Lucky Girl

Definitely Not Out of Luck

“Hi, how can I help—OH MY GOD!”

“H-help! I saw a biker hit and run this poor lost puppy. I think he grew up on the streets and doesn’t have a home!”

 

The vet clinic was still empty in the morning. Usually patients would come after 10 AM. Sooyoung was just cleaning the treatment room and back to her place at the front desk to welcome and register the vet’s adorable patients. The first patient came with a blonde haired woman with blue contact lenses. “My poor puppy! Let’s take him to the examining table first.”

 

The little pupper was trembling and let out sad cries. It broke Sooyoung’s heart. When she took the puppy from the savior, she felt the woman’s hands trembled. “Are you okay, Miss?” she asked. “Y-yes,” she answered after she blinked. “I-I just couldn’t believe what I saw. How could the biker just left and didn’t feel guilty? The puppy was terribly hurt!”

 

Sooyoung gave her a smile as she gently carried the puppy in her arms. “You saved this puppy, Miss. You did a very brave and right thing bringing him here!” Sooyoung looked at the woman’s eyes which then sparkled hearing her compliment. “Wait a minute, I’ll check this little guy first.” She gave a wink as she turned and left the woman.

[ - - - ]

Wendy sat at the waiting room nervously. She deared animals because they were very amazing creatures. Be it domestics animal or those in the zoo, she found them wonderful. She couldn’t believe that people just treated animal as they liked. They hurt and abandoned pets or street cats and dogs. Just like what happened that morning. She knew that it was an accident, but at least the biker should take responsibility.

 

She opened her phone and texted her coworker that she would come late to the office. She was glad that there were no meeting scheduled for that day. Her eyes wandered and found that the veterinary clinic was very cute with all the wall stickers of animals and rainbows and all. She might’ve mistaken it as a clinic for children.

 

The door on the left was opened and Wendy got up as soon as she saw the person who took the puppy into examination. “How is he? Is he okay?” she asked worriedly. A bright smile from the girl with a long black hair somehow eased her. “I could tell from your expression that you have treated him, helped him so that he won’t feel the pain.”

 

“And fed him too! Don’t worry, he is with me.”

“And you are…?”

“Park Sooyoung, the big sister of puppies!”

 

Wendy laughed at the name and then agreed with the girl. “Of course. I am glad that I could trust him with you. My name is Wendy Son.” She offered a handshake which was greeted warmly. “Are you a foreigner? But you’re so fluent in Korean!” the girl named Sooyoung commented. “I used to live in Canada but now I’m here in Seoul because of work. I’m a Korean though.”

 

“Ah, you’re so interesting. Also you love puppy!”

“Yes, I do love puppies! And you’re interesting too, you know? I’ve never met someone this bright after handling an injured animal.”

“Oh, tell me something I don’t know!”

 

Smoothly, Wendy blurted out some numbers and got Sooyoung frowned. “What was that?” the girl asked. Confidently, Wendy replied and leaned a little to Sooyoung. “My phone number. I bet you don’t know that one.”

 

“OH MY GOD!” Sooyoung laughed and held her tummy. Wendy gave a big smile even though she knew that she was being cheesy. The girl could’ve cringed or pull away her hand from Wendy, but she didn’t. “Tell that to my phone. Here, type it down.” Wendy was handed a cellphone which she immediately used to save her phone number.

 

“You’ll give me news about the puppy, right? Maybe I’ll adopt him once he recovers.”

“You’re so nice! Okay, I’ll send pictures of him. As a bonus, I’ll give mine too.”

Wendy’s smile got brighter. “That’d be lovely.”

[ - - - ]

The two of them ended up chatting every time they could get their hands to their own cellphones. Sooyoung made time to take pictures of the puppy and send it to Wendy. Wendy gladly received and saved all the photos. They even decided a name for the puppy. Sonsoo. That was from Son of Wendy’s name and ‘soo’ from Sooyoung’s name. Wendy hasn’t told Sooyoung her Korean name yet. However, they were satisfied with the name.

 

[From Sooyoung to Wendy: Look! Sonsoo is playing with other dogs! He’s really excited! (video)]

[From Wendy to Sooyoung: He’s so cuuute! But his legs are still trembling when he stands and run… poor our Sonsoo :(]

[From Sooyoung to Wendy: Yeah, I’m giving him some more exercise so he’ll be able to walk comfortable later on! (photo)]

[From Wendy to Sooyoung: Now this one is the excited Sooyoung. Are you that excited teaching Sonsoo?]

[Form Sooyoung to Wendy: Of course! If you come by, I’ll show you how to teach him!]

[From Wendy to Sooyoung: Was that an invitation?]

[From Sooyoung to Wendy: I don’t know? What do you think? ;)]

 

The day after that, Wendy paid a visit to the veterinary clinic and was greeted excitedly by the little pup. Seemed like dogs he didn’t forget who took him to Sooyoung for help. Wendy spent some time there before finally asking Sooyoung for a dinner. Sooyoung happily accepted and as soon as her shift is over, they went to her favorite restaurant.

 

There, both of them started to get to know each other more. Sooyoung was surprised when she found out about Wendy’s job. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” Her voice was loud enough to make the other costumers turned their head and stared at the table in the middle of the restaurant. “Surpriiiise~ I bet you didn’t know about that as well.” Wendy said as she sip her warm tea.

 

“Well, yeah, you got me on that one.”

“Glad that I could entertain you with my story.”

“Whoah, I am such a lucky girl! I’m having a dinner with a new elite member of Korea’s top magazine!”

“Please don’t change the way you talk to me because no one ever talked to me this comfortably. They somehow… you know, made a formal expression and the impression was not that good.”

“I won’t. Why would I? I’m just being proud of myself! You can be just ordinary person when you’re not working. Just like now, with me.”

 

Sooyoung put a cherry tomato into and squealed because of the sweet and sour taste. Wendy smiled looking at how the girl has a very good appetite. “I wish I could be with you all the time.” The blonde girl blurted out while still fixing her eyes on the puppies big sister. The line was answered with a cough. “Seriously, your cheesiness might got me choked, Wendy!”

 

“I’m sorry! Here, have your drink.”

“Thank you. But is it that exhausting?”

“Well, working is exhausting, no matter what job you have. But I also enjoy it since I love doing what I’m doing. It’s just that I also need to be free just as I am now with you.”

 

Sooyoung nodded and gave Wendy a big smile. “Well, then. I also need to be this relaxed after treating some patients. Sometimes sad things happen at the clinic you know. Maybe, just maybe, your cheesy pick-up lines might help me.” She thought that she was being silly, but she knew that she could counterattack Wendy’s cheesy lines and teased the blonde girl just like what she has been doing while chatting for a couple weeks.

 

“So you don’t mind going out with me?” Wendy asked.

“No, I don’t. Let’s see how we could help each other.” Sooyoung winked.

“Well, then. Now I’m the lucky one!”

 

Sounds of fork and knife being put down signed that the dinner was over. “So, because this is our first day—no, first night, the dinner’s on me.” Sooyoung said as she reached for her purse. “No, no, no, no. I’ll pay it. You’ve been so nice showing me this place. I might visit this place again in my spare time.” That got Sooyoung shook her head a few times. “You’ll be going here with me, so you can treat me on our next date. Deal?”

 

Wendy blinked. She was about to give a reply but Sooyoung has already gone to the cashier. She took out her car key from her purse and stood, waiting for Sooyoung. “At least let me take you home?” Wendy was actually worried that Sooyoung might don’t want to let her know her place. But a smile and arm-linking from Sooyoung gave a big no as an answer to Wendy’s worry.

 

“Sure! You should know where Sonsoo would be living, shouldn’t you?”

“Wait, what? But I’m the one who’s going to adopt him!”

“But since now I am your girlfriend, he’s also mine, yes?”

“Uhh, well… does it work that way?”

“Of course!”

“But I want him at my place too…”

“Wendy, it’s too soon for us to move in together!”

“What?? I didn’t say—”

“Let’s goooo! We’ll talk about the adoption later, okay? Can’t we just enjoy the rest of the night knowing that we’re not single anymore?”

“Wow, Park Sooyoung.”

“Shut up, Wendy.”

“You really are interesting.”

“Please, tell me something I—”

“I’m falling in love with you.”

 

Sooyoung blushed and hit Wendy’s arm. “Ouch! What was that for?” Wendy asked with half a laughter. “That’s for being so cheesy. Don’t fall too quick. Let’s just enjoy our time, okay?” Sooyoung gave a smile. Wendy didn’t protest. They headed to Wendy’s car and left their first date spot.