What We Had

What We Leave Behind

Minkyung set her phone and bag behind the counter and began to arrange the flowers that bloomed throughout the shop, gently running her hand through rows of vividly colored flowers before stopping to rest her fingers on the small section of white flowers tucked away in the corner. Thankful for the warmth of the store protecting the flowers from the biting cold, she bent down to examine the state of her favorites.

 

It's sad that they're only around when death is, Minkyung thought as she gently ruffled through the bunch, because they're so gorgeous.

 

A bell chimed a little ways away from where the florist was standing, signalling that someone had walked into the store, causing her to turn her head and straighten up. Burnt red locks of hear whipped in her face with the breeze that the opened door had let in, and a little bit of snow.

 

A woman had walked in, who was rubbing her hands together to fight off the cold and the chilling breeze that was let into the store when she had opened the door. Why this woman was in the store in the middle of a snow storm, Minkyung had no clue. with all honesty, she was only here because her apartment was right above the store and she wanted to check on how her chrysanthemums were doing.

 

"Good morning," Minkyung called out to the woman, getting her attention off of hanging her coat on the hanger by the door and getting the stranger to look her straight in the face. Her eyes met minkyung's, and she took in the facial features of the newcomer as she asked, "How could I help?"

 

Long brown hair fell in heavy locks around her structured face, framing it beautifully. The stranger was a bit shorter than her, and her cheeks were flushed red from the cold.

 

She's really pretty, the florist thought, her face is like a princess'.

 

"I'd like to buy a flower," the stranger said softly, her voice muffled slightly by the scarf that covered her shoulders up to her chin.

 

Minkyung smiled, before inching closer to the woman with her hand outstretched towards the flowers on display, "Someone must be really lucky for you to go out in a snowstorm to get them flowers. What would you like?"

 

"Ah.. I think the question is," The stranger replied, suddenly seeming nervous in front of the florist, "What would you like?"

 

Minkyung froze slightly, trying to decipher what she had meant, "Do you mean my recommendation?"

 

"No," The woman replied, "I really meant, what would you like?"

 

Minkyung stared slightly as the stranger ran her fingers through her hair, ruffling it slightly, seeming nervous, "I was on my way to work and I saw you through the window, and I had to get you one."

 

The air stood still between the two women as thoughts ran through Minkyung's head at record speed, because no one had ever offered to get her flowers. It probably had been because she was a florist and was surrounded by them all the time, or that she had never really taken enough interest in someone or vice versa to make things like that happen. But this time.. Her heart just warmed at the thought of a complete stranger taking enough of a liking to her, to want to buy her a flower in the middle of a snow storm.

 

"I adore white pentunias," Minkyung smiled, pointing them out to the other woman and she led her towards them. 

 

Softly the pale flowers, the woman grinned at the florist, "I'd like to buy some for you."

 

As Minkyung chose some of the flowers out to put in a vase behind her counter, the woman reached into her purse to pay for the blooms, rummaging through the notes to pay the correct price.

 

"Thank you, for the flowers," Minkyung said with a soft smile, and as a way of introduction, "I'm Minkyung, by the way."

 

The stranger smiled in return, "I'm Yebin."

 

-

 

"Well, you're obviously a florist," Yebin laughed, stirring her coffee across from where Minkyung sat, "But what do you like doing?"

 

The taller girl thoughtfully looked at Yebin, thinking of a reasonable answer.

 

"I like reading a lot, and I like art quite a bit but I'm not the greatest at it," Minkyung answered, after a few moments of silence, and her answer seemed to light something up within the other girl.

 

"You like the arts?" She exclaimed excitedly, "I adore photography!"

 

The younger girl started to talk on and on about her adoration of photography and the sets of film cameras that she owned, and under most circumstances, Minkyung would've been bored out of her mind. But there was something different about Yebin, something that pulled her in and made her want to hang on to every word that the younger girl said.

 

She wasn't sure what it was, what had gotten over her to chase Yebin after she left the shop and ask her out on a date, but she would gladly let the feeling stay since it was what brought her to the younger girl.

 

-

 

Click.

 

"Yebin ah!" Minkyung protested, unaware that the younger girl had been preparing to snap a picture, "I wasn't ready!"

 

"You're beautiful," Yebin says under her breath, pulling the developing film out of the camera slot and putting it on the counter before helping Minkyung unpack the last box, organising the younger girl's plates into the cupboards.

 

"Don't say that just to make things better," The older girl huffed, putting the last plate away before turning around to face her girlfriend. Yebin wrapped her arms loosely around Minkyung's waist, before kissing her quickly and softly.

 

"I mean it, and I always do," The younger girl says, looking the other girl in the eyes before capturing her lips again, for longer.

 

Minkyung smiled against Yebin's lips, knowing that she was the person she wanted to do everything with, the person she wanted to be everywhere with, the person she wanted to build her home with.

 

Minkyung's run down apartment might not have been the most ideal of places, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

 

..Even if Yebin had accidentally broken and spilled the remainders of her red hair dye whilst unpacking her things for the bathroom, leaving Minkyung, who wasn't bothered to find the exact shade again, to grow out her natural hair color.

 

-

 

The younger girl had presented a large book to Minkyung on the night of their fourth anniversary, her grin as wide as her face.

 

"What's this?" The brunette asked, flipping open the cover to beautiful cursive across the first page.

 

"Happy anniversary," Yebin answered, quickly kissing Minkyung before settling down her to her, as she flipped through the pages.

 

They were neatly labelled with the seasons, starting with winter, and the pages were adorned with photos that Yebin had taken, along with the occasional picture that Yebin had trusted a stranger to take of the two of them. There were pictures from the first café they sat down at together, and the snowy hills where Yebin had insisted they go skiing, along with a couple of shots that the younger girl had taken from outside of the shop window, capturing Minkyung completely off guard with her flowers. As she turned the pages, memories blurred together; the beach house that they'd rented out with spiders in the cupboards, Minkyung delightedly looking at the flowers at a field on a picnic, Yebin's face lighting up at an arcade they'd discovered together, the pair wrapped around each other at a dinner party that Minkyung's mother had held for her little sister, Siyeon, who had graduated from high school.

 

The years melted together, Minkyung smiling at everything that they'd experienced together. Her long fingers gently flipped through pages upon pages of Yebin's photos before she stopped at a page with no label, no pictures, nothing but a small question mark in the middle of the page.

 

"..Yebin?" Minkyung started to ask, before she turned to her side and saw what her girlfriend had.

 

With the happiest glint in her eyes, Yebin had in her hands the most gorgeous object she could imagine; there were small, intricate designs on the ring, which where two thin bands wrapping around each other, meeting in the middle to hold a gorgeous diamond.

 

"Kim Minkyung, you're all I ever want," Yebin started, tears forming in the older girl's eyes, "And you're all I ever will want. Will you-"

 

Cut off by the sudden contact between hers and Minkyung's lips, the older girl held the kiss for a few moments, before pulling back and laughing softly, "You're so silly; I was meant to propose, Yebin."

 

Minkyung pulled out what had been weighing down the pocket of the well pressed button down shirt she had worn; a small band of silver, with a similar diamond that glinted in the light of their living room, accompanied by two smaller diamonds that sat on either side of the ring.

 

-

 

Minkyung blinked the sleep out of her eyes, and shifted slowly to face Yebin, whose arms were still loosely wrapped around the taller girl's waist. The sun filtered through the white curtains, spilling it's rays onto Yebin's still sleeping face. Minkyung gently brushed the hair that had gone astray through the night away from the younger girl's face, running her fingers softly along the slope of Yebin's jaw in the process.

 

The gesture had woken her up slightly, but not enough for the younger girl to open her eyes or form a coherent sentence, instead opting to bring herself closer to Minkyung and rest her head in the crook of her neck.

 

"Good morning to you too," The older girl whispered, wrapping her own arm across Yebin's torso and planting a soft kiss to her forehead.

 

Minkyung thought it was perfect.