the heart remembers

The Heart Remembers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun has not even had a full day in Japan and he’s already exhausted. He just finished his rehearsals for his upcoming solo concerts and all he want to do is take a relaxing bath and sleep until the next day. He was just about to do just that when there was a frantic knocking on his hotel room.

What could possibly be important at this time?

Thinking nothing of it, he quickly opened the door to his manager who looked visibly worried about something.

“Kyuhyun, have you looked at your phone yet?”

“No, it’s still in my bag. What’s wrong? Could it wait until I at least finish showering? I – “

He didn’t get to finish what he is saying when the man uttered a name that made him stop in his tracks. “It’s Ryeowook.”

The moment his manager said his boyfriend’s name, he knew something was wrong.

“What happened? Why do you look alarmed?” His manager could not answer fast enough so he went to his bag to get his phone.

“Kyuhyun-ah, Ryeowook got into an accident while filming parts of your music video.”

He looked up from looking through his bag when he heard the word accident. There were so many questions going through his mind but his manager continued talking when he failed to respond right away.

“He was being lifted up into the air when the harness broke and… it was a pretty bad fall.”

Kyuhyun finally found his phone. He has over a hundred messages and missed calls but he chose to go to his SNS instead. The first posts in his timeline were of photos that made his blood run cold. They were of Ryeowook on a stretcher, looking so lifeless as paramedics rushed him to an ambulance. He couldn’t think straight. He was just fine when we talked on the phone a couple of hours ago. He was even excited that he will be performing stunts for the music video. He can’t be not okay. He just can’t.

Kyuhyun finally focused on what his manager was saying after looking up from his phone.

“He is being operated on as we speak and we still have no definite news of his condition.”

His heart is pounding so fast. This can’t be happening. Not to Ryeowook.

 “I need to go back to him. He needs me” I need him.

“But your concert.”

“ the concert! Book me a ticket to Korea now.”

“I don’t know if that’s possible, Kyuhyun. We have to check with the organizers and the agency – “

“Hyung, please!” He cried out desperately. “I need to know that he is safe. I can’t stay here. I can’t lose – “ He chokes up before he can even finish and the next thing he knows, tears are falling from his eyes.

Now is not the time for this so with a stronger resolve he said, “I would go even if you forbid me to. No one can stop me and you know that.”

The manager must have sensed that Kyuhyun will not back down. He has always been fearless in situations that involves Ryeowook, after all so he just nodded his assent and hurriedly left to arrange their travel back home.

Kyuhyun hurriedly packed his belongings. All the while asking all the gods that could hear him to keep his beloved safe.

 

 

Kyuhyun flew back to Korea an hour after he found out about his boyfriend’s accident. It only took a little over an hour but for him, it was the longest flight he has taken in his whole life. He has managed to contact Leeteuk, their leader, before leaving Japan but it did nothing to comfort him because all he said was that Ryeowook has a couple of broken bones and has suffered from concussion.

He has only managed to marginally breathe better when Ryeowook’s mom has called him on the car on the way to the hospital.

He was so distracted on his way to the hospital that he didn’t notice that his phone was ringing until the manager told him so.

He looked at the caller and saw that it was Ryeowook’s mom. He was almost afraid to answer it, fearing what the person on the other line would tell him. But still –

“Eomma” It comes out as a sob and he didn’t realize how afraid he was of losing his boyfriend of five years until he heard the sweet voice of Ryeowook’s mom.

“Aigoo, Kyuhyun-ah. Shh, please don’t cry.”

The woman who he considers as a second mom continued to say comforting words over the phone until his sobs has turned into sniffles. Like her son, she has managed to make him feel alright in just a few minutes.

“My son, I’m sorry for worrying you. I just want to check on you. They have told me that you have already arrived from Japan.”

“Yes, eomma. I’m only thirty minutes away from the hospital.” He has stopped crying but he still feels broken.

“That’s good. I also want to tell you that the doctors said that Ryeowook is already in stable condition but they still need to observe him as he hasn’t woken up yet.”

Kyuhyun has let out a huge sigh he didn’t know he was holding. “So he’s going to be okay?”

“He will be. You know how our boy is; he’s strong. Just hurry here safely, okay? I know that he would want to see you right away when he wakes up.”

As soon as the car pulled over the front of the hospital, he jumped out of the car and practically ran to where Leeteuk has said Ryeowook’s room is. Unable to wait any longer to really see for himself that Ryeowook will be okay.

 

The doctors have refused to let anyone in Ryeowook’s room until he wakes up. He put up a fight but when the doctors said that they’re just doing what’s best for Ryeowook, he quickly relented.

When Hyukjae about it a while later to somehow lighten the mood he said, “We both have waited a long time to gather the courage for us to realize how great our love is for each other. I have been patient then and this is no different. I would wait for as long as they need me to if it means that at the end of it all, Ryeowook would again be back in my arms.”

The waiting room grew quiet after that but it didn’t last long because after a few minutes, Ryeowook’s doctor went in and informed them that Ryeowook has woken up.

Kyuhyun immediately stood up from his seat and practically flew to Ryeowook’s room. Finally seeing Ryeowook made his heart flutter. He’s a bit banged up but he’s awake. He’s okay. And that’s all that matters.

Kyuhyun carefully sat by Ryeowook’s side and held his hand.

“Ryeonggu, you gave me a fright.” He didn’t realize that he was crying until Ryeowook touched his cheek to wipe his tears away.

Ryeowook looked confused but that must be because he’s still in a daze from everything that has happened in the last 10 hours.

Kyuhyun nuzzled the hand that is resting on his cheek but Ryeowook just continued to stare at him as if trying to gauge the situation. Seeming to realize where he is for the first time, Ryeowook removed his hand from Kyuhyun’s cheek and finally looked at the other occupants in the room.

His reaction to seeing the others are different to his reaction to seeing Kyuhyun. Instead of the confused look he has given him, he greeted them with a warm smile. “Eomma, Appa… my members. What is happening?”

Before anyone could answer him he turned back to Kyuhyun. The latter didn’t know why but the way the former looked at him made him feel unsettled. Ryeowook touched his cheek again and looked into his eyes. “Why are you crying? And… I’m sorry but who are you?”

 

 

 

For the second time that day, Kyuhyun felt helpless.

The doctors said that Ryeowook has amnesia and it’s just his luck that he could only remember up to the time three months after Super Junior debuted. It means that his boyfriend has no recollection of ever meeting him. He doesn’t know him. At all.

Ryeowook’s parents, sensing his distress both gave him a long reassuring hug and advised him to go back to the dorm for the night so he could rest after the tumultuous day they all had. After everything, he felt like all his energy has been out from him so he just agreed.

In the car on the way home, s kept telling him that everything would eventually be okay. They have to be. They are Ryeowook and Kyuhyun after all.

That night, he didn’t sleep a wink. Worried of the possibility of a future where Ryeowook does not love him.

 

 

 

 

That morning, Kyuhyun got up from bed with a positive outlook.

Rye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter