Prologue: Meet Kim Sunggyu

Maybe This Time

Throughout his life, Kim Sunggyu was focused on only one thing: his studies.

Maybe because he was the only son and had to prove he could provide for the family. Maybe because he had the brains and the determination so he felt it was only rightfully so. Or maybe because in his freshman year of high school, he realized he was gay when he developed a crush on the captain of the soccer team and he figured, he was probably going to be single for the rest of his life, anyway, so why not be productive?

After high school graduation, he moved from his small hometown of Jeonju to attend college in Seoul. By then, his perspectives had changed and he became determined to get a boyfriend – or, at the very least, start dating. He was tired of being lonely and un-kissed at age 19. He wasn’t getting any younger after all and he wanted to know what all the fuss about relationships was about.

It was harder than he thought. Despite his University friends often telling him how cute and attractive he was and his parents’ friends constantly asking him to date their daughters, no other guy seemed to think the same.

By the end of his first semester as a sophomore, he was ready to give up and just fly through life, solo. That was when Nam Woohyun came into his life.

Ahhh, Nam Woohyun. He had somewhat of a University reputation. Smart. Athletic. Friendly. And handsome. Really handsome. The whole package. The type of guy you’d love to bring home to mother. However… he was also a playboy.

But, Sunggyu didn’t know any of that, really. He wasn’t one to concern himself with campus reputations and all that. All he knew was that Nam Woohyun was in his Intro to Music Theory class. It was an elective but very small. Sunggyu had taken it for fun.

He and Nam Woohyun had worked on a group project together. Sunggyu had been the designated leader whereas Nam Woohyun was the most outspoken member with plenty of thoughts and ideas to share. The other 3 girls in the group couldn’t stop making googly eyes at the popular guy. And Sunggyu had to admit he could feel an attraction as well. But, that was only for a semester. After that class, he rarely saw Nam Woohyun again. Mostly in passing and the other would often wave at him in a friendly manner.

Until one day, he happened to be next in line to the other while getting a sandwich at the cafeteria. The dining hall was full so they had opted to share a table together. They ended up talking for a long time, getting to know each other. It turned out that Woohyun was pre-law and was trying to get into Law School. Sunggyu was a mass communications major with a minor in music, but he also wanted to be a songwriter.

Two hours later, it occurred to Sunggyu how close Woohyun was sitting to him, how the other’s knee was touching his knee, and somehow, during the conversation, Woohyun’s arm had casually slung across the back of the booth they were sitting in, only a breath away from touching Sunggyu’s shoulder.

His heart had hammered so hard and fast against his chest as his ears burned with a sure blush. He had never been this close to a handsome guy before. And Woohyun was giving him this look… a curious and fascinated one.

“You know… you’re really cute, Sunggyu-shii,” the other stated in a soft, deep voice that made Sunggyu shiver.

“T-Thanks,” Sunggyu had stammered back. “Y-You too.”

Woohyun had smirked then. “Really? How come you never said anything before?”

Sunggyu could only say, “You were always looking at the girls. I just thought…”

“That I was straight?”

Sunggyu had nodded. Woohyun had chuckled.

“I don’t really label myself. If you’re cute to me, you’re cute,” he had replied. “And you’re definitely cute. You have the cutest eyes I’ve ever seen.”

“Y-Yah, don’t make fun of my eyes!”

“I’m not. They really are cute.” Woohyun had leaned in close then. “I could almost drown in them.”

“T-That’s… cheesy,” Sunggyu had replied, lamely.

Woohyun had hummed as his eyes fell down to Sunggyu’s lips. “And your lips look soft. I bet all the guys and girls who had kissed you thought so too.”

“I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been kissed.”

It was at that admittance that Woohyun’s eyes sparkled. “Really?”

Sunggyu had gulped. “R-Really.”

And that was the story of how Sunggyu got his first kiss.

Fireworks didn’t explode like they said it would in those movies. He didn’t hear any music either. And he could still make out the sounds of the other students chatting and eating around them.

But, he did feel his mind go blank and a warmth he had never felt before go through his body. The lips against his had been soft, gentle, and sweet.

So when Woohyun pulled away, Sunggyu had unconsciously moved forward for more, which the other enthusiastically met. Woohyun’s lips were addictive.

When the second kiss broke, Sunggyu was red as a tomato and was breathing like he just ran a marathon.

Meanwhile, Woohyun smiled. “Do you want to go to the movies tomorrow?” he had asked in a sweet voice.

On the inside, Sunggyu’s head was going, “I have a date. I’m going on a date. It’s my first date. Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh.”

But on the outside, he simply felt himself nodding, not saying a word.

The date went well. They saw a movie. Had dinner. Took an evening walk. Kissed good night. The whole shebang.

And for the next week, Sunggyu had felt like he was floating on cloud nine. The only thing that came out of his mouth the most was “Woohyun this” and “Woohyun that”. His friends were happy for him, they really were. Yet, they were also worried.

Because although Sunggyu and Woohyun had spent many moments together texting, eating, holding hands, and kissing (lots of kissing), not once had Woohyun referred to Sunggyu as a boyfriend. In fact, he hardly referred to Sunggyu as anything at all.

Sunggyu didn’t really mind at first, preferring to be patient and wait for Woohyun to tell him his real feelings. He, himself, could feel himself falling and it was one of the most exhilarating feelings he had ever felt in his life. It was more than a crush. He was truly falling. And he didn’t know how to stop. Because if he did, he would have stopped it earlier.

One day, while out with his friend Dongwoo and Dongwoo’s girlfriend Ailee, he saw Woohyun with a girl. They were standing too close to one another. The girl was smiling like Christmas came early and she just got the best present ever. And Woohyun was flashing that flirtatious grin that Sunggyu used to think was reserved only for him (he really should have known better than to think that). And he was twirling that girl’s hair so fondly, as if he had always done it.

Have you ever seen a crystal vase shatter? Heard the piercing sound as it makes contact with the ground and the pieces flying everywhere?

At that moment, Sunggyu’s heart felt just like that.

For a few days, he didn’t text Woohyun. The other made no attempt to text first, either. It occurred to Sunggyu that it had always been him who texted first. 

Finally, after five days of no contact, on a cold winter evening, Sunggyu asked Woohyun to dinner. The latter agreed. They met up at a simple Chinese restaurant and had noodles. They amicably talked about their classes, upcoming tests, and the like. Sunggyu barely finished his food, as the knots in his stomach prevented him from even enjoying the yummy noodles.

On their way back to campus, Sunggyu asked the question that had been nagging in his mind.

“Woohyun, what are we?”

The other hummed. “I’m not really sure.”

Sunggyu had stopped walking then and Woohyun turned to look at him, a “sorry” expression marring his handsome face.

Sunggyu had bitten his lips and continued, “Then, I need to know. Because I… I want a serious relationship, not a fling. So, I have to ask… Do you see this… us… going anywhere?”

It took but a moment for the University heartthrob to sigh and shake his head. “I’m sorry. You’re a great guy, you really are. But, no. I’m not looking for anything serious, right now. And I don’t really see us being anything more.”

Sunggyu’s heart completely shattered. He felt like he had just been played. Or, perhaps he had played himself.

He'd been a fool to even a think that he was worth anyone’s time, worth a handsome and popular guy like Woohyun’s time. He should have seen the signs before he left himself fall so deep and so fast.

Nonetheless, he forced a smile and said, “Then, I don’t think I can see you anymore. Whatever it was we’ve been doing, we have to stop.”

He had half-hoped Woohyun would say “no”. He had a lingering hope that the other would wish to try.

But, Woohyun had only nodded. “Okay. I’m sorry.”

They hugged for the last time and parted ways. Sunggyu went straight to Dongwoo’s dorm, interrupting his time with Ailee, and crying into both of their shoulders.

The whole affair lasted exactly two weeks.

Time passed. The pain eventually stopped. Sunggyu got over it. He even laughed at himself for it.

He and Woohyun often crossed paths at University and would politely say “hi” to each other. Sometimes, they would make small talk. Sometimes, Woohyun was alone and other times he was with another girl or guy.

It didn’t matter to Sunggyu anymore. He began dating someone else, an older student named Kim Heechul. Suffice to say, he was happy.

Heechul was his first real relationship and he gave him his all, including his ity. He could even say that he had fallen deeply in love with Heechul and both had even planned their future together. Being in a real relationship with a person who genuinely liked him for him was bliss.

The University playboy became nothing but a passing memory and a lesson learned.

Sunggyu and Heechul dated for four years, but it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows like he always imagined relationships to be.

Although the couple had a few things in common, they clashed on so many others, leading to various fights and angry tears, leaving Sunggyu’s self-esteem in shambles. After breaking up and getting back together at least twice, it came to the point that their differences were finally much too apparent and they broke up for the third time – for good.

At 27, Sunggyu was now an assistant editor for the lifestyle magazine, Diamond, for the music section.  He had come out to his family when he started dating Heechul and suffice to say, they weren’t happy about it. Although they didn’t disown him, his relationship with them had become strained over the years, even after the breakup. As soon as he could, Sunggyu moved out of his childhood home and Jeonju and started living on his own in Seoul.

He was content, really. His job was a decent, though he sometimes wished for more than what it offered. His dating life was lacking, but he didn’t let it bother him. He was done with trying to be in relationships that did nothing but ruin his self-esteem and make him lose faith in love.

Life was simple. Uneventful. Sometimes, Sunggyu wondered where his ambitions went, but perhaps the dose of reality from college had awakened him to the reality that sometimes, life just didn’t go the way you want it to.

But, he had no time to ponder on it. He had work to do, friends to hang out with, and dramas to watch.

However, like he said, life didn’t go exactly the way you want it to.

 


A/N: Hi, everyone! To new readers, welcome!

To my old readers, how are you, guys?! I know, I know. I said I was taking a break and I did. It was refreshing and good for the soul, but I just couldn't get away from writing. I had this story playing in my head the week after I started my break and I started writing bits and pieces of it so I thought, why not just start it?

So, a small part of this story is based on personal experience but the rest is pure fiction. I'm sure you've all heard of the concept of "the one who got away". This is something that's kind of like that and explores the possibility of second chances with someone you initially believed was all wrong for you. After all, people grow and change from the moment you first meet them. Perhaps, if they weren't the right one for you before, perhaps they can be the right one for you now. But, the question is whether you would take that risk. 

This story will be written in Sunggyu's perspective but perhaps I'll change my mind later on and have Woohyun's too. For now, the plan is 10 chapters in total, including the Epilogue, so it's not too long. 

By all means, let me know your thoughts on this little introduction to Sunggyu. He's still a character that I'm getting to know myself so I'm quite curious to see what you all think!

'Til the next one!