1/1

Worth A Shot

He looked at him 24/7. Not really though, but every time he could, he did stare at him without wavering for one second. At least until they locked eyes. Then, he would quickly advert his gaze and wonder if he had been caught or not and if he had been too obvious.

Just then, this girl came around and began laughing with him, doing heart eyes at him and he felt like throwing up. Or crying, he didn’t really know which one was better. He doubled over and closed his eyes, feeling his heart break in thousands of pieces. He felt the tears burn his eyes but held them. He couldn’t cry now. Not in front of him. Not in front of her. It would make her feel bad because she’s nice but he doesn’t like her. She’s always around him, trying to be as close as she can and he let her. He let her but not him. And it breaks his heart. Because he is dying to be close to him. He is dying to laugh with him at least how much he laughs when he is with her. He wants to hold his hand. Kiss him. Just on the cheek, not necessarily on the lips, it doesn’t matter. But he craves for his gaze, his touch. He remembers how good it felt when he was feeling sick and as he doubled over, he had touched his back in a reassuring manner. His hand had been hot and reassuring, that’s for sure, and though it had been almost one month since it happened, he still could feel his hand when he closed his eyes and thought of that day. But right now, he can’t because his mind is clouded with jealousy. Jealousy and guilt because he has no right to feel jealous because he isn’t his and he’ll never be. But he can’t help himself. As he is sitting on this ing chair, glancing at him from time to time, he can’t suppress this feeling of wanting to have him all for himself. This possessiveness he can’t suppress from the bottom of his heart. It hurts so much to want something so bad but knowing that he can’t have it no matter how hard he tries and cries and prays.

When he is so focused on something, furrowing his eyebrows and sighing deeply when he is getting fed up, he looks so cute he wants to hug him till he feels better. When he does a funny face just to make him laugh, he wants to squish his cheeks. When he send him a message in the morning to cheer him up. When he sincerely ask how he is when he feels down. When he looks around him and smiles when he find him.

There are a lot of little things that make him happy and fluttery. But some other little things make him want to die. He would feel sick, dizzy and one day he almost fainted at how bad he was feeling.

And if it wasn’t because of how he acted with the girl, it was because of how he acted with his friend. Now, he is quite sociable so it is understandable that everyone liked him, he is funny and handsome. Charismatic even.

Right now, he is sitting with the girl in the amphitheatre. And he talks with her, not paying any attention to the lecture. Not that he is paying any attention to the lecture either but it isn't for the same reason. He is being all chatty with the girl whereas he is all ears about what they are saying while staring at his reflection in his friend's laptop screen. At the same time, he is talking with a friend he’s made over the net and he is being all bubbly while he's actually dying inside. He is freezing. All he wants is for him to take him in his strong arms and hug him until he felt warmer. Or until forever. He doubted he would ever want to leave his arms. The lecture ends and as he waits for the bus which will take him home he feels the sudden urge to cry. But he holds back. He had promised that he wouldn't cry because of a guy again. But he finally arrives home and just at the sight of his mother, he can't hold back anymore and the tears spill immediately, hot as they stream down his cheeks. His mother rushes to him and engulf him in a tight hug, patting his head sweetly until his sobs calm down.

"Who is it ? Who made my son cry ?"

"No one... I just feel down."

"Don't lie to me Jungkook. Who is it?"

"Jimin. I know I promised to never cry because of guy again but-"

"It's okay. Promising is one thing but really being able to keep this kind of promise is another."

"I know. But I feel so guilty. I don't have the right to cry or to be upset because of him." Jungkook said.

"You have the right too since he's your person of interest. It doesn't matter if you're together or not, you do like him a lot so you have all the right to be upset or to cry because of whatever he does to make you feel like that." His mother told him and nodded.

"Are you hungry? I don't have anything prepared but we can go eat outside if you want. Exceptionally." She said.

"Okay. Where do you wanna go?" He asked her.

"I've been craving to eat in this new restaurant that opened not too far from here.  it's a fried chicken place."

"I heard Taehyung and Jimin talking about it the other day. Okay, let's go there." Jungkook said and got up.

Jungkook and his mother took the bus to the restaurant and went straight to the counter. The cashier turned around and Jungkook gasped.

“J-Jimin hyung ?” he asked, shocked.

“Hi, Jungkook ! Is it your mother ?” Jimin asked and Jungkook nodded. “Hello, I’m Jimin. Nice to meet you, you’re so beautiful.” He said, bowing politely.

“Thank you." She replied. "We'll take a bucket for two please. Half spicy half mild. We'll also take 2 cokes. To eat in." She said, without even flashing a smile to Jimin. The latter bowed and got to work. About 5 minutes later, they got their order and went to sit at a table.

They sat down and the first thing Jungkook did after sitting down was to glance towards Jimin who was taking a new order.

"Eat Jungkookie. Don't look at him." His mother said, taking a bite of spicy fried chicken.

"I can't mom. I need to look at him." Jungkook said in a defeated tone.

"I understand it. He's very handsome and he seems nice. But that's also why you hurt so much and I can't forgive him for this." She stated and Jungkook looked down, taking a piece of spicy fried chicken.

They ate in silence for some time, sipping on their drinks from time to time. Jungkook glanced towards the counter again to find Jimin staring at him. He choked on his coke and began to cough violently, blushing to his ears. Jimin's eyes widened at this and when Jungkook's mother helped him to try to breath normally again, he kind of relaxed and adverted his gaze.

"What's going on Jungkook-ah?" She asked when Jungkook finally stopped coughing.

"I glanced towards Jimin hyung and he was looking at me too. I guess I panicked and it went down the wrong way." Jungkook explained.

“Gosh, be careful. I didn't know he had such an effect on you. Maybe we should just go home.” She said and Jungkook looked at Jimin one last time before nodding. Only some pieces of chicken and fries were left so Jungkook’s mom asked for a bag to bring them home and they made their way back home.

“Mom, what am I going to do ?” Jungkook asked as he opened the door to their apartment.

“Look, you're friends, right ?”

“I don't know... let's say so.”

“Well, you talk to him frequently so you're friends. If it's meant to happen, it will. But you can help it." She said.

“How ?”

“By confessing.”

“No ! I can't. I'll never confess.” Jungkook said, sitting on the couch in the living room.

“Why though ? He might like you back, who knows ?” She said, sitting beside her son.

“I know he doesn't. And if I don't wanna lose... whatever relationship we have right now.” Jungkook replied.

“You know, you can begin by dropping subtle hints. Such as getting closer to him when you talk, saying that he's cute when you got the chance. Things like that.”

“Never mind mom. I'll never do that.” Jungkook said, lying down on his mother' lap.

 

Later this evening at Jimin's

“Hobi, it's getting too much.” Jimin said, entering his shared room with Hoseok.

“Is it Jungkook again ? What happened this time ?” Hoseok asked, sitting up to welcome his best friend.

“He came to eat with his mom during my shift and he was so cute. His mom was quite cold with me though. But he was cute, glancing at me, thinking that I didn't see him. And during the lecture, gosh, he kept on looking at me -so did I- but Soo-Ah was talking non-stop.” Jimin said, plopping down on the floor.

“I don't understand why you don't confess. He obviously likes you too and you've been dropping hints for weeks. What are you waiting for, bro ?” Hoseok asked.

“I don't want to scare him off. And maybe he will confess one day, who knows ?” Jimin replied, not quite convinced himself.

“Jimin-ah... We're talking about Jeon Jungkook. Not his best friend Kim Taehyung. They are best friends but their personalities are drastically different. Jungkook won't ever confess so if you really want to be with him, you should do it first instead of waiting for him to grow some balls.”

“Don't talk of him like that ! He's just super shy.” Hoseok rolled his eyes. “But okay. I'll confess. I don't know how but I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for the talk Hobi. I'm gonna take a shower and go to sleep. Tell Yoongi hyung that I miss him while you're texting.” Jimin said and ran to the bathroom, leaving Hoseok to text with his boyfriend.

The next day

When Jimin enters the amphitheatre, Jungkook is sitting alone, scrolling through his phone, earphones on. He approaches him slowly.

“Good morning Jungkook.” He says, bending to look into Jungkook’s eyes. He sees that Jungkook is scrolling through an Instagram account and smiles.

“I didn’t know you had Instagram ! You should give me your account so we can comunicate more !” he says excitedly and Jungkook blushes a bit.

“I’m not very active anyway so there’s no need to.” Jungkook replies softly.

“That’s a shame. I only have your Facebook account.” Jimin says, pouting a bit and sitting in front of Jungkook.

“Jimin.” Jimin turns around and look at Jungkook who seems very sad now that he looks carefully at him.

“Yes, Jungkook ?”

“Why don’t you sit beside me ?” the black-haired one asks.

“What ?” Jimin asks, caught off guard. He wasn’t expecting this at all, what kind of question is that ?

“You always sit beside Soo-ah and Taehyung but never next to me. Aren’t we friends though ?” Jungkook says. He feels tears prickling at his eyes but holds them.

“We are friends Jungkook.” Jimin replies, confused.

“So why don’t you sit next to me ? Last year the only times you sat beside me were because the only available seat was next to me.”

“I-I’m sorry. It’s just… I thought you would feel uncomfortable if I sat besides you because you never look at me in the eyes.” Jimin explains calmly.

“No, why would I feel uncomfortable ? We’re friends. I’m just very shy.” Jungkook states, staring right into Jimin’s eyes.

“If we’re friends, there’s no need for you to feel shy, right ?” Jimin says and Jungkook nodded.

“It’s just… I like you a lot Jimin.” Jungkook whispers but Jimin still hears him. His eyes widens and his jaw drops.

“W-what ?”

“I-I like you Jimin.” Jungkook repeats.

Jimin stays silent for some moments and Jungkook is about to cry when Jimin suddenly begins to laugh.

“What’s so funny ?” Jungkook asks and Jimin grabs his hand.

“I like you too Jungkook. More than you can imagine.” Jimin says and squeezes Jungkook’s hand.

“Really ?” Jungkook asks, tears falling down.

“Really.” Jimin replies and Jungkook smiles.

“I’m so happy. I shouldn’t be crying but I can’t stop myself. I’m so so happy. I’ve been waiting so long for this moment.” Jungkook says and Jimin gathers his stuffs and goes to sit besides Jungkook.

“So, Kookie, are you satisfied now that I’m sitting with you ?”

“I am. But there’s one more request that I have.”

“Anything.”

“Let me tell everyone that I’ve got the hottest boyfriend of the whole university.” Jungkook states and Jimin giggles.

“Of course. I’ve got the second hottest one anyway.”

 

BONUS

“Hyung you won’t believe what happened to me !!”

What happened Jiminie ?

“Jungkook confessed ! Like, he really confessed to me !!”

Really ?!? Seriously ?? I can’t believe it. I need proofs.

“We’re boyfriends hyung, I promise that I’m not lying !”

Proofs Jimin.”

“Wait a sec hyung. You’ll need to check your snapchat.”

OH MY GOSH