got a hopeless heart (and you're not making this better)

before u leave

They missed their flight.

And Jennie had been looking forward to their vacation so much that she hasn't felt this angry with the world in a long, long time. She had been planning this for a few years now, after all. This was just one of those things she’s always wanted to do and thought she’d never be able to. Those days eventually lead to Jennie giving up on daydreaming just to call herself a realist. She gave up on finding a soulmate that would love her to the end of days. Then, somehow, life got happier again. Jennie got hopeful, so much so that she’s actually following through with all those childish dreams she used to have.

And it was supposed to be romantic --beautiful scenery, incredible food, and the perfect girl to spend it with (though Jennie remembers a time when she believed she would fall for a boy; she’s adjusted her dreams accordingly since then.) But no , instead they miss their flight and have to settle for a miserable little hotel hundreds of miles away from their destination. The place looks so old that Jennie’s pretty sure the walls would fall into themselves if someone did so much as close a door too hard.

So she sighs loudly, rubs her sleepy eyes with the back of her palm, too tired to complain more than what she already did in the last couple hours. She tries not to fall asleep, but as the seconds tick pass, Jennie starts debating whether or not sleeping in a car is all that bad of an idea. For one, things couldn’t get worse from here.

The next thing she knows, Jennie feels the soft fabric of her old blanket being adjusted over her shoulders, settling with a gentle warmth over her arms. When Jennie opens her eyes she sees that Lisa had already come back to the car, a hotel key jingling noisily in her pocket, and well, Jennie at least has her perfect girl next to her.

“It’s cold outside,” Lisa explains with an affectionate little smile, her voice soft. For a moment there’s so much affection in Lisa's voice that Jennie’s sure she must be imagining things. “I don’t want you to catch a cold,” Lisa continues and, yeah, Jennie’s heart clenches in pain over how cute that is.

She’s not even doing anything cute, gosh, why am I like this.

“Not like this day can get any worse,” Jennie complains, passing a hand through her hair in an attempt to play it cool. Her words sound mucky and the idea of a nice bed to sleep in sounds pleasing again.

“Look at the bright side,” Lisa says, tilting her head a bit like a puppy.

“Lisa, what bright side?” Jennie asks with more annoyance than she intended, a pout starting at her lips before she can stop it, but Jennie’s too tired to calm her emotions before they start showing. She can’t help it. It’s cold and she’s tired and this conversation is keeping them from going inside but Jennie’s bones are too tired to move unless prompted so all she can do is watch as Lisa tries to course her into a better mood.

And Lisa’s smiling that cute little smile, the one that makes Jennie have so much hope in her heart that it starts to hurt, hope so much about always being able to see Lisa’s smile, even if there’s a tiny voice in her head telling her that hope is literally the same as setting herself up for heartbreak. And Lisa, in turn, notices how Jennie’s looking at her with so much love.

Lisa feigns moving to adjust Jennie’s collar before pulling Jennie’s face closer to hers.

Jennie breathes in sharply, eyes widening with surprise as the younger girl places a soft kiss on Jennie’s lips without a moment’s hesitation.

Jennie can’t stop the shy smile and, goddammit, this girl will be the death of her. “Well then.”

Lisa smiles proudly, happy with the reaction she got from Jennie, who’s currently playing with her fingers just so she can look at anything but Lisa. There’s something so satisfying about seeing a soft blush spread on Jennie’s skin. “Gosh, you’re so cute when you’re all flustered-”

“I’m not flustered!”

“You can admit it~”

“No, I’m not flustered, Lisa!” Jennie’s pouting again.

“Prove it then,” Lisa says with so much confidence that she’s genuinely surprised when Jennie moves to follow her advice.

Jennie purses her lips together, grabbing Lisa roughly by the collar. The movement makes the blanket fall back into her lap, and Jennie feels almost exposed because of it. Lisa’s eyes are wide, though, so maybe it’s worth it. Jennie’s got her right where she wants her, and Lisa’s still too surprised to try and break Jennie’s resolve.

Then Lisa smiles, expectant, waiting for Jennie to continue like this is more entertaining than any drama she’s ever watched. Jennie hesitates instantly and instead kisses the corner of Lisa’s mouth.

“There, I did it, happy now?” Jennie looks away, letting Lisa’s collar go, unbuckling her seatbelt.

“But that doesn't-”

“Let’s go, Lisa,” Jennie says, opening the car door and facing a strong breeze that makes her clutch her blanket in fear before slamming the door closed again.

“Do you want my jacket?” Lisa asks casually, genuinely concerned at the prospect of Jennie catching a cold.

“No…” Jennie says in a small voice, still shivering.

Lisa takes her jacket off anyway, passing it to Jennie. “We should get out before the staff starts thinking we couldn’t wait any longer,” she states so casually that Jennie almost doesn’t realize the implication. Almost.

“Lisa!” Jennie gasps dramatically, playfully slapping Lisa’s arm.

Lisa laughs loudly, happy with Jennie’s reaction. Even though she’s a bit younger, Lisa absolutely loves teasing Jennie. “I’m just saying~”

Jennie couldn’t help but pout, having almost forgotten how annoyed she had previously been with their situation. Almost. “I’m still not happy you overslept.”

This time it was Lisa’s turn to pout. “You did too! And it’s not my fault that I couldn't sleep-”

You’re the one who wanted to celebrate with ice cream!” Jennie chastises playfully, feeling herself smile.

“I’m a growing child!”

Jennie smiles, trying not to laugh at how they’re now bickering about Lisa’s love for sweet treats rather than their missed flight. “You’re an adult, Lisa!”

“Well? So are you!”

“C’mon, you gotta have more snark than that,” Jennie claims, moving a little closer. “Or do I need to teach you on how to be as cool as me?”

Lisa grabs Jennie by the collar, pulling her closer once again. Lisa stares, waiting, analyzing every line of Jennie’s face as the older girl backs out of her confidence. Lisa touches their foreheads together, letting Jennie’s collar go without moving away.

“I love you,” Lisa says softly, her words brushing Jennie’s lips the tiniest bit. “But I've also been driving for a few hours and would really like to sleep.”

“I can drive too,” Jennie says the first thing she thinks, her mind suddenly blank thanks to Lisa’s close proximity. She can already feel herself regretting what she just said but Lisa’s looking at her with so much love, so much affection, that she can’t bring herself to care.

“Nah, I’d rather sleep with you,” Lisa replies, grabbing Jennie’s hand and intertwining their fingers.

Jennie’s breath hitches but at least it’s not because they’re holding hands.

Next to you, I mean,” Lisa clarifies quickly with an airy feeling in her voice. “Gosh, you’re so naughty!”
Look who’s talking, Jennie wants to say but she’s lost her voice again.