Taeyeon

Brothers and Sisters

She loved and cared for every members of So Nyeo Shi Dae. But Seo Hyeon would always have a special place in her heart. To define Seo Hyeon, one must think back to the very beginning, when they were all only children. Tae Yeon always admired Seo Hyeon’s dedication. In everything she did. But what made her respected Seo Hyeon was, though she was the youngest, she held firm on her principles. From A to Z. Seo Hyeon never swayed. White was white. Black was black.

That’s why, when she fell in love, Tae Yeon mused, it’s permanent. She had watched Seo Hyeon bloomed from a girl to a woman in front of Jung Yong Hwa. She might look like she didn’t really pay that much attention. Or she might sound like she didn’t comment a lot. But Tae Yeon knew. And she saw. And she paid attention.

She knew how deliriously happy Seo Hyeon looked everytime she came home from shooting with him, she saw the black rings under her eyes when she sacrificed her sleep to knit a scarf for him, she felt pain too, when she noticed her puffy eyes, pale face, and her habit of pushing off food after they shot the last scene for the show.

She was the kind of person who preferred personal space, so she rarely asked questions. Only one day, when she, without planning it, sat beside her in the plane, and she saw Seo Hyeon clutching her phone, she asked,

“Are you alright?”

Seo Hyeon turned sharply to her. The expression in her face was surprise, and then she seemed to catch that it wasn’t an ordinary question, underlying her Unnie’s worry for her. One sentence. But the meaning was wider, more than they both have the time to define.

Seo Hyeon gave a small smile.

“I’m fine, Taeng unnie. Really. I am”.

“Are you happy, Hyunnie, I wonder?”

Her tone was motherly, like a genuine sister concerned for her. If Seo Hyeon didn’t stop herself, she’d shed tears then and there. Instead, she reached and held Tae Yeon’s hand.

“I am. Most of the time”

“If you need help, Hyunnie. Someone to talk to. A shoulder to cry on. Or any other thing you might need, Unnie is here. You know that, right?”

“Yes. Yes, Unnie. Gamsahamnida. Jeongmal gamsahamnida”

They were smiling and looking at each other affectionately when Seo Hyeon’s phone vibrated.

“Yeobeseyo. De. I’m going to Japan now. Ne. Take care. Rest well. Good luck on shooting”

He must have said something important, because Taeyeon saw her eyes lit up, and she held her breath, while she listened and exhaled it slowly before saying. “So do I, Oppa. So do I. I have to turn this off now. De. Bye”.

Feeling assured, Tae Yeon put on her seatbelts and prepared to enjoy the ride. Their hands were intertwined.