Late Night

Three Unread Messages

A large monitor sat in front of you as soft light was cast from the screen onto your figure, the rest of the room was dim, a pair of headphones encased your ears as your left hand rested on the keyboard in front of you while your right hand rested on the mouse. Importing the sound bites from your latest artist recording session, you began to work with the instrumental audio. Layering the vocals and artificial sound bites over top of it. Leaning back against your chair, you played the song as you closed your eyes and listened to it from beginning to end. Adjusting some of the vocals to meet the timing of the instrumentals, you pushed one headphone off of your ear as you began to work once more.

A knock came from your door as you called for them to come in. Removing the headphones from your ears, you placed them down on the desk in front of you as you spun in your chair around to meet your guest.

“Joonkyung, what a nice surprise!” You chimed happily as you rose from your chair to wrap him in a hug. Joonkyung wrapped his arms around you and gave you a friendly hug. Pulling away, you looked up at the dark circles around his eyes.

“Do you happen to have time to help me with some lyrics… I just can’t get it for this song…” Joonkyung shifted his weight from side to side knowing that it was a big request for someone that is as busy as you.

“Sure, if you want to you can make yourself at home. I will come and help you in a moment, when I finish up the chorus sequence.” You told him with a bright smile on your face

“Alright! I will be right back with my stuff” Joonkyung called as he pulled open the door. Returning to your seat, you pulled those headphones over your ears once more as you returned to your work.

Joonkyung returned to your recording studio as he pulled out his notepad and began to file through the pages to find the latest version of the song that he was working on. Finishing up the chorus, you saved your work and exited out of the program before grabbing your phone and heading over towards the couch.

“What is the story you want to tell?” You questioned, looking onto his paper at all of the scribbles, scratches, arrows and words that jumbled together to form his ideas.

“I want to tell about the happiest moment of your life, like when you find out someone loves you back, when you get engaged, when you find out that you are going to have a little family, when the little things in life pile up and you just fall in love with life, with your story and with your journey ahead.” Joonkyung explained as you could feel the passion for this song extending past the lyrics that he had written.

“I love it! What part are you having troubles with?” You leaned over to get a glance at his notes as he showed them to you and pointed the troubled parts.

Working through some of the problems, he couldn’t help but to catch glances at you. Writing your own notes on a piece of paper, you tapped the eraser nub against your pink lips.

“It’s like I want to put baby right there but then it might imply too much with the whole having a little family” Joonkyung explained as you nodded along.

“I know what you mean… it kinda fits but you don’t want to mix it up when you use that word in a different part of the song… you could use kiddo but that is not really used…” You pondered out loud as you dropped your eyes down to the loose fabric covering your figure.

“What would you use to call your little one… you know if you were gonna have one with Jay?” Joonkyung suggested to help you two brainstorm as you stood up and dropped your pencil on the pad of paper.

“I’m gonna get a drink of water and I’ll be back” You told him, tugging at the bottom hem of your shirt

“O-Okay, I’ll be here” Joonkyung told you as his eyes followed your figure exit the room. His eyes scanned the room slowly while in thought as he saw your water bottle sitting on top of your desk as a feeling began to churn in his stomach that something more was happening.

Returning his eyes to the lined paper in front of him, he tapped the of his pen against the metal spiraled edge. Minutes ticked by as Joonkyung reclined on the couch, lifting up his leg and crossing it over his other one just as he jotted down a possible idea. Bringing the end of the pen between his pink lips, the door opened as he turned his head to see you enter back through the door.

“Did you find the water fountain okay?” Joonkyung returned his eyes to the scribbled over page between his fingers.

“Yeah, I just took a little walk too” You padded across the room, grabbing your own notebook from off of your table as you took your seat next to Joonkyung, while you changed the subject,. “So how is the song going?”

“It’s going… I just wish I knew what to put in this part.” He sat forwards and turned the paper towards you so that you could see the few lines of lyics that he had jotted down.

Your eyes scanned the page as you tapped your hand against your thigh as you found the beat. “Why don’t you add a filler word here, like and oooh or something?” You suggested thinking that he could benefit from something a little bit more.

“I have thought about adding either babe or baby” He mumbled in uncertainty as you shifted your weight on the couch cushion.

“I guess you could see which one of those words that fit there” You shrugged one of your shoulders as your mind instantly flipped to a personal connection. “I just see babe or baby used a lot, you could use a different word there to stand out.”

Joonkyung watched you become unfortable as he left it be for the moment. A chime of your phone notified you of a new text. Slipping your phone from your pocket, you unlocked it with the touch of your finger as the conversation from your husband. Positioning your fingers to reply to his text, you replied that you were staying late with Joonkyung and added that he shouldn’t worry before you hit the send button.

Hours began to slip by as the two of you slowly made progress on his song. Leaning back, you rested your feet upon the coffee table positioned in front of the couch. Tapping the eraser of your pencil against your plump lips, your eyes moved over the troubling line of lyrics. Joonkyung stood up and walked around the room in an attempt to clear his head for inspiration to flow. Allowing his eyes to wander, he paused as his eyes fell onto you, how you always showed off your comfortable, simple yet elegant fashion that seemed tailored perfectly to your personality and your body shape. Leaning against the cabinets lined against the back wall, Joonkyung zoned out of the present while his mind wandered. Lifting your eyes from your paper, you spotted Joonkyung as you clicked your tongue against the roof of your mouth to get his attention.

“Huh?” Joonkyung hummed as he snapped back into the present

“What are you thinking about over there?” You cooed as you sat up from your slouched position on the couch.

“Well…” He paused wondering if he should be honest or adjust his thoughts, “I just think you look very beautiful today… almost more beautiful than usual..”

Hearing his voice taper off towards the end as his eyes dropped towards the floor, your jaw opened slightly as your eyes staggered to find something else to focus on.

“It must the the motherly glow” You teased trying to lighten the heavy comment

“Wait… are you… are you pregnant?” Joonkyung’s voice dropped off to a whisper as he quickly sat next to you on the couch.

Nodding your head slightly, you watched a smile beam across his face as he flung his arms around you and pulled you into a tight hug. Smiling into his shoulder, you lifted your arm and patted his shoulder before the two of you broke the hug and returned to work on the lyrics with more determination to finish.