One

Cut Your Teeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Jongin notices when he walks into the apartment that evening is the complete lack of cushions on the couch. It’s been stripped bare of throw pillows and sitting cushions alike, as has the armchair in the corner. There's a distinct lack of blankets around the room as well, and it's once he’s toed off his shoes and taken a few steps further in that Jongin notices how even the dog beds are missing. Adam, one of Taemin’s pups is looking at him rather dejectedly from his place curled up on the spring frame of their couch, and Jongin pauses to give him a consolidating pat on the head. He’s got a sneaking suspicion what this is about.

A trip down the hallway to their bedrooms stops only long enough for Jongin to drop his things on the floor of his room, noting very quickly not only lack of pillows and blankets in his room, but the complete lack of his bed mattress altogether. He’s rubbing a large hand over his forehead then, fingers running through his hair before turning to pad his way down to the end of the hallway. Sure enough Jongin is met with the sight of his double mattress, sheets still on it, shoved almost all the way through Taemin’s bedroom door, clearly lodged in the doorframe. Jongin can’t help the sigh that escapes him in one quick exhale, because this is exactly why Taemin doesn’t have a double bed.

“Taemin-ah?” Jongin sounds a little bit exasperated already and Taemin’s head pops out from behind the mattress, his black hair a fluff of a mess as wide brown eyes peek over the top of it at Jongin.

“I can explain.” Jongin’s eyebrows raise near to his hairline and Taemin quickly follow up with: “Okay maybe I can’t.” He disappears again, the only sign that Jongin’s best friend is still there is the wiggling of the mattress as Taemin tries to un-wedge it from the doorframe.

“Taem-ah,” The wiggling ceases for a moment and Jongin knows he’s got the older’s attention. “It's gotta come out.”

Theres a string of whining that Jongin can’t quite make out before the mattress is being shoved back into the hallway. It takes some effort, and nearly knocks Jongin down in the process when the mattress dislodges from the doorframe, promptly falling heavily to the floor, catching halfway between the floor and the wall, near filling the hallway up. Jongin just stands there a moment, looking from the mattress to his best friend stood in the doorway of his room, appearance a little bit ridiculous in red and white polka dot boxers, and one of Jongin’s sizes too large hoodies. Taemin huffs before disappearing back into his room prompting Jongin to take unsteady steps across the mattress, following him in.

Sure enough, as he’d suspected Taemin’s bed and the area surrounding it is covered with the house’s supply of pillows and blankets. Three of the five dogs they collectively keep are curled up in the sheets piled on Taemin’s single bed. Taemin himself was occupied with shoving at one of the couch cushions lodged against the wall near the end of the bed frame, trying to get the stat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter