Regrets

Apology

     “Let’s go, Jiwoo-sshi.”

     The words echoed through her ears; but it was as if she heard nothing. Her friends are now looking at her with eyes full of concern, but it was all that they could give. They couldn’t drag her towards outside, or else she would make a scene. It was already past three in the morning, and they were the only customers left in that bar. Jiwoo had drank three bottles already, but it didn’t stop her from having another round.

     What’s the reason behind the drinking session that night? It was deeper than anyone would think. It was not expected to happen. A simple statement that would greatly affect her. Something that would ruin everything, something worse than being told with ‘I don’t love you any more’ or ‘you don’t deserve me’.

     How could someone, whom she treasured the most all those three years; scratch that; five damn years, say that one sentence in front of her like all those years were nothing?

     “I’m sorry, Jiwoo; but you aren’t the one I could see in the future with me.”

     They’re talking about future; future life, future plans. And this, this statement could mean everything. If only she heard it wrong. It was hopeful at first. She evens smiled in front of him, silently hoping she heard it wrong. But then he continued, “I’m sorry, Jiwwo-yah. This doesn’t work anymore.” he didn’t speak further; he turned his back, walking away from the stunned her, leaving her speechless, defenseless, and mentally breaking into pieces. Her legs wobbled in despair, her lips squirmed, trying to hide the sadness that would later on burst her tears out from her eyes.

     Why did it happen? Why did he say that? What had she done to upset him? It was all questionable. Did he dream of someone else as his future partner? How could he easily let go of her? Questions that anytime could blow her brain occupied it, like soap bubbles, increasing its number exponentially. Unfortunately, it was all over. The moment he walked away, the mere fact he didn’t wait for any response from her, it all meant that he’s officially cutting their connection off. As for Jiwoo, who was dizzily entering the bar with some of her friends whom she contacted a moment ago, knew she doesn’t have the right to bother him anymore. No, she doesn’t have to ask anymore. It was enough. What he said was enough for her to stop.

     And then she thought. Yes. It was a ty relationship anyway. Many petty fights, worthless arguments, disappointments. She realized, yes, they were always trying to work it out. The first two years were hell, the ups and downs were gliding like a sinusoidal wave; unending. The reason why they took some space for a while. The reason why she found realizations.

     And then it hit her hard. Park Chanyeol. That man who gave her temporary happiness. That man who confessed his feelings for her, the man that gave her everything she wanted just to make her happy; the man that she dumped, deciding to get back to this ty man named Jung Daehyun just because she still loves him, not knowing he would tell her this.

     It made her smile, how Chanyeol and her dated; how she kissed him torridly while a loud karaoke sound was playing, how this man could make her smile the whole time, how he was sincere enough about what he felt. He even said she was her first love.

     Hurriedly, she took her phone, and searched for his number. Hopefully it was still the same number. A glimpse of hope kindled in her heart, as she was started to dial his number.

     First ring, and nobody answered.

     She made several grunts as she was trying to call him again.

     “Hello?”

     “Chanyeol-ah.”

     “Jiwoo-sshi. It’s already late. Why--”

     “I need your help. I’m at the bar, that same bar we first met? Right. I need your help. Please get me out of here.”

     “Why? Are you having any trouble?”

     She snorted, “Obviously. Please?”

     There was a minute of silence before she heard his reply, “Okay. I’ll call you if I’m already there.”

     The call ended shortly, and a smile was on her face, “He still does likes me.”

     “Who?” one of her three friends said, still trying to persuade her of going home.

     “Park Chanyeol.” she giggled, and was about to drink another glass, but one of her friends held her wrist, “That’s enough, okay?” she took the glass and drank what is contained in it.

     Suddenly, Jiwoo was back in her hype, and she started yelling, “Whoo! That unworthy Jung Daehyun! That piece of .” she kept on yelling curses, just to release the thick shade of grief inside her; and her friends were just there, watching her.

     After a few minutes, Chanyeol arrived, immediately wandering his eyes, locating them. After finding out they were the only ones inside, he immediately proceeded to where they were.

     “Are you Park Chanyeol?” one of the ladies said, and everyone around the table, except her, were asleep.

     After seeing Jiwoo who was still holding a glass of alcohol, he quickly tapped her to wale her up, “Hey..”

     With the sight of the beautiful face in front of her, despite the intoxication, she managed to recognize him, “Chanyeol!” she exclaimed, her breath smelling like liquor. She cupped his face using her free hand, while the other is handing him the glass. “Would you drink this, for me?”

     “Just promise me we’ll leave after.”

     Jiwoo nodded in excitement, but her eyes were obviously giving up, slowly closing its lids. Chanyeol took the glass and drank the beer from it. Since Jiwoo was already half dead from drinking too much he was forced to lift her up from her set and accompanied her towards the exit of the building, her friends following behind them. Two of her friends drank just two glasses, and they just fell asleep because they were tired from work. The other was mildly drunk, but still managed to walk normally.

     “Where are we going?”

     “I’m sending you home.”

     “Wait. Wait.” she held his arm, letting go from his grip on her shoulders,”Let’s talk first, okay?”

     He sighed, “Fine.”

     Jiwoo, still feeling she could handle herself, fixed her hair and bag, and started walking alongside him. “Daehyun’s a piece of .”

     “Why?” Chanyeol replied gently, taking glances at her.

     “Well he just said I’m not the one he could see in the future with him.” she snorted, “How is that possible?” she continued, and let out a forced, sad laugh, “I mean, it was five years. How could anybody easily forget that?”

     There was silence, just the moving air giving audible sound. Of course, Chanyeol knew it wasn’t a reply that she’s needing. It’s the company. How could he give any words of wisdom, anyway?

     “You know, I regret everything that happened between us. If only I knew it would come to this, I should have just let him go three years ago.” she laughed again, but there was pain in it; it was too obvious to be not noticed,

     “And I regret dumping you.” she murmured, but it was audible for Chanyeol.

     It wasn’t in her plans to confess. It wasn’t in her mind, that she would say those words eventually. But now that she had taken this risk, there’s no way it could fail. She knew deep inside this man still like him, after all those years. She knew Chanyeol well. She knew his response would be pleasant to her ears; that it would make her feel better; that it would make her forget this bad night.

     “I want you back in my life, Chanyeol-ah. This time, not as a temporary crying shoulder, not that temporary person I could tell my problems to, not that temporary person I was fooling around before.” it was like as if she never drank that night, as she was shaking while saying those words, “Look, I’m sorry that I made you feel like that before, okay? I’m sorry for lying to you. I need you this time.”

     He stopped on his tracks, and so was she. He faced him, and let out a deep breath, “Jiwoo-ya.” he smiled, but the smile was something that made her heart break even more. Surely she won’t like what will come out from his mouth next.

     “I love her so much.”

     The pang in her heart was so great like it gave her the greatest pain she could feel her entire life. So the speculations were right. Her guesses were right all along. The several times of visiting his page had already given her the signs. Why was she blind all along? Why didn’t she choose to believe those comments? Why did she pursue on calling him?

     “I love her so much, Jiwoo-sshi. I just couldn’t let her go.”

     She could only mouth an “Oh.” before she let out a deep breath, and her tears were visible from her eyes.

     “You’re home now.” he glanced at his watch, “I better get going. You take care always, okay?” he said, and before he left, he pulled her for a hug, caressing her back for comfort; but all it did was to make her cry even more. It didn’t stop Chanyeol from leaving though.