happy birthday

happy birthday

 

By the time Wendy ends the video call, her phone is on nine percent battery and it’s two in the morning.

 

 

(“I miss you guys.”

 

“We miss you too, honey. Get some rest, okay? Don’t work too hard.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Korea’s really cold now, right? Make sure you’re wearing enough layers when you go out.”

 

“Yes, I will. Promise.”

 

“Don’t get sick!”

 

“I’ll try not to.”

 

“Goodnight, sweetie. Happy birthday again.”

 

“Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Dad.”

 

“We love you. Say hi to the other girls for us.”

 

“I will. Goodnight, I love you both.”)

 

 

Wendy makes her way to the kitchen, letting out a yawn as she flicks the lights on. Everyone else is already asleep, and the rest of the apartment is quiet, save for the soft ticking of the wall clock and the sound of water as she rinses her mug in the kitchen sink. She hums quietly to herself, enjoying the peaceful solitude.

 

It must be because the satans aren’t awake to wreak havoc, she thinks to herself with a smile.

 

She’s putting her mug on the drying rack when a sudden ‘thump’ puts an abrupt end to the calming silence, and she barely manages to suppress a shriek when she whips around to see who— or what— made the noise (who knows, Chanel could’ve snuck back in and she’s not about to take that chance!)

 

But when the sight of a disheveled bear sprawled on the couch greets her, she sighs in relief. “Seulgi?”

 

“Hi, Wan,” her roommate yawns with one side of her face squished against a cushion.

 

“Hey, you.” Wendy turns away to dry her hands. “What are you doing awake?”

 

Seulgi pouts, rubbing her eyes, “I woke up ‘cause I got hungry, but now I’m just sleepy.” Wendy shakes her head in amusement, clenching her jaw to stop a grin from splitting her face in half because how could somebody possibly ooze so much cuteness?! “So how was your call with your parents? How are they?”

 

Wendy shrugs. “It was fine, nothing new. They said to say hi to the rest of you.”

 

At that, Seulgi raises an arm towards the window and waves blindly, her eyes still closed from sleepiness. “Hi, Seungwan’s parents!” Wendy laughs at that, her nose scrunching up cutely.

 

Seulgi sits up and squints to see the wall clock from her spot on the couch. “Seungwan-ah, what time is it?”

 

“It’s…” she cranes her neck to see the clock. “…two a.m.”

 

“Really?! That means I get to be the first one to tell you!”

 

Seulgi rolls off the couch rather ungracefully, and her sweater rides up slightly, exposing a toned midriff— Wendy inhales sharply and forces her gaze elsewhere (oh, look at that cute bear magnet on the fridge.) The dancer is oblivious as she quickly shuffles towards the birthday girl. Seulgi smiles sleepily, and Wendy internally rolls around on the floor squealing at the pure adorableness in front of her. “Happy birthday Wan.”

 

Wendy puts her hands over her heart, ignoring its rapid beating. “Aw, thanks, Seul.”

 

Seulgi beams at her, and her tone is inquisitive when she speaks again, “So, Yerim told me it’s tradition to give the birthday guest of honour their birthday punches?” When Wendy hesitates, Seulgi shakes her head with a giggle. “I won’t do that.”


Wendy laughs, wiping fake sweat off her brow. “Phew, you had me worried for a second.”

 

“I’ll kiss you instead.”

 

Any next words die on her tongue, and her brain short-circuits and screeches to a halt so suddenly that it leaves mile-long tire marks before it melts into a puddle of mush. (She thinks it’s a pretty accurate description.)

 

Wendy stares, wide-eyed, at her crush- ahem, best friend.

 

Seulgi just smiles innocently.

 

Wendy blinks.

 

Did Seulgi really just say that out loud?

 

Her expression must’ve been an unwilling one, because Seulgi spews out an apology and rubs the back of her neck with a sheepish smile, explaining, “A punch just seems kind of mean to give someone on their birthday, so…”

 

Wendy blinks again. Now that the words have actually sunk in, her heart is threatening to hammer out of her ribcage. “O-Oh.”

 

Son Seungwan, think rationally! Calm down! Brain, stop malfunctioning!

 

“I mean, you don’t have to accept it if you don’t want it!” Seulgi gestures frantically. “It just, I don’t know, seems like a nice alternative?” She doesn’t notice how Wendy’s gaze trails down to her lips, staying there.

 

…… I want that kiss.

 

Wendy’s opens to speak.

 

SEUNGWAN, NO!

 

SEUNGWAN, YES!

 

She clamps it shut when a weird garbled sound comes out of , and she coughs into her fist, pretending to clear with an awkward chuckle.

 

“Wan, it’s okay, you don’t have to. Just forget this—“

 

And suddenly, words are tumbling out of before she even realises what she’s saying, “No, no, I accept!”

 

Seulgi stops in her tracks. “R- Really?”

 

Wendy nods vigorously and leans forward, her hands on the kitchen island. “Yeah!”

 

Seulgi hesitates, but she takes a tentative step forward. “Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, of course,” Wendy smiles. Now that she’s said yes, she tries not to sound too eager. “Like you said, it is a nicer alternative.”

 

When Seulgi’s face lights up, Wendy knows she’s made the right decision.

 

But she’s not done panicking, because what exactly did Seulgi mean when she said a “kiss?” Was she referring to a friendly peck? Y’know, on the cheek? Or did she mean a… a…

 

A… “kiss kiss”?

 

Wendy starts screaming internally, her poor little gay heart shaking.

 

She can’t decide if this is the best or worst thing to happen to her in the first few hours of her birthday.

 

She probably means it in a friendly way, though, Wendy thinks to herself. Well, that calmed her heart down a bit. That’s just how Seulgi is, Wendy reasons. Friendly. The bear was friendly to everyone. The grocery store clerk, the mailman, the neighbours…

 

Wendy loves that about her. How unconditionally kind Seulgi is to others.

 

Wendy tries to convince herself that this gesture of affection is no different than the hugs she would give to Yerim, Joohyun, or Sooyoung.

 

BUT WHY IS A KISS YOUR ALTERNATIVE WHAT IS THIS OH MY GOD???

 

(Yeah, she’s still screaming inside.)

 

It takes her a moment to notice that Seulgi had stopped at the other end of the kitchen island, shifting her weight from foot to foot, an expression of uncertainty drawn on her face.

 

“Seul?”

 

“Y-Yeah! I, um…” Wendy blames it on her eyesight, but she swears there’s a pink hue on Seulgi’s face. “You don’t have to force yourself, you know. It’s okay. I- I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

 

However, Wendy senses slight disappointment underneath the tone of worry. She shakes her head fondly.

 

Silly bear.

 

She leans forward and turns her head to the side, tapping her cheek playfully. “Well? Where's my kiss?” She closes her eyes and smiles wider, continuing on with her act. She doesn’t realise she suddenly starts holding her breath when she hears Seulgi shuffling closer.

 

Wendy feels a cool hand on one cheek, and she forces herself to breathe normally. She waits, expecting a sensation she knows will leave her tossing and turning in bed all night in giddiness with continuously fluttering butterflies in her tummy.

 

And it happens. Seulgi gives her a soft peck on the cheek, and Wendy squeals (internally), and she feels all tingly and excited, but what she doesn't expect is how long the warmth lingers. It lasts at least a good three seconds before Seulgi leans away and steps back.

 

Wendy can't bear to open her eyes, still basking in the warmth from their close proximity.

 

“Seungwannie?”

 

Wendy's eyes snap open and she straightens her posture immediately, clearing . She unclenches her fists behind her back, her lips automatically quirking into a smile, albeit slightly crooked.

 

It's okay. Breathe, Seungwan. Don’t do anything weird.

 

Her voice comes out octaves higher than usual when she squeaks, "Y-Yes?”

 

Well, that failed.

 

She looks up at Seulgi nervously, and as always, she's entranced.

 

Even though the charismatic bear is just wearing a wrinkled, oversized sweater paired with shorts (that shows off those heavenly legs- Seungwan, focus! ) and fluffy slippers, with her hair tied up in a messy, bed-tousled bun, she's just stunning.

 

"Happy birthday, Wan-ah.” Seulgi smiles at her, eyes curving into crescents, and Wendy swears that her roommate was going to melt her in the kitchen right there and then. They hold eye contact for a few more moments, and her eyes trail down her nose, before resting on those lips again—

 

She quickly averts her gaze elsewhere. "Um, thanks, Seul!" Wendy starts backing away. “I’m, uh, gonna go sleep. You should, too.”

 

"I will..." Seulgi trails off.

 

Of course Wendy notices the sudden shift in demeanour.

 

“Hey, what's up?” Wendy walks closer, a frown beginning to settle in on her face. “Did you want to talk about something?” Seulgi stays mute but fidgets slightly, playing with the hem of her sweater. “Seul? Are you okay?”

 

Seulgi opens , and Wendy's eyebrows instinctively rise in anticipation. Seulgi blinks before bursting into giggles, muffled by her sweater paw (Wendy's still confused and slightly surprised, but manages to suppress her aww's at the adorable sight in front of her).

 

“I’m sorry, that was just so cute,” Seulgi manages to stutter out in-between laughs. Wendy rolls her eyes, playfully shoving her. The atmosphere becomes warm again, and the giggles die down.

 

They both lean on the kitchen island with their elbows, their shoulders touching.

 

“So, nothing's wrong?” Wendy asks as she looks at Seulgi, and she instinctively reaches out to tuck away stray strands of hair, fixing her bangs slightly.

 

“Well, um…” Seulgi bites her bottom lip. (Wendy subconsciously bites her own.) The shorter woman begins to retract her hand, but Seulgi suddenly grabs it, interweaving their fingers.

 

Their eyes lock.

 

"Wait!” Seulgi tries to form coherent words. “Um, I…”

 

At this point, Wendy’s trying her best not to yank Seulgi closer and lean in with eyes closed so their lips can finally meet and a soft scent of citrus invades her nostrils and there's a warm—

 

Wait, huh?

 

Seulgi pulls away first (and far too soon for Wendy's liking once she processed what the HELL JUST HAPPENED), blabbering apologies that are probably too loud for this late hour with wide eyes and frantic gestures, and Wendy reaches up gingerly to touch her own lips.

 

She stares at Seulgi, who looks like she's close to tears, and that snaps Wendy out of her daze. She immediately envelops Seulgi in a massive hug, which the latter shakily returns, seemingly attempting to quell the sobs that threatened to erupt from her chest.

 

"Let's head to our room first," Wendy suggests softly, and Seulgi nods, sniffling before obediently shuffling towards their shared bedroom, Wendy following close behind after pouring both Seulgi and herself some much-needed water.

 

They sit on their respective sides of the beds they had pushed together, facing each other. Wendy makes Seulgi drink the whole mug of water before they can talk. She takes this time to take a sip of her own water, replaying that... moment over and over again in her mind.

 

"Seungwan, I'm so sorry about that, I- I wasn't thinking and—“

 

The sudden waterfall of words causes Wendy to jolt in her seat, and she quickly places their empty mugs (Seulgi’s orange one that matches with her blue one) on the bedside table. "Seul—“ 

 

“Just now, you looked so beautiful, I mean, you always do but just now, the—“

 

“Seulgi, calm down,” Wendy attempts to coax while her head spins, because what in SM's dungeon is happening right now?!

 

Too many things are happening at once, and Wendy’s overwhelmed by it all, to say the least.

 

"It's been a long time, but I was sure that there was no way you would ever think like that. I mean, this is—“

 

Wendy interjects again, "Seulgi, what are you saying?"

 

She needs clarification. She can't deal with these heart palpitations much longer or she'll pass out for sure.

 

“I- I..."

 

Wendy’s heart is beating so loud she’s scared that Seulgi will hear it. It only intensifies when Seulgi reaches out, ever so timidly, to place her trembling hand over Wendy's smaller one. Wendy flips her hand over to caress the back of Seulgi's hand with her thumb, her gaze encouraging.

 

Seulgi exhales deeply, sniffling, and Wendy wants nothing more than to kiss the tears away.

 

"I, kind of, have a really, really big crush on..." Seulgi looks away, biting her lip. "Uh... That's not accurate... I, uh..."

 

Wendy inhales sharply.

 

Seulgi peers up at her through her bangs, her voice meek as she whispers, "I'm... kind of in love with you, Seungwan."

 

Wendy's stomach plummets, but in a good way. Her eyes widen, eyebrows instantaneously disappearing into her hairline, and her jaw goes slack.

 

The confession hangs in the air.

 

"I'm so sorry, Seungwan. I—“ Seulgi stops mid-sentence, alarmed. "Wait, why are you crying?!"

 

Amidst more of Seulgi's blubbering apologies, Wendy’s tears involuntarily streak down her face, and her heart soars. She doesn't even think twice before throwing her arms around Seulgi's neck and wrapping her in a tight hug, toppling them both onto Seulgi's bed.

 

Seulgi yelps, but Wendy cuts her off with another chaste kiss, tears still escaping from her eyes. Warmth blooms in her chest as she cradles Seulgi's face, and she smiles when she feels Seulgi’s arms wrap securely around her torso, reciprocating the kiss just as eagerly.

 

Time seems to stop, and Wendy doesn’t want the moment to end.

 

They break apart, but Wendy peppers Seulgi's face with butterfly kisses, murmuring tearful “I love you”s and “Thank you”s before burrowing her face back into Seulgi's neck.

 

The constant heavy weight on her chest for the past two years dissipates, just like that.

 

They stay like that for a while, Seulgi patting Wendy's back until she calms down. “Are you okay? I'll get you some more water, I'll be right back.” As she watches Seulgi teeter unsteadily towards their bedroom door, and she wonders if Seulgi's as affected by everything as she is. When Seulgi returns, and Wendy's breathing finally evens out after some water, Seulgi brushes purple bangs to the side so she can better see her favourite pair of mesmerising eyes. "So..."

 

“So…”

 

"I take that as a yes to my confession?" Seulgi asks with faux confidence (her trembling hand gives it away).

 

Wendy chuckles in disbelief. "Y-Yeah..."

 

Their hands somehow find each other and interlocks, and Seulgi leans forward, pressing a kiss on Wendy's nose before gently knocking their foreheads together, laughing softly.

 

"I wasn't able to finish what I wanted to say before…” Seulgi breathes out.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Happy birthday, Seungwannie.” Their noses brush, and Wendy's eyelids flutter to a close, her heart singing upon the next words she had only ever dreamed of hearing from a particular teddy bear. “I love you.”

 

Wendy smiles.

 

“I love you, too.”

 

 

//

 

 

The next morning, Joohyun, Yerim, and Sooyoung peep inside the bedroom to find the newly established couple cuddled up in bed, still in deep slumber.

 

Joohyun lets out a soft “aww” before entering the room to fix the duvet, quickly pulling it to cover their whole bodies in case they got cold; it would be unwise to get sick now.

 

The youngest two stay by the doorway, and Sooyoung pumps her fists in the air, mouth open in a silent scream. She turns to face Yerim, hand outstretched. "You owe me 50 bucks," the taller satan whispers gleefully.

 

Joohyun shakes her head in amusement as she walks past them, ruffling their hair before heading to the kitchen.

 

Yerim groans in annoyance at having lost the bet, but as she eyes the still-asleep couple begrudgingly, the corners of start quirking up into an affectionate smile. She shrugs, quietly pulling the door closed.

 

“I guess Seulgi unnie's got some guts, after all.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

i love our February babies <3

 

This was supposed to be uploaded on Wendy’s birthday, but as usual, life always gets in the way of things I want to do.

 

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this crappy oneshot that I’ve been trying to edit (and failing to do so miserably) amidst all my studying.

 

Hope you all enjoyed, and please leave comments. I’d love to hear your thoughts :)

See you again soon~

 

—afangirlmess (ง'̀-'́)ง