Heartbreak Girl

Heartbreak Girl

They met under the weirdest circumstance.

 

It was one of those nights that Brian didn't feel like going out. He wasn't in the mood to do anything that night. Exams just finished but he was badly drained; sleepless nights were dedicated to studying. And all he wanted to do was sleep and sleep all day long. But his best friend had a different thing in mind.

 

Instead of enjoying the comforts of his bed, he was dragged to play in one of the pubs somewhere in Hongdae. He and his best friend were in a band with a three of their schoolmates and they would accept offers from small clubs and pubs from time to time. But he had no idea why would even his best friend take one when he knew they were all exhausted from the exams.

 

“It’s for us to chill and relax dude.” Jae, his best friend, encouragingly told him. They have finished setting up their instruments and finally on stage.

 

When he was still in Canada, his friends over there got him hooked up with playing and creating music. And it became his passion years ago. He couldn't remember exactly when did it start but he just woke up one day, determined to write music. Guitar, bass, piano and drums; those were mainly the instruments he learned to play. And for their band, he’s on bass.

 

Their set started a little after 8, the place a little crowded already. There were even students from their university inside the pub, probably unwinding as well. He was supposed to be one of them; if only his best friend didn't drag him out there.

 

Regardless of his internal complaints, he knew himself that he enjoys being on stage the best.

 

There he was, enjoying the music they were playing on stage when he caught sight of her. Someone unfamiliar but piqued his curiosity. They regularly played at that pub and got familiar with most of their patrons. But it was his first time seeing her.

 

Despite being on stage, he could clearly see her from his position. A girl dressed in all black was sitting alone by the bar, her eyes staring at nowhere. The entire time they were playing, he had his eyes on her; waiting for her to even look up. But not once she did.

 

She remained unfazed; given the lively atmosphere inside the pub. And it only got him curious even more.

 

‘This is real. Let’s take a chance and don’t ever look back.’

 

He was singing the final line for Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream when she finally lifted her head up, their eyes accidentally meeting.

 

And that night was when he met her.

 

She’s got those electrifying eyes; as if her gaze can pierce through your soul. She had the face of an angel; but she was one walking mystery. Her eyes were void of emotions. But he could tell she’s someone not to mess to.

 

“Are you alright?” He braved himself up and asked her. He has occupied the stool chair next to her for a few minutes when he realized she was in tears. Right after cleaning up their instruments, he took the chance and joined her.

 

“I’m okay.” Was all she said, her voice cold. She spoke as if she didn't want anyone to bother her. But that didn't bother him though. Instead, he offered her the handkerchief he had inside his coat pocket.

 

“My mom always told me that I shouldn't leave a girl while she’s crying alone.” He told her, offering her his hanky again. He knew he had to make up something just so he could talk to her.

 

Her, crying didn't look good at all. Her doll like eyes were too beautiful to even shed tears; and looking at her with those tear stained eyes, made him think what kind of awful person would even let such angel cry.

 

“Didn't your mom tell you it’s not polite to meddle with someone else’s business?” She snapped back, instantly switching to English language which he understood so clearly. The lady was fierce despite being in such situation. And it made him admire her even more.

 

He could tell she was trying to show she’s strong. When she’s clearly breaking down. And again, that didn't bother him.

 

“She did. But I can't just stand there and watch someone like you cry on your own. Those pretty eyes of yours don't deserve to shed tears.” He offered her a smile; a genuine one. And with light hands, he reached up to wipe her tears away with his own handkerchief.

 

His actions obviously surprised the lady; she stared back at him, a frown on her forehead. And he ignored that. Instead, he made sure her face was dry of tears already. Doing that, he was given a clear view of her face.

 

She looked way prettier without those tears.

 

“Who are you? And why are you even talking to me?” Her voice turned into soft whispers, though she was questioning him. And probably his intentions.

 

“I’ll be your angel from now on.”


 

And it all started from there. He was brave enough to ask for her number; he was determined to get to know her even more. He found out that they go to the same university; only in different departments.

 

Their first meeting was soon followed by a second one, third one,fourth one and till they meet up regularly before and after school. At first, she was hesitant and way too aloof. She didn't find anyone trustworthy at all. It took him quite some time to make her open up to him.

 

When she finally did, he was on cloud 9. It only meant one thing. She trusts him already.

 

“He’s an idiot for cheating on you. He wasted his chance.” A disapproving look was on his face, even shaking his head.

 

They were inside the coffee shop they normally go to after school when she told him the reason why she was crying when they first met. It was the same night she found out that her boyfriend of 2 years was cheating on him. And to make it worst, it was their second anniversary.

 

He understood the pain she’ve gone through. But what he couldn't comprehend was how can even the guy cheat on her? Sitting right in front of him was a girl that anyone would like and love.

 

“Said he’s tired of me.” She added, her voice laced with sadness. A sigh also escaped her lips, her gaze wandering outside as she blankly watch the people passing by.

 

“I will never get tired of you.” He told her sincerely. Watching the girl in front of him reminisce about her awful past hurts him. She was amazing overall, and she didn't deserve the kind of treatment she got from her ex boyfriend.

 

It wasn't just right.

 

“Won't you? Really?” A sad smile was on her face as she asked him. Their eyes met, the two of them locked in a staring game.

 

Through her eyes, he can tell she was afraid. That there were still hesitations. But he’s more than willing to erase them all.

 

“I won’t. I’m your guardian angel, remember?” He offered her a small smile, even reaching out to pinch her cheek lightly. And that made the girl in front of him frown.

“Brian. Stop.” She scolded, her eyes widened, which he only answered with laughter. One minute, she was all sad and on the verge of crying. Next second, she was acting like an angry cat.

 

Ahhhh. Jennie Kim is indeed one of a kind. Her antics still surprises him from time to time. The saying ‘small but terrible’ definitely applies to her.


 

“Bri.” He looked up from the book he was reading when he heard that voice which happened to be so familiar for him now.

 

They were inside her house’s living room, books sprawled out on the coffee table as they were both immersed with studying.

 

It has been one of those nights that they chose to stay in, all because of the exams that will be held in a week.

 

“Yeah?” He hummed in return, looking at her.

 

Jennie looked so carefree as he stared at her. Comfortably dressed in one of his sweatshirts and a pair of jogging pants, Jennie sat cross legged across him. She had her hair in a messy bun, her cat eye framed glasses sitting atop her nose.

 

“Why did you approach me that night?” The question was asked out of the blue. Her eyes were filled with curiosity as she waited for him to answer.

 

The question rang in his head again. Why did he approach her that night?

 

He’d seen girls crying or even bawling their eyes out in public. But no one has even made him do what he did to her. It was even his first time to have that kind of courage.

 

“I don't know. All I know was I just had to make you stop crying. Because it doesn't suit you.” He straightforwardly answered her, even shrugging his shoulder.

 

And based on her reaction, he could tell she wasn't satisfied with his answer.

 

“I had that urge to make you smile. I wanted to see you smiling instead of crying. And I cannot answer why. It was something I never felt even from before.” He added, before turning his attention back to the book he was reading while Jennie remained silent.

 

Moments has passed and she didn't utter a word anymore. It got him curious.

 

Their eyes met when he finally looked up again; only to realize that Jennie has been staring at him the entire time.

 

“Why? Is there something on my face?” He asked, puzzled. But in return, she just shook her head.

 

“Is there a problem?” He pressed. Judging the look she was giving him, and the way how her forehead formed a crease, he could tell something was bothering her.

 

“Nothing.” She quietly mumbled, tearing her gaze off him and instead focused on the book she had in front of her.

 

But he won't easily give up.

 

In a swift moment, he grabbed the book from her hand, placing it aside. He gently took her hand, giving it a soft squeeze.

 

“Hey. What’s wrong? You look bothered?” He asked again, but this time, he moved next to her.

 

He heard her sigh, shaking her head.

 

“If you’re worried I’m gonna do the same as your stupid ex boyfriend; leave you hanging and go for someone else then you better get that thought out of your head.” He offered her a comforting smile, before adding. “Because I wouldn't. You’re way too special for me.”

 

“Why?” Was her question again.

 

It was normal for someone like her to question his intention. But he’s okay with that. He’s more than willing to work hard so she can finally open her heart to him.

 

“Because I just know it. Since that night, I promised myself I’ll take care of you; make you smile.” He sincerely told her, every word he uttered coming straight from his heart.

 

“No one has made my heart beat like crazy with a simple smile. Only you have that power in me Jennie.”

 

And he finally admitted to himself, he loved her.


 

“Who are you waiting for?” Brian just left his last class and was about to leave the building when he saw her waiting by the entrance. He knew she was waiting for someone; she kept on craning her head from left to right, probably looking for a specific person.

 

Jennie looked surprised as she turned to him, obviously not expecting to see him. And her reaction made him frown.

 

Why does it feel like she didn't want him to see her there?

 

Before she could even answer, realization hit him. She’s from the College of Medicine, yet there she was, standing outside the College of Business’ building. She wasn't waiting for him. She’s waiting for someone else.

 

But he tried to take that thought out of his head. No, Jennie wouldn't do that.

 

“Jennie!” A voice called out, making the two of them turn their heads.

 

Walking over to them was the guy he wanted to beat up since the first night he saw Jennie crying. What made his blood boil was the smile on the guy’s face. He was smiling as if he didn't make anyone cry; anyone suffer from the pain he inflicted.

 

But what made everything worse was his next action. The moment he stopped in front of Jennie, he leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead.

 

That simple gesture brought him too many emotions. He felt as if he was being drenched by a bucket of ice cold water; his fists balled on his sides. He wanted to beat the out of someone; in specific, him. Who gave him the right to do that when he made her cry in the first place?

 

Why was he even there? Didn't he leave Jennie crying and broken? Why was he acting like nothing has happened?

 

“Did I make you wait?” Johnny asked, that annoying smile still on his face. His eyes turned to look at Jennie; she was staring back at him with an apologetic look.

 

“B-Brian, I want you to meet Johnny.” She tore her gaze off him and turned to look at the newcomer, a forced smile on her lips. Soon enough, Johnny was looking at him, also smiling.

 

It only made him mad. Why does it feel like his smile was taunting him?

 

“Hey. It’s nice to meet you man. I’m Johnny, Jennie’s boyfriend.” The guy even offered his hand for a handshake but he only looked at his outstretched hand. He has no plans of returning his courtesy. After what he did to Jennie?

 

His action sure surprised Jennie. But he didn't care. He was hurt enough to see her running back to the same person who gave her so much pain. Who made her life miserable.

 

And there he was, thinking that they were all good. When in reality, she’d still come running back to Johnny. The thought made his broken heart ache even more. It was painful.

 

Giving Jennie one last pained look, he walked away from them. He didn't look behind, not even when Jennie called his name.

 

His heart was in pieces. He was puzzled by everything. Didn't he make it clear to her already? How he liked her? Weren't they just planning a movie date last night when they were on the phone?

 

And it made him question himself. His efforts, weren't they enough to make Jennie happier than she was with Johnny? All he wanted is for her to be happy. He thought she’d seen that happiness with him. Every single minute they spent together, he made sure she was happy. That she’d feel loved and cherished.

 

With heavy steps, he left the university premises.



 

‘Brian. Talk to me please. Let me explain.’

 

‘I want to see you. Let’s talk this out, please. Hear me out.’

 

‘I’ll be expecting your call. Let’s talk.’

 

‘I miss you.’

 

‘I’m sorry. Please, just talk to me. I know you’re listening to my voice messages. It hurts when you ignore me like this.’

 

‘Bri. I miss you.’

 

He tossed his phone back on his bed after playing the last message he got from Jennie. It has been a week already since he last saw and talked to her. And every day, his phone has been bombarded by messages from her.

 

He misses her too; probably more than she does. But he was hurt. So hurt that he couldn't even face her. The places they’ve visited regularly were places he’s been avoiding for the past days. It was something he needed to do. He needed to be far away from her.

 

“This is crazy.” He mumbled to himself, running a hand through his hair. He couldn't even focus on the lyrics he was trying to write. All he could think about was her; her smiles, her cute little giggles and just her.

 

It was so bad; so bad that he’d sometimes wish he’d wake up with amnesia. That was the only way he could think of to forget about her. Every little thing reminds him of her. He was going crazy.

 

Another sigh escaped his lips, his eyes darting over to his phone which lit up the same moment. But instead of seeing Jennie’s beautiful face, it flashed a different one; his best friend.

 

“Hey.”

 

‘We have a set tonight. I’ll pick you up in 30.’ Was all Jae said and soon ended the call. Without any other choice, he got up from his seat and started getting ready.

Ever since the night he met her, it will be the first time he’d play without her watching them from the sidelines. No one would be there to greet him after he gets off from the stage. No smiling Jennie Kim, waiting for him to finish their set.

 

But he gotta live with it. Jennie’s not his anymore. She never was.


 

Jennie’s POV

 

‘This is Brian. Sorry I can't take your call right now. You can leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Bye.’

 

‘I really miss you. I hope you’ll talk to me again.’

 

It was the hundredth time she’d heard the same message after dialing Brian’s number. And the same words echoed in her head again.

 

He was avoiding her. And she knew exactly why. She hurt him big time. Knowing she’s the main reason behind that also kills her. And she couldn't do anything about it.

 

Hundreds of text messages were sent; voicemail messages left in his inbox but none of those were returned. Every single time her phone would light up; she’d pray it would flash his name. She waited for days, now turned to weeks. But still, she heard nothing from him.

 

“Ahh. This is so frustrating.” She sighed, burying her face into her hands. She was inside the same coffee shop she and Brian would normally visit, hoping she’d come across him. Hours had passed but no signs of him at all. Seems like he’s avoiding every place where he knew he would see her.

 

“Are you okay?” A kind voice asked her. Looking up, she saw one of the crews of the cafe staring down at her with worried yet questioning eyes.

 

“Oh. I’m okay. Just, don't mind me.” She flashed the girl a forced smile, before turning her attention back to her phone. A message notification popped up, and in an instant her fingers were excitedly swiping across the screen, in a hurry to read it.

 

Seeing the name, her face fell. The message came from Johnny, telling her he’d be over in a bit. But that message didn't excite her anymore.

 

Unlike messages she would receive from Brian then.

 

Every time his face would flash on her phone screen, butterflies would fill in her stomach; her heart skipping a beat. Those were few of the things she badly missed. And the main reason behind them was only one person; Brian.

 

“If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me. Alright?” She didn't even realize the girl was still there till she spoke again; gently reminding her. She only answered her with a nod and soon enough, she was left alone again.

 

Her mind drifted back to the days she’d spent with Brian. When they first met; how he was so persistent to make her stop crying and for them to be friends.

 

Friends? Were they even friends?

 

She remembered all the times Brian told her what she really meant to him. And it definitely wasn't as a friend. She knew it was more than that.

 

Same as he was to her. But she didn't even had the chance to tell him. How can she even do that now? He won't even return a single message from her.

 

Everything was dark when he came into her life. She was lost and he helped her to find her way back. Brian made her feel alive again. It was him who helped her get back on her own two feet. He was the reason why she learned to smile again.

 

He made her feel again.

 

“Hey babe. Sorry I made you wait again.” She was brought back to reality when she heard someone spoke, Johnny occupying the chair across her; the same chair Brian would normally sit on.

 

“It’s okay. I didn't wait that long anyway.” She forced a smile as she answered him, taking a sip on her drink. He started telling her about his last class, but her mind was somewhere else again.

 

What was she even doing there? Why did she agree to take Johnny back when she had Brian? Didn't he leave her for another woman?

 

What was she thinking?

 

The security? Did she feel bad that the years they’ve spent together were all coming to waste?

 

She had Brian. The same guy who wiped the tears that Johnny caused. He replaced those tears with nothing but smiles and laughter. She and Johnny spent two years together but he wasn't able to give her the comfort Brian did when she still had him.

 

Did she really have him?

 

They weren't friends. They weren't lovers either. They were in between that. Borderline between being friends and lovers.

 

But there’s one thing she was sure. He wasn't just a friend for her. He was more than that. And whatever she was feeling for him, it was way different than what she felt with Johnny.


 

Brian’s POV

 

It has been weeks since he last saw her. And he was going crazy. It wasn't hard to admit how he badly missed her. The sadness and the pain were killing him inside. But he had to bear with it and live with it. Every day he would wake up, he’d hope everything was just a nightmare. That he’d see her again, waiting for him at the coffee shop across the university.

 

Ohh. How he badly wants to see her.

 

But he had to control himself. Jennie wasn't his to hold anymore. She’s back in the arms of the same guy he loathed. It was obvious how she chose Johnny over him. He lost her to someone else.

 

And that someone else happened to be the guy she loved for two years. Who was he to compete? Months compared to years. He probably won't be nothing compared to Johnny.

 

It was hard but he had to accept that fact. He lost. And now he feels as if he also lost a part of his heart. But he doesn't feel any regrets at all.

 

What’s important, he felt the happiest he has ever been in his entire life. It might not be the happy ending he hoped for, but he was grateful he did experience it.

 

That was enough for him.


 

“Do you wanna go out tonight?” Him and Jae were inside the school cafeteria, eating lunch. Exams were finished and the school year was about to end. Deadlines and exams helped him momentarily forget about his broken heart. School works got him too occupied that he barely had time to even think about Jennie.

 

And there they were, Jae already asking him to go out after the stressful week they’ve gone through.

 

“I don't know dude. I might turn in early tonight.” He declined politely, shaking his head.

 

He was back to that brokenhearted Brian once again. Now that exams were done, he’d have the luxury to spend his free time wallowing over his pain. He wasn't over it yet. He definitely won't be over her for a long time.

“Anything happened to you and Jennie?” Of course, his best friend knew about Jennie. She was all he would talk about, even when he’s with Jae. And his best friend also knew about his feelings.

 

But he has no idea about what happened. The past weeks, he chose to keep it to himself. Jae must’ve noticed the changes in him but didn't bring it up till then. And he was grateful he did.

 

“She’s back with him.” 4 words were enough to explain it; Jae instantly got the idea. Those 4 words that was too painful for him to even voice out loud.

 

“That’s a bummer.” Jae smiled, a sad one, sympathizing with him. It must’ve been a tragic ending for him but he never felt any regret; not even anger for Jennie when she chose to run back to Johnny.


 

“Have you talked to her?” They were heading back to his place when Jae suddenly asked him. With a slight smile, he only shook his head.

 

The voice messages didn't stop. She hasn't stopped trying to get him talk to her. But not once he gave in to that urge to talk to her, not at all. He knew himself. Once he answer any of her messages, he won't be able to stop anymore.

 

And it’s a wrong idea. She’s with someone else now.

 

“Why not? Maybe she’s got an explanation for everything. I mean, I know what she did is definitely wrong but you should at least hear her out.”

 

“I don't know.” He plainly answered. Jae has a point but deep inside, he knew it was for the best if they keep things the way they were.

 

“There are lots of girls out there, man. Cheer up.” His best friend gently clapped his back, encouraging him. However, the idea didn't entice him, nor helped him. For now, all he wanted was to forget. And just be over it.


 

It was past midnight already but Brian still couldn't fall asleep. He’s been tossing and turning around his bed for hours now, still to no avail, sleep won't just get to him. No matter how hard he close his eyes; he’d remain awake.

 

And it was annoying him. They’ve got band practice early in the morning tomorrow, he doesn't wanna go there without any sleep at all.

 

Tired of tossing and turning, he got up from his bed, grabbing a sweater and his wallet on his way out. Maybe he just need a bit of fresh air.

 

His feet brought him towards the neighborhood park, wandering like lost boy. No one was around; the playground empty and quiet. What did he even expect? It was way past everyone's bed time already.

 

He soon occupied one of the swings, enjoying his alone time. No kids were there to reprimand a grown up like him to take their rides.

 

‘You know, when I was still Auckland, me and my friends often get chased by kids out of the playground.’ Jennie told him as they walk past a playground near their university. She just finished her class and he waited for her till she got out so he could walk her home.

 

It has been a routine for the both of them. Even if her place was out of his way, it was okay with him. He gets to spend more time with her. And that’s what’s important to him.

 

‘Why?’ He asked.

 

‘They said we're old enough to play there.’ Her lips were pursed when she answered, probably recalling the memory.

 

An idea got into his head, seeing the small number of children present at the playground. He held her hand and stopped her from walking further.

 

‘Why?’ A puzzled look was on her face as she turned to look at him.

 

‘Come on.’ He guided her to the playground, even offering the little kids a kind smile as they walk towards the vacant swing. When Jennie realized what he was doing, a heart laughter soon escaped her lips.

 

‘What are we doing here?’

 

‘Kids here in Seoul aren't like the kids back in Auckland. They would even welcome grown ups to join them.’ He told her, smiling. She didn't protest anymore and instead occupied one of the swings. He did the same, the two of them playfully bickering. Soon enough, kids started crowding them, asking them if they’d like to join their game of tag.

 

A childish grin appeared on Jennie’s face, her eyes gleaming with genuine happiness. It was a scene he’d like to witness in his daily life. She definitely looked like an angel.

 

It felt like it just happened yesterday. But in reality, it has been months since that day. All he could do now was reminisce those times he spent with her. It was a hard process; but he knew it will be alright in the end. As long as she’s happy and safe. He’ll be okay.

 

His train of thoughts about Jennie was cut off when he heard a loud car door slamming shut. Surprised and alarmed, he instantly got up from his seat to check it. A frown appeared on his forehead the moment he saw a girl standing next to a black SUV.

 

And his frown deepened, realizing he was awfully familiar with the girl who just got out the car. It was no one else but the same girl who’s been occupying his head.

 

“I’m tired of this. Just leave me alone!” She cried out to whoever was seated on the driver seat through the opened window. Who else would be driving? It should be Johnny of course.

 

Johnny emerged out of the car, a frown on his face. While he remained hidden behind the huge slide, just watching them. As much as he wanted to take Jennie away, he couldn't just barge in with them fighting.

 

“Jennie. I said get inside the car.” The guy spoke, obviously annoyed and irate.

 

“I said leave me alone. I can walk from here.” Jennie on the other hand, firmly answered, taking a step back away from Johnny.

 

“I don't have time for this. Let me just drive you home and we can talk tomorrow.” Again, Johnny insisted, as if pacifying a little kid throwing tantrums because of a candy.

 

His eyes focused on Jennie; knowing Johnny’s powers over her, he could tell she’d give in anytime now.

 

He waited. His heart thumping hard against his chest, waiting for her to say something. He had prepared himself already; that she’d still choose him and not run away from the same person who’ve given her so much misery.

 

The two remained silent, Jennie glued to her spot while Johnny was obviously waiting for her to give in. He must’ve been used to it already. That she will always come running back to him no matter how hard they fought.

 

“No. I’m tired. I don't wanna talk. Just leave me alone. That’s all I want.” Her voice was laced with determination, her eyes strongly gazing back at Johnny. While the latter looked surprised, giving Jennie a hard stare.

 

No one spoke again. Minutes have passed and instead of answering, Johnny walked back to the car without even throwing Jennie another look and then sped away. She was left there at the sidewalk, breaking down to her knees as he could clearly hear her sob.

 

And the sound of her crying brought him pain. He at least expected Johnny to press further for Jennie to come home with him. But he didn't. He left her alone in the dark, when it was dangerous. And the strong Jennie he knew was nowhere.

 

How can someone leave a vulnerable girl in the middle of the street at night?

 

Someone like her doesn't deserve to be treated that way. She was as precious as any diamond; she’s a jewel herself.

 

“I remember promising someone, and myself, that I wouldn't let her cry anymore because of a jerk.” He announced his presence as he gently spoke, sitting down on the gutter next to Jennie. She had her face buried on her hands, her shoulders shaking as she sobbed.

 

The moment she heard his voice, she instantly looked up, surprised to see him already sitting beside her.

 

“How come you're always crying whenever we meet for the first time?” He softly asked, a sad smile crossing his lips as the memory of their first meeting flashed back in his head. He reached out a hand, wiping her tears with his fingers in the gentlest possible way.

 

It was his role, right? To dry her tears. And to make her smile again.

 

“W-What are you doing here?” She finally voiced out, still in confusion.

 

“It doesn't matter.” He waved off her question and instead, held his hand for her to take once he got up. “Come on. Let’s not stay out in the cold for too long.” He encouraged her to take his hand, and she did after a few seconds.

 

The warmth of her hand against his still brought him the same electrifying feeling just like the first time he held her hand. It was still there. And neither of them could deny it.

 

They walked in silence, their feet leading them back to his house. How many times have they took the same path to get to his place? Them holding each other’s hand? He had to admit to himself; he missed it.

 

The living room was quiet when they got there, his parents probably in their bedroom already. And Jennie’s already acquainted with them. There were even times his parents would ask him to invite her for dinner. They loved her. And he did, too.

 

“Don't worry. They’re asleep.” He comforted her as they entered his bedroom. He let Jennie sit on the edge of his bed, him, occupying his swivel chair meant for his study table, and faced her.

 

He studied her up close. Bags were under her eyes; her face thinner. And there was something else missing. Her eyes were dull. There was no glimmer in them anymore.

 

He once saw her in the same situation. So broken and out of herself. But he was able to help her retrieve the shine in her eyes that she lost because of Johnny. And now, they were gone again. All because of the same person.

 

“What are you doing to yourself?” The words slipped out of his lips quietly. He didn't mean to question her. It was inevitable though.

 

“I’m sorry.” She whispered, her head hung low. She tore her gaze away from him, her eyes on her fingers as she fiddle with them.

 

“You can tell me what happened.” He gently told her, his hand reaching for hers again. Wanting to see her face, he lifted her chin up with a finger, their eyes meeting again.

 

How he loved looking into those eyes; getting lost in them every time he would stare at them.

 

“Same old . He’s back with the same girl. Same thing going on.” There was another moment of silence. Studying the look on her face, he could say she was embarrassed. He exactly knew why. But he didn't bring her there to make her feel that way.

 

But because he wants her to see that no matter what, he will always be there to catch her and help her get up. Help her get healed from the pain she was experiencing.

 

“I’m sorry.” She repeated, her eyes shining with tears once again. And seeing her look that way made his heart ache.

 

“There's nothing to apologize for.” He kindly smiled, squeezing her hand, mutely telling her that everything was alright.

 

People might call him out for being so kind and martyr. What's the use of staying when he’s clearly not her option? Even him wouldn't be able to provide them any answer. All he knew was he wanted to be there for her.

 

“You were mad at me. You’re not talking to me. You won't even answer any of my calls nor messages. But here you are. You still helped me out. You’re still here. For me.” Her last two words came out whispers. Guilt washed over her face as she said each word.

 

“Not because I wasn't talking to you means I’m mad. Hell, I’m probably gonna hate myself if I do that.” He chuckled softly, shaking his head. “That’s one thing I cannot do. Get mad at you.”

 

“Then why are you doing this? Why are you still here?” She asked. “I know you just pity me. You’re probably laughing in your head right now.” She was about to tear her gaze away from him again but he stopped her, his free hand cupping her cheek.

 

He shook his head, a smile still on his face.

 

“Because I want to. I can't leave you alone.” He sincerely said, their eyes staring at one another.

 

“I wanted you to be happy. That’s why I took a step back. I thought you’ll be happy again, with him. Every time I will hear or see your messages, I always have to control myself not to return them. You already have him back, and I’m no use anymore.” Slowly, he was starting to pour his feelings out.

 

“I don't have the heart to get mad at you, always keep that in mind.” He continued.

 

“But I hurt you.” It wasn't a question; it was a statement. A strong one that hit him.

 

Another sad smile crossed his face, shaking his head.

 

“Yes. You did. But that isn't enough for me to get mad at you. I was hurt; but I’m doing fine. Because I know you’re happy with him.” He paused for a bit, the last words making him think.

 

“Are you happy?” He finally voiced out his thoughts, asking her with worried eyes.

 

They remained staring at one another, her eyes wary. He waited for her to say something, but she remained silent. The two of them just looking at each others’ eyes.

 

Sadness was in her eyes; the light in them gone again.

 

“Why?” He asked again. The way she looked at him, she was definitely saying something. Opposite to what he was thinking.

 

“It isn't the same anymore. I can't see myself giving him my full trust again after what he did.” It was an honest statement coming from someone who’ve gotten her heart and trust broken. And it pained him even more to hear it coming from someone so special and kind.

 

Someone who doesn't deserve to be treated that way.

 

“I’m sorry. Because I disregarded you all of a sudden. I ran back to him, leaving you. I’m sorry I caused you pain. When all you did is make me happy.” Tears pooled around the corner of her eyes as she spoke. “And after all I’ve done, you're still here for me.”

 

“I don't deserve someone like you.” She sadly smiled, pulling her hand away from his grip. Her action made him sad.

 

How can she speak like that? How hurt was she that her confidence wasn't there anymore?

 

“You deserve to be happy Jen. Whatever you’ve done, I know you have reasons behind them. And I promised you, didn't I? That I will always be here for you no matter what.” He gently took her hands back, giving them a light and comforting squeeze. “And I chose to stay her because I want to. It’s my own decision and I’m happy with it.”

 

“I don't understand. Why me? Of all people? Of all the girls out there?” He hated those kind of questions coming from her. Like she didn't have any self confidence at all.

 

If only she could see herself from his own eyes. How she shined the brightest for him; the beauty she possessed was something that he couldn't see in other women.

 

“Because you're you, silly. I don't have any other reasons except for that.” He chuckled softly, his fingers reaching out to playfully pinch the bridge of her nose. “This might not be the way how I imagined it, but I want you to know something.”

 

“I love you. And I don't need any reasons to love you. All I know, is you're the only person who can make my heart flutter regardless of what you're doing.” Every word was said with utmost sincerity; his stare unwavering as they retain eye contact.

 

He was directly telling her everything now; those things he never said before. His actions spoke for him before but after what happened, he realized it’s high time he voice out his feelings too.

 

“It pains me to see you in this situation. I hate it when I see you crying. And it makes me hate Johnny even more. I’ve let you run back to him, and he still chose to hurt you. He just blew up his last chance. I won't let you go anymore.” A smile crossed his lips again, full of determination.

 

Jennie deserved nothing else but to be happy and her heart safe. She’d gone through so much pain already, and he won't let her go through the same thing again.

 

“I’m going to work hard to win you over him.”



 

Jennie’s POV

 

Weekends were meant for her to sleep longer. Plus the school year has already ended; summer has officially started. But instead of enjoying it, Jennie remained locked up inside her room. She wasn't in the mood to go anywhere; nor talk to anyone.

 

There were just so many things happening. It was making her crazy.

 

Johnny has cheated on her again. And she finally called it quits. She was tired of going through the same old cycle. Besides, she find it really hard to trust him again. The doubting never stopped; questions were endless. At first, she was willing to give it another shot even if she knew she would hurt Brian. But Johnny ended up ruining everything.

 

And that night, like he was heaven sent, Brian was there to comfort her again. He still dried her tears after what she did. Like what he said, he still ended up being her angel.

 

Since that fateful evening, she promised herself one thing. It was not to hurt him anymore. She may not have vocally said it, but she knew herself, Brian is definitely not just a friend. He’s more than that.

 

Only she’s afraid to tell him yet. The guilt was still there, after what happened. And she didn't want him to think anything less than the truth. That she indeed fell for him; just like him to her.

 

“Where are we going?” Was her first question when she met Brian, waiting for her inside the comforts of his newly acquired car.

 

“For dinner. I got a reservation down the sushi place you like.” He flashed her a smile before driving off. It was one of the things she liked about him; how he can catch her off guard with a simple smile. And how he plan things out ahead of time. Just shows how responsible he is.

 

“Why? Is there any occasion?”

 

“None. I just want to take you out.” And there went her heart again. Beating uncontrollably hard against her chest when he flashed her another of his I’m-gonna-make-you-melt smile along with what he just said.

 

It was weird how a guy she met accidentally months ago was able to make her feel things that even Johnny didn't make her feel. The constant butterflies in her stomach, the giddiness didn't seem to go away as well. Her heart may be thumping hard, but it was because of excitement.

“Aren't you supposed to be practicing with the boys?” She asked out of the blue, remembering that weekends are for their band practice. Yet, he was there with her.

 

“I met up with them earlier. Besides, I know you’re craving for some Japanese food.”

 

Simple things, his simple yet sweet gestures. It made her ask herself for the hundredth time. How can she be so stupid and ended up going back to Johnny? Why was she so blinded before, not to see the angel he really is?

 

“Hey. You got so quiet all of a sudden. Something wrong?” He threw her a worried glance, which she brushed off with a smile before answering.

 

“It’s nothing. I just remembered some stuff. Nothing important.” Her answer seemed to satisfy him and the rest of the drive was spent with the two of them talking about the next movie they’ll be watching.

 

Just like what Brian said, he already had a booth reserved for the both of them when they got to the place. Food was served after waiting for a bit, and it felt heaven for her taste buds. It still amazed her how he can remember things that she blurted out of the blue. Like her cravings for sushi.

 

“Here. Try this one.” She offered to feed him, a piece of tamago in between her chopsticks. She wasn't a fan of PDA nor skinship. Not even when she was with Johnny. But with Brian, it was something she felt comfortable doing.

 

“Hmmn. That’s nice.” He hummed softly, obviously liking what she fed him.

 

“This place is good. Thank you for bringing me here.” They were already on their way back to his car, their stomach filled with amazing Japanese sushis.

 

“I’m glad you liked it.” He told her, smiling as he opened the car door for her. And all she did was dumbly stare at him, admiring how good looking he was with that smile on his face. The kind of smile that made his eyes crinkle.

“Why? Is there something on my face?” He asked when he noticed she wasn't moving from her spot.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“For what?” He gave her a puzzled look.

 

Maybe, it’s about time she tell him what she’s feeling inside. The weeks she was back with Johnny made her realize how important Brian has been for her. No one knows what the future has in store for them. And she knew she would regret it if she failed to tell him how important he is for her.

 

“For being with me. For staying with me despite what I did.” She summoned every ounce of courage she had in her body, to shamelessly confess her feelings.

 

“Jen. I told you, you don't have to thank me for that. I love what I’m doing. And you know how I feel for you.”

 

She reached a hand out to hold his, their fingers lacing with one another. A small smile crossed her lips, her eyes staring right through his.

 

“I know. And I’m thankful for that. Because you stayed with me. I might have stupid things in the past, and I regret that so much. But if there’s one good thing about that, it made me realize something.”

 

His eyes flashed with confusion. And that puzzled look made her smile. Brian had put her in the same situation for many times in the past. She had to give him credits for that. It wasn't easy to tell someone you love your real feelings; but he did it multiple times.

 

“I like you. Maybe something more than that. But one thing I’m sure, it’s you I want to be with.” She let out a deep breath, relieved she was able to finish her words without stuttering. It was hard for her to say those things, let alone say them in front of him, his beautiful eyes staring at her.

 

But she felt the burden being lifted off her shoulders.

 

Silence came upon them. None of them speaking. They were just looking at each other. And it made her nervous. Numerous questions in her head.

 

What if he changed his mind? And he’s not feeling the same anymore for her? His silence scared her.

 

Did she say anything wrong? Was she too fast?

 

“Say something.” She finally voiced out, unable to bear with the silence anymore. With hopeful eyes, she looked at him, waiting for him to say something.

 

“What else do I have to say? You just made me the happiest man on Earth.” A huge smile was now on his face, and in a swift moment, she was already wrapped around his arms, in the comfort of his embrace.

 

“I can’t promise you a smooth sailing relationship. There will be times that we will argue, fight with each other and get upset. Those are normal. But I promise you, I will do my best to make you happy. I won't easily let go of you.” He softly whispered against her ear, their bodies pressed closely to one another.

 

“I know I won't be a perfect boyfriend. But I will try hard to be the best. Only for you.”




 

The crowd suddenly toned down as the soft melody from the guitar started playing. In contrast to the songs earlier, the next song started slow. The sound of acoustic guitar filling in the place, a familiar melody being played.

 

Everyone was anticipating. So was she.

 

Jennie remained by the sidelines, her eyes focused on the guy sitting in the middle of the stage, playing the guitar. She had her eyes on him only; admiring how he looked majestic up there.

 

Brian Kang is definitely the perfect boyfriend material. And she still can't help but wonder how lucky she is to call that guy her own boyfriend. The thought made her smile.

 

I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe it's all part of a plan
I'll just keep on making the same mistakes
Hoping that you'll understand


But baby now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are, oh
So baby now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Oh darling, place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud


That maybe we found love right where we are
Oh maybe we found love right where we are
And we found love right where we are

 

She smiled. That was the very same place where she first met him. She was so lost, broken and hurt that night.


And never in her wildest imagination, she thought that it will be the same time she’d meet someone she’d love so badly. Brian was an angel sent from above.