Prologue: His Birthday

Eternal Love

The shimmer of the sunlight passed through the window, dyeing the room with a tint of yellow, waking Jaebum up from his dream. He moved his hand to protect his eyes and turned to his side, away from the blinding light, only to get blinded even more with the sight captured in his eyes. Jinyoung lay there facing Jaebum, his lips curved into the gentle smile Jaebum loved so much, forming wrinkles at the corner of his eyes. His face reflected the sunlight, made him look like he was shining, like he was an angel, and Jaebum felt like he was still dreaming. Well, he was an angel, to Jaebum.

Jaebum leaned closer to kiss the smile, humming a good morning with a lopsided smile he knew the younger liked. "Oh, and happy birthday," he added.

Jinyoung's smile got wider, and he put his lips against Jaebum's, returning the kiss. "Thanks."

"What do you want to do today?" Jaebum asked, his hand reaching out to touch Jinyoung's delicate fingers, taking them in his clutch.

"What do you think I want?"

Jaebum thought for a while, and gave Jinyoung a playful smirk. "You would be happy whatever I give you anyway, so let's just do what I want to do."

And he laughed his gut off as Jinyoung hit his arm with a pout on his annoyed face.

--

"Are you serious?"

"If I'm not, we won't be here, Jinyoung."

They sat at the corner of a dessert cafe that had become a hot topic among couples at the moment. Even the decor of the place screamed couple everywhere. Jaebum, who hated sweets and never good with cheesy stuffs, always disposed any cringey ideas Jinyoung had proposed. And here they were at the cafe, ordering dessert for couple. An idea Jaebum had sternly refused a couple months ago.

The place was still void of people, them being so early when the shop was just being opened. And of course, Jaebum chose a place quite hidden from the counter, away from the only people there. When their order come, the large glass filled with chocolate, cream, waffles, and everything sweet, with two spoons at the top, Jinyoung's eyes sparkled while Jaebum tried hard not to frown. However, Jinyoung being the only one who could see through Jaebum's mind, reading it like a book, of course could still see the frown.

"Are you okay with this much sweets?" Jinyoung asked, the spark in his eyes shifted into worry.

"I'll be okay, I guess. This might be the last sweets I'll ever eat since I will never, ever, even able to look at sweets again after I finish this, so I might as well try to enjoy it as much as I could." Jaebum finally revealed his frown, and heard Jinyong chuckled.

"Well, you're trying hard for me, so let me just happily enjoy this and let you suffering alone for it not going to waste." Jinyoung said with a mischievous smile, and started feeding Jaebum, laughing when Jaebum's face distorted, trying hard to swallow it.

They finally got out from the shop with Jinyoung's smile wide across his face, and Jaebum's gloomy but relieved expression.

"Where are we going now?" Jinyoung asked excitedly, and Jaebum couldn't stop the corners of his mouth rising.

"You'll see," Jaebum answered shortly as he walked to the bus stop with a curious stare burning the side of his head. Even when they rode the bus it didn't stop. However, when they arrived to their next destination, the stare disappeared into two crescent moons as the owner beamed up so brightly.

"You're bringing me to the amusement park?! You always refused when I ask you," Jinyoung said, looking at the gigantic gate in awe. Jaebum watched the other with a fond smile. Jaebum had always disliked amusement park since it was always crowded, and he hated noisy places.  But he was going to endure it now, determined to make the younger happy.

"Do you like it?" Jaebum asked. Jinyoung looked at him and he literally had to squint from the bright smile.

"You really intend to make me burst up in happiness today, don't you?"

Jaebum only smiled. They bought the tickets and went in. Jinyoung dragged him to the souvenir shop, forcing him to buy and wear a cat-eared hairband. They went straight to the one ride that was the sole purpose of them coming there, ferris wheel.

Jinyoung had always wanted to ride a ferris wheel with Jaebum, one of the idea Jaebum had rejected. Jinyoung's eyes sparked with excitement as he was staring at the view outside from above, his hand holding Jaebum's tightly. It warmed his heart, and he regretted not to bring Jinyoung here sooner. Jinyoung finally looked at him, smiling brightly.

"Thank you, Jaebum, thank you so much."

And Jaebum tried hard to return the smile, as wide as possible, although he felt a pang in his heart.

--

Their last destination was the beach. They walked, hand in hand, along the shore, feeling the fall breeze blowing through their bodies. The sea sparkled with the glimmer of the sunlight that dyed the blue sky with pink and orange tint, the sun itself was about to disappear into the horizon. They had taken off their shoes, letting the cold water of the sea lightly swiped the sands from their feet. At some point, they walked further from the sea, and sat down on the bare sand in silence.

"You can leave me now, Jinyoung." Jaebum said, the first to break it. When Jinyoung didn't respond, he continued, "You can't stay here forever, you know. You have to move on."

Jinyoung turned to stare at him, his eyes filled with sadness. "Can you?"

Jaebum looked down, avoiding his gaze. "Well, maybe."

"Are you sure?"

"No I don't. I will love you for the rest of my life, 'till my death, and beyond."

"So do I. So I'll stay."

"But you can't, Jinyoung. This world isn't meant for you anymore. You will only suffer here, and I don't want that." Jaebum finally turned to look at Jinyoung, only to find tears had already streamed across his cheeks.

"Will you be okay if I leave?" Jinyoung asked with a sniff, wiping his blurry eyes.

"I'll try. I don't want to worry you to death."

"Well, I already am." Jinyoung said with a forced chuckle. Jaebum didn't know whether he meant to say he was already worried about him or that he was already died. "You won't go after me, right?"

"As much as I want to run and drown myself into the sea right now, I don't want to waste the life you have given to me when you put yourself in front of that goddamn truck instead of me. You want me to live, so I will. And you have to let me go, so I can. Just like how I'll let you go so you can live, up there."

Jinyoung kept silent, trying hard to swallow his tears back. Jaebum reached out to touch the face he loved dearly, caressing his sheek. "Please, Jinyoung. I'll be okay."

Jinyoung finally nod, his wide smile didn't reach his eyes, but it's enough. Jaebum was glad that his smile got to be the last memory he had of Jinyoung.

"Sorry for forcing you to eat all those sweets, Jaebum." Jinyoung said, chuckling again. The sound Jaebum going to miss later.

"Sorry for only granting your wish after you're gone. I really regret it."

"It's okay. You've given me enough happiness even without you doing all those things before, Jaebum. And with you doing that, maybe I'll burst from happiness now without being able to get up there." Jinyoung laughed. The most beautiful music Jaebum had ever heard.

"You know, I've never cried since you died two months ago, because of how you're still here and I want to see you always smiling, and I know you're going to be sad if I cry. But I don't think I could hold it anymore. Can I?"

Jinyoung nodded, his smile started to waver. Jaebum still wanted his smile to be his last memory, not his tears, so he pulled his knees and cried in his own arms, his eyes closed. He could feel a hand touching his shaking shoulder, a pair of lips kissing the peak of his head. And he could hear Jinyoung's whispering.

"Goodbye. I love you, Jaebum."

Then the hand, the lips, the breath, everything was gone. He was gone.

Jaebum finally opened his eyes and looked up at the cloudy sky, tears leaving traces on his cheeks.

"And I love you, Jinyoung. Forever."