I Don't Want to Say Good Night

It Happened One Night

I Don’t Want to Say Good Night

            Ryeowook kept glancing at his phone throughout dinner.  Eventually, Yesung noticed and pointed it out.  “Are you waiting for someone to contact you?”

            Ryeowook sighed heavily.  He felt guilty for even bringing it up.  Yesung had brought them to a fancy restaurant, they were both dressed up, there was romantic music playing in the background, and white fluffy snow was falling outside the windows, giving the night an almost fairytale feeling.  He should be focused on the moment, with his boyfriend, not wondering if some other guy will text or call. 

            “Kyu had his audition today for Singing in the Rain and I kind of expect him to tell me how it went at some point.”

            Yesung frowned down at the phone.  “I’m sure he’ll do well.  His voice is adequate enough for the role,” the beta pointed out.

            Adequate?  Ryeowook almost started laughing.  Ryeowook considered Kyuhyun’s voice far better than adequate, but Kyuhyun and Yesung were always like that with one another, arguing over who had the best voice, so he kept his mouth shut about it.  Yesung pulled his own phone out when dessert was served and took pictures of it.  They’d opted to split one.  Both of them were particular about how many calories they consumed.  Although, this was never the case when Ryeowook ate with Kyuhyun.  They’d both have to order their own.  Kyuhyun could easily eat one by himself.  And if Ryeowook didn’t finish his, the alpha would gladly help him out. 

            Again?  Why was Ryeowook thinking of the alpha?  Ever since his conversation with Eunhyuk and Donghae that morning, he hadn’t been able to get Kyuhyun off his mind.  Throughout his whole date, he’d been comparing Yesung with his best friend, which just wasn’t fair.  They weren’t much alike.

            Ryeowook forked off a piece of the cheesecake the moment Yesung put his cellphone away and moaned the moment he tasted the decadent dessert.  Perhaps he shouldn’t have agreed to share, after all.

            “This is so bad for me,” Yesung said, taking a bite.  “I shouldn’t be eating this.  I’m going to regret this tomorrow.”

            Kyuhyun would never say anything like that.  He loved food and couldn’t give a how bad it was for him.  In fact, he was always dragging Ryeowook to the newest restaurants around town to try something new.  And honestly, although it was totally bad for Ryeowook, he never regretted eating cheesecake.

            “You know what I think.  I think you should add cheesecake to your menu at the Mouse Rabbit.  I would probably come visit you more if you did,” Ryeowook confessed.  “Cheesecake is my favorite, you know.”

            “And then I’d be responsible for my boyfriend gaining weight and you’d hate me for it a month later,” Yesung pointed out, taking another small bite.  “No thanks.”

            Ryeowook sighed, a little disappointed.  Yesung mostly kept healthy food on the menu, which was wonderful, but sometimes you just needed a slice of cheesecake.  Clearly his boyfriend didn’t understand that.

            “You really should come visit me more though.  No one believes me when I tell them we’re dating,” he complained.  “In fact, I should take pictures of us together so I can prove it,” the beta said, pulling his phone out again.

            Just then, the omega’s phone lit up and he glanced over, noticing Kyuhyun’s name appear on the screen.  Ryeowook quickly grabbed the phone to read his message. 

            I got the part.  Your lucky pancakes worked!  😉

            Ryeowook loudly screeched.  “Oh my God!  He got the part!”

            Yesung rolled his eyes.  “I told you he would.  I don’t know why you’re surprised.”

            “I have to call him!”

            Yesung gave him a dumbfounded look.  “Right now?”

            “Yes!” Ryeowook exclaimed, as if that were obvious, dialing Kyuhyun’s number. 

            “But we’re in the middle of a—”

            The alpha picked up right away.  “Hello?”

            Ryeowook’s eyes were watery, he was so excited for Kyuhyun.  “That’s so awesome!  I knew you’d get the part!  Congratulations!”

            “Thank you, but this means you’ll have to help me memorize a bunch of lines,” Kyuhyun reminded him. 

            “Of course, I’ll help you memorize your lines.  I always do,” Ryeowook assured him.  “And I’ll bake you a cake tomorrow to celebrate.”

            Yesung shook his head and took another bite of cheesecake, putting his phone back in his pocket.

            “What kind?  Chocolate?”

            “Any kind you want,” Ryeowook told him.

            “Hmmm, maybe red velvet,” Kyuhyun said.  “It’s been a while since you’ve made that one.  Why are you calling me?  Aren’t you on your date with Yesung?”

            “I am.”

            “Say hi to the for me.”

            “Kyu says hi,” Ryeowook told Yesung.

            Yesung grumbled, waving for the waitress.

            “I called my parents to let them know I’d gotten the part and they wanted to know if we wanted to come over for dinner on Saturday,” Kyuhyun said.

            “Oh, I think I’m free Saturday night.”

            Yesung stared at Ryeowook and held his palms up.

            “What?  Did we have plans already?” Ryeowook asked him.

            “No,” he said, shaking his head.  Then he turned to the waitress.  “Check, please.”

            The woman handed him the bill and he handed over his card.

            “Great,” Kyuhyun said, sounding relieved.  “They’ll quit complaining to me then.  You haven’t been over in a while and they keep asking me if we’re not friends anymore or you don’t love them or something.”

            “Of course, I love them.  They’re as dear to me as my own parents and I probably see them more often, which we’re just never going to tell my parents about.”

            “You see his parents more than you see me,” Yesung grumbled.

            Ryeowook reached across the table and lightly smacked him, smiling.  The way he exaggerated sometimes!  “Ask your mother if she wants me to bring anything, like dessert or an appetizer.”

            “You should make those things with the meat and cheese that you made last time,” Kyuhyun said.

            “You liked those?  I can make them again just for you, but ask your mother what she’d like me to make.  She might want help with something else,” Ryeowook reminded him.

            The waitress returned with the credit card slip and Yesung signed for it quick and handed it back.  Then he got up.  Startled, Ryeowook looked over at him and pulled the phone away from his ear. 

            “Are we leaving?”

            “I am,” Yesung informed him, pulling on his coat.  “You can stay as long as you want and talk.”

            “Are you mad at me?” Ryeowook asked, confused.

            “Can you think of any reason I might be?” he asked, heading for the door.

            Ryeowook stood up and followed after him.  He put the phone up to his ear quick.  “Kyu, let me call you back,” he said, then hung up.

            “You should have done that a while ago,” Yesung informed him.  “Like before you arranged your date with him in front of me.”

            “Date?  I’m not arranging to go on a date with Kyu,” Ryeowook argued.

            “And why are you calling him when we’re on one?  You couldn’t wait to hear the sound of his voice until you got home?” Yesung accused.  “I could have dropped you off right after dinner so you could continue your lover’s talk then and baked cakes for him.”

            “Are you jealous?  Of Kyu?” Ryeowook asked, following him out the door and into the freezing cold.

            Yesung turned around to face him, clearly upset.  “Should I be?  You tell me?”

            “There’s nothing going on between Kyu and I?”

            “Are you sure about that?  Because that’s not what it looks like!  You know what it looks like?”

            Ryeowook felt his eyes begin to water, frustrated.  “You’re just imaging things.  Kyu and I are just friends.”

            “Does he know that?” Yesung asked, turning back around and heading for the car.  “Don’t call me until you’re sure of what you want.  I’m tired of you continuing to choose him over me.”

            “You’re just leaving me here?”

            “Call your boyfriend.  He’ll come get you,” Yesung shot back.

 

Two hours later, at the bar…

            Kyuhyun looked over at his drunk best friend, eyes narrowing.  “So, what exactly did you and Yesung fight about which made him leave you at the restaurant?”  Ryeowook had been rather tight-lipped about what the actual fight was about and Kyuhyun felt positive that it was something he wanted to hear all about.  He wasn’t even sure if Ryeowook and Yesung were still dating or not.  And that, he did want the answer to.

            “I’m still not drunk enough to tell you,” Ryeowook informed him, downing the last of his beer.  It was the sixth glass, but he was damn good at handling his liquor and wasn’t completely trashed yet. 

            “Fine,” Kyuhyun said, waving to the waitress, “but I’m eating something if we’re staying here longer.  I can’t drink more until we head back to the apartment, since I’m driving.”

            “Eat something and then we’ll go back and drink your wine,” Ryeowook agreed.

            The waitress stopped in front of them.  “Two cheesecakes,” Kyuhyun ordered.

            Ryeowook turned to look at him, brows furrowed.  “One of those better be for me!”

            “Of course, it is,” Kyuhyun assured him, grinning and reaching over to pinch Ryeowook’s cheek.

            Ryeowook turned to the waitress.  “I want berries on mine.”

            She nodded and walked away. 

            “I had half a cheesecake already tonight, you know.  I’m probably going to gain weight from eating two desserts,” Ryeowook complained.

            “Who gives a ,” Kyuhyun said, sipping his beer.  “Besides, you’re a stick.  You could stand to gain a little weight.”  Kyuhyun would be damned if he ever told the omega this, but he actually thought Ryeowook looked a little ier a few pounds heavier.  It gave him a little more .  Someday he’d probably figure it out, since Kyuhyun slapped it so much whenever he’d overeaten a little.

            Ryeowook smiled to himself and started drinking his next beer. 

            “So, do you feel like explaining why you keep hitting me and saying that everything is my fault?” Kyuhyun asked.

            Ryeowook turned and smacked him in the arm again, his physical attacks beginning to weaken, the more he drank.  “Because it is your fault!”

            “Everything is my fault, so you say, but you called me up to come pick you up and drink with you anyway,” Kyuhyun pointed out.  “Does that make sense?  If you’re mad at me, shouldn’t you be calling up Sungmin?”

            “But you’re my best friend,” Ryeowook said.  “I’m supposed to call you whenever everything goes to .  Aren’t I?”

            Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around the drunken omega’s shoulders, leaned in, and kissed his cheek.  “You are.”

            Ryeowook was silent a moment and glanced at Kyuhyun’s hand, holding onto his shoulder.  “You also consider Changmin your best friend as well, don’t you?”

            “I do,” Kyuhyun agreed, taking a sip from his mug of beer with his free hand. 

            “Do you kiss Changmin like you kiss me?”

            Kyuhyun laughed at this and removed his hand from around Ryeowook as the waitress set two plates of cheesecake down in front of them.  He picked up his fork and glanced over at his drunken friend.  “What do you think?”

            Ryeowook began digging into his cheesecake and answered Kyuhyun with his mouth full.  “I’ve never seen you kiss him.”

            “I think Changmin would deck me if I did, but I’ll have to try it out now and see how he reacts, just for the fun of it.  Alphas don’t usually let other alphas kiss them, Ryeong.”

            As a general rule, it was true of alphas.  They weren’t very affectionate with one another, even if they were good friends.  Aside from Siwon, of course.  He still loved to kiss and hug people.  Kyuhyun didn’t exactly appreciate being on the receiving end of that, but if one were pointing out exceptions to rules, you had to admit there were a few.

            “I don’t see you kiss other omegas,” Ryeowook said.

            “I’m not close friends with other omegas, although Heechul kisses me once in a while.  I don’t actually enjoy that, though,” Kyuhyun pointed out, taking a bite of his cheesecake.

            Ryeowook remembered the last time he’d seen their omega hyung sneak up on Kyuhyun and plant one on him.  All the other members found it funny and laughed, but Ryeowook left the room.  He’d gone into his bedroom and went to practice playing the piano.  It was well over an hour later that Heechul found him, alone in the room, and apologized to him.  For what, he’d asked.  Heechul just ruffled his hair and left the room without answering him.

            “I never kiss you back.  You don’t take offense to that?” Ryeowook asked.

            Kyuhyun smiled and took a bite of his cheesecake.  “No.”

            “What would you do if I did kiss you?”

            It wouldn’t be a very good idea to answer that question.  Kyuhyun reached over and flicked his nose.  “You ask really weird questions when you’re drunk.  Eat your cake so we can leave and I can start drinking with you.”

            They left right after finishing their cake and the ride back to the apartment was quiet at first, aside from the music playing.  Halfway back, an old Super Junior song came on called “Why I Like You” and they started loudly singing it.  The mood was a little less tense after that, as they continued to sing their old songs afterwards.

            After they got back, Ryeowook could not stop laughing about it.  An hour and a half later, when they were sitting around the kitchen and Kyuhyun had sufficiently caught up to him, having downed three bottles of wine with the omega’s help, Ryeowook was still giggling about it. 

            “Why were they playing that old relic?  That wasn’t even one of our better songs” he laughed.  “Ah, do you remember those days?”

            “I remember the lack of sleep,” Kyuhyun complained, popping open another bottle and sitting back down at the table, pouring them both glasses.  He spilled a significant amount on the table as well. 

            They’d put one of their other albums on in the background and “No Other” was currently playing.  Periodically, they sang along to the songs as they came on.  Kyuhyun had spent a majority of the current song serenading Ryeowook. 

            “Heechul looked terrible in this video.  His hair was awful!”

            Kyuhyun smiled, taking a long drink from his glass.  “It was.  I would never tell him that to his face though.  You shouldn’t either.  I might have to rescue you if you did.”

            “Even Eunhyuk looked bad.”

            “You can tell him.  No one will disagree, least of all him.”

            Ryeowook kept rambling.  “Yesung looked the same as he always does.”

            “He doesn’t change much,” Kyuhyun agreed.  “Neither does Siwon.”

            Ryeowook nodded.  “Donghae and Sungmin looked decent.  But you and I looked the best.  Our hair was styled well, our makeup was done right, we were wearing normal clothes that looked good on us.”

            Kyuhyun felt his heartrate increase.  “Do I still look good?”

            Ryeowook looked him over from head to toe.  “Yes, but you’re older and more mature.  You looked younger in that video.  You look different now.  More manly,” Ryeowook explained.  “But you still look good.”

            The alpha grinned.  Something warmed him inside when Ryeowook admitted that he looked good still.  “I have to get you drunk more often.  You’re so agreeable.”

            Ryeowook looked around the apartment.  “Where do you think Hyukkie and Minnie are tonight?”

            “Sungmin has a performance of The Three Musketeers and Hyuk is probably working on music with Donghae upstairs.”  In fact, Kyuhyun had text Eunhyuk and told him not to come back to the apartment.  He lied and said that Ryeowook was crying and moping after a fight with Yesung.  It was kind of the truth, but he knew that Eunhyuk would avoid the apartment like the plague if he thought there were waterworks.  In truth, he just didn’t want his hyung to mess things up.  He wanted to know what happened between Ryeowook and Yesung.  No interruptions.

            Kyuhyun sat back in his chair and watched Ryeowook as he laid his head down on the kitchen table.  The liquor was starting to get to him.  It had taken many drinks.  But he would probably talk now, if Kyuhyun was careful about how he asked his questions. 

            “And since we’re alone, no one will hear us share secrets.”

            Ryeowook perked up a little, his brows rising.  “Are we telling secrets now?”

            Kyuhyun nodded. 

            “What secret are you going to tell me?”

            Kyuhyun leaned forward and smirked.  “Remember when Sungmin found a stain on his favorite pink shirt last month?”

            Ryeowook began laughing.  “I knew that was you!” he said, smacking Kyuhyun’s chest.  “He loved that shirt!”

            “It was hideous,” Kyuhyun pointed out.  “And I was mad at him.”

            “It was hideous!” Ryeowook agreed.  “It needed to go!  What should I tell you?”

            Kyuhyun leaned in more, resting his arms on the table, and brushing his fingers through Ryeowook’s hair.  “You should tell me what happened between you and Yesung tonight.”

            Ryeowook blushed and Kyuhyun drew back, surprised.  He knew they’d fought about something, but why would Ryeowook be embarrassed? 

            Ryeowook took a deep breath.  “I suppose I should just tell you.  He might call you and you out about it, so it would probably be better if it came from me.”

            Wait.  Why would Yesung Kyuhyun out?  He wasn’t entirely sober, so it took him a moment to remember everything clearly, but then he recalled that Ryeowook and Yesung had been on a date when Ryeowook called him to congratulate him on getting the part in the musical earlier.  Was he angry about the interruption?  Or was there more to it than that?

            Ryeowook stood up and swayed a little.  Kyuhyun reached out and grabbed onto his arm, trying to steady him, and the omega grabbed onto his shoulder.  He thought nothing of it.  But then, suddenly, Ryeowook moved closer.  Without warning, Ryeowook grasped both his shoulders and swung his leg over both of Kyuhyun’s.  He sat down on his lap, straddling him.  A very drunk but determined Ryeowook wrapped his arms around the alpha’s neck, pressing close.  And Kyuhyun, utterly shocked, just sat there without moving, wondering if this was really happening or if he’d passed out and was dreaming.

            “What’s going on?” the alpha cautiously asked.

            “I’ve been told that alphas and omegas can’t just be friends.  That there can’t be platonic relationships between them.  Yesung accused me of deeper feelings than friendship towards you.  Eunhyuk and Donghae accused you of the same.”

            Kyuhyun just stared into his eyes.  He kept his hands off Ryeowook, not daring to touch him because he wasn’t sure what would happen if he did.  He wasn’t even sure if he should breathe.

            “What if I did kiss you?  If we’re just friends, then nothing will happen.  Right?”

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “I don’t think you should do that.”

            “When you kiss me, it doesn’t mean anything.  So, if I kiss you back, it won’t mean anything either,” Ryeowook pointed out, but his voice cracked a little as he spoke and his eyes watered. 

            Was Kyuhyun giving him the impression it meant nothing?  That wasn’t exactly what he wanted his omega best friend to take away from what he’d said earlier either.  . 

            “Ryeonggu, we’ve both been drinking…”

            “Does it mean something when you kiss me or not?” Ryeowook asked, tears falling down his cheeks. 

            For a moment, they just stared into each other’s eyes.  When nothing happened, Ryeowook began to pull his arms away.  But that just wouldn’t do.  Ryeowook deserved an answer.  A truthful one.

            And so, just as suddenly as the whole thing had started, Kyuhyun crashed his lips against Ryeowook’s, his hands grasping the omega’s hips to anchor him in.  Ryeowook whined as Kyuhyun kissed him hard and he wrapped his arms around the alpha tight, refusing to let go.  For the first time, since Kyuhyun had met the little omega, Ryeowook kissed him back.  And this time, Kyuhyun did not stop with one kiss.

 

Well, there's an answer for you.  Comments?

Double updates won't happen on a regular basis, but I thought it would be a good way to start off the new story.