.”

“Never ever ever ever.”

The two talked some more about other stuff, catching up on each other lives until Irene’s drowsiness took over and she slept as Wendy started her day on the other side of the globe.

~

On the same day, at the Do’s household. Mr Do also disclose the new to his son.

Kyungsoo knocked on the doors of his father’s home office.

“Come in,” he heard his father said from inside.

“Mr Lee told me you wanted to see me,” “what’s the matter, dad?”

“Come sit,” his dad pointed at the leather seat across from his own. His dad took of his glasses and look straight into his son’s eyes.

“I want to let you know that I’m running for president on the next election,” Kyungsoo’s dad started. “We are already in discussion about how the campaign would proceed and which businesses and political parties are going to be involved

“I don’t know if you remember the Bae family? They own BAE Media Corporation that specializes in both digital and traditional media. They would be my key partner throughout the presidency campaign. They will help support me with media exposures, reaching out to the outskirts of our nation, and hopefully gain both millennial and elderly voters.”

His dad took a pause as he drank some water.

“But aside from business, they hold a special place in both your mother’s and my heart. Mrs Bae used to go to the same high school as your mom. When Mr Do got sick I was with him and I was also the one who rushed him to the hospital. 

“When you were younger, they used to come over for dinners when you were younger. We used to also go on short weekend trips together. Our families were and are really close. I’m very grateful to have them stand by me for this election.”

Kyungsoo remained still. He knew his father’s not done talking. If he was just announcing his presidential candidacy, they would’ve talked over it at the dinner table. His dad din’t need to summon him to the home office.

“And for that reason, I will be marrying you off to the daughter of Mr and Mrs Bae.” Kyungsoo froze. His mind went blank. It’s like the ground is crumbling down, swallowing him whole.

“With your marriage, the Bae family and our family would be joint together for a really strong partnership. Not only for the presidential election, this partnership will benefit both of our families in the long term.”

Kyungsoo knew this was coming. But, that didn’t mean that he liked it one bit. Kyungsoo hated, still do, hates the idea of arranged marriage. To him, that is such a traditional and conservative approach of tying the knot between a man and woman. Why would parents nowadays still arranged their children’s marriage? Haven’t they heard of this thing called free will? The freedom to choose however they want to live their lives because it’s theirs, not their parents’. This includes the freedom to choose their own spouse. 

“I know it’s a bit soon, but I’m running for president and we want to make sure that the Bae family and our family are joint before the announcement,” his dad continued speaking before hearing what his son had to say. “

“I don’t know if you remember her, but her name’s Joohyun, Bae Joohyun. She’s your age. A beautiful girl who’s very polite to elders and is doing very well in her studies.”

“I don’t care,” was the first thing Kyungsoo said. “What if I don’t want to?”

His dad got slightly mad but he kept his composure. 

“It doesn’t matter,” he calmly replied. “We’ve talked about it for the longest time, you should’ve seen this coming and prepared yourself.”

Kyungsoo remained quiet. He knew there was nothing he could do about it. No matter what he would say, what he thinks or what he feels. None of it would change his father’s decision. It was final. 

“Next week we’re meeting the Bae family,” his father continued speaking. He puts his glasses back on and went back to reviewing his documents. “They’re coming over for dinner, Saturday 7PM. Don’t even think about bailing, I’ll have Mr Lee you personally to the dining table, if necessary. Don’t cause a scene and humiliate your mother and I.”

“Is that it?” Kyungsoo spoke for the second time throughout the entire conversation. “Do you have anything else to say to me? Or may I be dismissed?”

“You may go.”

Kyungsoo stood up and left the room. He saw his mom outside the door. She looked sad, as if she just cried. 

“Kyungsoo-yah,” his mom spoke very weakly.

He ignored her. He went straight to his room. Furious. Disappointed. Angry. Frustrated. Everything combined. His head’s about to blow. 

He needed to think of a solution. Something that could make the situation a little less crappy. Something that could possibly be a loop hole. Something that could help him escape this stupid arrangement. Anything.

He can’t possibly go through with this wedding. Being the somewhat hopeless romantic that he is, he believes that marriages should be rooted in love. And whoever this Bae Joohyun is, he does not love her, never did, never will. There’s only one person that owns his heart. The one and only person that Kyungsoo loves. Her name’s Yoon Yiseo.

She’s Kyungsoo’s first love. Present love. And possible forever love. She’s the only girl Kyungsoo has ever truly loved.

The two met in high school where they were each other’s best friend, each other’s study buddy, each other’s first kiss, each other’s first love, each other’s partner, each other’s shoulder to cry on, basically each other’s everything. Yiseo was there for Kyungsoo when his parents weren’t even as present in his life. Yiseo helped Kyungsoo through one of his lowest low and Kyungsoo was there for Yiseo when she went through the toughest time of her life. But more than that, they were happy when they’re with each other. Happiest even. They celebrated each other’s birthday, every achievements and awards they received, and they had the most fun during their dates. Kyungsoo thought he’s met his twin flame, his soulmate. So did Yiseo.

However, Yiseo decided to pursue her passion for music and pursue a degree in profession studies in writing and producing music. That’s when Kyungsoo’s world crushed into pieces. They broke up because Yiseo didn’t want to go through a long distance relationship. She gave up before even trying. 

Kyungsoo didn’t want to let her go. So he promised her. He told her he’ll wait. He’ll stay right where they were when she left and wait for her homecoming. Wait for their happy ending. 

That is, until tonight. He’s wrecking his brain for anything that could help him get off of this arrangement and be with the love of his life. 

He thought of leaving the country, going far abroad, away from his family’s radar and just live humbly with Yiseo. But that’s too selfish of him, Yiseo didn’t work hard to pursue a degree just to be an unknown b-rated songwriter because they have to avoid being found by his family.

He thought of faking a marriage with Yiseo. Or even eloping. That way, an arranged marriage would be invalid for a married man, right? 

But how confident is he in the fact that Yiseo would want to marry him. And how confident is he in the fact that he, himself, is ready and willing to marry Yiseo. He’s not so sure. At least, not as certain as he was back in high school. Back then, he thought Yiseo would be his future and forever. 

But what if Yiseo’s changed. What if she no longer is the girl that he was in love in back in high school?

No, Yiseo would never change. Even if she did, Kyungsoo was certain that she would change for the better.

But what if this Joohyun girl is similar to Yiseo. What is if she turned out to be better than Yiseo? What if maybe she’s not as bad as he thinks she would be? 

No, no, no, it is not about the girl, it is about this whole situation that is so messed up. Kyungsoo shouldn’t even think about the girl right now. Whoever she is, he will not let himself be wedded to a random girl. And besides, Kyungsoo was certain. There’s not a single girl in this world that would come to par with Yiseo. 

Kyungsoo was having an internal battle with his own thoughts.

Even so, if he wants to marry Yiseo, he would want the proposal to be perfect. The wedding to be magical. He doesn’t want it to be an unplanned and hurried wedding. Yiseo deserves better than that. Yiseo deserves the best if it were up to him.

He fell asleep that night still coming up with just about any ideas that could help him escape this tragic future set in stone for him.

What could it possibly be? An out from this mess.


a/n: sorry for the wait :( here's chapter two. also, pardon the minor grammar/spelling errors i will edit it again but i just wanted to give you guys a chapter asap. 

            -- 01/03/2021

            27 subscribers 1 upvote 763 views