---

Feelings Patterns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was full of silence, the wind blew from time to time, and a girl was sitting in a bench all alone. No other human being could be seen, just her and her own existence. She was always alone anyway. She was sitting still, her eyes were lost and broken. Her soul was touched and someone took it from her, carried it away along on that person’s hand. That was how lost she was at that time and for the next few years.

Kang Seulgi was her name, a high-school student that was going through her first broken-heart. She was rejected, by the very best of friend of her. It was a wrong move, she realized that and approved it herself. In a matter of regret, she was not. She was, actually, relieved that she was brave enough to let her feelings won over her and blurted all of those stupid confessions. Her seven-year-friendship was over that moment.

Irene Bae was her best friend of life and she was no longer one. The girl ran away from Seulgi after the confession the other day before. No, Irene could not just accept the fact that the girl who has always been there for her, had a romantic feelings toward her. She just could not accept it. They were girls and love could not be there within them, within their friendship. So, Irene would just ran away from Seulgi, for how long? Irene did not know.

Until a certain day, a specific and particular moment happened. Few years after that day, when Irene and Seulgi were no longer teenager but young adults that were trying to accomplish their dreams, a school reunion happened and they could not just avoid each other anymore. Actually, both were had this little expectation to this event. An anticipation on how the other had been growing for the past seven years.

 

 

Seulgi was sipping her coffee that afternoon, in her favorite coffee shop, when she overheard a bunch of high-school students talked and were gossiping around. How childish, it was the only thing that crossed her mind. Later, she realized how she missed those childish thought. She had it for once and now she was cringing by those memories. High school, though, reminded her of her someone. It was a painful one and Seulgi could not erase it. Not the pains, but the feelings. She was understanding enough toward Irene in this matter. She was not at fault, Irene was simply being scared and might be grossed out.

A message came in time to distract Seulgi from the memories and longing feelings that started to flow in her mind. An invitation sent by an unknown number. Seulgi was going to ignore and delete the message, when her eyes caught a familiar word, her high school name. Her face was bug-eyed, it was an invitation to a school reunion, her class actually. She had no idea how to react to this shocking happening.

No, the message did not come for distract her thoughts on Irene, it came as the first opened gate to her memories, to Irene Bae. Her best of friend, her love of life. The source of her happiness even when she got was pain.

Seulgi was contemplating, whether she would enter this gate or just left it wide opened. Irene would not be there, right? She would avoid her, it was what she did for these past years after all. Irene would not show up knowing that Seulgi might be there too. Exactly. Irene would never want to breathe the same air with Seulgi. Not in the same room. So, with that thought Seulgi decided to come. With a little expectation to see Irene there. For she had been missing the girl, like since forever.

Little did she know, Irene was in the same situation as hers, on the other side of her seat.

They were there, in their used-to-be favorite place to hang out. In that very coffee shop that brought back all the happiness that she used to have back then. They were separated by a thin wood, like a confession that was parting their friendship.

Seulgi left the coffee shop first and Irene was still there in deep thought. The day became night and she could not leave her seat. For hours, Irene was thinking whether she would come or not. Did the time had come to finally stop avoiding Seulgi? She was never sure. For these past seven years, she would miss her bear. She would come across the coffee shop and reminded of Seulgi. She, then, brace herself to enter the coffee shop. She ordered their drinks, she sat on the other side of the place that she used to sit with Seulgi, she was in the urge of tearing up.

All those years she tried to avoid Seulgi, all those years that she came to a realization. That Seulgi was someone that she could not live without. She did not know, these feelings were romantic or just a fondness toward a best friend.

She would just run away, years ago.

The twenty-five years old Irene, wanted to find out about those questioning feelings. So she decided to come to the reunion. She knew Seulgi too well, that if Seulgi did not change at all. She knew that Seulgi would think she would not come and try to avoid her. Then, a week later, she was being proved right.

 

 

They were standing there–in a party hall that full of their classmates plus their partners–awkwardly, holding their breath and trying to make a normal way of greeting each other.

“Hey, you grow up well, Seul.” It belonged to Irene. She was thinking how to look normal, like the confession never happened. Hell, no. Irene was thinking about it every single time she had. Fear was not the only thing that she had at that time. A slight blush would creep to her cheeks every time she remembered that noon. She had no idea why would she blushed from her best friend honesty of her feelings. She had no idea. Yeah, denial.

“Y-you are looking finer than ever, I g-guess.” That stuttered words were cute in Irene’s eyes. Seulgi never failed to flatter Irene. Looking fine? Yeah, finer than ever. Seulgi was still adjusting to the situation. Well, she had the 2.5% of believe that Irene would come. She felt betrayed by her own intuition. Irene did show up and she never prepared for her reactions to this 2.5% that betrayed her.

“Yeah, my mistake, I should have been more prepared. At least practicing for a way of greeting. This is awkward and I am stuttering.” Seulgi’s mind had gone wild.

She was thinking on what she had to do in that very awkward moment. Her mind was going crazy, so did her heart. It was beating, rapidly, more than the last time. When she said Irene was looking finer than ever, that was not a lie. Irene DID look FINER than ever. Seulgi was emphasizing those words and repeated all over again for the whole night.

While the bear was on a crazy awkward state, Irene focused herself on observing her. She fixed her eyes on Seulgi and she knew that was the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter