First Encounter

Captivated

Stray Kids! This Saturday at 7 pm. Be there, or be square! 
(If you're not there, you're not A ROUND - Bang Chan)

Joohyun chuckled as she read the bottom note. Stray Kids is a performance group formed by a couple of kids from her school and a couple that graduated a few years ago. She recognized the name 'Bang Chan' since he is a close friend of her brother.

An arm swings around her shoulder. "Are you going?" Joohyun's best friend, Hyunjin asks.

"I don't think so. I have a lot of work this weekend. I don't think I'd fun either," she replies.

"But I'm going! That means you'll have fun. Just go with me!" Hyunjin persists.

"Can't you go with Haseul instead? I have work to do. I have grades to keep up, you know?"

Hyunjin shook her head aggressively and continued to pull at Joohyun's arm, "It's more fun with you, Joohyun! We don't even have to stay the whole time. We can leave early if you're bored!"

"Let's talk about it later. I'm going to get to class now," Joohyun playfully flicked Hyunjin's forehead and walked off as she released Joohyun's arm to rub her forehead.

"Y-Yah! This conversation isn't over!"

Joohyun rolled her eyes at Hyunjin's last remark and quickly entered the classroom, taking her usual seat and pulling out her book for the next class. The classroom is mostly still empty, with only one other person inside, Seo Changbin. Changbin and Joohyun have never talked before, yet he still slightly intimidated her. Joohyun slightly looked over her shoulder at him, seeing him tap his fingers on his desk with earbuds in his ears. She watches him until he looks up, making eye contact. Joohyun quickly turns back and flips her book to a random page.

The reason Joohyun doesn't want to go to the Stray Kids performance isn't that she doesn't like them, but simply feels uncomfortable in social situations. She's not a loner or anything, but the loud cheers and loud music upset her sensitive ears. She's also considerably short, meaning she won't be able to see anything anyways.

The sound of Changbin's soft humming fills the silence, relaxing Joohyun a bit. She rests her head on her desk, listening to the soft melody coming from the back of the room. Her eyes close and a soft smile appears on her face. For once, Joohyun drifted off to sleep in a classroom. 

Give or take twenty minutes later, the class bell rings, waking her up. Joohyun jolts up at the sound and looks around, confused to as where she is.

She hears a chuckle from behind. "Don't worry, that's the bell for the end of lunch."

It was the first thing Changbin had ever said to Joohyun.

"O-Oh, thanks," she says in a soft voice, giving a small bow to Changbin.

Joohyun feels a slap on her back, causing her to jump in surprise a second time. It was Hyunjin who finally got to class. "Joohyun! Wait, why do you look like that?" 

"What do you mean? Look like what?" Joohyun asked, frantically feeling her face to see if there was drool on her cheeks or weird nap prints.

"Your face is all red. Are you sick?" Hyunjin held the back of her hand to Joohyun's forehead.

Joohyun realized no, she wasn't sick, she was blushing. She furrows her brows in confusion, wondering why in the world would she be blushing. Multiple thoughts crossed her mind until she admits the truth to herself, she was blushing because Changbin caught her flustered like that earlier. It still made no sense to why a small event like that would cause her body to react in that way.

"No, I'm just a bit hot after taking a short nap. That's all."

"Wait, you slept at school? You must be sick afterall," Hyunjin said, furrowing her bows in concern.

"It's fine, just take a seat. Class is starting soon," Joohyun reassured before muttering quietly to herself, "Get it together, Kang Joohyun. What do you think you're doing."

It made absolutely no sense, but in her mind, Joohyun already realized that small moment would change her life.

--

Saturday came around, meaning Stray Kids' performance was that night. Joohyun had heard from Hyunjin that Changbin would be there, so she convinced herself not to go. She couldn't risk falling for him even more. She was still in shock that calming humming was all that it took to make her attracted to him.

It was six thirty at night, half an hour before the show started and Joohyun was at home, getting dressed and ready for a night out with her brother. Joohyun was putting on her necklace when she got a phone call from one of her friends, Haseul.

"Kang Joohyun, you have to get to the Stray Kids performance right now," Haseul said in a serious tone.

Joohyun rolled her eyes, "I already said no like a million times. Please stop forcing me I-"

"Hyunjin passed out."

Without saying another word, Joohyun hung up and flew out the door. She grabbed a taxi and in the car, texted her brother a quick, 'hey, something came up, sorry', and sped inside the venue as she arrived. She pulled out her phone to call Haseul, but at that moment, spotted Hyunjin and Haseul jumping around to the music.

Furious, Joohyun stormed towards the two, "What the heck do you think you guys are doing?"

"This was Hyunjin's idea-" Haseul quickly defended herself.

"I- I just wanted you to let go and have some fun for once," Hyunjin said in a soft voice.

Although Joohyun was mad, she was also glad that Hyunjin was ok. "I actually hate you guys. I took a freaking taxi here. Please refund me the money I spent on that. I also cancelled on Joohyuk for this, so if you guys could make up for that, that would be nice. I'll be going now."

As she turned to leave, Hyunjin grabbed onto her arm, "Joohyun! Now that you're here, just enjoy the performance. They're really good and the type of music you like!"

Joohyun tried to fight it, but the music really was her style. She convinced herself that it was fate that brought her there and that maybe something new wouldn't hurt. Her eyes started to search for the familiar figure of Changbin on stage, but the first person she noticed was him. There it was again, the flushing cheeks.

Changbin stood in the center and began to rap. The smooth flow of his words completely captivated Joohyun. Her eyes were locked on him. His dance moves were sharp, clean, and perfectly on beat. The sound of the music and the screams all cancelled out, all she could hear was him. 

"," she cursed under her breath.