Fall Meets Spring

Fall Meets Spring

 

Kim Yerim sits down on the empty bench in the park that's literally five minutes away from her house with an envelope she's holding tightly with trembling hands. She closes her eyes as she holds the envelope in her hands tightly, too scared to open and see what's written in it. She wants to stay positive and think she made it this time but her experiences doesn't let her stay positive and firmly state that she's not going to make it. With trembling hands, she carefully opens it and pulls out a white paper, stating that her work wasn't accepted once again to be published. Yerim, who particularly knew it was going to happen, just slowly puts it back to its envelope and sends the envelope to the trashcan, to where it belongs.

Yerim is an aspiring writer who wants to publish her own books but works only as an editor yet, because her work place does not accept to publish her own works at the moment. They always find something that's wrong — which are mostly seemed subjective and their critism is always short with just one or two sentences, sometimes words — and Yerim finds it very suffocating sometimes but still, she feels like she has no other place to go.

She knows that she should leave that place for good and find herself somewhere that's better and less toxic for someone like her, but she also can't, a) she's just a rookie, and she needs the money from the work b) she's not confident enough to share her works with other places yet. Even though she doesn't like it a lot, she can't afford to lose the job when another one isn't waiting on stand-by for her because that's how she's able to pay her rent and life expenses thanks to being an editor and a waitress, her part-time job at a patisserie.

Until when you are going to fix other's works instead of releasing yours? Yerim thinks and gets angry at herself for being less confident. It's not something she can easily change, especially about a matter that means her life to her. She sends her work only to her company because it's the place that she started working right after university ended, for two and a half years now, and she feels some kind of trust to it. It might sound a little stupid considering how that place isn't doing much for her but still, for Yerim, that place looks like the only place that won't judge her for her works even though they won't accept them, and she finds comfort in it.

Yerim had a professor named Choi Jonghyun from university that she still keeps in touch, he is just like a father to her and her boss is actually a friend of professor, and he introduced them to each other and recommended Yerim for that place. She feels the responsibility in her shoulders even today and, being less confident isn't helping when there's pressure. She knows she shouldn't be, her professor is really kind and sent her there because he appreciated her work, and she graduated at the top of her class, but she feels more and more indifferent about her work place day by day and it is getting harder to keep it all in.

Yerim looks at the swings and focuses on the children's laughter around her as she sadly thinks where she could be in the past years if she wasn't a coward. The sky is slowly leaving its bright blue lines to navy blue ones now, it's about time for kids to go back home and get ready for dinner with their parents, she watches them with a sad smile.

For a second, she feels like someone's watching her. She first thinks it is because of the cold breeze but later, as the feeling still somehow annoys her, she breaks her focus on the swings and looks around for who's doing that, she sees a red haired girl sitting on the bench that's on the opposite of Yerim's, at the other side of the park. Yerim at first laughs at herself for directly thinking she's staring at her — why would a girl like that stare at a girl like Yerim when her hair is as messy as her thoughts and her dresses are as simple as it can be — when she might look at something that's behind her. She turns to see if there's something behind her but there's nothing, looking at girl after her check Yerim sees her smiling at her and feels embarrassed. She expects the girl to break the eye connection however the red haired girl looks like she has no intention to do it.

There is something in the girl's eyes that makes Yerim uneasy, she looks at her like she's reading her soul. Her stare gives chills to Yerim, as if her body is electrified by it. In the end, Yerim gets tired of waiting for the girl and decides to break it herself, why must she keep staring someone she doesn't even know? She looks at the swings again, and she doesn't see any children on it this time, also the sky is getting also more cloudy and darker. Time to slowly get up and go home, she thinks as she sits more upright on her bench.

Unexpectedly, as if the red haired girl read her mind and find out that Yerim is about to leave, she gets up from her bench and comes to sit down next to Yerim. She can't protest since she doesn't keep that seat reserved for someone else and can't force someone to get up from it, she tries not to make a big deal out of it since she will get up soon.

“Do you live there?” the girl asks as she points at the white building with her finger. She has a baby voice, a voice that sounds perfect to ears no matter what is being said. She looks at where the girl points at and it's no other than the white building that's only five minutes away from the park. That is really my house, Yerim thinks as she gets nervous. A stranger knows where I am living in...

“Why should I give this information to a stranger?” Yerim asks as she looks away at anything other than the girl, she will make it obvious that she's nervous if she makes eye contact, so she tries to avoid it as much as possible.

“Well,” the girl continues with that adorable and a little addicting baby voice of hers. “I saw you getting out of there... like... twenty minutes ago and... you've been sitting here for exactly twenty minutes, am I wrong?”

Yerim can't believe what she just heard because it's correct. She looks at her watch and it says 6pm when Yerim came to the park at 5:40pm. Without knowing what to say, she silently nods and still looks away from the girl.

“And... I'm not a stranger since your next door neighbor, Stephanie is my sister. Your name is Yerim, right?”

Yerim gets surprised to see her neighbor Stephanie's sister in front of her suddenly when Stephanie always says she is busy and she has a hard time seeing her. Stephanie always talks about her young sister a lot, how pretty she is and how successful she is and such... Yerim knows that she is two years older than her, twenty-four, and she works at an important company, in the planning team as she remembers. She also heard about her talents, such as singing — which is understandable the moment you hear her voice — and taking care of animals and such... Yerim agrees with Stephanie now, her sister is indeed beautiful. She has a delicate, pretty face that's refreshing and, at least from what she can see, a great body too. People probably won't leave her alone, and she probably has a busy social life, Yerim thinks.

“And you are Sooyoung, right? It's nice to meet you, your sister talks about you a lot.” she asks to make sure if she was right as she finally looks at the girl properly after she sat down next to her.

“You are right, I'm Sooyoung! It's so nice to meet you too, my sister told me a lot about you actually and even showed your pictures to me, that's how I could recognize you before. Sorry if I bothered you with my stare, I was just trying to make sure you were the one I saw in pictures. She also said that you seem kinda sad all the—” the girl replies with a warm smile and Yerim tries to keep up with it but fails since she's not in a good mood.

“That's how I normally am, it is okay.” Yerim explains as she knows what Sooyoung would say. Since she doesn't smile too often, she's used to being seen that way by people and at some point, she doesn't care and she doesn't want to fake it.

“But I don't see you that way and I don't think that's how you are.” Sooyoung says as she frowns at how Yerim seems to believe she does actually look like that to everyone. She gets up from the bench and starts fixing Yerim's messy bun, since Yerim doesn't have the strength to do it for herself later she allows Sooyoung's hands to do what they want. “I think you are someone who's been through a lot with a lot of things on her mind and eventually, forget how to smile. I think you would be fall if you were a season.

So I wasn't wrong about her gaze, she can actually read souls, Yerim thinks as she tries not to make her thoughts obvious. She's a little surprised to be named as a season from the first meeting, but she also likes it, it's fresh and unique. She can't help but smile after thinking how much the season fall actually matches with her personality.

“You are pretty accurate, actually.” Yerim says as she thanks Sooyoung for doing her hair for her. Sooyoung waves her hand like saying it's nothing and smiles brightly, Yerim likes her smile.

“What do you think I would be?” the girl asks excitedly as she stands upright for Yerim to study on her better.

And Yerim takes a better, more detailed and careful look on the girl. She's really pretty, she has a refreshing beauty that makes the one want to look at her more. On the other hand, her eyes seem to shine like stars but to Yerim, something is sad about them — as if the way they shine specially more bright to hide something deep inside.

I think you would be spring.” Yerim says as she fixes her glasses. “You seem to have both sadness and happiness inside you, but unlike some people like me, you are strong enough to cover it up. That's why, unlike summer, you are not always sunny and sometimes have cloudy or rainy weather. Because the sadness you keep in suppressed pours up, you can't always keep it all in. Make sure you let it go sometimes.”

The girl looks at Yerim with surprised eyes, probably in the way Yerim looked at her before when she did her guess about her and she is glad to make a right guess — it would be a little embarrassing since Sooyoung managed to guess it perfectly.

“I want to be friends.” she says, surprising Yerim. Yerim doesn't have much of friends, she has only two friends actually and it's her co-workers from her part-time job, Wendy and Saeron. Since Sooyoung is Stephanie's sister, and she seems nice and unique, Yerim doesn't want to reject her offer.

“We can be friends of course, but you'll get bored with me in no time though.” she warns Sooyoung. “I'm not much of a fun person.”

“So am I.”

Yerim doesn't expect such a reply since Sooyoung seems pretty social and right before she can ask Sooyoung why she replied her like that, Sooyoung's phone starts ringing. She doesn't listen since she knows the basic manners, but she can't help to hear some sentences such as go to supermarket over ... buy the blue one, not the pink one... After her conversation ends, she looks at Yerim with sad eyes signaling that she has to leave. Yerim smiles brightly this time, to send Sooyoung well because Sooyoung doesn't look happy about leaving.

“Be careful,” she says as she friendly pushes the unwilling Sooyoung to leave. “It's getting darker and the wind's getting strong with more clouds, it might rain.”

“Not all strong winds and dark clouds bring a storm, sometimes they come and go after making people fear them. Maybe they are trying to say not all bad or badly-seemed events should be completely destroying and might actually can come and go in time, sometimes even without a fuss?”

Sooyoung says as she smiles to Yerim and Yerim can't help but stare at the girl. It's obvious that she's not talking about the weather but Yerim and her thoughts. Her words accurate but hard to believe at the same time, Yerim always has a hard time believing the bad days will pass. Sooyoung leaves as she waves at her new friend and Yerim does the same, but more dazed and weaker waves than her friend's as she watches her go.

Yerim finally stands up and gets in to her flat after that, she can't stop thinking about Sooyoung and their conversation. She stares at the mirror to see her tired reflection after taking a short shower and gets teary-eyed at the sight of her eye balls and decadant cheeks. She pushes herself too hard sometimes and no matter how much she tries to prevent herself from doing so. You are working hard, Yerim, sorry for going so hard on you, she apologizes to herself as she dries her short hair by using the towel. I'm sorry for not understanding you and ask you to change immediately when it's impossible for you to. You will be alright, as long as you work hard and be more brave you'll be alright and I'm proud of you.

She checks outside before she gets to bed after she finishes her work for the night... and it really doesn't rain that night, not for once. The clouds and the wind just goes without a fuss — they make it harder for Yerim to stop thinking about the girl and regret not asking for her number when she had the chance. She can't believe herself for missing someone she literally just met, and she can't help but wonder if the latter does the same for her as she sighs.

 

---

 

“That'll be $28, thank you.” Yerim smiles to the customers that take their packets and leave.

Yerim is at her part-time job as usual at weekends, and she loves it there, the place is silent and serene, cozy with its long and beige walls with small but adorable set up and soft indie songs that melts you in their melody. She can collect ideas for her new writings, enjoy her work time with her best friends Wendy and Saeron and be able to stay for a while to write, her boss allows her to do that. She works at this place longer than her original workplace so this is where she feels more at home. This is the place where she thinks she writes and uses every word delicately, but she's always told the opposite.

She loves being an editor — first of all, she loves the language and warm the feeling of being able to make writings and communications more understanding. She also loves giving opinions to an author and her opinions are always well-received but when it comes to her own writing, Yerim needs some objective view and people around her always tell her something is missing, but they can't quite name it either. Yerim just doesn't understand what it is and this is a good place to think about it.

After sending her customers with their packets, she looks around to see if other customers need anything, and she doesn't see someone that requires her service, everyone's enjoying their deserts with their loved ones. It's almost time for the shop to be closed as well, Yerim works at the night shifts and it's almost 11pm, close to closing time. Saeron also gives her a sign to go, saying she will take care of there. Seeing that and thanking Saeron with a cute bow, Yerim turns herself to the kitchen from the cashier, to talk with Wendy.

“I really wonder what Sooyoung looks like, send me a picture of her when you two finally meet again and you manage to get her number.” Wendy says excitedly as she stands behind the oven in the kitchen.

Sadly, Yerim couldn't see Sooyoung for the past few days, and she's too shy to ask her number from her sister, so she's waiting for the spirits, good energy or whatever to bring them back together. She told Wendy and Saeron about her meeting with Sooyoung, they think that Yerim and Sooyoung can be a good match — since how many people could read a stranger they just met for a few minutes and find the season that matches them — and to her, someone like Sooyoung is the best for Yerim.

And for Yerim's luck, the good energy works on her side as she sees Sooyoung getting inside the pasterisse with her friends.

She can't believe her eyes and pull Wendy's arms as an effect of excitement at first, scaring Wendy with her sudden movements. Wendy excitedly turns to look at Sooyoung and Saeron rushes to them with excitement to see Sooyoung as well. They go wow when they see Sooyoung, eyeing Yerim that Sooyoung is hot and Yerim blushes. They go crazy when Sooyoung manages to catch Yerim's gaze to her and smiles brightly to her, asking her over.

Sooyoung sits at the far end table with seven friends of hers, probably for work since they look like they're carrying heavy bags. All her friends open their bags immediately after sitting down while Sooyoung asks Yerim come over. Excitedly, Yerim rushes to her customer until... another customer of hers enters the patisserie with a disgusting smile on her face.

Girls, this is the place Yerim works in, I'm sure she'll take good care of us. Oh, there she is, our Yerimie!

Yerim looks away as Han Seohyun recklessly walks in and sits on the table that's right in front of Yerim, blocking Yerim's way to Sooyoung. She's the best-selling author of Yerim's workplace, and she always tends to make fun of Yerim for wanting to be a writer when there's literally nothing wrong with it. Ever since working there, she targets Yerim as her victim for her entertainment and Yerim doesn't even care about her words anymore, she hates the fact that she comes there when Sooyoung is there as well. Ashamed, Yerim decides to walk over to Sooyoung as if nothing happened, and she didn't hear them at all but Seohyun grabs her arm before she can, digging her nails on her arm.

“Are you just going to pass by your sunbae? Don't you think it's rude, your sunbae also has guests with her after all.” she asks as her nails dig deeper into Yerim's skin and Yerim pushes her hand away.

“There's an another waitress who can take care of your needs sunbae, please let me go.” Yerim says as calmly as possible and checks the customer's after, luckily no one seems to care about what is going on.

“The other waitress can take care of the other table, you should be here treating your sunbaes better, don't you think?” Seohyun asks with an evil spark in her eyes and Yerim knows she has to do as Seohyun says even if she doesn't want to because she won't let her go until she does.

Yerim eyes Saeron and Saeron gets on the move to Sooyoung's table as Yerim sighs and ask for what they want. Seohyun has five female friends with her, and they all make their orders nicely as Seohyun does nothing but talk badly about Yerim's projects. She knows that Seohyun will use this chance to attack her immediately after getting in, but she still thought she would start at least after ordering. Instead of ordering what she wants, she is keep talking about how Yerim sends her work to their chef and always gets rejected but doesn't get tired of being rejected and such and makes her stand in front of them like a tree... Yerim is used to it by now, so she closes her ears and lets it all pass by her ears and cut through her skin like knives.

“Our chief once let me read one of them and I can easily say that she is—”

“He did what?” Yerim asks with an angry tone, clenching her fists. She can take it all but not this, for all this time, Yerim thought her works were only between her and her boss but thinking Seohyun held her precious novels in her filthy hands, Yerim starts to lose control.

“He lets me read them sometimes, saying they are extremely boring and missing.” she continues as she understands that she hit the right vital spot of Yerim, still she tries her best to cage her anger.

“Please stop talking and order already.” Yerim says as she places another menu on her empty plate. “Don't you think you talked enough? There are other customers here but you, and there are only two waitresses who have to deal with everything.”

“Does it hurt you so much to know that I read your crappy work? Is that personal when you want it to be shared with the whole world and that's why you give it to him in the first place? Do you think you are making any sense right now?”

“Tell me honestly, are you reading it objectively?”

“What?” Seohyun gets surprised by Yerim's question as she just blinks to it. “What else do you expect from a professional?” she tries to save herself however, as Yerim expected, she fails with the weak tone of her voice.

“No, you don't, that's why I don't want you to touch my work. Also, as a professional, don't you know that you shouldn't read someone else's works even though he's being a jerk enough to offer it to you? Aren't you a writer? Why don't you understand, even at least try to understand my feelings and solicitude about my works?”

“What nonsense are you sprouting right now? A book is written to be read, you can't decide who will read it and who will not. Having someone famous and intelligent like me to read your book must be an honour and you are still talking back to me rudely, I'm speechless.” she says as she points at Yerim with her fingers to her friends, acting like Yerim is the one causing the trouble between them.

“If it's a book that's ready to be published, of course anyone can read it but mine are just drafts now! They need to be finished before being read like that. I send them to him because I'm expecting a critical criticism, to understand what's missing and what is lacking with the way I am writing, some of them are not even comple—”

“Admit the truth, your work will never be able to become more than a draft and these are just your excuses because you don't want to admit it. Just do, these are facts anyway and I promise, it will be between us.”

“So you want me to admit a lie? Sorry, I can't do it. However, do you want the truth so badly? Shall I talk with only truth too?” Yerim asks as she takes a deep breath in, she can feel her cheeks burning with anger.

“Why were you keeping it hidden from the beginning, huh? It'll be more fun if you let it out as well.” Seohyun says with a smirk on her face. “Come on, attack me with the truth.”

Yerim clenches her firsts and feels her own nails digging her own palms now, it hurts a lot but Yerim can't seem to find anything else that will calm her down. She looks around, at least other customers don't stare at them since they are speaking low, she only sees Sooyoung and Saeron's eyes on her. She looks at Sooyoung with apologetic eyes for the last time before she starts.

Yerim doesn't want to be rude in front of her, it's the last thing she wants but it's inevitable, since Yerim already lost the point where she can calm herself down. She doesn't want Sooyoung to see her like this, she can't help but wish to stop the time for only Seohyun and herself to hear their conversation, but she knows it's impossible and sighs.

“So we are going to talk with the truth only...” she says before gathering up her courage and clearing her voice. “He must've been got so bored with you in bed to let you read my works, then. Also, considering the fact that he's so bored with your writings that he even gets ghost-writes for you, I feel better myself better since he's not that bored with me yet. Don't you think so as well? By the way, it's nice to know that you are friendly with them and even bringing them with you.”

Two girls sitting on the table looks down to the floor, looking like guilty children who just broke the glass vase during playing and getting ready to be scolded. Seohyun is so shocked that she can't even more, she just blinks at Yerim.

“Do you think we really don't know all this?” Yerim asks as she can't believe how silent Seohyun is. “We all know of it, all of your dirty deeds but keep it in because you are our boss' favorite. Stop playing around while he still favors you and start using your own pe—”

“That's where you are mistaken, Yerim.” Seohyun says as she cuts her, thinking finally she gets herself a chance to bury her down. “He will always favor me but not you. Do you want to know why? It is because you are a nobody, Yerim. A nobody, he will only favor you if you create a hit and since it won't be possible soon and I will be there to block it, you are always going to be a nobody. Even though he will get bored with me, I have money, a power family and a brand name to protect myself. You are a nobody with no one to protect you and you will always live like that, forever. Down, at the freaking bottom of the food chain and the toy, the entertainer of people who are rich and powerful like me. It has always been like that and it will always be.”

“No, Seohyun-ah.” Yerim says after swallowing all the things she just heard. “I'm never going to be a nobody as long as I have something I can write on, just like how you will never be able to understand this feeling as a writer. Whatever you call yours as a writer, actually won't be yours at all. If your money was taken away from you, then you would actually be a nobody because there is nothing you can do on your own. I might be at the end of the food chain but I won't be your toys and stay to deal with your bull. You and I will never be able to understand each other.”

“If you think that, you must also know who has to leave. I don't want to work with people who annoy me. Make sure to prepare yourself for it, we all know how much you need the money after all.” Seohyun says as she gets up from her chair and takes her crew with her to leave.

Yerim finally lets out a breath and releases her fingers to see her palms red and bleeding. She wants to cry — she wants to cry her eyes out and scream, burn the place to the ground with her anger, but she doesn't, since she knows it won't make her feel better, it will only cause her more pain. She cleans the table just like nothing happened after her customers left and walks straight to kitchen, to cry at a place where no one can see her. Seungwan pats on her shoulder as she gets in, and she holds her friend's hand as a thank you for the support, she gets inside the little washroom of the kitchen and closes the door — showing Wendy she wants to be alone and making her tears inaudible. Wendy knocks on the door after they close the shop and takes Yerim out of there, giving her loads of napkins and a big warm hug. Saeron joins them as well, since it's closing time they are the only ones in the shop.

“Come with us.” Saeron says after their hug. “We'll drink and spend the night in karaoke if we can catch it.”

“I have work to do at home, I have to go.” Yerim says as she wipes away the last tear standing on her cheek. “You guys go already, catch it before it closes. I will handle the shop.”

“No, we'll stay wi—” Wendy insists.

“I insist. Leave already, have a great night for me as well. I know you want to be here for me when I cry and you are usually but you really respect me having some time to cry and you deserve a reward for it. As friends, you are doing everything you can do for me, I won't ask for more. Enjoy your night, I'll be fine.”

Yerim sends off her best friend and checks the shop for the one last time. After deciding everything is okay and doing some cleanings up for the one last time, she gets ready to lock the shop.

Who was that?

Yerim startles at the sudden baby voice and question that she drops the keys on the floor, Sooyoung picks it up for her and give it to her, carefully placing it to the unhurt parts. Yerim thinks she already left with her friends before, after Seohyun left, but she wasn't gone, she's standing right in front of Yerim as she's leaning on the cold building. She doesn't have her bags with her now, she's only wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a long coat in that cold weather.

“A bully, a writer from work—I mean, my other and main work. You probably know her though, she's famous.” Yerim replies as her hands still tremble from anger. “I... I never talk back like this but... she said something that's unforgivable to me and I can't seem to get over it even now.” Yerim says as she tries to lock the shop seeing how her hands tremble, Sooyoung takes it over.

“I hate people like that, she said so many unforgivable things and I will never forgive her for any of them.” Sooyoung says and hands Yerim a packet filled with medicine. “Let's go to the park and take these for your hand.” Sooyoung says and pulls Yerim from her arm, not letting her refuse.

“At this hour? What are we going to do in the park at this hour?”

“Breathe, talk, let things out before they pile inside us, don't you think we should do that sometimes? It is what you suggested me to do, remember? As spring, I decided fall needs to do it sometimes too. Come on, follow me.”

Yerim nods and follows Sooyoung silently. Even though Yerim wanted to be alone at first, she thinks she will feel better after talking with Sooyoung and Sooyoung thinks it's a situation that Yerim shouldn't be left alone, so she stands strong for her plan. Her steps start to follow Sooyoung's orders, and they come to the park in the middle of the night. There is no one around and it's kind of soothing. She rushes to the swings immediately to sit on her favorite color, purple, and Sooyoung laughs at seeing her enthusiasm considering the fact that she didn't want to be there at first. Sooyoung sits down on the one that's green, right next to Yerim's. After sitting down, Yerim treats her hand with the packet Sooyoung gave to her and cries silently as she does so. Sooyoung can't stand Yerim crying and sits down on her legs, right in front Yerim's swing and gives her a napkin.

“You always see me at my worst, you know.” she says embarrassed and covers her face with her hands. “I'm not usually a bright person but—but I'm not usually this bad. I'm actually much better, a lot better than how you see me.”

“What do you mean?” Sooyoung says as she takes the napkin from her hands and wipes her tears for her. “You are not bad right now and you weren't bad the first time either. You are hurt, there's no need to cover up for it and don't worry, everyone is. And... if this is your worst, I'm really excited for your best.”

Yerim laughs as she takes the napkin from her hands and since it's soaking, Sooyoung gives her a new one.

No one should read the other's lines they don't have the heart and soul to appreciate it, this is what I believe in.” Yerim starts to explain the situation indirectly. “And those lines that might be sloppy and not good for the one reading, but those lines are the whole world of the writer. I just... I can't understand how cruel some people are. I know, I'm a little closed to criticism and I shouldn't be, it's what I'm mostly scared of but still, I don't want my lines to be shared with bad, wicked people without my consent, especially when they are just drafts that's open to development. It's stupid, right?”

“No, you are not, why are you downgrading your thoughts? You must stand strong behind them so that others can too.” Sooyoung asks as she fixes Yerim hair and glasses for her. “Don't think for others and think that they think just like you, that'll make everything worse for you. I don't think you are stupid, but actually very delicate, too delicate and kind. By the way, everyone is a little closed to criticism, that's how we are, but we learn to receive it and turn our weaknesses to our strengths, because that's also how we are. And, you are absolutely right about not wanting to share your works with others if you and they are not ready, no one should share your lines with others without your permission. Don't work there anymore, they seem toxic.”

“That is what I am planning to, I was scared before but now, I really think about it now.” Yerim says and sighs as she places her right hand on Sooyoung's left shoulder. “My professor from university recommended me to there, that's my first place and because of it, I feel like I have a commitment and a big responsibility to it but I hate there so much, I just really hate it. I will be stronger from now on and find the right place for me.”

That's my girl!” Sooyoung cheers loudly and makes Yerim laugh.

“Get up now, your legs are going to hurt. I'm not going to cry anymore, thanks to you. Thank you, Sooyoung, for everything.”

“There's no need to thank me, I didn't do anything. I just listen you and I will, whenever you need me to.” Sooyoung says and thinks if she wants to complete it by saying she should be as her friend, but she decides that she doesn't want to add that part to her sentence. “Thank you for sharing it with me, I thought you wouldn't want to.”

“I feel comfortable with you, I don't have to hide anything because you see me as I am, fall, remember?”

“Yes of course, I also feel comfortable with you, as spring. Our friendship is quite interesting, considering the seasons we are.”

“You are right, it is.” Yerim shortly replies with a smile and sighs as she looks at the sky.

“What makes you feel better when you are down?” she asks shortly afterwards and surprises Sooyoung with her question, Sooyoung takes some time before answering.

“Well,” she says as she gets up and takes a deep breath in. “This refreshed feeling? Come on, try.”

Confused, Yerim gets up with Sooyoung's orders and takes a deep breath in, storing it in her stomach before breathing out. This feeling is indeed refreshing, it makes Yerim a little dizzy but still, she likes it. Since Yerim is still up, she also makes her do some stretching and relieve back pain. Satisfied sensei now lets her little grasshopper sit down.

“Do you like the this?” she says and Yerim nods, looking down on the pebbles beneath them. “Are you ready for the second option?”

“What's the second option?” Yerim asks excitedly, since she likes the first one she's excited to know others.

You did well, Yerim-ah.” Sooyoung says calmly with her refreshing, cute baby voice as she places her hand on Yerim's shoulder as she stands in front of her. “For this, fluttering and comforting feeling. The feeling of being appreciated, especially by someone you care about. Being praised for your hard work no matter what the outcome is. Having someone understand your hardship and need to be accepted. There are times that makes you feel like no one will but trust me, there will always be someone that will understand you. This belief keeps me going, no matter how hard things are sometimes. Even it you can't find someone, say this to yourself.”

Yerim can relate this feeling wholeheartedly since she has been longing for this exact feeling. Her heart is beating and Sooyoung's hand is burning her shoulder, her words keep ringing in her ears. You did well Yerim, you are doing well Yerim. Such short sentences have the power to make someone tears up at them, how strange, isn't it? She wipes away her tears immediately and holds onto Sooyoung's hand that's still on her shoulder.

“What's the third option?” she asks even more excitedly than the first time. Sooyoung bites down her lip and sits back down on her swing, still holding Yerim's hand.

“Oh, the third one... Well, you have to find it yourself.” Sooyoung starts to explain. “It's love, it is very healing.”

“Isn't it a painful thing? How am I even suppose to find it?”

“Sometimes you don't have to look around to find it and just open your eyes to people around you. And, even if it's sometimes a painful thing, I can't lie about it, it still is beautiful and something that's must be felt. It makes you feel better when you have someone you can lean on when you are down. Love makes you bolder and daring, it's nice.”

Sooyoung looks right into Yerim's eyes when she says that and Yerim feels like Sooyoung is reading her again, but she doesn't take away her eyes this time and tries to read Sooyoung as well, trying to understand who she implies to when she says open your eyes.

“Don't worry about it too much though, it will come to you. Love works a lot more differently than we think, we should just let it happen at the right time.”

“You are right, I will take your advice.” she shortly replies and smiles as if she doesn't feel the intensity to the moment in the air.

“It's cold, let's get in now.”

Yerim just nods and follows Sooyoung to the building. Once they get in and Sooyoung walks to the door that's completely the opposite of Yerim's, she remembers that she still doesn't have her number and finally asks Sooyoung for it. Sooyoung also says that she keeps forgetting to ask too, both laugh after the small chat and get inside to their flats.

Yerim takes a long shower and thinks about what she said to Sooyoung today. Resigning from there and finding another place, does she really have the courage to do it? She reminds herself how strong she stood in front of Seohyun, and she should always be like that. She feels herself better now that she let somethings out, and she doesn't want to feel like she felt before again.

Yerim takes a deep breath and checks some of place's web pages, to see if she can find an empty spot before resigning. She finds three choices and decides to visit them before the monthly meeting of her work place and emails her professor to inform him about the situation. She can't help but feel bad when she imagines the scene of her professor learning the news from her boss, not from herself. He treats Yerim just like a father after all, he deserves to know what is going on from her directly, still she asks him to stay out of it because she knows that he will try to talk it out with her boss first. Yerim wants to cut her ties with that place completely, it is not something her professor can fix, and she explains it to him all carefully on her email, also gives him a promise to explain it all at a meeting some time, to talk all of this face to face. 

She looks at her own reflection again before going to bed and finds a faint spark in her eyes, it makes her smile to herself for the first time in a long while. Everything will be better from now on, Yerim. Keep working hard.


---

 

After finally exchanging numbers, Yerim and Sooyoung non-stop texts each other — literally from the morning to the evening, their eyes are on the screen and their fingers hurt from repetitive movements. They want to meet as well but Sooyoung went to a business trip two weeks ago, just after they exchanged numbers and all they can do right now is to text each other about almost everything. They sometimes send video calls to each other, but they get to do it less since the time difference doesn't match well.

Yerim feels so much better and happy now that she finally gets to know Sooyoung, piece by piece — what she likes to do when she has free time, what is her taste in music and books, what does she have allergies for, what are her favorite meals, what does she dislike, how is her day going and to make it short: everything. Yerim feels like her heart is pounding whenever a new message comes, and she can't help but smile widely as she reads and answers them. Since she has never felt like this before, she sometimes has a hard time believing herself. Is it love? Yerim tries to understand her heart. What am I going to do with it?

And, Yerim is of course texting with Sooyoung as she sits on the chair in the empty meeting room of her work place, the main one. She looked into new work places and found three that suits her before, that week she met with every one of them with Sooyoung and decided the third one is the most suitable one. Since she decided a new work place, she feels better as she sits inside the meeting room all alone. She knows that Seohyun will get her fired anyway if she doesn't want to resign. It's better to do it with clarity and dignity, and most importantly, it's better to do it yourself.

Her colleagues start to get in and welcome her warmly, Yerim isn't specially close with any of them, but she has great relations with them so it's comfortable. Yerim talks with them until her phone vibrates in the pocket of her jeans, announcing Sooyoung replied to her text. Excitedly, she gets up and stays a bit away from them to read it.

“I believe in you, you are going to do well. Don't worry about anything at all, fighting!”

“I will, don't worry. I will handle this and get back home to cook myself, I feel hungry even though I had a good breakfast. What are you going to eat? Don't think about fast food again! You need to be healthy. Being in another country doesn't mean you can be careless about what you eat.”

“You are the one that will decide what I will eat.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I just came back to Korea and I will pick you up from there, don't go anywhere and wait for me.”

“When did you come? You should've told me, I would pick you up from the airport!” she types quickly as she checks her colleagues to make sure they are not watching her, she feels like even her own breath is too loud because of excitement.

“An hour ago, how could I surprise you like this if I told you beforehand? Come down after the meeting and wait for me.”

“You must have jetlag though, aren't you tired? Rest today, we can eat together tomorrow.”

“I'm fine, don't worry about me. Resign well and wait for me for delicious food.”

"Okay, take your time, I will wait."

How can someone resign well? Yerim thinks as she closes her phone because of the meeting. Their boss makes a small talk, the team splits the work and Yerim gets the least work in it when she usually gets the most, she is not surprised since she knew this would happen. She knew her boss wouldn't care enough to protect her when a famous, well-off writer like Han Seohyun doesn't want her here. She is angry but she tries to stay calm, since it will all be over after a few minutes.

The meeting ends shortly after the work distribution and her boss calls her to his room even before Yerim does, she sighs and walks to his office with heavy steps. You are a strong girl, Kim Yerim. You are. Just don't stutter, come to the point and do what you are here to do for. You can do it. She holds the envelope that says resignment latter and her box tightly, takes one last breaths and opens the heavy door.

Her boss is sitting on his chair, his eyes on his computer screen, acting like he is reading when he's watching Yerim from the window. She knows all of his tricks even after working for him a year only, he's not a complicated person. He likes money, and he likes his women, he has a good eye for publishing and other's asses for promotion. She should pick the right words while talking with him, because he has a bad temper. He turns to face Yerim after she stands right in front of his desk.

“How many times do I have to tell you to stay away from Seohyun, Yerim-sshi?”

“Not anymore, sir.” Yerim shortly replies and places her letter on his desk, making his eyes go wide with surprise and disbelief. He looks at the latter and the girl in front of him, it looks like he has a hard time understanding the situation since it's too sudden. Yerim decides to take advantage of his silence. “I want to resign. I will finish the work you give me quickly, you can pay me after I finish and send it. Also, place my drafts to this box please, it's written in my contract but I will repeat it: If I see any book using one of my ideas in your future books, I will sue you. It's nothing personal.”

“When did you decide this, where will you go? Why so suddenly?” he asks as he tries to catch up with her words.

“Suddenly? I think your first sentence explains your question very well. I'm leaving, sir.”

“Fine, since it's your decision I can't stop you.” he says as he gets up and places the drafts Yerim gave to him to the box and places her letter to his drawer. “Whenever you want, you can come back. I know that she's a pain in the but still, this place is always open for you. Your payment will be sent after you bring me the last work.”

“Thank you, sir.”

What Yerim expected was more of a cold farewell, not a warm one like this, so she's a little appalled. She takes her box and leaves the office immediately because she doesn't want to make Sooyoung wait longer. When she opens the door, she hears her boss calling out for her for the one last time.

“Before you go, I just want to say something. Your works are okay but not trendy and it doesn't have the efficiency that makes the reader want to keep reading. You have fresh ideas, I think your works will be okay after you take care of your wording. Your wording is always better as an editor, that's why I didn't make detailed commentary before. Your ideas are fresh but your writing style is dull, with nothing trendy in it. I know that you are a little hesitant about it but using some of them is not bad, it will make the reader want to keep reading. I'm sure your works will be better if you note down these and re-write them. I would like you to work as an editor, I know it's not my choice to make but still, I thought this is the best for you and wanted to channel you to this, thinking you would stop if I make my intention clear. Still, this is your life and you should make your own decisions. Keep working hard, I wish the best for you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Yerim feels better now that she finally got an answer from her boss about her works with no sugarcoating, she looks at the drafts in her box with a smile. Her boss' thoughts are also better than she imagined, so she feels relaxed as she walks to the meeting room. She tells her co-workers about the situation and gives them a warm farewell, they are surprised because of the sudden news, but they send Yerim well.

After handling all that, Yerim rushes down to make sure she doesn't make Sooyoung wait. She gets down and patiently waits for Sooyoung, thinking nothing can drop her mood at that moment and right after thinking that, she finds Han Seohyun walking to herself. She is with her crew again with a disgusting smirk on her face, Yerim decides to act like she doesn't see them again however she knows that she can't escape the end's meet because of the box she is carrying, Seohyun can easily understand that she left and that's probably the reason of the smirk anyway.

As she's trying to find a way to escape, she sees Sooyoung coming to her with her black car. She is wearing her sunglasses, but she is still recognizable and Yerim can cry because of happiness as the car comes and stops right on the place for her spot.

“Look at our poor little Yerim standing over there! You don't have a ride, do you? Will it be easy for you to get on a bus with that box, since taxi will be too expensive for you. Maybe you should throw the box to the trashcan, to where it belongs.”

“My ride just came, sunbae.” Yerim calmly says as she places her box at the back seat before getting in. “Even though I'm not your hoobae anymore, you are still kind enough to think about me, I'm thankful. Please don't think about me ever again in the future, it'll give you more wrinkles.”

Yerim sits on the front seat next to Sooyoung and Sooyoung starts the car as soon as Yerim sits after giving one last stare to Seohyun, feeling ten times better after doing so.

“Did I make you wait long?” she asks as she opens the radio and the back windows for Yerim to get some fresh air.

“No, not at all.” Yerim replies with a wide smile as she fastens her seat belt. “You came right on time, actually. Where are we going?”

“Surprise, just enjoy the ride.” Sooyoung playfully says as she winks to Yerim, making Yerim's heart beat faster. She looks adorable when she winks, it makes her feel like she is watching a car CF.

Sooyoung volumes up the radio and Yerim laughs at her tactics to make sure she won't question her more. She does as Sooyoung says and enjoys the ride with the music and Sooyoung next to her. She missed her a lot, she wasn't gone for long but it felt so long to Yerim. They aren't together for too long but Yerim misses her each moment when she isn't with her. So Yerim stares at her driver thinking if she will find the courage in herself to say that out loud to her.

“If you keep staring at the driver like that, it will make the driver want to stare back at you. Just saying.”

“Oh, it's good to know. I will stare once we reach to our destination.” Yerim's answer makes Sooyoung laugh and flutter inside, she feels like her ears are starting to burn a little, however she tries to stay calm.

“Can I ask what the stare is for?” Sooyoung asks with an excited tone, it makes Yerim's palms sweat. She can't decide how to answer, she wants to say she missed her directly but she is too shy to say it out because she is not sure that Sooyoung missed her as well. However, she can't come up with a better answer as well.

“Because I missed you, a lot.” she manages to say it bluntly and gets surprised at herself for being able to do so.

“I missed you too, a lot.” Sooyoung confesses shortly. Yerim smiles and feels better to know since she isn't the only one that missed, and she is actually missed by Sooyoung.

Without knowing what to do next, she volumes up the radio and cutely sings along with the song. Sooyoung decides to join her, and they enjoy the music as Sooyoung drives them to the secret restaurant. Yerim wows when they finally reach their destination, it looks so expansive! It is a little outside the city, so the air is clean and everywhere is green with long trees that flatters the color of the sky. They walk up the stairs to reach the entrance.

“How did you find this place?” she says in awe, trying to catch up with her breath.

“This place belongs to my friend's parents. Come on, it's better inside.”

Sooyoung reaches out a hand for Yerim who is behind her back at the stairs, Yerim rushes up and holds Sooyoung's hand after a quick stare. They walk inside hand in hand, they separate their hands after they hear the voice of an old woman.

“Please sit on the table you like, girls. I will bring the menu in a moment—oh, it is so nice to see you Sooyoung!”

“It is so nice to see you too, ajumma.”

“You are not alone this time,” ajumma says as she gives them the menus. “This is the first time she brings someone with her, I remember her telling me her wish to bring someone special to he—”

“Ajumma, I want noodles.” Sooyoung cuts her off by showing what she wants and coughs, making ajumma laugh. She later, she helps Yerim decide, without letting ajumma talk. Yerim finds nervous Sooyoung adorable.

Ajumma shows them the garden and tells them they can wait outside, with beautiful view and green and the girls agree to do so. Sooyoung rushes to play with the puppies and Yerim sits down on the bench, watches Sooyoung with a bright smile on her face — ajumma's unfinished sentence makes her smile. Sooyoung introduces the little puppies named Sunny and Rainy to Yerim, they are corgis and Yerim plays with them as well, with the help of Sooyoung since she's a little scared because she lacks experience. After feeding and playing with them, Yerim and Sooyoung sit on the bench together this time. Sitting on the bench makes the whole city lay under their feet and Yerim loves the view, it's breathtakingly beautiful, especially with the cold breeze. Sooyoung rests her head on Yerim's shoulder as they sit silently and watch the view, making Yerim laugh.

“What are you doing?” she asks as she covers from shyness, as she can't hide her smile.

“Resting, I have jet lag, remember?” Sooyoung whines as she also holds Sooyoung arm as she rests her head on her shoulder, smiling. “This is so relaxing.”

“It's the place that's relaxing, why did you keep this place to yourself when this place is almost heaven?”

“No, having you here with me is so relaxing.” Sooyoung says as she smiles. “I didn't have someone like you in my life before, that is why I kept this place to myself for long. I want to be here with someone who will cherish this place, just like I do. You are the first person I ever wanted to bring here, I'm glad I did.”

“I am happy that I'm here, I'm honored to be here.” Yerim says as she pets Sooyoung's hair with her free hand.

“You know what, I discovered something.” Sooyoung says as she stops resting her head and stares into Yerim's eyes, her face is standing next to her chin. “You know, spring met fall — according to us and the season we are in is winter but whenever we are together, I feel like it is summer. Strange, isn't it?”

“I feel the same too, to be honest.” Yerim shortly replies as the tension between them rises up.

“It's good to know that I'm not alone.”

Yerim stares into Sooyoung's eyes as Sooyoung slowly comes closer to her, they are almost nose to nose and Yerim can feel her palms sweating. She clenches her fists because she doesn't want to make it obvious. She closes her eyes as she predicts a kiss coming but Sooyoung takes a step back after seeing the ajumma watching them and asking them over for their meals, Embarrassed, they get up quickly and pretend like nothing just happened.

Sooyoung talks about her trip as they eat, making Yerim smile with her silly adventures. After they finish their meal, Sooyoung drives Yerim back to home right away. They don't talk much during the ride and sing just like they did when they were coming there. Both avoid other's eye contact because they don't know what to do if their eyes meet. They have a small talk and find themselves in front of their doors.

Yerim feels like something is missing as she opens the door for her flat. This is either a friendly meal or a first date, Yerim wants it to be a first date, and so she definitely feels like something is missing. Love makes someone bolder and daring, she said, she thinks. I want to be bolder and daring too

“Sooyoung, wait.”

“Yes?”

Sooyoung turns around sheepishly, her eyes look really tired. Jet lag and long drives, Yerim thinks and feels so thankful and bad at the same time for making Sooyoung work for her like this when she is tired, even though she didn't make her. She deserves it, she thinks and walks up to her with bolder steps, to give Sooyoung a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you for tonight.”

Yerim rushes to her flat and closes the door immediately after her small little kiss and hides herself inside her blanket, kicking them with both excitement and shyness for the first time, understanding the existance of the phrase.

 

---

 

Yerim smiles happily as she looks at her computer screen after stretching her arms.

Yerim sends the last work to her ex-workplace, sending the final e-mail makes everything more real and it places butterflies to Yerim's stomach. She will start working at her new work place in two days, which means until then she has time to work on her novels and it excites her. Now knowing what she needs to do with her work, she feels better as she goes through each one of them. She classifies them as 'the ones that need some work' and 'the ones that need extra work' and decides to start with the some work ones.

Before starting, she checks her phone to see if there's a message but there isn't one, Sooyoung still doesn't reply to her last message, which was sent three hours ago. Sooyoung is usually punctual with her texts, and they didn't have a trouble texting even after Yerim's kiss on her cheeks but that day is the first day Sooyoung doesn't reply. She is worried, but she also wants to be understanding to Sooyoung, she knows Sooyoung works hard, and she thinks that she must be having a bad day.

She hears a knock on the door when she is at the third chapter of her first novel, surprised because she doesn't expect anyone. Yerim opens the door without checking because she thinks it's the doorman or Stephanie, there's no one who would visit her at that hour, 10pm at night. However, it's someone unexpected, Sooyoung, a very drunk Sooyoung that falls into her arms immediately.

Finally, I came to Yerim!

“Sooyoung, what—”

Yerim carries her to the kitchen and makes her sit down on the chair as she gets some cold water and dark coffee to help her sober up. Even though Sooyoung is drunk, she just stares at Yerim and does everything she says. Sooyoung watches her as she mutters something, Yerim can't hear her voice clearly. Sooyoung says she feels better after the drinks but still, Yerim thinks she needs a shower because of the smell on her and prepares the bathroom, towels and clean outfits for her. Sooyoung thanks her as she gets in, Yerim listens to the door to make sure she doesn't fall down or need anything else. After showering and dressing up, Sooyoung comes to Yerim's bedroom and sits on her bed with a towel for her hair.

“Better now, huh?” Yerim asks as she sits down in front of Sooyoung this time as Sooyoung sits on her bed, just like Sooyoung did at the park before. “Why did you drink this much, I know you don't like drinking. At least, not this much.”

“It was a work dinner, sunbaes kept pouring drinks for their hoobaes and I couldn't refuse at some point...” Sooyoung says as she tries to dry her hair with the towel.

“And... That's it?” Yerim asks as she raises an eyebrow, she is sure that Sooyoung is hiding something. A doubtful stare is enought to make Sooyoung start speaking.

“And... I had a bad day, an awful one to be honest.” she says as she pouts and rubs her face with her trembling fingers, she stops using the towel and looks at Yerim's eyes. “Sorry, I'm showing you my worst today.”

“Don't worry, I don't think this is your worst. Also, someone who is wise said to me that when you are hurt, there's no need to cover up for it.”

“Someone who is wise? Shouldn't you at least say my best friend or something? I feel old now.” Sooyoung frowns and Yerim smiles at how cute she can be when she's whiny. Her nose and cheeks still being red from before also makes her even more adorable.

“Maybe I don't address you as my best friend because I want to be more than best friends with you?”

Sooyoung is so surprised that she drops her towels and Yerim catches them for her, ties up her hair with it to make sure she doesn't get cold and wet her new outfit. Yerim is even more surprised with herself, it was only her inner thought, she said it out loud unintentionally. Sooyoung looks at her with round eyes as she looks like she tries to find something to say, Yerim gives her the time.

“Am I too drunk?” Sooyoung asks sheepishly as she tries to take over the towel from Yerim but fails when she realizes its already on her head, so she gives faint slaps to her cheeks to make sure she isn't dreaming.

“No, you are of course way better than when you first came in, with my ultimate care.” Yerim gives her a wink and Sooyoung just blinks, trying to understand Yerim's words.

“So... You want to be more than just friends with me?” Sooyoung asks with round, excited eyes that are fixed on Yerim's.

“What would your answer be if I told you so?” Yerim asks back shyly as she looks down, she is trying to be bold and daring, but she can't be that bold and daring yet. She looks down as she sits right in front of Sooyoung, playing with her fingers due to nervousness.

“You need to ask it first, to get an answer.” Sooyoung says as she lifts up her chin with her thumb and makes Yerim look back at her. “Ask it, please.”

Yerim stares at Sooyoung's shiny eyes before she says something, she is trying to find a spark in them that will give her some confidence. She decides to think about the park, the restourant, all the texts; she is sure about her feelings and she doesn't have a reason to think Sooyoung is indifferent to her. Gather up your courage, Yerim-ah, or you will regret this moment forever. Don't let it go.

“I—I like you, Park Sooyoung. A lot, to the point where I miss yoy every moment I don't see you, think about you all day long, do silly things and feel the different emotions all together that I never felt before. Do - do you like me too?” Yerim confesses, trying to sound as confident as possible as she looks into Sooyoung's shiny, bright eyes.

“Yes... I love you too, Kim Yerim.” Sooyoung replies, cupping Yerim's cheeks and giving her a kiss — her very first kiss.

Yerim must admit that it is a strange feeling at first, but it's electric, tender but rough at the same time — something indescribable for Yerim. Sooyoung lets her go after a few kisses, she doesn't want to go too hard on the newbie. After the kiss, they stop as their nose touch and take at the moment after finally letting out of the things they kept hidden for long. Sooyoung realizes the computer is open at that moment.

“Did I bother you while you were working? I'm sorry.”

“Don't be, it's okay. I'm just revising it and it's going good.” Yerim replies as she saves the folder and closes the computer. She sits on the bed this time, next to Sooyoung. “Actually there is something I want to tell you about it.”

“What is it?” Sooyoung asks curiously.

“You are my muse lately.” Yerim says shyly. “When I resigned, my boss gave me his critics about my work, and he said they lack the sense of love. You are the only one I ever loved, only you came to my mind when I thought about love. So, I started to think about you when I write.”

“I'm a muse? Wow, this is a strange, somewhat nice feeling. I require only two things as your muse...”

“There are things you require?”

“Indeed there is, it is hard being a muse.”

“You just found out that you are a muse, how long did it take to decide how hard it is?” Yerim asks sarcastically but Sooyoung acts like she doesn't hear what Yerim says.

“First, give me a special note when you publish the album on the first page. And second... Can I stay over tonight?” Sooyoung asks as she looks down, Yerim decides to make her talk about her bad day.

Sooyoung works at a famous company, but she is unhappy with her sunbaes actions lately, their ignoring and careless behaviors during and after work time. Sooyoung spoke up to them for the first time today, with the stupid courage that alcohol gave to her, and she regrets her words now and fears about her job. Yerim calms her down and comforts her saying that it is a good thing she steps up to talk, and she picked a good time because they might not remember or tolerate considering it's because of alcohol and even if they do, they might not consider it badly at all. Sooyoung gives out a deep breath after talking with Yerim, showing that she feels way better now.

“Of course you can, I'll prepare the—” Yerim says as she gets up.

“No, let's stay together.” Sooyoung says as she catches her from her arm.

Yerim feels uneasy because she is a heavy sleeper with lots of sleeping habits and she doesn't want to show any of them to Sooyoung, so she tries to warn her about them but it doesn't work because Sooyoung insists that they don't bother her at all, when they might. They place another pillow to the bed and get ready to sleep. Sooyoung lays closer to the wall and backhugs Yerim giving her a quick heart attack as she lays down.

“I might kung fu you during sleeping, just saying.” Yerim says as she turns to look at Sooyoung.

“Don't worry, I'll fight back and won't let you fall.” Sooyoung says and hugs her tightly. “Good night, Yerim.”

“Good night, Sooyoung.” Yerim says as she leans onto Sooyoung, closing her eyes with a pounding heart for the very first time.

 

---

 

Four months later, Yerim meets with her professor just like she promised to him on her e-mail before, to talk things through face to face. They meet at her university, early in the morning and walk together around the campus with their coffees. Yerim explains everything to him, one by one, and tears up at some parts because of the soothing feeling of being able to talk about everything and let everything out. Professor Choi listens to her carefully, without cutting her off not for once, from the very beginning to end and her back for support after Yerim finishes.

“You should have told me before, I would kick his selfish . I thought he was a nice person even though he was a little ambitious, that's why I sent him my precious student to him and look at how he wasted you to kiss someone else's . He thought you would be better of as an editor only, huh? That's not up to him, why waste your will? Why didn't you do anything about it?”

“It's my fault, just like you said I should've been more brave and send them directly to you instead of waiting for two years. It all happened this way because I was stupid enough to force myself to do somethings when I shouldn't. I'm sorry, for not telling you earlier.”

“Don't be sorry, you are just a responsible and sensitive child, this is how you grow up. Anyway, let's stop talking about that rotten place... and talk about your new working place. Looking at you, it looks like they pay you well. Seeing you coming here with your own car almost made me cry.”

Yerim laughs and takes a sip from her coffee as she playfully eyes her professor and makes him laugh as well. It is been four months since she works there, and she is so happy that she can't believe it herself. They pay her well, they let her write and more importantly, they let her publish her works. She feels so happy when she wakes up in the morning to do her work, this feeling is strange to her because it's new to her. After all she's been through, it feels like this feeling isn't real but a dream. It has been a month and Yerim still thinks it is all a good dream that she shouldn't wake up from. Not waking up is only possible by working hard and Yerim is ready and willing for it as always.

“I have somethings to show you.” she says as she opens her bag and takes out a magazine from it, she hides her bag from sight after taking it to hide the white packet inside and below it.

“My first published articles are in here.” she says as she hands out the magazine to him. Professor Choi starts reading it happily and Yerim takes the advantage of taking his attention to somewhere else. “And... here's the first print of my book that will come out next month.”

“Your book?” he asks with surprised eyes and takes the other packet from Yerim's hands, almost dropping his coffee and falling down because of a wrong step. “You should have told me! You bad child...”

He holds the book in his hands very dearly, he looks at the cover with a fatherly, warm smile and starts looking at it for every detail. He reads the special note in the first page with a smile, he reads the special note on the second page with teary eyes. He looks at Yerim and the page on repeat, wiping away the only tears that wet his cheeks.

"This wasn't necessary, Yerim-ah, thank you." he says as he holds the book tightly. “This makes you feel very warm even by just looking at it, I like it.” he says and takes a quick look inside. “I will finish it and quickly give my criticism to my favorite student.”

“I'll be waiting for it, professor-nim. Thank you.”

“I have to go to the class now.” he says after checking his watch,  he holds his magazine and book on the same hand and gives Yerim a hug. “Keep working hard, Yerim-ah. I'm proud of you.”

I'm proud of you, this sentence makes Yerim's eyes teary as she hugs him back, since it's the sentence she is been longing to hear. She remembers her conversation with Sooyoung at the park that night, she was right. After the short hug, she watches her professor walk to the facuilty building and checks the time, it is time to get Sooyoung from the airport.

Sooyoung is trying to sneakily come back without telling anyone and make a surprise but after dating for four months, Yerim won't buy it. She even knows who to call from work to get the information, she has her little birds whispering to her from there. It is their fourth month already and Sooyoung still loves to surprise and trick Yerim, meanwhile Yerim slowly learns not to buy any of them. She is happy with Sooyoung's surprises, but she also wants to make surprises to her.

She drives to the airport immediately, looking at the sign she prepared before on the passenger seat makes her smile and imagine Sooyoung's reaction when she sees it. How shocked and touched she would be once she sees Yerim there with her handmade banner... Thinking about the banner is quite funny because Yerim worked so hard on it to fool Sooyoung: she prepared a two-sided banner that says simply 'Park Sooyoung' at one side and looks completely formal, it will deceive Sooyoung thinking Yerim comes from work to pick her up. However, on the other side, there is Yerim's cute 'Welcome back Sooyoungie' banner with at least fifty hearts on it, she drew them all night long. She smiles widely with the thought of fooling Sooyoung, but she does her best to calm herself down, to make sure she is on her right mind for her surprise.

After coming to the airport, she puts on a mask and hat, and holds onto her banner tightly as she waits for Sooyoung to come out. She breathes out with relax when she realizes that she came right on time, Park Sooyoung walks to her just half an hour after she comes. Sooyoung has her comfortable clothes, she had a long flight that's probably why she chose them, and her hair is open and messy. She also looks at the banner angrily thinking the person holding it is from work.

“I told you that I don't want anyone to pick me up, I remember telling you this very clearly. Why did you come, who told you to come?”

“Myself, actually.” Yerim says as she takes off her mask and hat, making Sooyoung's mouth fall open to the ground. “Darling, you should get used to the fact that it's not going to be you who always makes the surprises.”

“How did you get—you got it from Kang Seulgi, am I wrong?”

Yerim loves how good her girlfriend is at guessing when it comes to matters like this, but she tries to avoid the answer and changes the topic to her trip to protect her bird's identity. Sooyoung of course doesn't easily fall for it, but she is too tired to interrogate the situation, she just follows Yerim instead. They place her luggage to the car and the way they sit reminds Sooyoung four months ago where the chairs were completely the opposite, and she smiles at her girlfriend who is fastening her seat belt as the driver.

“If you keep staring at the driver like that, it will make the driver want to stare back at you. Just saying.”

Sooyoung laughs at Yerim's sudden attack as she is flustered at her own line being told her like that. Yerim also doesn't tell her what she has for the rest of the day, she feels like she came back to that day four months ago. Sooyoung looks at her driver with admiration, how much more confident and happy she is now. She lets Yerim be the boss and drive her to the secret location she thinks she already knows. She is right, Yerim drives them to the restaurant Sooyoung's friends parents own, and they visited four months ago.

“Why here?” Sooyoung asks as she takes off her belt and holds Yerim's hands. She is standing on the first ladder of the stairs and holds Sooyoung's hands tightly.

“I will explain. Come on, let's order first.”

They rush up to the stairs and the ajumma greets them with the same smile but also with a hug this time. They order their food and walk outside, to the bench they sat before. The view is still breathtaking, and they stay silent for a while as they take it all in, both the view and the cold breeze. Yerim then starts speaking since she promised Sooyoung she will explain before. It is spring now, Sooyoung's month, but it is colder than it is usually.

“I wanted to come back here today with you because... well, this is the place I realized that I love you. To be honest, I had this feeling about you ever since we met but this is where I named it and I think that's how I was able to confess like that. I was even able to tell you that you are my muse and all... And now, as my muse, I must give you your requirements.”

“What do you mean, you already let me do the second one that night—” Sooyoung says and gets it the moment the words come out of , she gets up with excitement. “Is the first one happening?! IS IT REALLY HAPPENING?!”

“Calm down, Sooyoung-ah. It already did, it will come out next month but this is my special first print.” Yerim explains as she makes Sooyoung sit down and hands the book to her. “For you and professor-nim only.”

Sooyoung opens the white packet and holds the book dearly with shocked pupils that keep comes and goes between Yerim and the book. The cover has a girl sitting on a purple swing as a girl with a green hoodie sits in front of her. It immediately brings back the park moments and Sooyoung smiles widely. She touches the letters soon, turns the book in her hands and looks at Yerim with proud eyes. She kisses Yerim, the kiss they couldn't have four months ago happens and Yerim's heart beats like that kiss is their first when it isn't.

“I love you, Kim Yerim.” she says as she holds onto her book tightly and rests her head on her shoulder, just like she did four months ago.

“I love you too, Park Sooyoung.”


Title: Fall Meets Spring

—For Park Sooyoung,
For making me believing that not all dark clouds bring a storm, that they sometimes just come and leave without creating a fuss. This book is for you.