Prologue

Friend

“Racquetball? I don’t particularly find sports interesting but I don’t dislike them either. Racquetball is pretty popular here. You played? Wow, you’re extremely talented. You’re good at so many things, unlike me. Sure we can stop by one sometime. I don’t think I’ll be good at it. You mentioned it on purpose, didn’t you? No, I didn’t say that, you did.”

“Who are you talking to?”

Most people kept to themselves and continued with their day while some, and this wasn’t unlikely, stared for a moment but would eventually look away. No one ever actually approached Sohyun to ask why she was having a conversation with essentially no one. The person in concern was a tall teen boy with a great dye of blond hair wearing a school uniform. Teenage boys tended to point and laugh but they all had been a bit too intimidated by the constant nonchalant look on Sohyun’s face to take the teasing further. The blond boy didn’t look threatening but instead extremely curious as he moved his head back and forth from Sohyun to the empty spot on the bench next to her where she had directed her responses. Sohyun wasn’t ashamed to own up to her actions.

“My friend.” She admitted. She looked bored when she said it but it had become her common facial expression so she couldn’t help it. “Haein says you look like a rejected kpop idol.”

Instead of getting pissed off and leaving like Sohyun hoped, the teen remained and kept his composure. Even politely he said,

“Miss, I’ll be blunt. I find you extremely interesting.”

Her blank expression held steady but her cheeks turned red.

“In-in-in-teresting?” She stammered. The teen already sat himself on the other side of Sohyun with his arm stretched across the bench head. He leaned in closely.

“I want you to join my club.”

Sohyun stood up promptly. She turned to the boy who looked like he was unaware of his crass gesture. Bystanders at the mall continued with their shopping and didn’t gawk at them. They could see that there were two people talking, after all.

“Wait a second," Sohyun started unnerved, "why are you even bothering me? What do you want?”

The boy lightly smacked himself on the head with a smile and stood up.

“I’m sorry, Miss. I should have introduced myself first. I’m Jaebum but my beloved members at the Affinity Club call me JB.”

“Affinity Club?”

His eye lit up and he quickly whipped out a broacher from his backpack. It was a poorly put together paper flyer that didn’t explain much. Sohyun tilted her head.

“The Affinity Club!” JB repeated back excitedly, “An official after school activity club founded by yours truly. It’s open to all schools and all grades but is hosted and sponsored at my very own school, Gangji M!”

What a stupid name for a school, Sohyun thought.  She looked beside her and lifted her brows.

“What? You know that school?”

“Yes” JB replied confidently, “I’m a third year.”

“I wasn’t talking to you.” Sohyun reverted her eyes back to the empty space beside her. JB looked on curiously as she continued. “You attended way back? Wow, I didn’t know that. Are you sure? Well ok.”

She looked back at JB who looked a bit more concerned at her sudden exchange. “Haein asks what the Affinity Club entails.”

“What kind of person is Haein like?”

“Haein says “You bastard, who said we could be on a first name basis?” Is the Everything Club a sports club?”

He shook his head nervously. “The Affinity Club exists to help people become better at socializing. It is a pure and wholesome club on the path to creating healthy boys and girls in social settings.” His confidence came back quickly and he spoke with more enthusiasm. “The Club aims to promote wisdom and self-esteem by eliminating toxic general discussions and embracing hope and love.”

“Sounds cheesy.” JB didn’t counter her remark. Sohyun turned her head to listen and then nodded. “Haein says we’ll think about it. Bye.”

“Wait!” He quickly grabbed her hand and placed a small paper in it. “Promise that you’ll come.”

Sohyun looked at him like he was disgusting. She snatcher her hand away and looked to see what was placed inside. It was his phone number.

“Why do you arbitrarily have your number already written down on a piece of paper?”

He smiled very honestly, “You never know when a helpless victim is in need of a hero.”

She balled up the paper and dropped it. “I’m leaving.”

Sohyun walked away and to her surprise the boy did not follow. She looked over her shoulder to see him still smiling and picking up his throw-away number while Haein wrapped his arm around her shoulder laughing hysterically.