Until Death Do Us Apart

Until Death Do Us Apart

Walking down the street towards his apartment, Taehyung takes in his surroundings slowly. This place has been his home for the past 20 years, the place he made his first mudpie, the place he built his first snowman, the place he met his best friend, his first love and now his husband. This neighbourhood was b with memories at every corner. That tree over there? That was where he had sat with Jungkook and had his first kiss. That park bench? That was where he sat with Jungkook late into the night, talking about anything and everything, looking at the stars twinkling above them. That swing set in the playground? That was where Taehyung had finally built up the courage to ask Jungkook to marry him. Had promised him that he would love him forever and always, until death do them apart. Taehyung smiled as he looked around, eyes shining with a thin film of unshed tears.

 It has been a while since Jungkook has accompanied me down this street

The first few years of their marriage had been like a dream. He could finally come home after a long day of work and be assured that his beloved would be waiting for him with open arms. It was such a relief at the end of a long tiring day to fall into the comfort of Jungkook’s warm embrace. His skilled hands gently massaging all the aches from Taehyung’s body. Jungkook was his personal Heaven, and Taehyung had been so excited to know that this Heaven was all his.

I loved the bright smile that graced his lips when I came back home, like I was the best present he could ever ask for

The day that would change his life happened 2 years into his peaceful marriage. Jungkook had been on his way back from the grocery store. If Taehyung thought hard enough, he could almost imagine the cute smile that must have graced his lips, all while his mind was busy thinking up some amazing recipe that he would try out that day. He must have been so preoccupied for him to not notice the oncoming car. The driver had apparently been drunk and driving his car at top speed in broad daylight. His precious never saw it coming. Taehyung remembered the feeling of numb shock that had spread through his body when he had picked up the dreadful call from the hospital. He had run out of his board meeting, not caring that he might lose his job for the disrespect he had shown to his boss.

How could you leave me behind when all I have to live for is you?

What Taehyung was told upon reaching hospital had sent a sudden chill coursing through his body. His Jungkook had gotten into a very serious accident which had left his skull cracked and his ribs crushed. His Jungkook had lost a lot of blood because it had taken quite a while before someone had come forth to help him. His Jungkook… his Jungkook might die. The scream that had slowly built up in him then, the tears that had started an incessant stream down his face and the mind-numbing fear that had seized his body at the thought of living life without his Jungkook, will forever be itched in his mind.

Please I beg you… Don’t leave me behind…

The 3 days Jungkook had spent in the ICU had been the worst 3 days of Taehyung’s life. Not once did time pass without Taehyung dreading the time the doctor would come shuffling out, head bent low, to deliver the news that Jungkook was no longer in this world. At the end of the 3rd day, the doctor had come shuffling out of the ICU as Taehyung had been expecting, however it had been to inform him brightly that Jungkook had regained consciousness. He had still been in a precarious state and he needed observation but the worst was over. Jungkook was here to stay.

Thank you… thank you for living one more day

If Taehyung thought that not knowing whether Jungkook would live or not was a nightmare, what he found out later was like being shoved head first into Hell. Jungkook had looked up at him when he had walked up to his bed, but the lack of recognition he saw in his eyes had come as a shock to him. Jungkook had started screaming when Taehyung had tried initiating contact, and with every cry for help that left his mouth, Taehyung’s heart fractured a little more. It had taken a considerable about of sedative to settle him down again and as Taehyung had looked at the now sleeping Jungkook, he had cried silent tears, cursing Heavens for his twisted fate. Why had God thought it necessary to take away the one bit of happiness he had so desperately been clutching at? What was the need to be so cruel to him? As these thoughts plagued him, a cry so sorrowful that it pierced his heart made him look up across the room. He had seen a young man, maybe around the same age as him, shaking a body on the bed that was covered entirely in a white sheet. The pitiful sobs that escaped him had a fresh set of tears running down Taehyung’s face. Taehyung had then slowly turned his gaze back to Jungkook and traced his fingers across his cheeks.

At least you are still alive

A few days later Jungkook had been discharged and with much convincing, he had come back home with Taehyung. There were days where Jungkook recognised him, shedding silent tears as he looked into Taehyung’s eyes and apologised for not remembering him. Apologised for hurting him so deeply. He would embrace him in his arms, just as he used to before the accident. Those were the days that Taehyung hung on to. Those days were his hope that Jungkook had never completely forgotten him, that he was still important to him. However, with every good day, came a bad day. When Taehyung looked into his eyes on those days, all he saw was fear, fear of being trapped in a house of an unknown man, fear of being touched, fear of being called lovingly by someone he didn’t even know the name of. Those days, Jungkook would try to hurt him as he tried to escape Taehyung’s hold, screaming for his long gone mother and a father he never knew. But the days where Jungkook harmed himself instead of Taehyung were by far the worst days. Taehyung had come home once to see Jungkook holding a razor and trying to slit his wrists. Taehyung’s heart had shattered completely that day and he had started to doubt whether Jungkook had at all really loved him for all these years.

Do you love me like I love you?

Shaking himself from these negative thoughts, Taehyung finally reached his doorstep. As he pulled out his keys to open the door, he was startled when the door suddenly burst open. Standing on the other side was none other than Jungkook, all warm smiles and crinkled eyes filled with love.

I will love you until death do us apart