Into the new world

Feb (Af)Fair

"Seulgi you have to come this year!" Krystal bellowed through the phone. "My sister's clothing line is a major sponsor and I can get you an exclusive pass."

"But Krystal I have plates I need to submit-", Seulgi started to reason.

"That are due two weeks from now," her friend cut off. "Yes, I know. We're graduating this year and you haven't attended a single school fair so it's officially my mission to drag you to one."

The university's Feb Fair seemed to be a semestral highlight for students. Always teeming with energy and crowds, Seulgi doesn't know if she can adapt in that environment. Professional bands and performers as well as in-house university talents never fail to light up the stage. In addition to that, they always have a nice selection of food within the fair. And Krystal just knows how exactly to bait her friend.

"Drag me? But Krystal won't you be busy with your sister? I can't let you neglect work."

"Bear dearie, Jessica-unnie practically shoved extra tickets to my hands," the woman on the other line drawled out. "I have coupons for food stalls too."

"Fine... you had me at food," the bear finally conceded.

"Yes! I'll pick you up tomorrow after class at your dorm. Also, don't you dare bail on me. Bye!"

The call was ended enthusiastically and Seulgi found herself staring at her phone blankly in the middle of the corridor. With both of them in the visual arts department, it's not difficult to spot each other in the hallway but they've gotten busier.

She must've thought we're not spending as much time together.

Truth be told, she missed her friend too. This would be their last hurrah before letting their studies take over the rest of the semester.

But tomorrow is Valentine's day.

"Fudge! She's going to ditch me for Kai anyway. Damn it Krystal."

-------

"Oppa! Why are our names written on the list of performers?"

The man turned around from fixing his violin and turned to the voice.

"Wendy, you're already graduating and I'm leaving for America next month. Don't you want to play one last set?" Henry said with a smile.

The girl's panic was calmed for a bit. Her cousin helped her push through music and taught her a lot about it. Performing together at the fair is the least of their worries.

"But I thought you only wanted to perform on concert stages?" Wendy was confused.

"Ah, about that," he mused for a bit. "Having a classical stage in a concert hall is nice but the energy at the fair would be much better."

The girl only cocked her head sideways in more confusion.

"University music festival is the alternate name for the Feb Fair so anyone can experience different styles of music from one stage. The pieces I got for our set should suit our time frame just fine." He explained. "And besides, it would be Valentine's day so romantic strings wouldn't be bad, no?"

Wendy nodded slowly, only comprehending a portion of his words.

Henry then handed her some music sheets with the pieces and his arrangement of the songs. She stuffed them through her bag and turned to leave when her cousin said something that surprised her.

"Oh, I should probably mention that we're the last classical musicians to play in the fair then the famous artists would be right next to us."

The brunette stood still at the news. There was a chance for her to meet the members of the big league. Henry's next sentence though, doused her excitement with pressure.

"I thought it would be really cool if we introduce them with a classical instrument version of their song." He then laughed lightly, betraying his excitement.

I'll do my best.

------

Today is Valentine's day and love is in the air... or so it seems.

For all the purity of the event about expressing love to people close to you, Seulgi has already become sick of all the balloons and flowers going around. It's not even noon and the extravagance around the arts department is close to exhausting her.

"Why did I even agree to go with her tonight if it's going to be like this?" She groaned aloud.

Aside from the usual flowers and chocolates going around, there were impressive ones like their crushes' portrait on a canvas.

It doesn't change that everything right now makes her feel frustrated at everyone though.

-----

Wendy finished up her last impromptu gig for the day and is now preparing for their performance tonight.

Throughout the day, people have been pulling her around left and right to help them serenade the person they like. It's at times like this that being able to play lots of instruments can be quite bothersome.

Lisa asked her to play the violin and follow Jisoo as she makes her way to meet the exchange student by the park.

Joy conned her into playing the saxophone for their "hot" professor while the tall girl danced ily. Don't ask her why.

Lastly, Henry, of all people made her play the guitar looking like a totally out of place third wheel while he sang to his girlfriend that quickly escalated to a high school musical-esque setting.

She may have a soft spot for romantic things but a person can only take so much.

"Ah, I guess it's fine if they're all happy," she mused to herself. She's looking forward to making even more people sappily happy and tonight is the perfect opportunity.

She just can't wait.

----

The fair was packed with people of all ages in the afternoon. It was quite an unexpected yet welcome sight. Right now, children with their parents are seen touring around fancy rides and game stalls, groups of friends can be seen goofing off and having a fun time and last but not the least, couples flit around, ranging from those going around shyly on their dates to the ones sharing sweet kisses in secluded corners.

Blissfully into the late afternoon, Seulgi and Krystal simply roamed around from stall to stall while a traditional performance is taking place on stage.

"Wow, I never expected this sort of thing when we got here," Seulgi exclaimed.

"That's because you allow yourself to become a recluse," Krystal replied. "I swear if I never dragged you to any place through the years you might've been a hermit with only pringles for food."

Just as the monolid was about to protest, her friend then greeted her boyfriend, Kai with his friends.

They all shared a brief yet warm greeting. Though Seulgi only managed a wave the guy swept her up in a brotherly hug after exchanging kisses with Krystal. They soon parted ways just as quick but agreed to later meet up right before the big acts play.

The two friends then settled on a bench nearby to eat some of the light snacks they bought before going for one of the rides.

Krystal said that they are more pleasant at night.

-------

Two hours before their designated time, the official ballet troupe for the university just finished their act to be followed by two of the most famous chorales within the school and two other classical acts. So far, the theme was consistent with all the pieces connected to different sorts of love.

Glad that Henry had the decency to prepare their equipment backstage, Wendy now has time to roam for a bit and maybe get something to eat. She wouldn't be needed for an hour anyway.

In her regular get-up of hoodie and glasses under a light coat, she blended in the crowd in search for appealing food. She finally found a shop that sells quite a serving of japchae with dumplings on the side. When she finally got her food, she searched for an empty bench, or one without a couple.

Luckily for her, only one woman was occupying the nearest bench.

-----

Seulgi is currently alone. As it turns out, the younger ice princess still has to do a bit of work since she got called by her sister a few minutes ago.

Without anyone to accompany her, she made herself comfortable on the bench and watched everything go by for a while.

From the corner of her eye, she spotted someone approach where she is. They don't seem hostile and the person is carrying food. Probably looking for a place to sit.

Before she can even ask, Seulgi moved a bit more to one end of the bench with her and Krystal's empty food containers as silent permission to sit with her. Behind her glasses, the brightness of the girl's grateful smile was not missed by the bear, making her blush lightly.

Silence enveloped the two occupants of the bench. The atmosphere of the fair was quite tranquil from afar, Seulgi observed and the girl sitting with her doesn't give off any unpleasant vibes. Her watching activity was suddenly cut short when a voice spoke up.

"How's the fair so far?"

The girl was trying to start a conversation.

"I don't know if it's good or bad but I'm having fun so far."

"I guess I could say the same," the girl replied. "I'm graduating and it's just my first time here so I can't really compare it with anything."

Seulgi turned to the girl when she heard it's her first time too. The two of them must be surrounded by coincidences. First, they both approached the bench to eat. Another thing is that they are both alone and chose to slip from the crowd.

"Well it can't be helped, I guess," Seulgi is now fidgeting in her seat. "College makes everyone a bit crazy on work so I don't usually go out."

"Then that's more reason to enjoy tonight right?" Once again, the bear is blinded with her smile and prompted her to do something out of her comfort zone.

"Hey, uhh do you want to get on some of the rides later? After you finish eating I mean."

"I would like to..."

Figuring out that they haven't introduced themselves, Seulgi went ahead.

"My name is Seulgi, Kang Seulgi."

"Okay then. I would like to go on rides with you Seulgi." She stuck out a hand, "I'm Seungwan, by the way."

----

Wendy never expected that she would have a new friend so quickly. As promised, the two of them are going around searching for the best attractions in the fair.

Unexpectedly, Seulgi grabbed her by the wrist and led them to a haunted house. The shorter girl can't fathom why it's here. But before she knew it, the two of them have lined up behind the short queue.

"Hey Seulgi, isn't it a bit early to go inside a horror house? It's not that dark yet."

"Oh, is it? I just thought it could be a warm up, you know. And we just ate too," the taller girl explained. "We wouldn't to throw up so suddenly, right?"

It's a good idea that they had some laughs before screaming their heads off inside.

------

When they finally reached the end, they burst out laughing, leaning onto each other after their wild experience.

"Oh my gosh I thought you were the banshee inside Seungwan. Those high notes are no joke."

"Speak for yourself Seulgi. You almost pulled my arm off when that ghost sneaked up on you."

The taller girl was about to ask if it's a go for the ferris wheel to calm themselves a bit when Wendy suddenly got a call. It seemed urgent as the petite girl asked for them to go someplace quiet and was intently listening to the person on the other line.

When the call finished, Wendy turned to her with sad eyes.

"I have to go now Seulgi," the smaller girl spoke up. "Thanks for your time, I really had fun and it was nice meeting you." With one last smile, the brunette turned away and hurried to wherever she's needed.

Once again, Seulgi is alone. She then found herself mingling nearby the stage listening to some classical songs.

 

-----

 

 

I have twitter if you wanna talk

@Fluffmeup2